Columbus Day or Indigenous Peoples Day

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Well, its Columbus Day.... or is it? Is it Indigenous Peoples Day instead of Columbus Day?

Whatever day it is, I have to make this thread. I made it last year, and Ill make it this year.

So for anyone who doesnt know, Columbus Day was named after Christopher Columbus, who many consider to be a de-facto founding father for both America and South America. He committed a lot of nasty shit though - so much so that even the Queen of Spain and his other contemporaries thought he was brutal. But he did open up the New World, without which we wouldnt have NASA, things like the Allies winning the Second World War, the MRI machine, Nuclear Power, etc. I mean, frankly, the New World has been a net positive for humanity.

Again I say, or is it? Is it Columbus Day? Because Indigenous people have thrown their hat into the ring to claim the day for themselves - at the behest of many progressive allies and the Indigenous people. Now, these people were noble - They lived on the land and taught many early settlers their techniques, without which there would be no America, no NASA, no MRI machine. People would be speaking German. Unfortunately, they were killed and genocided for their efforts although it should be noted that most of them died from the incidental spreading of disease.

So who should the day be named after? Does Columbus deserve Columbus day? Or do the Indigenous People deserve it? Maybe we could have something like "New World Day" that appreciates them both. Thoughts?

Reactions: BP

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd argue it should actually be called Spain Day as Columbus wouldn't have been able to fund his expedition without the support of the Spanish royal court.

Reactions: BP

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Well, its Columbus Day.... or is it? Is it Indigenous Peoples Day instead of Columbus Day?

Whatever day it is, I have to make this thread. I made it last year, and Ill make it this year.

So for anyone who doesnt know, Columbus Day was named after Christopher Columbus, who many consider to be a de-facto founding father for both America and South America. He committed a lot of nasty shit though - so much so that even the Queen of Spain and his other contemporaries thought he was brutal. But he did open up the New World, without which we wouldnt have NASA, things like the Allies winning the Second World War, the MRI machine, Nuclear Power, etc. I mean, frankly, the New World has been a net positive for humanity.

Again I say, or is it? Is it Columbus Day? Because Indigenous people have thrown their hat into the ring to claim the day for themselves - at the behest of many progressive allies and the Indigenous people. Now, these people were noble - They lived on the land and taught many early settlers their techniques, without which there would be no America, no NASA, no MRI machine. People would be speaking German. Unfortunately, they were killed and genocided for their efforts although it should be noted that most of them died from the incidental spreading of disease.

So who should the day be named after? Does Columbus deserve Columbus day? Or do the Indigenous People deserve it? Maybe we could have something like "New World Day" that appreciates them both. Thoughts?
Honestly, if you look back at the facts, Columbus wasn't the first to even find out about America... Honestly, saying Columbus day exists for "his discovery" of it is honestly dumb. And besides, this next claim has a point.
In fairness nobody celebrated Columbus Day until the Italians had to find something they did for the new world so ppl would stop hating them.

nya

its miyuki monday
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor
PS Admin
Maybe it's just because I'm reminded that I live on unceded, unsurrendered Indigenous territory on the daily, the Indigenous peoples deserve at least a day for all the shit they've been through. As far as I'm concerned, Columbus has done nothing of note, and I've never been able to comprehend in the slightest why he's so celebrated. c:

While it's probably too late to change it now, they should definitely just rename it and treat it as a time to properly educate people on what happened then. However unlikely it is to happen, would probably be for the best long term to reorient the idea of what drives the holiday.

It is celebrated here in Argentina, except it's called the Respect for Cultural Diversity Day.

At least it's a massive improvement compared to its previous name, the Race Day, until around a decade ago.

It is celebrated here in Argentina, except it's called the Respect for Cultural Diversity Day.

At least it's a massive improvement compared to its previous name, the Race Day, until around a decade ago.
That’s actually a cool way to do it! Hope that’s a trend that spreads to other places, especially cause I think it’s underrepresented in a lot of places

As a Canadian, it's Thanksgiving. Don't worry, we also have holidays that exist primarily to have holidays in specific spots on the calendar: Family Day and the boringly named Civic Holiday.

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
As a Canadian, it's Thanksgiving. Don't worry, we also have holidays that exist primarily to have holidays in specific spots on the calendar: Family Day and the boringly named Civic Holiday.
"Civic Holiday" - this applies to basically every non-religious holiday ever, no?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)