Community Service for the tour banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
hey. i was thinking for those that get tour banned... would be a pretty cool idea instead of making them just sit out of tournaments for years, they could lower their "sentence" with "community service" around the forums. for example, tournament players that are banned would have to write x amount of analysis, maybe something big like 25-100 whatever, in order to get unbanned quicker. that way we have actual tournament players writing analysis and helping growing smogon as a whole to "atone for their crime." this started as a meme in a chat but the idea isn't terrible imo. instead of a time out, let them help grow the competitive community in other ways and work for an unban.

besides analysis, could be taking care of spreadsheets for the huge tours, tutoring. just things to actually help out smogon

Last edited:
I think this is actually a pretty good idea, but I definitely think 25-100 is way too high of an analysis count. This is high to the point where a tourbanned user would probably finish writing 25 analyses by the time their tourbanned sentence is up. To put it simply, writing 25 analyses, let alone some ridiculous number like 50, takes forever, and there's not always enough writing material on the site in tiers the tourbanned user plays (for example, if there were no analyses available for reservation in NU, an NU tourbanned player would probably not write a very high-quality UU / OU analysis, making the analysis take longer to complete, and by extension this would make the community service requirements be not worth it in comparison to just waiting the sentence out). Therefore I think a better idea would be taking time off the tourbanned user's sentence for each analysis completed, i.e 12 or 15 days or something like that. I'm also not sure if we would be counting these analyses towards Contributor but that's another matter for debate I suppose.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I don't think how much or how little you contribute to the other areas of this site should affect how you're punished for cheating in tournaments. The two things seem completely unrelated. I also personally find it a little weird when people are tourbanned and the remainder of their activity here stays the same or even increases. You'd think that it would be a clear enough message to take a step back from their obsession. Most importantly, I believe that contributions to Smogon should come from an honest motivation to improve the community we all share, and this feels wrong to nudge tourbanned users towards work they otherwise wouldn't have done with the promise of a shortened sentence.

edit: ok that was fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)