Common Cores In The ORAS CAP Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Idea stolen from Shaymin :D's RU Cores thread
ORAS CAP Cores

Welcome to the Common Cores In The XY CAP Metagame thread, where you can post, discuss, and debate about an essential part of teambuilding: Cores, and the synergy between certain Pokemon.

The outcome of many games can often boil down to how well two or more Pokemon can perform together. These combinations are generally called "cores" by competitive players. Three types of cores exist in competitive Pokemon: Offensive, Balance, and Defensive. Offensive cores generally consist of two or more Pokemon that can effectively sweep or break through a good portion of the meta, the first member hitting hard, and the second covering the first's weaknesses. Defensive cores can, on the other hand, effectively ignore significant portions of the meta, unaware of the fact that something is trying to attack them. The members of these cores cover each others' weaknesses while also bringing utility to the team in general. Lastly, balance cores aren't vehemently offensive or defensive. These are used to keep momentum in a game, while also serving as pivots or support for the team.

The point of this thread is to act as a resource for newcomers to the metagame. It can also be used as a hub for creativity in combinations of Pokemon. Say some user finds out that when Hoppip and Magikarp are used in congruity, they form an unbreakable offensive Splash core. That knowledge can be made public here, and new steps towards a more advanced and enjoyable metagame can be taken.

Now, let's move on to guidelines for submission.
  • Please don't suggest a core of more than three Pokemon.
  • Submit full movesets for the Pokemon in the Smogon Importable Format.
  • Explain the usefulness of your core. Don't just say "X and Y work real good together".
  • It's helpful to provide replays as proof of the core working
  • All Smogon and PS! rules apply, as well as United States law.
Core Archive:

Offensive Cores:

Fidgit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Trick Room
- Encore
- U-turn
- Sludge Bomb / Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance / Fire Fang

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace / Pixielate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Focus Blast / Taunt / Calm Mind

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rebound
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Defensive Cores:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss/ Wish
- Soft-boiled/ Protect
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 96 SpD/ 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Reflect
- Haze

Balance Cores:

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Sp.Def
Calm Nature
- Substitute / Taunt
- Roost
- Nature Power / Baton Pass
- Air Slash

Cyclohm @ Assault Vest
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

Have fun, and happy posting :)

Last edited:
Sneaking this one in before Heal posts it ;)

Ladies and gentlemen...Fidgwile? Mawgit? I sadly haven't come up with a cute nickname. Personally, I've just been calling it the Reaper. Because let's be clear: this core can clear the field.

OFFENSIVE CORE

Fidgit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Trick Room
- Encore
- U-turn
- Sludge Bomb / Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance / Fire Fang

Core is, admittedly, a bit of a generous description: Fidgit is mostly there to facilitate Mawile's transformation from heavy hitter to team-cleaning wrecking ball. The idea is simple - Fidigt gets an extended trick room up thanks to Persistent and then gets out of there, either dying or using it's high speed (reversed via Trick Room) to safely U-turn to Mawile. From there, you Mega-Evolve and go. Very few things are slower than Mawile, and as such very few things can effectively stop it in Trick Room, especially in the CAP tier, where Malaconda's 55 Base Speed is considered the lowest you can get.

For Fidgit, Encore is nearly as valuable as Trick Room is, as it puts a stop to a handful of dangerous set-up sweepers that could other wise cause you trouble, and can force switches, preserving Fidgit and giving you a shot at a 2nd Trick Room later in the match. It's also simply a handy utility move. U-turn is there for a quick exit, and the final move is mostly filler - Sludge Bomb provides an emergency offensive option, and Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock are both handy utility moves.

Mawile itself is interesting. Iron Head and Play Rough are the obvious STABs, and overall self-evidently effective. While it can opt for Swords Dance like its OU brethren, in general you want to maximize every turn of Trick Room you have. As such, a straight 4-attack set is, in my experience, most effective, giving great coverage that frankly no one expects. Rock Slide is the real MVP here, handling bulky fires that are otherwise ideal checks to Mawile. Fire Fang, though weak, provides your best option against Steel, specifically Caw and Skarm. As a distant other option, I'd say you could consider Sucker Punch in the 4th slot, or even over Rock Slide. It seems counter-intuitive, but it's also great for catching a 'mon after your Trick Room has run out. Bit of a gimmick, though, and perhaps not worth the loss in coverage.

As a final note, act fast. This core is expiring soon!

Last edited:
Def Core

Chirpsy @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss/ Wish
- Soft-boiled/ Protect
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 156 / 96 SpD/ 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Reflect
- Haze

These two Pokemon form a very strong stall core together that can be incredibly hard to take down if you don't have the proper tools. Due to Chansey's mammoth HP stat coupled with massive SpD stat further boosted by eviolite, it can tank boosted and or super effective special hits with ease. However, Chansey only has 5 Def which is quite pathetic, this is were Tomohawk comes in. Being arguably the best physical wall in the game and resisting fighting type moves, it can very easily come in on a lot of moves Chirpsy doesn't want to take. While Tomohawk doesn't have terrible SpD by a long stretch, it can't take super effective or even just strong neutral special moves very well. Chansey soaks up these hits with ease and with that you have a pretty strong stall core there.

This core can be broken by strong enough physical Psychic, Flying and Fairy type moves. Choice Band Victini, Mawile or Azu and Talonflame or Pinsir can wreck this core. Powerful mixed attackers such as Landorus can break this core with Landorus using Knock Off + Superpower to deal with Chansey and Psychic to take care of Tomohawk. Pokemon with Psyshock or Secret Sword can break this core. Notable users of this are Keldeo and Latios or Gardevoir. Note that if you aren't using Seismic Toss on your Chirpsy then this core can be beaten by special attacking Taunt users like Thundurus.

The core I'm going to post is one of the most used cores in CAP. This can be utilised both Defensively and Offensively, so I'd say this is more of a balanced one. And this core is LukeLatiVolkraken The Tomoclohm or Cyclohawk core, but I prefer calling it the Cyclohawk core more. This core handles a variety of major threats in the CAP meta. A Special Defensive wall like Chansey or Arghonaut can also be added to the core:

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
Calm Nature
- Substitute / Taunt
- Roost
- Air Slash

Cyclohm @ Assault Vest
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Cyclohawk seriously counters almost the entire meta with their power.
Malaconda, Syclant, Aurumoth, Tomohawk, Cyclohm, Colossoil, Volkraken, Fidgit, Mollux, Cawmodore, Necturna, Revenankh, Stratagem, Kitsunoh, Voodom, Arghonaut (A little more difficult against vest variants), Pyroak
The only CAP mon this set can not counter with much ease is Krillowatt and even though this core is good, some good strategy and power and maybe a bit of luck can help counter the core easily too. Substitute and Baton Pass on Tomohawk is extremeky good support for any team. Taunt is to cripple set-up sweepers. Haze is also an option, but I did not mention it in the set because Haze's best use is to counter Cawmodore, and Cyclohm handles that well. Nature Power is just to get a priority attack off on Focus Sash sweepers like Syclant and Aurumoth to defeat them before getting defeated. The Cyclohm set mentioned is the most common and easiest to use, so there is not too much need to explain that set.

The core I'm going to post is one of the most used cores in CAP. This can be utilised both Defensively and Offensively, so I'd say this is more of a balanced one. And this core is LukeLatiVolkraken The Tomoclohm or Cyclohawk core, but I prefer calling it the Cyclohawk core more. This core handles a variety of major threats in the CAP meta. A Special Defensive wall like Chansey or Arghonaut can also be added to the core:

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
Calm Nature
- Substitute / Taunt
- Roost
- Air Slash

Cyclohm @ Assault Vest
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Cyclohawk seriously counters almost the entire meta with their power.
Malaconda, Syclant, Aurumoth, Tomohawk, Cyclohm, Colossoil, Volkraken, Fidgit, Mollux, Cawmodore, Necturna, Revenankh, Stratagem, Kitsunoh, Voodom, Arghonaut (A little more difficult against vest variants), Pyroak
The only CAP mon this set can not counter with much ease is Krillowatt and even though this core is good, some good strategy and power and maybe a bit of luck can help counter the core easily too. Substitute and Baton Pass on Tomohawk is extremeky good support for any team. Taunt is to cripple set-up sweepers. Haze is also an option, but I did not mention it in the set because Haze's best use is to counter Cawmodore, and Cyclohm handles that well. Nature Power is just to get a priority attack off on Focus Sash sweepers like Syclant and Aurumoth to defeat them before getting defeated. The Cyclohm set mentioned is the most common and easiest to use, so there is not too much need to explain that set.
CycloHawk is obviously a great core, very difficult to bring down, but overall I think this is incomplete - especially with the sets you've listed. AV Cyclohm is....an odd choice, at least in my experience, and while I can see how it would be useful and hard to bring down, robbing it of Slack Off (IMO, one of the things that REALLY makes Cyclohm function well) is a bold and potentially dangerous decision. AV Cyc has no recovery, and is absolutely crippled by status. On top of that, you're potentially weak to both Ice and Fairy types. Luckily, I think you can complete the core in one mon.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Standard Sylveon, popped right out of the XY Dex. Admittedly, Chansey could do this too, but I think Sylveon adds some offensive presence (however minor) that fits with the balanced nature of this core. Heal Bell takes care of your status problem, and Wish provides ample recovery for your vested Cyclohm.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright. This thread has been inactive for a while, so I'm gonna be bringing it back with another offensive core

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

This is single-handedly the most powerful offensive core in the tier. While neither of these were made by the project, they outperform most Pokémon and CAPs in terms of wallbreaking, stallbreaking, and sheer power. Sheer Force used in conjunction with a Life Orb boost gives an effective 610 Special Attack. That plus coverage to break through the Holy Trinity of CAP (Tomohawk, Colossoil, Cyclohm) make it an unbelievably strong Pokémon on its own. Kyurem-Black reciprocates the Specially offensive power from Landorus by bouncing back the highest non-mega Attack stat in the tier. Landorus is given 252+ SpA to maximize its Special Attacking potential, while also being given 208 Spe to outspeed non-Jolly or Timid pokes with base 95 Speed. Kyurem is given 40 HP to in order to live 4 Seismic Tosses while also taking minimal damage from switching in on Steath Rocks.

A very effective core I've been trying lately. It's very effective at eliminating each other counters and has won me more than a few battles.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace / Pixielate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Focus Blast / Taunt / Calm Mind

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rebound
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Basically each member of the core attracts a pokemon against which other members excel at beating. Gardevoir is the central piece of the core, being able to smash to pieces many powerful defensive cores and pose a powerful threat to many common pokemon in CAP.

AV Colossoil is the perfect counter / check to many of Mega Gardevoir's common checks such as Heatran, Choice Scarf Mollux, Gengar, Tyranitar, etc... for Talonflame it provides the perfect switch in to Cyclohm, Stratagem, Heatran, Tyranitar, Mega Manectric, and can even survive two of Physically Defensive Rotom-W's Hydro Pump (And will take a nice chunk with Knock Off along with making it much harder for it to come back later in the match). Colossoil even provides with precious Rapid Spin support and specially with Pursuit, which is vital in this match to weaken many counter and checks to this core for them to stop checking it. The lack of Sucker Punch I haven't felt it too much because Talonflame helps with the priority and I have other revenge killers to help with the job.

Still, as anyone who has played with Colossoil knows Tomohawk completely walls it. There's no way around it. That's the moment where Gardevoir comes in, She's not 2HKOed even by Hurricane unless LO (and that set sucks) while Gardevoir easily OHKOes. Tomohawk can't even set up substitute. Talonflame is another great check to it but it's not as easy for it to switch in repetitively. Still, it's very easy to lure it with double switches or revenge kill it. Gardevoir also become a great late game cleaner under Tailwind. They also help Colossoil by getting rid of other fighting types like Keldeo, Revenankh, Argonaut & non-fighting types like Venusaur, Kyurem-B (Gardevoir), Mega Pinsir (Talonflame). The first two moves are standard. Substitute is because Sucker Punch and status are incredibly common in CAP. and it helps her beat Chansey or attack safely since almost nothing enjoys a Pixelated Hyper Voice to the face. The last move is for whatever you want to use gardevoir for. Taunt lets her be a stallbreaker. Calm Mind synergies well with Substitute and can make Gardevoir become a very dangerous booster. While Focus Blast helps her avoid becoming set up fodder for stuff like Ferrothorn, Skarmory or Excadrill.

Talonflame helps with the speed issues of the first two pokemon and grants me a powerful priority along with a good way to beat pokemon such as Revenahk and Argonaut in case Gardevoir is too weak to take of their priority attacks. It scares stuff like Scizor and with U-turn it helps easy prediction a ton. (Though watch out for Static Cyclohm, always try to trace it before you start spamming U-turn).

Last edited:

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Colossoil and Mega Pinsir form a deadly duo in that they almost require the use of Skarmory on dedicated stall teams. This offensive core is highly effective in that Colossoil provides the Rapid Spin support that Pinsir admires a lot, plus it removes things like Stratagem, Bisharp, Mollux, Heatran, Cyclohm, and Thundurus that can threaten to beat Pinsir if it isn't boosted. Plus Knock Off is great to remove Leftovers, Black Sludge, and Eviolite from stallmons to help Pinsir break through them. Pinsir is the sweeper in this core, threatening a lot of the metagame with a +2 Aerilate Return, and not even Cyclohm is a safe switch-in because of Earthquake. Some teammates that can work well are Ferrothorn that van set up hazards and inflict paralysis and check Krilowatt, Landorus to break Tomohawk, Talonflame to wear down mons and provide Tailwind, and physically bulky pivots like Cyclohm to prevent Cawmodore and Talonflame from demolishing this core.

Last edited:
Alright, here's a core for ORAS CAP.
+
+

Tomohawk @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Air Slash

Aurumoth @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Megahorn
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

This is a fun offensive core I've been trying out recently. Baton Pass is an amazing move on Tomohawk; it allows Tomohawk to escape Gothitelle, which heavily shifts momentum in your team's favor, while also giving Tomohawk a way to pass Substitutes to its teammates. Aurumoth loves boosting behind a sub with Illusion intact, and while Dragon Dance may be one of Aurumoth's lesser used boosting sets, it's still quite effective, as it punches through walls expecting a special set. Colbur Berry is the icing on the cake, allowing it to take a Sucker Punch with ease. Greninja got a nice buff in ORAS with Gunk Shot, allowing it to take out the Fairy-types that threaten Tomohawk. Tomohawk is able to lure in Fairies quite easily, and can use Baton Pass as a Fairy switches in to get Greninja in safely. Example: Tomohawk is out, opponent switches to Mega Gardevoir/Sylveon/Fairy-type, Tomohawk immediately Baton Passes to Greninja, Greninja can now donk it with Gunk Shot. Greninja blasts through physical walls and Fairy-types, which could otherwise serve as checks to DD Aurumoth.

Basically, Aurumoth+Greninja can easily wear down each other's checks, allowing the other one to clean up, and their effectiveness is amplified by the Baton Pass support Tomohawk provides.
EV/nature explanations: Tomohawk's EVs/nature emphasize physical bulk and also give it 4 chances to set up 101 HP substitutes, meaning Chansey won't be able to break them with Seismic Toss. The rest is put in SpD. Aurumoth's EVs/nature maximize attack, with enough speed to beat base 135s at +1. The rest is put into HP for bulk. Greninja's EVs/nature maximize Speed while also emphasizing Special Attack, with enough attack to OHKO AV Azumarill with Gunk Shot.

Other options: Tomohawk can also run a boosting move like Work Up or Bulk Up in place of Air Slash to pass to a teammate. Aurmoth can run No Guard over Illusion if you hate missing. Greninja can also run Low Kick and Extrasensory effectively, but the same coverage is already offered by Aurumoth in this core.

Last edited:

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
A quick note on the Pinsir/Colossoil core, speaking as somebody who makes extensive use of it. While it is a strong core, you actually do absolutely need a Cyclohm, Mollux, or Greninja for this core to actually work. Cawmodore, Skarmory, and Pain Split Rotom-W are simply too good as answers to this core. Any one of the three will usually do, with your choice mostly depending on what you want the rest of the team to do, but you need at least one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)