Classical Music Discussion& Appreciation Thread

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
INTRODUCTION

Separate thread because this is kind of long. This is a list of classical composers I listen to along with select samples of their music. I always wanted to make this, but I was too busy+ I never wanted to go back to this site again. But I'm depressed as fuck so here I am. Before I go into the actual music I want to talk a bit, too. If a particular composer's section is blank or empty, I plan to fill it out more later. I will spoiler tag the suggested listenings as to not clutter the post with embedded videos.

Classical music helped me through a lot of hard times in my life. If I were to say why I like classical music, my response would be that it's music that spoke to me, music that never felt like an "escape" but an avenue for introspection. Not to say that other kinds of music don't benefit from active listening, but classical music makes me think about my own life and how I feel, instead of being the object to be examined itself.

I was made to play the violin as a child (I am Asian and have never stepped foot in a Western country), but stopped when I went to college years ago. The recent coronavirus pandemic gave me time to relearn my instrument. As an amateur violinist, my choices here can be quite biased to solistic music over orchestral ones. But there is so much work of value that a degree of focus is surely welcome, no?

There aren't many classical music concerts where I come from, and when they do have them they are the generic basic stuff. So a lot of my list comes from listening to recordings, meaning once again my list will be biased against considering orchestration and instrument projection. I don't claim to be an expert on classical music, I am an amateur, I simply wish to share music and my thoughts on them, do not take my word as polemic.

DISCLAIMER

I heavily reject the notions of objective beauty in art, art to me is the process of making an object that when experienced allows the subject to feel feelings that are similar in structure to the feelings the artist had in mind while making the object (Tolstoy had stuff to say about art that was similar). Art to me doesn't have to be pretty, and the dichotomies for me are not "beautiful vs ugly" but "pretty vs ugly" and "kitsch vs beautiful". Structural analysis of what makes music "good" have been around since the time of Aristotle's Poetics and are undoubtedly useful but I don't think they hold everything, music can be harsh and unforgiving but if they make me experience either something new or make me realize I am not alone in how I feel or give me catharsis via vindication then it is surely valuable music. A lot of the modernist composers I will bring up here, like Schnittke or descendants of the Second Viennese School, have been dismissed as hacks for being unpleasant; to people who think this, I hope that my thoughts on their music (as someone who listens to it not for intellectual value but just because I enjoy it) proves interesting.

MEDIEVAL ERA

Perotin

My journey through classical music is kind of backwards. I started with the modernists, and only relatively much later did I try listening to plainchant. Around the time I discovered Perotin, I had a serious death anxiety phase, and was having a philosophical crisis over the implications of material existence. Listening to music written in the Middle Ages resonated with me- these people lived like shit, their life was constant suffering, and they had to look towards religion to comfort them with the idea of the existence of another world, better, pure, clean, full of hope.

Alleluia nativitas

BAROQUE

Johann Sebastian Bach

"We (violinists) call Bach the Bible. I've played him for many years, but I don't think I know him." -Jascha Heifetz, Heifetz on Television (1971)

I don't claim to be even a decent violinist, but merely being a violinist means you have to play solo Bach. He's the vegetables of every instrument he wrote for- you may not like them but it's good for you. Bach has been long consigned to the dustbin of history as merely the greatest composer of all time, and it is quite easy to forget he was a ridiculously good violinist (hence why I only listed his violin works). Nobody quite wrote violin music like this before Bach, and neither did quite a few violin dedicated composers that were his contemporaries or even quite a while after (I think of Vivaldi and Paganini).

Sonata no.1 for violin solo
Sonata no. 3 for violin solo
Chaconne from Partita no. 2 for violin solo
Partita no. 3

CLASSICAL

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Frankly, he deserves his own post, so I won't go into detail here.

"Haffner" Rondo
Piano Concerto no. 23 mov 2

ROMANTIC

Ludwig Van Beethoven

I claimed I explored classical music in reverse, but I started at Beethoven. Grosse Fuge was the classical piece that made me interested in classical, and afterwards I sought to move forward from there so I went to the romantics then the modernists. Beethoven in a way, "primed" me for what I should like, and caused me to avoid the nutrasweet Mozart (only for a bit) and pleasant Chopin (sadly, altogether).

Grosse Fuge
Violin Concerto

Niccolo Paganini

Paganini was an innovator in one way, and a traditionalist in another- if you've tried to play him you know what I mean. Paganini shifted violinism from the old polyphonic method with low height, small fingerboards and concave bows to music that goes all the way up the fingerboard, without chords, that played as fast as possible necessitating convex bows. And yet, despite his difficulty, playing Paganini you get the sense that he is kind of a "nice guy"- a non violinist writes violin music as if it were for the piano and inadvertently makes easy sounding music that is horrendously awkward to play. Meanwhile, Paganini while fiendishly difficult sometimes grants you "small mercies" in the form of an open string while you shift. What a nice guy.

Paganini should be played alongside a piano, by the way.

Caprice no 4
Caprice no.24 Auer Edition
Violin Concerto no. 2 mov 3
Nel cor piu non mi sento

Felix Mendelssohn

Violin Concerto mov 3

LATE ROMANTIC

Antonin Dvorak

I like Dvorak but I don't know where to place him. Dvorak is music I listen to to feel, specifically to feel sentimental. Sometimes he hits me just right.

Franz Liszt

As a violinist, Liszt was someone that was not on my path of listening and in fact I only started listening to him when I was thinking about who I haven't listened to. And truth be told, I really tried to listen to him, but in the he ended up being hit or miss. I really can't get the Hungarian Rhapsodies, or Transcendental Etudes, or Mephisto Waltzes, or Totentanz, despite also suffering from death anxiety. But the Sonata in B made me obsessed, and introduced me to Arthur Rubinstein who is a pianist I really like.

Jean Sibelius

My encounter with Sibelius is kind of awkward- he wrote in this totally opposite language to what he usually does for his Violin Concerto, which ended up being a monumental work for the violin. Therefore, it was hard for me to get into his other works, which were symphonic and quite peaceful and focused on evoking nature.

Johannes Brahms

Cesar Franck

It took me a while to find a recording of Heifetz's last recital on Youtube.

Henryk Wienawski

Eugene Ysaye

By now, the violin-centrism must be getting obnoxious. At the time of writing this, I am currently playing Ysaye's Sonata no. 4.

NEOROMANTIC

Samuel Barber

I quite like Barber. His music has a passionate drive to it. The second movement of the Violin Concerto sounds beautiful and determined, with one instrument soaring after another. The first movement of the Piano Sonata evokes the surface of a sea of tonality, with calm tonal moments and turbulent atonal ones, and the fourth movement evokes desperation and determination. In short, I like this guy's style.

IMPRESSIONIST

Maurice Ravel

Ravel rejected the term "impressionist", and I can see why. Of the so-called "impressionists", Ravel's music is often the most direct. As such, Ravel served as my "gateway" into composers like Mompou, Poulenc, Satie, Respighi, and Debussy. Whenever I feel like my products are bad because they are uninspired, I ponder on this quote from Ravel: "The initial idea is nothing [...] We’ve gone past the days when the composer was thought of as being struck by inspiration, feverishly scribbling down his thoughts on a scrap of paper. Writing music is seventy-five percent an intellectual activity.”

Francis Poulenc

An indulgence for me. He's very light hearted. As a member of Les Six, he was revolting against both German Romanticism and the current French school at the time, which can be why his music doesn't sound so serious. But it sounds good and makes me think of film noir.

Claude Debussy

Everybody loves Debussy- as a contrarian, this led me to not really listen to him at first. However, one should not fall into the opposite pitfall of avoiding a good composer because they are popular.

MODERNIST

Bela Bartok

Bela Bartok's concept of Night Music struck me profoundly. Another person has better words than me: "The hypersensitive theme, unspeakably melancholic, is contrasted with the other, hyperobjective theme [...]: as if a soul in tears can only find solace in the non-sensitivity of nature."

Leo Ornstein

Humans live really long. To think someone who was considered out of vogue by mid-1920 would live until 2002 at the age of fucking 106. His music really is amazing, though- the reprise moment of the gentle opening theme in Morning In The Woods makes me think of a man dying peacefully, his life flashing before his eyes.

Dmitry Shostakovich

If I could, Shostakovich would get a post all to his own. This man to me is the ideal artist. So simultaneously be so prolific and yet achieve such high quality is incomprehensible to me. He is the master of the concept of the drop, the moment (see: mov 1 and 4 Piano Trio 2, Prelude and Fugue 3, Prelude and Fugue 24, Quartet 8). Shostakovich is a real experience to listen to- often times, he can give you 20 minutes of pure monotone gray, hammering brutalist architectures, arias to barren wastelands, and right when you've lost all hope, for thirty seconds to a minute there is a breach from which you see a sky of blazing blue, torrential winds tearing everything apart.

And it's the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

Alfred Schnittke

I have never heard anybody write music on the concept of "life as error" before Schnittke. It could be described as "sad", "tragic", but Schnittke achieved a sound that conveyed a feeling of wrongness, as if one's existence was unnatural and against the natural order of things. The tragic music of the past did not properly convey complete, total hopelessness- as far as I know, only with Schnittke did the feeling of true alienation finally make it to a score and get shared. The Piano Quintet is incredibly bleak and ends on a disturbing ostinato of a lullaby. Concerto Grosso 1 begins and ends with the same prepared piano, as if at the beginning it is telling you you are "cursed" and the collapse at the end was foretold from the beginning and was inevitable. The Requiem has some truly haunting movements, like Requiem Aeternam, Tuba Mirum, and Credo.

The Symphony no. 8 is probably as close as you will get to a perfect work of art- William C White describes it better: "I think Schnittke’s 8th may be the pinnacle of musical art. In that piece, Schnittke sustains the most mystical of moods from start to finish, terrifying us in the first movement, torturing us in the second, ravishing us in the third, unnerving us in the fourth, and leaving us to contemplate all of eternity in the fifth, a movement that must stand completely alone in the history of music as the only symphonic movement dedicated solely to the slow amassing of a single chord."

NEOCLASSICAL

Aaron Copland

Listening to him can be quite a meditative experience. When I listen to the Clarinet Concerto, the first movement I imagine a dying person losing their consciousness, slowly falling into a bed of flower petals as one by one the components of their thinking disappear. The second movement, they wake up in a pure white limbo and find their best friend who died three years prior, having waited for them. They vow to find each other in their next lives, even if they turned into fish, beasts, or birds, and decide to reincarnate together.

Yes, I am in fact cringe.

NONTONAL

Alban Berg

Berg, I think, is not necessarily the access point to the Second Viennese school that he might seem to be after you've listened to a lot of late Romantic stuff. It was only relatively recently after I've already delved into a lot of experimental stuff that I began to appreciate him. He does have that kind of "link" to German Romanticism, though.

Georgy Ligeti

Ligeti is forbidding and imposing music, a structure so detached from what is comfortable because it only seeks to make sense to itself. I find listening to music by Ligeti or Xenakis is like viewing a sculpture, where the vertical element is the simultaneous overlay of pitches, and the vertical element is time, with the sound texture being the sculpture's material.

Morton Feldman

Intensely meditative. Combines the calmness and focus of Webern with the sheer length of Xenakis (Xenakis once famously said that only when music goes on after two hours does it begin to have the quality of "scale"). Often can make you feel an intense feeling of loss.

Arnold Schoenberg

Even though Schoenberg chronologically came before the prior guys, the truth is he's pretty out there and it would definitely be better if you're already deep into experimental music before going into him- he's like a guy who went to isolation on his own island and made music for himself for thirty years. Like Berg, though, he's also kind of rich in German Romanticism (although stuff like "Farben" can sound pretty impressionistic).

POSTROMANTIC

Einojuhani Rautavaara

Rautavaara's music is amazing. It evokes a supernatural object that exists outside of our plane of understanding but intersects it- the effect is created by alternating or overlaying tonal and nontonal music, making us feel like we are understanding some aspect of it but not all. And when his music ends, it's on a dissonant phrase that never resolves but slowly quietens towards silence, as if it was going on forever and simply left our midst, leaving our heads to fill in the details. Incredibly inventive, The Fire Sermon is a short piano piece programmatic in nature alternating between intense turbulent striving and moments of absolute clarity. In "Cantus Arcticus", he even record birds and makes music out of their sounds. Definitely worth listening to.

Sofia Gubaidulina

(RELATIVELY) CONTEMPORARY

Kaija Saariaho

I fucking love this gal. Sept Papillons is incredibly evocative and optimistic, even. Meanwhile, Petals to me evokes the entrance of a dark cave from which nothing can be seen, a vortex of air going into the void carrying petals into it.

Lou Harrison

Very optimistic music and a true pleasure to listen to. The Third Symphony is up there in my top music of all time- the lush orchestration and sheer optimism of the first movement, the lively festivity of the second and fourth. The fifth movement evokes a flyby of a Jupiterian planet, one of immense gravity. The last movement is a night festival of lanterns, fragile music evocative of fireflies, that makes you want to grasp the music from the air and protect it.

The Piano Concerto is an incredible study of just intonation- the first movement incredibly gentle, the second movement being joyful and wild, and if you listen to Keith Jarrett's playing he has an incredible cadenza where he resolves the movement from very percussive passages melting into an amazingly tender phrase, before triumphantly finishing the movement with the orchestra.

The Fourth Symphony is unbelievable. The first movement starts out forbidding, but then melts into this extended string passage with a celesta playing into the background becoming incredibly evocative of the night. Amazing. The second movement is fucking wild, a blend of Native American/ Chinese/ American tonalities into one giant festivity. And the last movement- you gotta hear it to believe it.

La Koro Sutro is beyond words. Jesus Christ, this man just will not miss. The Heart Sutra? In Esperanto?

Toru Takemitsu

He's like Messiaen, but Eastern, and film-ic. This can only be a good thing.

John Adams

Quite cool, I normally hate the Philip Glass and Arvo Part school of minimalism (which Ian Mcdonald describes as "passionless, sexless and emotionally blank soundtrack of the Machine Age, its utopian selfishness no more than an expression of human passivity in the face of mass-production and The Bomb") but I like some of this guy's stuff.

The Dharma At Big Sur, mov 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwMgKDFav0Q Common tones in simple time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2yfw-UkI0

John Luther Adams

A pioneer in drone and natural ambience.

Takashi Yoshimatsu

At first I disliked this guy- he seemed like a second-rate composer of film scores. But he grew on me.

POSTMODERN

John Cage

Very much maligned. You compose good music for a while and nobody cares. You orchestrate 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence and everybody loses their minds.

END NOTES

Feel free to discuss classical music in the comments below!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)