move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Eviolite
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs: 116 HP / 132 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
This set tries to fulfill Clobbopus' only niche as one of the bulkiest fighting types by setting up a bulk-up safely and then resttalking with technician circle throw. This set also acts as a phaser, meaning that the other team can't use stat boost moves like swords dance. It's recommended to have an entry hazard set before switching in clobbopus, so he can take advantage of Circle Throw's effect. Switch Clobbopus in on a pokemon who won't kill it like onix, ferroseed, or even koffing, or when a pokemon is expected to use a move like toxic, will-o-wisp, or sleep powder. the overall bulky EV spread of clobbopus further helps it switch in more safely on weaker moves like knock-off, dark pulse, fake out, and stone edge

Clobbopus acts as decent support to physical attackers like Vullaby and Pawniard, because it can tank a burn and rest away the effect. The aforementioned pokemon also benifit greatly from Clobbopus' ability to check rock types such as Onyx. Hazard setters will also synergise well with Clobbopus' phasing abilities. dark-type support from Pawniard or vullaby is appreciated, Since Clobbopus is completely walled by ghost types. To prevent Clobbopus from being one-shot by fairy-types or flying types with a brave bird, an electric-type pivot like Chinchou or a cutiefly check such as muchlax would be greatly appreciated as well.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[<pokemonsta433>, <userid1>]]
- Quality checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Last edited:

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hi just dropping an AM check here, I’d wait for QCs input before implementing as there’s a lot of work to do here.

This set plays as a bulky setup sweeper/wall combination to punish Pokemon who would try to lay hazards on Clobbopus's side of the field.
This doesn’t prevent hazards. Circle throw has -7 priority so it’s always moving last. While Sleep Talk negates priority, you’re still slower than most hazard setters so the only hazard you’d be preventing is Ferroseed, and that’s super situational.

Due to circle throw, this set also acts as a phaser, allowing it to shut down other setup sweepers before they get a chance to use their precious stats.
I’d like to see a mention of which targets it actually beats as it certainly doesn’t stop Cutiefly, Ponyta, Farfetch’d or Vullaby unless they’re greedy.

Switch Clobbopus in on a spike setter like onix, ferroseed, or even koffing, or when a pokemon is expected to use a move like toxic, will-o-wisp, or sleep powder.
Onix doesn’t set Spikes. Switching in on a Stealth Rock setter doesn’t prevent them from setting hazards either. I honestly feel like there’s way too much emphasis on Clobbopus preventing hazards, which it really doesn’t do that well.

the overall bulky EV spread of clobbopus further helps it switch in more safely on weaker moves like knock-off, dark pulse, fake out, and stone edge
Explain what the Speed EVs are for.

Slower teams may also appreciate its ability to phase a setup sweeper out (usually having enough health to survive for a single circle throw at least).
Analyses tend not to have brackets. Rephrase this to not need them.

dark-type support from Pawniard or vullaby is appreciated, Since Clobbopus is completely walled by ghost types.
I’d also include here that they both appreciate Clobbopus’s ability to check Onix.

Due to the ability for flying-types to ohko clobbopus with a brave bird, an electric type pivot like chinchou or a fast revenge killer/trapper like diglett would be a great teammate to have.
Wingull runs Hurricane, NP Vullaby runs Air Slash. Also Clobbopus gets bopped by Farfetch’d’s brave bird and it’s not a flying-type. Also Trapinch is a surperior trapper. I’m not too sure what the point of a trapper is in this sentence since Arena Trap doesn’t trap Birds and Ghosts are immune to trapping.

Other notes:

It’s worth pointing out that Clobbopus really isn’t a viable Pokémon at all. It’s heavily outclassed by Farfetch’d and Timburr, which this analysis doesn’t communicate at all.

Team Options is pretty lacking. Clobbopus’s niche is based around phasing there’s no recommendation for hazard setters to capitalise on this. Checks are limited to Flying-type and Ghost-types, whereas you absolutely definitely need answers to Fairies (Cutiefly is one of the top threats in the tier) and answers to Ponyta too. When including these answers I’d like to see a brief statement about how they Synergise and the roles they perform for the team as a whole.

This doesn’t prevent hazards. Circle throw has -7 priority so it’s always moving last
yeah, I think at the time I was thinking that you don't get damaged so your low priority is okay. Was kinda a silly section and I'll probably update

I’d like to see a mention of which targets it actually beats
The idea was actually that the threat of using circle throw means they can't dance risk free, because they'd lose all their stats (and thus the turn) when phased. I see that they move faster though, and yeah... clobbo isn't great lol

I honestly feel like there’s way too much emphasis on Clobbopus preventing hazards
The idea was that you can't really switch in on an attack because you get outsped and die. I worded everything positively because I thought you were supposed to sell the niche of your build instead of say "yeah so this is the best you can do but it still doesn't do shit" lol

Explain what the Speed EVs are for.
They're literally there because if I put them anywhere else the stat doesn't go up. Do I really have to explain that?

Analyses tend not to have brackets. Rephrase this to not need them
On it

I’d also include here that they both appreciate Clobbopus’s ability to check Onix.
On it, but also I'm not try'na make this too long. Might not make it to my final pre

Wingull runs Hurricane, NP Vullaby runs Air Slash
these both die to electric types, like I recommended. Vull dies to dig like I suggested. I'm not sure what the criticism is here

Arena Trap doesn’t trap Birds
somehow forgot dig had arena trap instead of shadow tag. Won't recommend it.

It’s worth pointing out that Clobbopus really isn’t a viable Pokémon at all
I agree, didn't realize we were supposed to emphasize that in the pre. On it

there’s no recommendation for hazard setters to capitalise on this
Huh, coulda swore I wrote like two sentences about that. Will update.

you absolutely definitely need answers to Fairies (Cutiefly is one of the top threats in the tier) and answers to Ponyta too
On it

I’d like to see a brief statement about how they Synergise and the roles they perform for the team as a whole.
This sounds a little bit like a full-ass analysis thing, the pre is only like 4-6 sentences

Thanks for the AM check, though, it will definitely improve the analysis overall

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
small QC on Stoward amcheck
I honestly feel like there’s way too much emphasis on Clobbopus preventing hazards, which it really doesn’t do that well.
Good job getting this specific idea across, getting to the heart of what's being problematic is just as important as the specifics, same deal with how later on you say to talk about how Clobbo is not good.

Wingull runs Hurricane, NP Vullaby runs Air Slash. Also Clobbopus gets bopped by Farfetch’d’s brave bird and it’s not a flying-type.
These are a bit nitpicky, what you're really trying to say is to go more vague on which Flying-type move is being used. The other point is that OHKO isn't really accurate here, has to be a high investment flying type move to OHKO.
Also Trapinch is a surperior trapper. I’m not too sure what the point of a trapper is in this sentence since Arena Trap doesn’t trap Birds and Ghosts are immune to trapping.
Diglett's a fine trapper, different role than Trapinch which I think Clobbo teams (such as they are) would appreciate more, but the second part is the important point, there's not an explanation for why a trapper helps Clobbo specifically

Other notes:

It’s worth pointing out that Clobbopus really isn’t a viable Pokémon at all. It’s heavily outclassed by Farfetch’d and Timburr, which this analysis doesn’t communicate at all.
yes

Team Options is pretty lacking. Clobbopus’s niche is based around phasing there’s no recommendation for hazard setters to capitalise on this. Checks are limited to Flying-type and Ghost-types, whereas you absolutely definitely need answers to Fairies (Cutiefly is one of the top threats in the tier) and answers to Ponyta too. When including these answers I’d like to see a brief statement about how they Synergise and the roles they perform for the team as a whole.

Talked it over with the QC team, Clobbo is frankly just too unviable for even a preview analysis. This isn't anything about your set or what you've written, it's purely that Clobbopus is not a good Pokemon and should not have been approved for a preview analysis in the first place.

QC Rejected 1/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)