SM OU Colin and BTB's SpecsGar Offense (Peaked #1)

Introduction

Hi everyone I’m Colin (meyhem l on the ladder) and this is a team I made with my friend BHARATH_THEBEST based around Choice Specs Gengar. I was eventually able to peak #1 on the OU ladder while using it, so I’ve decided to share the team with all of you.

Teambuilding Process

We decided we wanted to build around Choice Specs Gengar, as it hits incredibly hard and there very few ghost resists throughout the tier.

We thought spike support would be great when paired with Gengar, so we opted for Protean Greninja, which gives the team some more speed and offensive presence that is difficult to predict.

Mega Metagross was added as we thought we were weak to Tapu Lele, especially Choice Scarf variants. Metagross is one of the best Pokemon in the tier, and like Protean Greninja it’s strong, fast, and has incredible coverage.

Our team was looking very weak to Choice Specs Ash Greninja, so we decided to add AV Tangrowth to help alleviate that weakness and give us some overall great defensive utility. Tangrowth can also help deal with offensive ground types such as Zygarde, Garchomp and some Landorous.

We still needed rocks and way to break stall, so we opted for SD rocks Landorous with Rockium Z. It not only helps with our stall match up, but gives use an important ground immunity and way to break bulky nuisances such as Celesteela and Zapdos.

Despite having a fairly fast team, we still needed speed control in the form of a scarfer. We opted for Garchomp, which has a nice speed tier and typing that is useful for handling things such as Charizard-Y and Volcarona.

The Team

Gengar @ Choice Specs

Ability: Cursed Body

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Shadow Ball

- Sludge Bomb

- Focus Blast

- Trick

Choice Specs Gengar is the focal point of the team and is an absolute monster in the tier at the moment. Ghost resists in OU are few and far between, meaning Gengar gets to consistently spam strong Shadow Balls, making it a very hard pokemon to switch in to. Gengar’s typing is useful for soft checking Pheromosa, which is obviously a huge threat, and Poison STAB is nice in a tier with same many Fairy types. Being a Ghost type allows Gengar to serve as a spin blocker and prevents it from being trapped by Dugtrio. Trick allows you to neuter Chansey and potentially other walls.

Greninja @ Life Orb

Ability: Protean

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Spikes

- Gunk Shot

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Hydro Pump

Greninja is a very reliable spike setter, which is important because our team lacks hazard control, meaning you must often rely on matching hazards with opposing spikes based teams. Protean makes Greninja one of the most difficult pokemon to switch and allows to reliably dent nearly the whole tier. Gunk Shot allows you to pressure Tapu Fini when it attempts to Defog, while HP Fire nets kills on Ferrothorn and Scizor. Hydro Pump is just a strong move that allows you to dent things you can’t hit super effectively.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite

Ability: Tough Claws

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Meteor Mash

- Earthquake

- Bullet Punch

- Thunder Punch

Mega Metagross is probably the best pokemon in the tier at the moment, as it is fast, hits insanely hard, and has incredible natural bulk. To go along with this, it also a fantastic movepool, making it hard to predict. To go along with standard Meteor Mash and Earthquake, we’ve opted for Bullet Punch to give the team a form of priority, which allows Metagross to check things such as Pheromosa after chip damage. Thunder Punch allows us to hit Skarmory, Celesteela, Gyarados, Mantine, and Charizard-Y.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

- Giga Drain

- Knock Off

- Earthquake

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth is the only true defensive Pokemon on the team. Assault Vest allows it reliably check a myriad of special attackers, including the ever so threating Ash Greninja. Bulky Grass types are great in the current metagame, and HP Ice allows Tangrowth to deal with Zygarde, Garchomp, and some Landorous. Earthquake allows you to hit Heatrans as they switch and lets you dent Steel types such as Metagross and Magearna.

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Swords Dance

I think offensive Landorous is one of the best rockers at the moment, and is invaluable to this team. Using this set well will allow you to break stall and break teams which rely on fat defensive cores. An offensive set allows to punish Tapu Fini as it switches in when you set up Stealth Rock, while Swords Dance allows it to take on Pokemon such as Scizor, Zygarde, and many others. The EV’s for allowing you to outspeed Zapdos, but I’m not sure this is the most optimal spread. I feel as though max speed could be the better option, but the team has been successful so I haven’t changed it.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Rough Skin

Jolly Nature

- Dragon Claw

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Outrage

Garchomp serves as the teams speed control, and it’s base 102 Speed allows to check the rampant amount of base 100 Speed Pokemon capable of boosting such as Salamence, Charizard-X, and Volcarona. While it’s unfortunate that you pretty much always have to lock yourself into a move that the opposing team has an immunity to, Earthquake and Outrage hit pretty hard. Additionally, Garchomp’s typing allows to soft check Fire types such as Charizard-Y and Heatran.

Conclusion

Overall, this is a pretty fun offense team that has worked really well for BTB and I. There are some pretty massive threats to it, such as Autotomize Celesteela, Quiver Dance Pheromosa, and Mega Scizor. The stall matchup is also pretty difficult because nothing really handles Mega Sableye, but it is not unwinnable. Overall, I think this is a pretty well built team that has proven to be effective. It’s pretty easy to use and gives you a chance to win versus nearly any other archetype. Shoutout Dokkerich, Patlop, TK, Denis, Eric and everyone else.

Gengar @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Sludge Bomb

- Focus Blast

- Trick

Greninja @ Life Orb

Ability: Protean

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

IVs: 30 Atk

- Spikes

- Gunk Shot

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Hydro Pump

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite

Ability: Tough Claws

Jolly Nature

- Meteor Mash

- Earthquake

- Bullet Punch

- Thunder Punch

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

- Giga Drain

- Knock Off

- Earthquake

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z

EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Swords Dance

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Rough Skin

Jolly Nature

- Dragon Claw

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Outrage

Last edited:
Okay, looking at your ranking, I see that I will only dream of being as good as you and you are completely out of my league. However, let me say this.Timid Ash greninja with ice beam can superefectively hit almost every single pokemon on your team. Are you sure that ice beam won't 2 shot tangrowth? And even then, If tangrowth falls, than your team is in serious trouble.

Okay, looking at your ranking, I see that I will only dream of being as good as you and you are completely out of my league. However, let me say this.Timid Ash greninja with ice beam can superefectively hit almost every single pokemon on your team. Are you sure that ice beam won't 2 shot tangrowth? And even then, If tangrowth falls, than your team is in serious trouble.
Yeah Ash Greninja with Ice Beam is actually a pretty big threat, and I even noticed it getting a bit more use as of late. But you can pivot from Tangrowth to Metagross after the first Ice Beam.

Yeah Ash Greninja with Ice Beam is actually a pretty big threat, and I even noticed it getting a bit more use as of late. But you can pivot from Tangrowth to Metagross after the first Ice Beam.
And then he dark pulses the mettagross. w8. can mettagross OHKO with bullet punch?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Ice Beam Ash Gren is extremely rare though, and it needs rolls to 2hko Tang so it would need to come in multiple times and smart doubles to pressure tang and get the transformation. Without Specs it ain't even a threat

Well, the concept of your team is good, I really enjoy a wallbreaker as Specs gengar, but you have some problem to defeat stall and some stuff like Pheromosa, Mega Charizard X, Mega Metagross and Volcarona...
1)If I were you I would use Mega Scizor>Mega Metagross: with Swords Dance it can pressure the opponent and U-Turn gives you a lot of momentum, It's helpful for checking better Mega Metagross and It is also a good fairy check.
2)Nihilego>Garchomp is a good option for checking better stuff like Volcarona and after a kill it can boost its special attack and it can be more dangerous, with the choice scarf gives you a great speed control. I think it's just a better cleaner, specially in lategame.
3)Heatran>Greninja because you should have a pokèmon that pressures your opponents' steel type, It is also great for trapping stuff like Tapu Fini and kill it with Bloom Doom. It's a nice stallbreaker.
4)You haven't a defogger, hazards make pressure to you and you can try a Tapu Fini>Tangrowth that allows you to check Mega Charizard X and Pheromosa too.

Hope you've enjoyed my rate.

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hello ayevon,

You have a really solid which has ways of beating every matchups. The only really hard matchups I can find are against Ash-Greninja + Pheromosa because these two Pokemons heavily pressure your team and your only Switch-in to Ash-Greninja is Tangrowth which is beaten by Pheromosa. U-Turn spamming wears down your team and they can sweep after. You can deal with this core with Scarf Garchomp but you will often have to sack a Pokemon or risk switching into a U-Turn but it will be a 50/50 and M-Metagross spamming Thunder Punch is also a good way of limiting their entries but it's heavily pressured by Greninja. M-Scizor can quickly become a problem if you let it setup enough Swords Dances. But it can't find many setup opportunities against your team and can be killed if you keep the right Pokemons alive. You can also sack Gengar and hope for the Cursed Body's effect but it's really tricky.

I have some optional Pokemon changes but the principal ones will be concerning movesets and EV spreads which would help your team against its hard matchups :

Low Kick > Gunk Shot
Low Kick over Gunk Shot on Greninja allows you to beat Chansey which is great for Specs Gengar but also to improve a bit your matchup against other Greninjas since you can hit them super effectively which can be decisive if you win the speed tie. With Gengar as a soft check to Pheromosa and Low Kick Greninja, your core synergizes better and you have a better matchup against Greninja + Pheromosa. Also, your team doesn't very struggle against and Grass Types and Fairy Types since you have Gengar, M-Metagross and Tangrowth to deal with them.

Zen Headbutt > Earthquake
I think Zen Headbutt is necessary on Metagross because your team has troubles against Toxapex. Earthquake and Thunder Punch don't OHKO it so, it can stall out your Metagross and burn it. With Zen Headbutt on it, you can 2HKO it as well as improve your matchup against M-Venusaur and Tapu Lele since its Psychic Terrain boosts your Zen Headbutts and makes opposing switch-ins harder.

Now the optional Pokemons changes :

To cover the weaknesses I listed above you can also try LO Taunt Gengar for breaking Stall without being locked into a single move, Specs Keldeo over Greninja which gives you an Offensive Switch-in to Greninja and puts much pressure as well as giving you a which can burn it with Scald (and has a high to 2HKO it) and takes Bullet Punch better, and Spikes Ferrothorn over Tangrowth which gives you a Spikes user having the same resistances as Tangrowth and a Poison immunity as well as something to limit U-Turn spamming and to pressure the opponent's team with Leech Seed.

Once again, your team is really solid and can take many forms and beat most playstyles in the tier. I really like your team and I wish you the best of the luck with it ^_^
Low Kick Greninja isn't supposed to beat Chansey since it does the exact same amount of damage as Gunk Shot with better accuracy, Gunk Shot is pretty much mandatory on Spikes Gren to beat Fini so it doesn't just Defog on your face

Wow really great team! One thing I can see right away is that your team has a good matchup against stall which is all too important for any offensive team. A few things that I can see that is a bit unfortunate are as follows:
A). Dugtrio has a field day against a weakened version of this team, notably offensive versions without rocks (band and scarf). The problem with Dugtrio is that it literally has no switch ins. You can't pivot into your Landorus or Tangrowth after they trap your gengar or chipped gren/metagross. Such is life for offensive mons however.

B). You have no switch ins to Mega Mawile which at the time of you posting this wasn't a problem but alas now is. Offensive rocks Lando barely checks it and a +2 sucker cleanly ohkos Metagross. Your best way of getting around it is making unreliable double switches.

C). Zard-x presents a very similar problem to the one above. If given any kind of breathing room to set up, it can easily sweep this team. It is worth mentioning that scarf chomp can revenge it if it is not at +2 but be weary of a second DD.

All in all, this is a very very balanced team that can deal with pretty much any threat I can think of provided its members are healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)