move 2: High Jump Kick
move 3: U-turn / Substitute
move 4: Sucker Punch / Bounce / Taunt
item: Focus Sash / Choice Band / Choice Scarf
ability: Blaze
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Cinderace aims to use Dynamax as a means to sweep with incredibly hard-hitting moves once it has Dynamaxed. Due to its high Speed and great typing, it also makes an excellent lead. U-turn allows Cinderace to be a fast, fairly offensive pivot. Sucker Punch is useful for hitting Dragapult, and pairs especially well with Focus Sash. Bounce is a great secondary option for sweeping with Cinderace, allowing it to get a Speed boost while Dynamaxed. Taunt is another option in the fourth slot that can be good with Focus Sash to lead to prevent the foe from setting up hazards or boosts. Focus Sash allows Cinderace, which is very squishy, to always survive one hit when needed. Choice Band or Choice Scarf can be used depending on whether power or speed is more important. Other options include, Liechi Berry, which can be paired with Substitute to potentially let Cinderace sweep in Blaze. Life Orb and Charcoal are also reasonable offensive boosting options, especially when using Substitute.

Cinderace works well with Pokemon that deal with Gyarados and other Water-types as well as Dragapult. Because of this, good partners are Mimikyu and Rotom-W. Excadrill can also be an issue, so Corviknight can be a decent partner, one which also covers Gyarados and switches into Mimikyu. It should be noted that Cinderace can actually work quite well with its fellow starter Rillaboom due to Rillaboom covering Water types and baiting in Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Ika Ika Musume, 165529]]
- Quality checked by: [[cant say, 158401], [greilmercenary9, 336524]]
- Grammar checked by: [[lotiasite, 302985]]

Last edited by a moderator:
Without being a very experienced trainer I want to make a small case for zen headbutt as coverage to help deal with toxapex as well as prevent getting hit by status-spammers when you dynamax that move. Also gives a small hail mary flinch chance.

Ill put it on, I dont think it does enough to toxapex unfortunately, especially on non-banded sets but it could work in certain circumstances.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I think Choice Scarf should also be mentioned, as 252 Spe Adamant outspeeds a ton of threats, such as Scarf Timid Hydreigon and Scarf Jolly Darmanitan, and is quite underprepared for. I also think taking off Zen Headbutt is probably better, you can just pivot with U-turn and get a better match-up in.

Ive mentioned Scarf, kept in Zen Headbutt for now since it also sets up psychic terrain which can be useful in situations so it is not only for toxapex, though I have added that in.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Also a nitpick but you mention HJK as a STAB although that is incorrect obviously lol. You should say either main attacks or drop HJK from STAB discussion.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Substitute is really nice for activating Blaze and has good synergy with Sucker Punch. Otherwise this mon is really straightforward.

I’ve seen a couple boots + court change but that doesn’t seem suited to this format at all and probably just a 6v6-influenced thing.

QC 1/2

Yea I've seen 1-2 boots but I dont really consider it a set of note given the general lack of stealth rock. I guess court change can be something used potentially vs. Rocks/Screens but is so niche as well that Ive not put it on for these reasons. I agree on substitute and have added it and also I have slashed Jolly.

I've had a look at this set again and I've changed the set around. I've popped U-turn in the 3rd slot and put sub as a second slash as I think that is what would be traded. Bounce is in the last slot.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm taking this over since ika is quitting. I made a couple of edits in move order in the writing, added Bounce in the last slot (I think that was his intention), and make a bigger mention of U-turn. Main thing I'm tempted to do is to deslash Focus Sash in favor of Life Orb or Charcoal, since Sash + Substitute is sorta a no go, and this would be easier to deal with when we go back to full analyses since the choice sets would be seperate sets.

Anyways, would like another QC member to check this, since I don't like checking my own stuff, even if this is still mostly ika's preview!

This looks good. Cinderace has turned out to be a pleasant surprise in this meta even with Blaze, so when Libero is released I expect it to get even more play. I think the fourth slot is about right; Sucker is the primary option here on the high ladder from the ones I've fought, and Bounce is good for going dynamax with Cinderace, while the other options seem more niche (the only reason I think Taunt would be useful is to prevent something like a Gyarados DD, but many will just max and kill you while boosting anyway, and the uses for Zen seem very limited as well since Tox is normally paired with Quagsire right now), so you might move Bounce up to the second position in the 4th slot since it tends to be the best of those three when using Dynamax, but other than that minor nitpick everything looks fine.

QC 2/2

Can Grimmsnarl work as a teammate? It can put up screens to give Cinderace a bit more freedom to Max Airstream and Max Knuckle and with both Fairy and Dark typing, it can help discourage Dragon types from trying to switch into Cinderace's Fire moves while discouraging Ghost types from trying to come in on High Jump Kick.

Prankster can also help you cripple the speedier opposing threats while Taunt can neuter walls and setup mons. And Grimmsnarl in turn will appreciate Cinderace keeping the pesky Steel types at bay.

Also is Iron Head worth any mention? Can nail certain Fairies like Clefable, Grimmsnarl, Sylveon, and above all Mimikyu rather hard. And when maxed it could let Cinderace tank a physical hit it otherwise would have been KO'd by. Also hits Ttar decently and a flinch chance never hurts.

We discussed it on Discord earlier but according to a Japanese article referencing 1000 Master Ball tier games, a lot of Cinderace are actually opting for a Sub - Liechi Berry set to exploit Blaze. With its speed tier and potential to set Sun while Dynamax'd I can see such a set's merits.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Watch your comma usage in the first paragraph, Pokemon need to be capitalized, and the standard is "Water-types" (capitalize type names), de-capitalize "baiting."

Bumping this upwards to mark this as a priority analysis.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Physical Attacking Sweeper
move 1: Pyro Ball
move 2: High Jump Kick
move 3: U-Tturn / Substitute
move 4: Sucker Punch / Bounce / Taunt
item: Focus Sash / Choice Band / Choice Scarf
ability: Blaze
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Cinderace has a similar role to its fellow starter Inteleon in that it (not relevant) aims to use Dynamax as a means to sweep with incredibly hard-(AH)hitting moves once it has Dynamaxed. Due to its fast speed and great dual typing, it also makes an excellent lead. Pyro Ball and High Jump Kick are its main attacks with 120 and 130 Base Power respectively, meaning they hit extremely harhigh Speed and great typing, it also makes an excellent lead. (cinderace has no dual typing. also, listing bp isn't necessary) U-turn allows Cinderace to be a fast, fairly offensive pivot. Sucker Punch is useful for hitting Dragapult, and pairs especially well with Focus Sash. Bounce is a great secondary option for sweeping with Cinderace, allowing it to get a Speed boost while Dynamaxed. Taunt is another option in the 4th slot whichfourth slot that can be good on sashwith Focus Sash to lead to prevent the opponentfoe from setting up hazards or boosts. Focus Sash allows Cinderace, which is very squishy, (AC) to always live 1survive one hit when needed. Choice Band or Choice Scarf can be used dependenting on whether power or speed is more important. Other options include, Liechi Berry, which can be paired with Substitute to potentially let Cinderace sweep in Blaze. Life Orb and Charcoal are also reasonable offensive boosting options, especially when using Substitute.

Cinderace works well with pPokemon that deal with Gyarados and other water Water-(AH)types as well as Dragapult. Because of this, good partners are Mimikyu and Rotom-Wash. Excadrill can also be an issue, (AC) so Corviknight can be a decent partner too,, one which also covers Gyarados and switches into Mimikyu. It should be noted that Cinderace can actually work quite well with its fellow starter Rillaboom due to Rillaboom covering Water types and Bbaiting in Steel-(AH)types such as Ferrothorn and Corviknight.

gp 1/1
edit: oh and also add credits

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)