Done Clarify Explosion and Self-Destruct Descriptions in Gens 1-4

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Currently, Explosion and Self-Destruct have the following descriptions in Gens 1-4.
1609717024866.png

"Deals double damage" seems like an extremely vague way of describing what these moves do in this gen. Bulbapedia states the following:
Explosion: The target's Defense is halved, effectively doubling the power to 500.
Selfdestruct: The target's Defense is halved, effectively doubling the power to 400.

I believe a clearer way of describing these is
"On the turn this move is used, the opponent's Defense is halved before taking damage from this move. The user faints."

Currently thinking of a better way to word this that doesn't run into this loophole. Potentially something like
"The opponent takes damage equal to a 400/500 base power move. The user faints"

edit:
In The Hills has informed me that this is the case in Generations 1-4. I have updated this post to reflect that.
edit2:
1609718027371.png

changed description to account for any implications of halving the opponent's defense in doubles formats.

Last edited:

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Last edited:

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Explosion doesn't halve the defense for an entire turn, only in damage calculation. That also seems too long for a shortdesc. Something like "Target's defense halved when damaging. User faints." might be better?

EDIT: Wrote this before your edits, my bad. Additionally, https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...tion-to-something-better.3667495/post-8541451 is the max length for a shortdesc.
Thanks for this, I didn't know about these limitations. With those in mind, I'm not sure if there's a feasible description that would fit, or if I could fit something within those limits without using slang
"Deals damage equal to a 500 BP move. User faints." fits , but I'm hard pressed to find somewhere else to cut a couple extra characters to fit "power" instead of BP.
1609721396551.png

Maybe "Deals damage" -> "Damages"? I'm not sure if that still makes sense though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)