move 2: Icicle Spear
move 3: Liquidation
move 4: Spikes
item: Focus Sash
ability: Skill Link
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Cloyster can be a very threatening sweeper with its access to Skill Link, Shell Smash, pretty good stats, and dual STAB moves. It's one of the few offensive Spikes setters that Ubers has. Once it uses Shell Smash, it gains the ability to OHKO many strong walls such as Rotom-H, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, and Eternatus. Shell Smash allows Cloyster to become a very fast sweeper along with its Jolly nature, only being outsped by Barraskewda in the rain, Excadrill in the sand, and certain Choice Scarf Pokemon. An Adamant nature allows Cloyster to OHKO a few more threats at the cost of some speed. Cloyster already has extremely high Defense, which allows it to tank quite a few physical hits, but it also has an abysmally low Special Defence, so a Focus Sash allows it to always tank a special hit so it can safely set up; this allows it to be a great lead Pokemon. Icicle Spear is able to hit Pokemon that resist Liquidation, while Icicle Spear can OHKO nearly the entire metagame without defensive boosts. Only a handful of Pokemon are able to survive a +2 Icicle Spear like Ferrothorn, Eviolite Corsola, Corviknight, and a few others unless it manages to get off a second Shell Smash. Liquidation gives Cloyster a powerful Water-type STAB move that can check threatening sweepers like Excadrill and Galarian Darmanitan. When Cloyster Dynamaxes, Liquidation turns into Max Geyser, which sets up rain for Cloyster to boost Liquidation even more and can OHKO Zacian-C.

Although not getting access to any rain-boosted abilities, Cloyster still pairs somewhat well with Pelipper due to its already powerful Liquidation being boosted in the rain. Although Liquidation is boosted by Pelipper's rain, Cloyster has a better role as a hyper offensive Spikes lead to lay down Spikes and threaten Corviknight and the extremely common Excadrill, often being able to 2HKO it without Shell Smash. Agility Eternatus also loves the Spikes support and can go well with it. Cloyster is also usually forced to swap out against pure Water-types due to them resisting both of its attacks.

[CREDITS]
-Written by: [[HyperGamer0130, 499844]]
- Quality checked by: [[Cynara, 224455], [Nayrz, 212134]]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I don't think the set provided is the best direction for a Cloyster set in Ubers.

Name: Shell Smash
Move 1: Shell Smash
Move 2: Icicle Spear
Move 3: Liquidation
Move 4: Spikes
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

This is something we agreed on internally. Dual Stab makes best use of the offensive prowess of Cloyster, Rock Blast and Pin Missile do not have any justified usage nor target any ubers relevant pokemon. This also helps to improve its Dynamax potential Liquidation allows it to set rain. Cloyster is also one of the few offensive spikes users the tier has, making it a feasible option to lead with a focus sash, I understand why you have put white herb but this makes it tough for cloyster to setup as option due to is abysmal special bulk. This makes the set also more capable of handling Ditto and basically proofs you more against it. Jolly nature is preferred to tie with Polteageist and outspeed Scarf Adamant Dugtrio at +2, though Adamant has the advantage of additional power and always OHKOing Zacian-C with Max Geyser.

Please rewrite your analysis around this set, make sure to take care of accuracy of information and relevance to ubers, Steel type moves such as Behemoth Blade are not super effective vs Cloyster and make sure more mentions are focused on Ubers viable pokemon, which are approved for Ubers C&C.

I don't think the set provided is the best direction for a Cloyster set in Ubers.

Name: Shell Smash
Move 1: Shell Smash
Move 2: Icicle Spear
Move 3: Liquidation
Move 4: Spikes
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

This is something we agreed on internally. Dual Stab makes best use of the offensive prowess of Cloyster, Rock Blast and Pin Missile do not have any justified usage nor target any ubers relevant pokemon. This also helps to improve its Dynamax potential Liquidation allows it to set rain. Cloyster is also one of the few offensive spikes users the tier has, making it a feasible option to lead with a focus sash, I understand why you have put white herb but this makes it tough for cloyster to setup as option due to is abysmal special bulk. This makes the set also more capable of handling Ditto and basically proofs you more against it. Jolly nature is preferred to tie with Polteageist and outspeed Scarf Adamant Dugtrio at +2, though Adamant has the advantage of additional power and always OHKOing Zacian-C with Max Geyser.

Please rewrite your analysis around this set, make sure to take care of accuracy of information and relevance to ubers, Steel type moves such as Behemoth Blade are not super effective vs Cloyster and make sure more mentions are focused on Ubers viable pokemon, which are approved for Ubers C&C.
Thanks for the advice! I added a lot of what you suggested and deleted some unneeded information to also shorten it. Tell me if this is acceptable. If not, you can tell me my mistakes and I will correct it as soon as possible.

Once it uses Shell Smash, it gains the ability to OHKO many strong walls such as Rotom-H, Mandibuzz, Runerigus, and Togekiss
It's not necessarily about the walls as it is killing offensive targets as well. Runerigus and Togekiss aren't used right now, so remove those. Actual "walls" to discuss its matchup against would be Corviknight, Corsola-G, Tyranitar/Hippowdon, etc (not necessarily all of them).
Icicle Spear is a powerful stab Ice-type attack that paired with its ability, basically makes it a base 125 power move that ignores an opponent's Focus Sashes due to it hitting multiple times which can OHKO nearly the entire unboosted Metagame, only being lived by some common tanks like Ferrothorn, Eviolite Corsola, Rotom-W, and Seismitoad unless it manages to get off a second Shell Smash.
This is somewhat repeating the first couple of lines unnecessarily. It could be simplified to icicle spear hits <> that liquidation doesnt, similarly to how liquidation is currently described, but id want a couple examples of what liquidation hits too.

The preview also needs some team options mentioned. What goes well with Cloyster? What kinda teams does it fit? What can't it beat? The preview should answer these questions at fitting points. I'll review again after changes.

It's not necessarily about the walls as it is killing offensive targets as well. Runerigus and Togekiss aren't used right now, so remove those. Actual "walls" to discuss its matchup against would be Corviknight, Corsola-G, Tyranitar/Hippowdon, etc (not necessarily all of them).

This is somewhat repeating the first couple of lines unnecessarily. It could be simplified to icicle spear hits <> that liquidation doesnt, similarly to how liquidation is currently described, but id want a couple examples of what liquidation hits too.

The preview also needs some team options mentioned. What goes well with Cloyster? What kinda teams does it fit? What can't it beat? The preview should answer these questions at fitting points. I'll review again after changes.
I have done a lot of what you have requested, if there are any other issues, just reply it and I will fix it as soon as I see your reply.

Although not getting access to any rain-boosted abilities, Cloyster still has a great spot on rain teams due to Liquidation being boosted by the rain, which just allows Cloyster to OHKO even more Pokemon that it couldn't normally.
Rain is difficult to dedicate multiple mons to without essentially fishing for matchup, I find it better to just have Pelipper + 1 rain abuser, which Cloyster isnt as high on the list like say, Dracovish would be. Cloyster is mainly an entry hazard lead for HO similar to Mew but can get serious damage in too.
It also goes great alongside any Defoggers or Rapid Spinners due to Cloyster not being able to take a single special hit without its sash, so it can't afford it's Focus Sash becoming obsolete due to any hazards.
Going off my earlier point its not that important to run Defog when Cloyster mainly leads - it can't going reliably without doing so. I'd revise this second section a bit before i stamp.
[CREDITS]
-Written by: [[HyperGamer0130] [I don't know how to check user ID]
User ID can be found from the last part of your profile link: https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/hypergamer0130.499844/
In this case its 499844.

Rain is difficult to dedicate multiple mons to without essentially fishing for matchup, I find it better to just have Pelipper + 1 rain abuser, which Cloyster isnt as high on the list like say, Dracovish would be. Cloyster is mainly an entry hazard lead for HO similar to Mew but can get serious damage in too.

Going off my earlier point its not that important to run Defog when Cloyster mainly leads - it can't going reliably without doing so. I'd revise this second section a bit before i stamp.

User ID can be found from the last part of your profile link: https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/hypergamer0130.499844/
In this case its 499844.
I have fixed what you said, and thanks for telling me how to find my id

Although Liquidation being boosted in the rain, Cloyster has a better role as a hyper offensive spikes lead to lay down spikes and threaten the extremely common Excadrill, often being able to 2HKO it without Shell Smash.
pressures Corviknight as well

this seems fine now.

QC 1/2

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Shell Smash allows Cloyster to become a very fast sweeper along with its Jolly nature, only allowing it to be outsped by the likes of Zacian-C
It outspeeds Zacian-C at +2. Even Adamant reaches 478 Speed which is faster than a Jolly Zacian-C (434)

Cloyster already has an extremely high defense which allows it to tank quite a few physical hits but also has an abysmally low Special Defence, so a Focus Sash allows it to always tank a special hit so it can either manage to use Spikes or Shell Smash
The idea behind focus sash is so cloyster can safely setup but also make an effective lead Pokemon. amend this statement so it reflects that.
Icicle Spear is able to hit what Liquidation cant, and Icicle Spear can OHKO nearly the entire unboosted Metagame, only being lived by some common tanks like Ferrothorn, Eviolite Corsola, Rotom-W, Seismitoad, and Corviknight unless it manages to get off a second Shell Smash.
Not sure what this is trying to say. This statement is more to do with Cloysters offensive prowess, at +2 these are the only pokemon it is unable to OHKO? Its kinda unnecessary and comes off as confusing, let me know what you think of this.

Implement these and I'll go over the analysis again and look into a stamp

It outspeeds Zacian-C at +2. Even Adamant reaches 478 Speed which is faster than a Jolly Zacian-C (434)

The idea behind focus sash is so cloyster can safely setup but also make an effective lead Pokemon. amend this statement so it reflects that.

Not sure what this is trying to say. This statement is more to do with Cloysters offensive prowess, at +2 these are the only pokemon it is unable to OHKO? Its kinda unnecessary and comes off as confusing, let me know what you think of this.

Implement these and I'll go over the analysis again and look into a stamp
I fixed all you said and the list of pokemon that can live an attack less confusing, I also shortened the list. Tell me if anything else needs fixing and ill check it right away.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
only allowing it to be outsped by Barraskewda in the rain, Polteageist after Shell Smash, and certain scarfed Pokemon.
More relevant Pokemon would be Excadrill in Sand, Polteageist speed ties so its kind of ambiguous.

Icicle Spear is able to hit what Liquidation cant, and Icicle Spear can OHKO nearly the entire unboosted Metagame, only a few common tanks like Ferrothorn, Eviolite Corsola, Corviknight, and a few others are able to live an Icicle Spear unless it manages to get off a second Shell Smash.
An easier way to say this is along the lines of "Only a handful of Pokemon are able to live +2 Icicle Spear such as Ferrothorn, Eviolite Corsola, Corviknight, unless Cloyster manages to get off a second Shell Smash."

Not really sure what you're referring to as the 'unboosted metagame' my suggestion condenses the sentence into what you feel you're trying to say.

Cloyster is also one of the few offensive Spikes setters the metagame has which can go along great with its Focus Sash.
This should really just combined with the first sentence of your analysis.
Same goes for any dual water-types who's secondary typing are not weak against water or ice.
This is rather redundant, its mostly a given. Just remove it.
offensive sweepers
offensive Pokemon is more of a fair descriptor. or just remove Cinderace as it isn't really a sweeper.

--

Agility Eternatus loves Spikes support and should receive a team member mention.

Implement these changes

Last edited:
More relevant Pokemon would be Excadrill in Sand, Polteageist speed ties so its kind of ambiguous.

An easier way to say this is along the lines of "Only a handful of Pokemon are able to live +2 Icicle Spear such as Ferrothorn, Eviolite Corsola, Corviknight, unless Cloyster manages to get off a second Shell Smash."

Not really sure what you're referring to as the 'unboosted metagame' my suggestion condenses the sentence into what you feel you're trying to say.

This should really just combined with the first sentence of your analysis.

This is rather redundant, its mostly a given. Just remove it.

offensive Pokemon is more of a fair descriptor. or just remove Cinderace as it isn't really a sweeper.

--

Agility Eternatus loves Spikes support and should receive a team member mention.

Implement these changes for QC: 2/2
I did what you said, it should be ready for QC 2, tell me if anything else needs fixing though

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Icicle Spear is a powerful stab Ice-type attack that can ignore Focus Sashes and pairs great with its ability.
This is usually a given for preview analyses, you can just remove it.

Liquidation gives Cloyster a powerful stab Water move that can check threatening sweepers like Dracovish
Dracovish 4x resists liquidation so its not a good example, Just keep the latter two.

give this analysis a look over For grammar prose.

QC:2/2

This is usually a given for preview analyses, you can just remove it.

Dracovish 4x resists liquidation so its not a good example, Just keep the latter two.

give this analysis a look over For grammar prose.

QC:2/2
Done, and I have Grammarly which fixes my grammar for me but just in case I checked it anyways.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (SC) = Semicolon
Make sure you finish the credits and format them correctly, follow the formatting that I did with your name.

GP 1/1

shinxstamp.gif

[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Icicle Spear
move 3: Liquidation
move 4: Spikes
item: Focus Sash
ability: Skill Link
nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENS]
Cloyster can be a very threatening sweeper with its access to Skill Link, Shell Smash, pretty good stats, and dual stab STAB moves. It's one of the few offensive Spikes setters the tier that Ubers has. Once it uses Shell Smash, it gains the ability to OHKO many strong walls such as Rotom-H, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, and Eternatus. Shell Smash allows Cloyster to become a very fast sweeper along with its Jolly nature, only allowing it to be being outsped by Barraskewda in the rain, Excadrill in the sand, and certain scarfed Choice Scarf Pokemon. An Adamant nature allows Cloyster to OHKO a few more threats, (RC) at the cost of some speed. Cloyster already has an extremely high Defense, (AC) which allows it to tank quite a few physical hits, (AC) but it also has an abysmally low Special Defence, so a Focus Sash allows it to always tank a special hit so it can safely set up; (SC) which this allows it to be a great lead Pokemon. Icicle Spear is able to hit what Liquidation cant and Pokemon that resist Liquidation (Or something like this), while Icicle Spear can OHKO nearly the entire metagame without defensive boosts. Only a handful of Pokemon are able to live survive a +2 Icicle Spear like Ferrothorn, Eviolite Corsola, Corviknight, and a few others unless it manages to get off a second Shell Smash. Liquidation gives Cloyster a powerful stab Water Water-type STAB move that can check threatening sweepers like Excadrill and Galarian Darmanitan. When Cloyster Dynamaxes, it Liquidation turns into Max Geyser, (AC) that can set which sets up rain for Cloyster to boost Liquidation even more and can OHKO Zacian-C.

Although not getting access to any rain-boosted abilities, Cloyster can still go pairs somewhat good well with Pelliper Pelipper due to its already powerful Liquidation being boosted in the rain. Although Liquidation being boosted in the is boosted by Pelipper's rain, Cloyster has a better role as a hyper offensive Spikes lead to lay down Spikes (Capitalize) and threaten Corviknight and the extremely common Excadrill, often being able to 2HKO it without Shell Smash. Agility Eternatus also loves the Spikes support and can also go well with it. Cloyster is also usually forced to swap out against pure Water-types due to them resisting both of Cloysters its attacks.

[CREDITS]
-Written by: [[HyperGamer0130] [499844]] [[HyperGamer0130, 499844]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Just realized you have [SET COMMENS] instead of [SET COMMENTS]. Make sure to fix that please. Also, a few things were messed up when you implemented my check. Make sure you're implementing things as they are written!

You removed the word "has" at the end of this sentence when you added the other part, make sure you add it back
It's one of the few offensive Spikes setters that Ubers has.
You also made "Adamant" lowercase during the implementation. It should be capitalized
An Adamant nature allows Cloyster to OHKO a few more threats at the cost of some speed.
Remove the "what" in this sentence please
Icicle Spear is able to hit what Pokemon that resist Liquidation, while Icicle Spear can OHKO nearly the entire metagame without defensive boosts.
It should be "Water-type" not "Water-Type"
Liquidation gives Cloyster a powerful Water-Type Water-type STAB move that can check threatening sweepers like Excadrill and Galarian Darmanitan.
Everything else should be good, and this will be done once you fix the above errors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)