SS UU CM Glowbro "Rap Catéchisme"

slowbro-galar.gif :ss/copperajah: :ss/rotom-wash: zarude.gif :ss/noivern: :ss/sylveon:

Overview

Hlelo all. This is a team I came up with when trying to build around CM Glowbro, since it just felt so goddamn good when I faced it. I played it quite a bit on ladder and on roomtours but didnt feel like I had a shot to bring it in majors (even if I rly wish I brought that for the last game of pools I ended up losing). I've been willing to share a team for quite a while now, and I feel this might be my best shot at it, since this both has personal favorites to it and tier staples in it.

The goal of the team was to do anything possible for cm glowbro to win. Copperajah sets up rocks and frees Glowbro from checking fairies and poisons, Rotom Wash eats knock offs, defog and spread will o wisps, Zarude brings speed control the team desperately needs and a way to pressure bulky water types slowbro might struggle against, Noivern keeps a lot of scary stuff in check, most notably fightings and can spread toxics, helping wearing down some walls for bro and Sylveon grants wish passes, which is very much appreciated by Copper/Rotom and Noivern. Its also the more reliable way this team has to deal with stuff like Noivern.

In depths

slowbro-galar.gif
Rap Catéchisme (Slowbro-Galar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 56 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald / Psychic / Flamethrower / Stored Power
- Slack Off

Glowbro's typing, stats, moveset and ability turn it into a very nasty Calm Mind user. The toxic immunity make it able to setup on stuff that could pressure other bulky win conditions, most notably passive mons such as Chansey. It's also able to be a natural check to some of our physical threats, being able to either deal strong damage or fish burn to breakers that'd like to come and overpower it. Scald was very nifty and sorta mandatory for when Rhyperior was here, but I've been trying other options since he left and every one felt usable. Psychic gives it another way to overpower some breakers and heavilly punishes Terrakion, to which the team is rather weak ; while Flamethrower helps against steel types and Stored Power gives it a very nasty fat matchup. The given SpD evs allow it to eat two Noivern's Hurricane while not sacrificing too much physical bulk.

:ss/copperajah:

Freeze Rael (Copperajah) @ Leftovers
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 224 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Heat Crash / Earthquake
- Power Whip

Copperajah came into my mind as a Stealth Rocker mostly because it can do stuff ud normally want your Assault Vest Glowbro to do, hence check/pressure fairy and poison types, future sight Slowduo, Noivern and so forth. Adamant Nature ensures it applies as much offensive pressure as possible while being reasonably bulky, the 16 evs allowing you to reach a jump point. 16 Speed evs is for creep mostly, and 224 SpD allows it to check aforementioned stuff. Both Heat crash and Earthquake sound good to have, I often wish I had the one I didnt pick in matchs (Eq greatly helps against Tentacruel and opposing Copper), but I felt Heat Crash was slightly more useful & easy to click overall. The rest of the set is self-explanatory

:ss/rotom-wash:

Hors Ligne (Rotom-Wash)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog

The core I started with desperately needed a way to sponge Knock offs and physical it to some extend, so itemless Rotom-wash almost immediately felt like a requirement. Defog removes hazards and makes losing boots on bro less punitive, and greatly helps Copperajah, Sylveon and Scarf Zarude. Volt and Hydro are required, and I chose WoW > Pain Split once the team was rounded up, because I felt Sylveon healing rotom was enough and I needed wisp tom in some HO matchups. Itemless allows it to sponge Knocks from the like of Incineroar and Bisharp way easier, and the given spread actually allows it to outspeed everything up to Jolly Incineroar, while reaching the jump point in Def. It also allows it to completely deny Poltergeist, which is very much appreciated with Glowbro being super Alolawak and Golurk bait.

zarude.gif

Chen Laden (Zarude) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Close Combat

At that point Zarude came to my mind as a way to pressure some stuff that could badly mess with the team, most notably some ho matchups with Polteageist/Sharpedo, some bulky waters like Rotom Wash, Gastrodon and Seismitoad ; as well as being able to deal with electric terrain teams. The given ev spread ensures you live a +2 Raichu Rising Voltage under terrain and that Polteageist cant 2hko you after rocs. Scarf felt mandatory to add some form of speed control the team, its notably able to revenge kill Terrak, Bisharp under webs and non scarf Keldeo and Zarude, which can all be problematic for the team.

:ss/noivern:

Desiigner (Noivern) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 168 Def / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Toxic / Flamethrower

Seeing how the team was weak to some common threats at that point, I thought of Noivern to patch things up. It greatly helps checking most notably Keldeo, Zarude, Cobalion, some Incineroar variants and Mienshao, and brings some additional form of speed control to the team. The set trades a lot of SpA for def, which is handy cause it's able to eat two of Zarude's darkest lariat, meaning you wont just drop early by trying to switch on it if it's scarfed or decides to stay. DM + Hurricane felt like the best coverage option for this team, being able to drop big Dracos on most of the menaces while still keeping Hurricane for BU Zarude or CM Keldeo. Toxic helps in matchup against Slowking/Slowbro, crippling them and preventing them to click future sight tport too often, but I sometimes wish I had either Flamethrower or U-Turn in some matchups, and I'm still thinking Flame might be superior.

:ss/sylveon:

Scellé pt2 (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell / Mystical Fire

At that point, I still needed a few things for the team, one of them being a way to heal some stuff for reliability. Wish Sylveon being arguably the best at that and being able to check some of the remaning threats, I went for that without a second thought. It can help against a bunch of threats to the team, being the main Noivern check and being able to eat and retaliate one some stuff, like Terrakion, Keldeo, Obstagoon and Zarude. I opted for Moonblast > Hyper Voice for the latter, Boots Throat Chop Zarude being very nasty for this team. Heal bell clear the status and felt slightly more useful than Mystical on this team, altho it doesnt feel all that mandatory either, with Glowbro being able to sponge most status. Mystical helps against some fat steels on the other hand, especially if Slowbro is running a Psychic move and Noivern isnt running Flame.

Threatlist
:terrakion: :golurk: Despite me trying to patch things up, Terrakion and Golurk, among some others less relevant super hard hitters are hard to check. Rotom can come on Golurk if its not clicking Close Combat and Terrakion cant properly just kill something without taking at least decent chip outside of Copperajah, but every time Rajah is out they can get a chance at clicking buttons, and I gotta play aggresively enough to prevent that.

:zarude: While Scarf and Hdb sets probably wont do much, Band is scary and forces 50/50s which can result in getting a mon badly chipped if I click the wrong one.

:chandelure: As for every balance team I guess, this is very annoying. It needs to get the 50/50s right and it can be scouted if locked but it's a pain to face. Earthquake on Copper slightly helps against that cause it often clicks Sball anyway.

Replays

Unfortunately enough, since this was Majors time I didnt take many replays and was one some goboalts : which is very sad seeing how much I played it but I got two (one of them being relevant) !

roomtour finals vs HS : A fight were CM glowbro basically won on its own, HS' copper and Incin being unable to break through it

roomtour vs solo : Rng got the best out of me and I ended up choking on a game I think I played well, after being unable to burn copper for many tries with scald but burning his bro first try. Mamo + celebi almost overwhelmt me but I think I was in a position where I could win w/ bro on his own if I got the right amount of rng and played right, and I didnt do either.

Conclusion
Looking forward the suggestions from the community, it's my first time both posting a rmt here playing mons seriously in a while and even if it's been a few monthes, I'm still rusty and I'm sure there's a tons of possible improvements on this team. As said in the intro I'm willing to share mostly because there's a lot of fun tools in there and CM Glowbro, which I believe is one of our premier bulky win conditions and I wanted to put some light on it. I tried my best throughout to keep my English understandable, and I hope it wasnt too painful to read.

Shotouts to my french buddies and the UU community for being cool users.
s/o freeze corleone for the nicknames.
Big shotouts to Barba Atun, Tuthur, Marjane, Pujolly, Althhiel, Panur, sketchy ecchi, keppy, Ramo, pif and all the others Im forgeting about for existing
s/o Louna pour le quota Marseillais.

proof of peak.png

oml is the end.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hey Laevin o/ this is a cool team, as you know CM Glowbro is one of my absolute favourite sets in the tier rn as one of the most dangerous win cons we have, and i've had a lot of success with it on ladder / suspect reqs / discord tours.

When I was looking at this team to see how I could improve it, the Chandelure and Zarude matchups definitely jumped out for me like you commented on in your threatlist. I do think Boots Zarude sets are also a threat too though when given Future Sight support, and leave you playing constant 50/50s. Another potential weakness I felt is Mamoswine, as although you have an itemless Rotom-Wash, its lack of Pain Split or Leftovers can definitely leave it worn down easily over time with it easily forcing out 4/6 members of your team. This is especially noticeable if its a Freeze Dry variant, which can easily take advantage of the lack of recovery on your Washtom.

I also felt there was a little vacancy in terms of breaking power on this team, with Copperajah and Scarf Zarude as your only real breakers it could have a bit of trouble exerting much offensive pressure earlier in a match where Glowbro isn't going to be breaking consistently. My suggested changes should help to fix these problems for you a bit though!

Major Changes

:zarude: -> :incineroar:

:ss/incineroar:

Chen Laden (Incineroar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 144 HP / 108 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Replacing Zarude with SD Incineroar gives your team a much nicer Chandelure matchup, and a nice early-to mid game wallbreaker that loves Sylveon's Wish support. Also provides you with another Zarude check that considerably helps with Future Sight + Zarude, especially if they aren't running Close Combat, and another nice check to Steels like Escavalier / Doublade that can annoy your Sylveon and Glowbro, and opening up Heal Bell on Sylveon a lot more. The EV spread allows you to OHKO offensive Noivern at +2 with Knock Off while otherwise maximising your bulk to better check stuff like Chandelure.

:copperajah: -> :cobalion:

:ss/cobalion:

Freeze Rael (Cobalion) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Changing Copperajah to Cobalion injects some speed back into your team while removing your Zarude. In your explanation you suggested using Copperajah to help with stuff like Future Sight Slowduo and Noivern, but It's a pretty poor answer to the former due to Scald burns and Slowbro easily Teleporting into something like Terrakion on you, and with CM Glowbro + Sylveon, another Noivern check isn't necessarily required at all.

Rocky Helmet Cobalion gives you another great Zarude check that can actually punish U-turns, a useful check to Obstagoon for Glowbro, and a more offensive Stealth Rocker that can also support your Incineroar with Volt Switch support bringing it on stuff like Doublade, while making your team less vulnerable to stuff like Terrakion by removing one of the biggest Pokemon it would be able to consistently force out. Max HP improves your ability to check stuff like Zarude and Obstagoon on this team.

Minor Changes

:noivern:

I recommend going back to a maximum special attack spread with these changes, as living 2 Darkest Lariat's from Scarf Zarude is much less of a concern now. This also makes you able to offensively pressure Terrakion much better.

:rotom-wash:

Although it makes your matchups versus stuff like Mamoswine and Krookodile a little more annoying, changing your Rotom-Wash to a Choice Scarf set is a pretty solid option here with these changes, keeping your extra speed control so that you aren't reliant on Noivern + Cobalion, giving you another offensive check to Terrakion and Keldeo, and providing you with Trick support to aid in breaking through bulkier teams. Rotom-Wash being able to Trick Gastrodon is also very helpful for your Glowbro here, crippling one of its best answers. The EV spread I recommended maximises your bulk while ensuring you can OHKO terrakion after SR.

I'd personally recommend running Pain Split over Defog on this set, so that you are a much more rleiable answer to Mamoswine and Krookodile, and running Heavy-Duty Boots on your Sylveon to compensate for the lack of removal at this point, as your team will be largely unaffected by hazards if you do this with good Knock Off sponges in Cobalion, and, if it doesn't need its Scarf in the matchup, Washtom.

Final Comments

Hope you like the suggested changes. If you do find yourself wanting Hazard removal on this team again, you could definitely consider putting Defog on your Noivern (noticeably having a nice matchup versus Spikes), or run Defog > Pain Split on Rotom-W with a Leftovers Sylveon (potentially considering a 132 SpD Calm spread to better switch into Keldeo if doing this). I personally feel this team gets on fine without removal with these suggested changes though, and putting Defog on either of these two would hamper their ability to check Terrakion or Mamo/Krook respectively.​

Rap Catéchisme (Slowbro-Galar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 56 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Slack Off

Freeze Rael (Cobalion) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Hors Ligne (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split / Defog
- Trick

Chen Laden (Incineroar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 144 HP / 108 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Desiigner (Noivern) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower

Scellé pt2 (Sylveon) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)