SM UU Church of Horford

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Church of Horford RMT ready.PNG

Introduction

Hey y'all, Sage here with my first RMT! I haven't done one of these before, and figured now was as good of a time as any to do so. This team's had success in a couple tournament games and various test matches, and I really just wanted to give this a shot. Been around UU on and off for five years, finally sticking around for an extended amount of time again now, yet somehow I still haven't made an RMT, kinda stupid I know. Before we get started, I gotta thank yeezyknows, founding member of the Church of Horford, praise be to him. Nothing else to it really, let's get on with the show.

Teambuilding Process

So, there are some people I know who take lots of time, even weeks, to make their teams. That's great, I love how much detail and how obsessive they are over finding the right fits. For me, all my good teams are generally created in under ten minutes. The Church of Horford is the same, coming in a momentary flash of brilliance after my UUPL teammate requested a team around Band Swampert, an interesting breaker with tons of surprise factor. After a furious 8 or so minutes, the team was completed and I haven't changed a single set. I've standardized some EVs to not show certain custom spreads, but the team will perform just as well with standard ones.

Swampert Mini.png
Band Swampert was the obvious focal point of the team. It can surprise many Pokemon that normally pivot on it such as offensive Scizor and hit them for heavy damage. My main priority for finding partners for Swampert came down to two things. First, I wanted to find a Stealth Rock user that would help bluff Pert's CB and disguise it as the rocker, and secondly, I wanted a special breaker to help wear down physical tanks.

Swampert Mini.pngMaero Mini.png
Mega Aerodactyl was the first teammate chosen, due to its ability to pull off an unorthodox Stealth Rock set and help support Swampert.

Swampert Mini.pngMaero Mini.pngSerp Mini.png
Serperior was the next choice, being a low risk high reward special attacker, also aiding in the Stall matchup with SubSeed shenanigans.

Swampert Mini.pngMaero Mini.pngSerp Mini.pngTogekiss Mini.png
The next partner was Togekiss, with my own take on a set Pak posted in the SPL dump (which I believe he stole from TDK), support scarf. It provides some secondary speed control should Maero die, as well as performing all the usual boons Support Togekiss provides. Needed Defog over Thunder Wave, but with every member of my team being relatively fast besides Swampert, didn't see much of an issue there.

Swampert Mini.pngMaero Mini.pngSerp Mini.pngTogekiss Mini.pngRaikou Mini.png
The team was looking a little too stagnant for my liking, so I thought ways to grab momentum through pivoting would be valuable. When your Mega slot is already taken, Raikou is pretty much the go-to Electric, with the Rotom formes / Magneton being more specialized, and pretty much everything else being unviable. Choice Specs provides the team with another fast breaker and more importantly, a strong Volt Switch.

Swampert Mini.pngMaero Mini.pngSerp Mini.pngTogekiss Mini.pngRaikou Mini.pngScizor Mini.png
The second of the two pivots, Scizor fits in nicely in the last slot. Here I'm running a criminally underutilized Buginium-Z Swords dance set, that can combine the power of U-turn pivoting and strong Z-move breaking, a great fit for the team.

In Depth Overview

swampert.gif

HORFORD'S FORM (Swampert) @ Choice Band

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Facade

The star of the show, named after the greatest big man of all time, Al Horford (citation needed). Choice Band Swampert is a good band user on its own merits, but when combined with the obscurity of the tech compared to standard Defensive sets, it can be played to devastating results. Waterfall and Earthquake are your go to STAB options, with Water/Ground being great neutral coverage vs everything except for Grass types and Levitating Dragons. You'd be surprised how hard this guy hits, doing 80% to offensive Scizor with Earthquake. Ice Punch is the most important coverage, nailing the ever present Grass types in UU like Serperior, Breloom, and Celebi, as well as hitting Hydreigon and Latias hard. In the last slot I had the option of Superpower and Facade. Superpower was an intriguing option for it's usage as a high power midground when I don't want to risk a 50/50 on a STAB, but I ultimately decided Facade was more useful since it gave Swampert safety against Scald users and other Status moves it might take. This is crucial since it's one of the only team members that likes to pivot into Tentacruel. I've opted for max Speed Jolly here. Adamant is an option, but nailing Adamant Scizor's before they U-turn is one of the most common in game scenarios you could find for Pert, and I don't like giving that up.

aerodactyl-mega.gif

UNCLE DREW (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Just like Kyrie, Mega Aerodactyl is the point guard for my team, with a blazing fast speed tier and great coverage. Maero isn't commonly the rocker on most teams, but it's performed the role very well for the Church here, consistently finding opportunities on forced switches to get them up. Swampert looking like the rock user also helps in that regard. Stone Edge is pretty much mandatory on any set, you need it to check threats like Togekiss, Mega Pidgeot, and Crobat. Earthquake and the much less common Aqua Tail were chosen to give Maero the best possible spread against opposing rockers that might try to come in and keep up in the hazards war. Cobalion, Hippowdon, Rhyperior, and Gliscor are all hit by this range. Mega Aero rarely has to use Rocks more than once, as this team doesn't rely on hazards to break and ends games relatively quickly due to the large number of lures / uncommon sets. As long as you abuse the free turns your opponent spends removing, Aerodactyl's relatively poor sustainability won't bother you.

serperior.gif

GORDO (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

The clutch man himself, a shame he got no time this season (#PrayForHayward). Serperior's an incredibly reliable win condition due to it's ease of use, seriously you just click Leaf Storm and watch things drop. HP Fire hits the ever present Scizor and other Steel-types. I've opted for a SubSeed set here because Swampert and Mega Aero were more inclined to threatening Offensive archetypes, and I wanted something to keep momentum against slower teams. Leech Seed allows you to conserve Leaf Storm PP while still pressuring UU's resident special walls like Blissey. It's also vital for the overall team sustain, as a lot of Pokemon on my team that usually carry Leftovers have Choice items or a Z-Crystal instead. Not a ton to say about Serp, it'll continue to be one of the most threatening win cons in the tier for a long time.

togekiss.gif

JAYSON (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Defog
- Roost

Jayson Tatum was the unproven rookie on the Celts, yet he performed admirably in big time games. Togekiss here is our rookie so to speak, utilizing a very unorthodox set that even I was doubting when I added it. What we have here is your basic support Kiss, except with a Choice Scarf. You still retain your great natural bulk, and can bluff the full support set easily by defogging in the early game (you can see my game vs Bushtush as an example of this.) Trick is one of my crucial anti-stall / balance techs, allowing Togekiss to severely limit one of my opponent's walls. Serene Grace Air Slash is still the most annoying STAB move to deal with of all time, and with the added speed from Choice Scarf you can flinch down everything from Crobat and below. Even though it's a Scarf set, Roost was definitely a must for me, as Togekiss is crucial in my Breloom matchup and I need it to stay healthy throughout a match. The rookie of our team turned out to be one of it's hidden gems.

raikou.gif

SCARY TERRY (Raikou) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Raikou is everywhere in the match at once, just like Terry Rozier on defense. I really wanted some pivots to round this team out, and Raikou was my best option for a good Volt Switch user. With its dual Electric STABs hitting very hard off of a Choice Specs boosted 115 SpA, once the opposing Ground type is removed Raikou goes to work. Hidden Power Ice hits said ground types very hard, as well as Dragons like Mega Sceptile and Hydreigon. Shadow Ball rounds out the coverage with a higher damage output versus Electric checks like Latias and Celebi, as well as a stronger midground against Ice neutral Ground types like Swampert and Seismitoad. Raikou also brings a decent amount of defensive utility to the team, resisting Scizor's Bullet Punch and checking dangerous fliers. I was very happy to be able to use Raikou in a non sweeping slot, and it has performed its pivoting role very well.

scizor.gif

ARON BAENES (Scizor) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Aron Baynes came out of nowhere as a 3-point sharpshooter and quality role player, just like Buginium-Z Scizor, a criminally underused set that combines some of the best parts about Scizor's role as a pivot and a sweeper in one set. Bullet Punch gives some much needed priority to the team, offering a form of speed control against speed boosting sweepers, as well as just being ridiculously strong in general even without a boosting item once boosted with a Swords Dance. U-turn let's Scizor bring in my other breakers safely, and soften up the opposing team so it or Serperior / Togekiss can clean later. Savage Spin Out is an awesome tech that I've had a great time utilizing. You can catch Swampert, Quagsire, and other Bug neutral tanks off guard by popping it at +2. Roost allows it stay healthy throughout the match, which is really important when facing threats like Latias. The only EV spread I didn't completely standardize, I wanted some bulk to fight Latias more effectively. The Speed is for 8 speed Klefki, so you can hopefully Bullet Punch it before it paralyzes you or gets an extra Spike down.

Threatlist:

Cobalion Shuffle.png
Cobalion: Probably the scariest cleaner to face, if attack boosted Raikou / Toge can revenge, if Speed boosted Pert takes a hit and koes, but with its unpredictability on the double dance set, it can force some tough 50/50s during the midgame.

Haxorus Shuffle.png
Haxorus: Since I'm generally relying on unboosted speed, a +1 Haxorus can be very threatening. However, nothing on the team lets it set up for free bar Togekiss not locked into Air Slash and a Waterfall locked Swampert. If you keep Scizor healthy it will have a hard time sweeping. SD variants are easily revenge killed by most of the team.

Blissey Shuffle.pngAlomomola Shuffle.png
Stall: Not really unwinnable, but you have to play smartly and execute your nukes at the right time to win the stall MU. Pivot around with Raikou / Scizor and use Serp's Leech Seed liberally in the early game. Scizor's Z move can be great for surprising a slightly chipped Quagsire, after you SD to bait it in. Swampert's Earthquake is surprisingly strong on AloQuag and can at least force in Gliscor.

Replays:

HANTSUKI.PNG xmarth.PNG Bushtush.PNG

Swampert @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Facade

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Defog
- Roost

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

yeezyknows: Already said most of what I wanted to in the intro, you da HEATMAN. Let's keep it up rival >:D
Blackoblivion: You inspired this team with a random ass liking for Band Pert, and it ended up being one of my most successful teams ever! Thanks for being a great teammate and letting me get to practice my building.
vivalospride: One of the chillest dudes on the site, always fun to fuck around with for randbats, and super great friend. PS: You're a hottie <3
Amane Misa: My fellow classical music fan, you've taught me what a fugue is, which is way more important than anything else i've ever learned on this god dang site. You're such a good friend, can't wait to see you kick ass in later tours.
Kink: My dad, you've taught me so much and really developed me as a player. You're also a super chill dude to talk about hoops and real life with. #IgnoreTheHaters
Sacri': My mom, you kick my ass constantly and shoot down all my silly ideas and I love you for it. I hope I get to beat your ex-bf on the ladder again sometime.
EviGaro #1 of my RU core, for the love of god have mercy on my ass, you've beat me with more shitmons than I care to count. Really glad I made sure you got picked up by the Battle Girls, and can't wait to win RULT now (not really.)
Juuno: #BringBackD2. JK, love you, thanks for being my #1 fan and starting a really shitty catchphrase.
DraconicLepus: More like DraconicBestus amirite? You're amazing, keep your confidence high and you'll improve before you know it.
Eyan: My long lost mafia friend, been fun dealing with UU shenanigans with you,
martha: You're the greatest, it's been awesome training with you and having you on our team, keep it up and you're gonna shine for a long time.
Darksafadao: An awesome guy, your stories are amazing and you're just really down to earth. You also have some unique building ideas, keep em coming!
PinkDragonTamer: One of my best friends from a mons perspective, just a great person to bounce ideas off of, you always seem to have the opposite thought processes I do, and catch things I miss. Your support is appreciated and chilling with you is great as well.
itsjustdrew: Sometimes it tough but don't lose motivation, you're gonna be a great player and I can't wait to work with you more. Thanks for all your tests and support!
faded love: While you can't call me Sage of the Draco anymore, i'm sure you'll find some other terrible nickname soon enough. Keep it real.
Nightingales: Go on a date with me.
MrAldo: RU friend #2, love your Narcos lookin ass, been great fun playing GSC with you and just chilling in RU server.
Clefable pokeisfun: keep on being yourselves, you always brighten my day with a bap. Maybe one day i'll get absorbed into the Mengularity.
Hogg: Thanks for being someone I could talk to when I first got back and didn't know any of the new people, as well as getting to fuck around in horrible old gens.
CoolStoryBrobat: One of my mentors in the 2013-14 days, you taught me more than you know, and I hope your IRL is going well.
Donphantastic: Another old guy, its been awesome reconnecting with you over the last six(?) months i've been back.
Accelgor: Glad to see you around now and again, thanks for always having my back and helping me get back on my feet when I came back to UU after being gone so long.
A Cake Wearing A Hat: The randbats king, I've learned far too many obscure metas and facts just by talking to you on the reg, keep working on those necrodancer records!
Shiba: Lad.
eht: I'm gay. Keep being you and thanks for being a great friend.
Lixx : OG homie, was glad to see you weren't dead. We should dust off skype and get a call going sometime.
Vegalius : Thanks for being a great first tutee, it's been fun, let's keep up the good work!
Rest of the Battle Girls: Pohjis The Kyle Heysup Mazz Ernesloru YouthBerry Rodriblutar Kory2600: We're taking the chip this year, let's not slow down now! Been great fun so far this season.
Rest of UU: bla bla fat Ihiihuio SilvioGuacamole bebo7788 dingbat Technosis Ark Freeroamer Yifeng xMarth Hilomilo Smallsmallrose sparrow Miraklez explodingdaisies: Too many of you to name, here are some of the people that I've enjoyed company with, and I apologize in advance to the people I missed x.x
Rest of RU: roman zizalith Robert Alfons Stan Soojung DurzaOffTopic: thank you guys for helping me get into RU, a somewhat less cool than UU but still cool tier!
Random Friends I don't know where to place help: Brandon~ babsus Cam jumbowhales London13 allstarapology nui Chloe a deer Rekeri : You're all fantastic! I am running out of things to say sorry you get the short end of the stick ;-;

Eren would be here if he wasn't banned. If I missed anyone, sorry! I might have gone a little overboard with the tagging since it was my first one and STILL missed peeps, seriously I talk to way too many of you.

Most importantly:
'sei.: welcome back brother

Swampert back.gif
aerodactyl-mega back.gif
serp back.gif
Togekiss back.gif
raikou back.gif
scizor back.gif

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the team. Al Horford approves of this RMT!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)