deleted

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
Yeah Genghis Khan has been seeing a resurgence lately because of John "idc if my wife slept with 50 guys" Green and Ted Talks pushing the meme that every white historical leader was evil and every asian historical leader is "actually not that bad you guys!" But to be fair he was a genius. Not because muh horse archers which were being used and widely known about since ancient times but because he was such an excellent leader and administrator. But he also killed like 5% of the world population which is a big no-no.

Btw idk how the translation works but the word "country" usually refers to nation-states, which came about in the late 1700s.

This might also be a translation issue but "colonize" is not really the right word for what Genghis Khan did. Colonization implies a mass settlement by the colonizer's peoples and iirc the Mongols didn't do that. Conquer is prob the better word.

A hypersuccessful strongman national hero will always be remembered fondly regardless of how much masculinity and success is demonized by society.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Yeah Genghis Khan has been seeing a resurgence lately because of John "idc if my wife slept with 50 guys" Green and Ted Talks pushing the meme that every white historical leader was evil and every asian historical leader is "actually not that bad you guys!" But to be fair he was a genius. Not because muh horse archers which were being used and widely known about since ancient times but because he was such an excellent leader and administrator. But he also killed like 5% of the world population which is a big no-no.

Btw idk how the translation works but the word "country" usually refers to nation-states, which came about in the late 1700s.

This might also be a translation issue but "colonize" is not really the right word for what Genghis Khan did. Colonization implies a mass settlement by the colonizer's peoples and iirc the Mongols didn't do that. Conquer is prob the better word.

A hypersuccessful strongman national hero will always be remembered fondly regardless of how much masculinity and success is demonized by society.
Oh, I had no idea about the word country.
So what word do you use to refer to the place where one king ruled? (Not emperor)
Is it nation, or kingdom?

Both indirect and direct colonization both have a fundamental problem of one culture having power and control over another. Especially under what you consider "direct colonization", it's the European powers trying to "civilize" the perceived inferior culture. No choice is given to the colonized. What you described as "indirect" sounds less like colonization, more like a mutual exchange between cultures. However, even mutual exchanges of culture can have one party having more power and control over the other (example: Hollywood).

The current state of race relations are a result of European colonization. There is a lot of animosity from victims of colonizations, against the colonizers. While Hong Kong is fairly chill about the Brits colonizing Hong Kong, they're most definitely not happy with China colonizing Hong Kong.

Cresselia~~

Both indirect and direct colonization both have a fundamental problem of one culture having power and control over another. Especially under what you consider "direct colonization", it's the European powers trying to "civilize" the perceived inferior culture. No choice is given to the colonized. What you described as "indirect" sounds less like colonization, more like a mutual exchange between cultures. However, even mutual exchanges of culture can have one party having more power and control over the other (example: Hollywood).

The current state of race relations are a result of European colonization. There is a lot of animosity from victims of colonizations, against the colonizers. While Hong Kong is fairly chill about the Brits colonizing Hong Kong, they're most definitely not happy with China colonizing Hong Kong.
As far as I'm concerned, Singapore is also fairly chill about Brits colonizing Singapore.
But that said, both Hong Kong and Singapore became crazy rich during colonization.

But I do remember the days where white on Asian racism was a serious problem in Hong Kong.
Whilst most white people were nice, there was literally nothing that can be done if a white person is horrible towards an Asian person.

there was literally nothing that can be done if a white person is horrible towards an Asian person.
I'm going to nitpick on this point... If you want to do something about that, you need to "kick up". Call them out, set them as an example of what not to do.

Either you allow yourself to be disrepspected, or you stand up for yourself. Either way, do not care about what they will think of you - minorities are always viewed badly by their oppressors.

Cresselia~~

I'm going to nitpick on this point... If you want to do something about that, you need to "kick up". Call them out, set them as an example of what not to do.

Either you allow yourself to be disrepspected, or you stand up for yourself. Either way, do not care about what they will think of you - minorities are always viewed badly by their oppressors.
social media didn't exist back in the 90's.

Cresselia~~

Lack of social media didn't stop people from organizing protests against oppression
Not a lot of white people were horrible to Asians back then.
Certainly not enough to lead to a protest.

Moreover, Hong Kong people those days would rather protest for money-related problems.

Culturally, Hong Kong people are very submissive towards authority. (Especially the older generation)

Last edited:
I become sad when I remember of the Brazil colonization, also by European (Portuguese), we still have marks reflected in black people. I am member of the black people and I am part of the suffering. The diseases brought by Portugueses, the treatment, the violence, the slavery.. We still can see the difference of treatment between black and white people, why so clear? Unfortunately we are wronged, but we resist every day and we just want a country more fair, our Brazil.

Cresselia~~

EDIT: You can talk about how you feel about colonization if you come from a country that was colonized.
I become sad when I remember of the Brazil colonization, also by European (Portuguese), we still have marks reflected in black people. I am member of the black people and I am part of the suffering. The diseases brought by Portugueses, the treatment, the violence, the slavery.. We still can see the difference of treatment between black and white people, why so clear? Unfortunately we are wronged, but we resist every day and we just want a country more fair, our Brazil.
Can you talk a bit more about the unfairness in Brazil right now?
Are the unfair treatment as serious for native Brazilians? (Hispanics)
Actually, I'm more curious as to how many people from Brazil like to victimize themselves?

White people hardly have any power/ influence in Hong Kong right now.
Same with Singapore and Indonesia (former Dutch colony)

Last edited:
EDIT: You can talk about how you feel about colonization if you come from a country that was colonized.

Can you talk a bit more about the unfairness in Brazil right now?
Are the unfair treatment as serious for native Brazilians? (Hispanics)
Actually, I'm more curious as to how many people from Brazil like to victimize themselves?

White people hardly have any power/ influence in Hong Kong right now.
Same with Singapore and Indonesia (former Dutch colony)
The black population is the most affected by inequality and violence in Brazil. This is what the United Nations (UN) warns. In the labor market, blacks and browns face more difficulties in career advancement, equal pay and are more vulnerable to bullying.

According to another study conducted in 2017, the black population also accounts for the majority (78.9%) of the 10% of the individuals most likely to be homicides.

Femicide, that is, the murder of women because of their gendered condition, also has color in Brazil: it mainly affects black women. Between 2003 and 2013, the number of black women murdered rose by 54%, while the white femicide rate fell by 10% over the same period of time.

Men, young, black and low schooling are the main victims of violent deaths in the country. The black population corresponds to the majority (78.9%) of the 10% of the individuals most likely to be homicide victims.

Currently, out of every 100 people murdered in Brazil, 71 are black. According to information, blacks have a 23.5% higher chance of being murdered in relation to Brazilians of other races, regardless of the effect of age, schooling, sex, marital status and neighborhood of residence.

Brazil is home to the fourth largest prison population in the world, behind only the United States, China and Russia. These are 622 thousand Brazilians deprived of their liberty, more than 300 prisoners for every 100 thousand inhabitants. More than half (61.6%) are black and brown.

Only 10% of Brazilian books published between 1965 and 2014 were written by black authors, according to research by the University of Brasília (UnB), which also analyzed the characters portrayed in the national literature: 60% of the protagonists are men and 80% of them are white.

Other research has shown that black men are only 2% of national filmmakers. Behind the cameras, no black women were registered. The racial gap remains among the writers: only 4% are black.

The crisis and the wave of unemployment also hit the Brazilian black population with more force: they are 63.7% of the unemployed, which corresponds to 8.3 million people. As a result, the unemployment rate for blacks and mulattoes was 14.6% - among white workers, the rate is lower: 9.9%.

If you want to create a relation between Singapore with Brazil, Hong Kong with Brazil, you are being useless. There’s no a number of Brazilian people that victimize themselves, depends of their reality here, that’s all.

Cresselia~~

The black population is the most affected by inequality and violence in Brazil. This is what the United Nations (UN) warns. In the labor market, blacks and browns face more difficulties in career advancement, equal pay and are more vulnerable to bullying.

According to another study conducted in 2017, the black population also accounts for the majority (78.9%) of the 10% of the individuals most likely to be homicides.

Femicide, that is, the murder of women because of their gendered condition, also has color in Brazil: it mainly affects black women. Between 2003 and 2013, the number of black women murdered rose by 54%, while the white femicide rate fell by 10% over the same period of time.

Men, young, black and low schooling are the main victims of violent deaths in the country. The black population corresponds to the majority (78.9%) of the 10% of the individuals most likely to be homicide victims.

Currently, out of every 100 people murdered in Brazil, 71 are black. According to information, blacks have a 23.5% higher chance of being murdered in relation to Brazilians of other races, regardless of the effect of age, schooling, sex, marital status and neighborhood of residence.

Brazil is home to the fourth largest prison population in the world, behind only the United States, China and Russia. These are 622 thousand Brazilians deprived of their liberty, more than 300 prisoners for every 100 thousand inhabitants. More than half (61.6%) are black and brown.

Only 10% of Brazilian books published between 1965 and 2014 were written by black authors, according to research by the University of Brasília (UnB), which also analyzed the characters portrayed in the national literature: 60% of the protagonists are men and 80% of them are white.

Other research has shown that black men are only 2% of national filmmakers. Behind the cameras, no black women were registered. The racial gap remains among the writers: only 4% are black.

The crisis and the wave of unemployment also hit the Brazilian black population with more force: they are 63.7% of the unemployed, which corresponds to 8.3 million people. As a result, the unemployment rate for blacks and mulattoes was 14.6% - among white workers, the rate is lower: 9.9%.
But do the racism towards blacks in Brazil come from the whites or the hispanics though?
How much political/ financial power do the whites still have in Brazil?'

I'm asking this because I don't think the injustice you're experiencing now is caused by European colonization.
Blacks in general are badly treated in most non-white (and non-black) countries even if those countries were never colonized by European forces.
Blacks face much worse treatment in Arab countries.

If you want to create a relation between Singapore with Brazil, Hong Kong with Brazil, you are being useless. There’s no a number of Brazilian people that victimize themselves, depends of their reality here, that’s all.
You can't deny that these are all former colonies though.

Last edited:
But do the racism towards blacks in Brazil come from the whites or the hispanics though?
How much political/ financial power do the whites still have in Brazil?'

I'm asking this because I don't think the injustice you're experiencing now is caused by European colonization.
Blacks in general are badly treated in most non-white (and non-black) countries even if those countries were never colonized by European forces.
Blacks face much worse treatment in Arab countries.

You can't deny that these are all former colonies though.
The European colonization is just a factor to the results, I want to say that the actions made by the European occasionally brought a reflection to black people, because mainly in Brazil, we still can see in the news slaves black people, even in a small number. The injustice started with the European colonizators, and Brazil don’t have a good education structure, so the people aren’t great to study and understand the past of Brazil and how it still continues with the injustice.

Cresselia~~

The European colonization is just a factor to the results, I want to say that the actions made by the European occasionally brought a reflection to black people, because mainly in Brazil, we still can see in the news slaves black people, even in a small number. The injustice started with the European colonizators, and Brazil don’t have a good education structure, so the people aren’t great to study and understand the past of Brazil and how it still continues with the injustice.
I see. Great answer.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
As far as I'm concerned, Singapore is also fairly chill about Brits colonizing Singapore.
But that said, both Hong Kong and Singapore became crazy rich during colonization.
Because I’m from Singapore, I can safely say yes to this statement. The Brits are nice. But the Japanese weren’t nice. But I forgive them because they gave us Pokemon! XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)