Mafia vs Village CLOSED - Underground Mafia 2.0 (Signups)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Approved by UncleSam

Note: This is NOT the same game as the original Underground Mafia. It is a beginners game that I made in 2012 that was almost completed but I never hosted because of lack of interest on my part/other stuff that was going on. The theme may be similar but roles are very very different and team makeup is also different and much simpler.

Rules

1. There are 24 players in this game.

2. Being active in this game is very important. Being inactive may result in your being subbed out for another player! Don’t force the hosts to do this!

3A. If you wish to sub for the game, in case you do not get selected, you can mention that in you sign-up post. If you wish to sub out, send Acklow and Blue Tornado a PM ahead of time, and we will sub you out. If you plan on becoming inactive, please let us know ahead of time because we don’t want to make this experience worse for anyone.
3B. If you are subbing out, please send a PM to the person who is replacing you describing what is happening in the game, what you have done so far, and any other notable information. This will help against players who do not have any idea what’s going but decided to sub in anyway learn what is happening in the game. Remember - it’s not the hosts’ job.

4. This game starts Night 0. No damage dealing abilities are present until Night 1. You may not share Role PMs until Day 1.

5. Each night period will also last 48 hours. If all PMs have been received results will be sent out. This means that if you want a good game that is interesting, it is in your best interests to send a PM (otherwise you will be subbed out).

6. Send all PMs to Acklow and Blue Tornado. If you decide not to use your ability during on any given Night, please send us a PM titled “Night X-Idling”. Remember, that if you do not PM both Acklow and Blue Tornado, you may not receive results to your night action (and you risk being subbed out). You may send your actions via the same PM that you were given your role PM if you so wish to.

7. You are considered dead when your HP hits 0. This is the only way you can die

8. If you are dead, you cannot speak to anyone in the game at all.

9. During the day, you must bold your vote and use Any Word <User>. To change your vote, you must edit your original post with your new vote. “No Vote” counts as a neutral vote. This means that you do not vote for any specific user, and instead wish to wait. Any votes to a dead player will be nullified. In the case of a tie, all players that have been tied will be hooked instead of taking damage.

10. Day 1, the damage dealt to whoever has the most lynch votes on them will be 1. The amount of damage dealt by the lynch will increase by 1 each day until Day 4, when the amount dealt maxes out at 4 damage.

11. You may try targeting dead player’s with your abilities, but not much will happen.

12. There are no items in this game.

13. If a role PM clashes with the rules in anyway, the role PM takes precedence.

14. Priorities are set and kept secret. Do not ask us about them.

15. IRC is required for this game. If you do not have access to IRC, you will be subbed out.

16. Acklow and Blue Tornado must know about all spreadsheets and IRC channels related to the game.

17. If you have any questions about the game, you can ask Acklow or Blue Tornado on Smogon. You can also find Acklow on IRC under ‘Acklow’ and Blue Tornado under the same username as (Blue_Tornado) as well..

18. Please talk to us during the game, as it will provide a better postgame. Give reasons for your actions, it will help.

19. If grammatical errors are present in PMs, do not use these as proof of faking. We ARE human and we DO make mistakes.

20. You can paste stuff said to you by the hosts. You can fake logs. Remember, do not take a log of a conversation with a host as definite proof, as these can be faked. Impersonation of a host or another player is banned at all points. Do not try to impersonate in any way. Screenshots related to the game are also banned.

A Beginner’s Guide to Mafia.

Assuming you are a newbie to mafia, I will try to help you as much as I can in your Smogon Mafia experience. The object of the game in any mafia is to win, obviously. Mafia in it of itself is a game of deceit, simply put. In the more regular mafia games, you will usually have a large group of uninformed individuals, known as the “village” and a smaller group or multiple smaller groups of informed individuals known as the “mafia”. Usually the mafia will be given information regarding who their teammates are. On the other hand, the villagers are left completely out of the loop as to who their teammates are.

Each of you will be given an individual role that has a unique ability. Mafia is usually played with Day/Night cycles (which last any amount of time that the host of the game decides). Usually your role’s ability can only be activated at during the Night half of a cycle. During the day, you and the rest of the players vote on who you want to “lynch.” This game, in particular, involves damage and HP. A lynch in other mafia games that don’t use HP or damage will just have the person who is “lynched” die. As was mentioned earlier, your objective in mafia is to win. Your role will include a win condition at the bottom which will provide the requirements for winning the game.

So other than the use of Smogon forums for conveying information in the thread and via private messaging is IRC. IRC, otherwise known as Instant Relay Chat, is the most common feature of Smogon Mafia games. It allows seamless communication with other players and adds a whole new element to gameplay. For this game, you are required to have access to IRC. There are many different clients for IRC. mIRC or XChat are the clients that most Windows users prefer to use. Colloquy is commonly used by Mac users. If you do not have access to either operating systems and use a handheld device, Mibbit is a useful internet-based IRC client. Here is a download list of all of the IRC clients that were mentioned.

Colloquy

mIRC

XChat

Mibbit Channel

While the Official Smogon Mafia game will be running on PS! Chat as it’s primary chatroom, we will NOT be using this for our primary chat. This is primarily to prevent any sort of confusion amongst members in either game. If you are in both games or wish to chat with people on the Circus Maximus chat in the PS! Client, you are more than welcome to do so (I will be on there occasionally since the Official game may need subs).

As was explained earlier, during the Night half of the cycle, you may have an ability. It is up to you to collaborate with your teammates on which people you target with your ability. In order for you to do so, you must send in your action via Smogon PM. This gives hosts, such as myself, an easier time in keeping track of your actions

This is basically a barebones guide as to what Smogon Mafia is like. I would highly suggest that if you are a first time player, you take the time to go and read the Smog Articles that Mekkah wrote on mafia, in order to get a better understanding of what to expect. The best thing you can do, other than that, is to go and read up various past games. It is very helpful to any new player to look study games in the past because sometimes a lot things end up happening in the thread. Of course, that’s half of the game in most current games, since IRC is being used a lot, nevertheless, you won’t miss out on too much if you do read various past games.

So I hope you take the time to sign up for this game. If you aren’t a newbie, or you are relatively new to Mafia and played in a game or two in the past, you should already know all of this, so you don’t need to read this tl;dr.

Sign-Up List

While the Priority System is outdated and we no longer use it here in Circus Maximus, for the purposes of this game, I will be using it primarily in the instance that people who are playing in the Official Smogon Mafia game can join this game as well in the case that they wish to do so. If you are new to this, just say that you are "In" or whatever. If you are playing in the Official Smogon Mafia game, please state that you are "P2" or "Priority 2" in order to differentiate you from other signups.

Priority One

Ullar
Santa Reuniclause
Vanillish Wafer
rssp1
Nomark
Steven Snype
MetaRaven135
LonelyNess
Ditto
ApolloPlus

Priority Two

Thetwinmasters
Flyhn
Asek
Aura Guardian
acidphoenix
Jalmont
Ditto
Haruno
Blazade
sunny004
GoodMorningEspeon
Cancerous
Pokemon Trainer

Walrein Tier

Walrein

Signups will stay open until Tuesday, May 23rd (Approx. Noon CST). The game will begin immediately afterward. If you do wish to sign up and you are in the other game as well, but wish for an extension for the Signups or if there is any reason why you may not be able to immediately play once the game begins, please let us know so that if we need to make accommodations for when the game begins, we can do so. If we do not get 24 people signed up or are short a few, I will cut down the number of roles and we will run the game on a more efficient scale. If the amount of signups are dramatically too few, then I will wait until the Official Game gets further along and more players die off so that they can join this game as well.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's worth emphasizing that this game will give priority to those who didn't make it into the Official game, in case they are still interested in joining a mafia game.

Acklow

It's worth emphasizing that this game will give priority to those who didn't make it into the Official game, in case they are still interested in joining a mafia game.
Yup, that's the primary purpose of this game. I will still accept people from the other game, but I do not wish for people to overload themselves if possible. I only bring priority into this since I know some people are okay with multi-tasking.

I also wish to point out that this game is not tagged under the "Official" banner that is the current Smogon Big, and as such there are no prizes of any sort other than recognition that you won this game (if you win). So join for the fun of it! :)

Acklow

I suppose it is also worth noting that I'm reviving the good ol' IRC channel, #ffm, for this game. The Mibbit link is in the OP if you care to join.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
in, p1

e: may not be able to play as much as I'd like, due to an impending extended family vacay, but I'll do as best as I can!!!

Acklow

Ideally we need 8 more players. Worst case scenario I can cut it down to 18, but it will require an additional day to restructure a few roles.

Acklow

Ok. I'm going to leave sign ups open for another two days because we haven't hit max cap. If I don't get any sign ups within the two day period, I'll convert the game to work with the smaller player pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)