Clauses in Generation V

There are speculative downfalls to a metagame without the Species Clause, but likewise there are speculative downfalls to a metagame without any number of possible clauses (no dream world abilities clause springs to mind). I am a little surprised you dismiss having a simplified ruleset and significantly increasing the number of available team combinations as "no viable benefits". I understand that you think that the Species Clause is required, but that does not mean that it does not cause some harm at the same time.

I am not telling you what to bet, just trying to get people to have their arguments straight for each and every clause which we decide to implement in the new generation. And... of course removing a huge restriction on teambuilding has a significant potential to increase variety, not necessarily variety in the Pokemon but variety in the team styles. Maybe that is not enough to outweigh the theoretical problems with testing, and maybe some people don't care how many strategies are viable, but implementing a clause with potential to significantly restrict viable strategies and no proven benefit (I don't believe there has been even small scale no species clause testing), without seriously considering the alternative would be a mistake.
Many competitive players despise the notion of a metagame with "significantly more variety" than 4th gen OU already had. Most others probably don't care one way or the other. There is some minority that actively craves a metagame with a greater number of viable teams, and out of those, maybe four or five are out there preaching that "removing" Species Clause is the way that this should be done.

I am very much operating under the assumption that we should not implement Species Clause unless there is a reason to implement Species Clause. We know, however, that the only benefit you're suggesting (besides a simpler ruleset) basically has no "market" for it in this community. Even if we polled Uncharted Territory and they decided that Species Clause should not be implemented in the beginning of 5th gen, my impression would be that they just thought it was potentially superfluous, or that it could be "interesting/fun to mess around with," and not because of some belief that the increase in variety brought about by its non-implementation is competitively preferable. In other words, I can only foresee the community supporting a no-Species Clause initial metagame under false pretenses--once players realize that the clause is not superfluous, and indeed restricts a number of otherwise-viable team strategies (something that I feel they are largely in favor of), it will be re-implemented.

I guess I could be wrong, and really everyone is clamoring for much much more variety without me knowing it. Okay, then it becomes a question of whether the increased variety (which can now safely be considered a "benefit") outweighs the potential issues I spoke of earlier. We aren't at that point yet at all, though, because the "benefit" you're suggesting is a controversial one at best.

I'm tired, so sorry if this doesn't address your points precisely, or if it restates things I already made clear or whatever. could easily be both >_>

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If nobody objects, I'd like to start the poll on October 24th and end it on October 30th with 66.00% or more votes required for the "start without" options to win. If you have an opinion on the subject, could you please chime in? We have hundreds of Policy Review members and very few have put up an argument here.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I dont see how we could test a Species clauseless metagame. At the outset we are pretty much assuming the ruleset will be broken regardless, and going to and from species clause will be too big a depature to actually reuse anything gained in the testing up til that point.

For the rest (or even for species clause, since it has no chance of passing), lets do the polls.

Might as well include the starting banlist while we are at it.

Have a nice day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)