move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Thunder Punch / Defog
item: Flame Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant
evs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Conkeldurr's strong Attack stat coupled with its ability Guts gives it the opportunity to be a powerful wallbreaker within the metagame. Conkeldurr can also be used as a check to common threats in Excadrill and Galarian Darmanitan, as Mach Punch can OHKO them. Earthquake grants Conkeldurr a strong option to hit Aegislash, Dragapult, and Clefable, which could otherwise come in on it easily. It also notably allows Conkeldurr to beat Toxapex as well as 2HKO Hatterene after Stealth Rock damage. Thunder Punch prevents Conkeldurr from being vulnerable to common setup sweepers such as Gyarados, as well as allowing it to pressure Corviknight better. While being able to come in on common entry hazard setters such as Seismitoad, Ferrothorn, and Hippowdon makes Conkeldurr a good removal option with Defog, Thunder Punch is preferred in order to make use of Conkeldurr's best asset in its Attack stat. The given Speed investment allows Conkeldurr to outspeed Hippowdon.

Conkeldurr's biggest downside is its susceptibility to the tier's strong Fairy-types, Hatterene and Clefable, as both have minimal defensive counterplay. As a result, Conkeldurr is best paired with other offensive Pokemon that can check these Fairy-types in a pinch such as Excadrill and Rotom-H. Mandibuzz also makes for an excellent partner to Conkeldurr, as it can bring it in with a slow U-turn and check the Ghost-types that are hard for Conkeldurr to deal with. Most importantly, it can remove Galarian Corsola's Eviolite with Knock Off, as Galarian Corsola is otherwise a hard stop to Conkeldurr.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Jho, 208105]]
- Quality checked by: [[Mannat, 144451] ,[Jordy, 395754]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616]]

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Earthquake absolutely should be swapped with Thunderpunch on this set; however, Thunderpunch should be slashed ahead of defog in slot 4.

Hitting Aegislash and Dragapult with EQ is absolutely essential, and the increased BP vs Toxapex, Clefable, and Hattarnee actually comes into play a lot of the time. Mandi and Corv can't even beat drain consistently because drain on roost absolutely mauls them, and you can wear down Togekiss/Gyarados with your other teammates due to them not running recovery. Thunderpunch's ability to hit those two is obviously very nice, but it's secondary to what EQ does. Defog's nice and all but Conk really wants to be attacking more than defogging the majority of the time, you'd usually rather pair it with another fogger like mandi or corv most of the time anyways.

This seems fine otherwise QC 1/2

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be blind but I don't believe this has an explanation for the 20 Speed EVs, only thing off the top of my head in that tier is Hippowdon? Which I don't believe you 2HKO under any circumstance being able to outspeed. Apologies if I'm being slow. May be impertinent of me but I'd perhaps mention Toxtricity in the partners section because it forms a relatively solid offensive core of sorts with Conk, both of them deal quite handily with mons that threaten them offensively & defensively and similarly to Mandibuzz with U-Turn Pivoting Conk in is very solid.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello, decided to take a stroll and beat lyd to the punch on this.

Couple things.
Conkeldurr can also be used as an emergency check to common threats in Excadrill and Galarian Darmanitan, as Mach Punch can OHKO them both.
I get Dynamax probably won't last long, but if either of these Dynamax Conkeldurr will fail to OHKO them so that probably should be specified (for now).
Earthquake is necessary as it allows Conkeldurr to have a strong option to hit Aegislash, Dragapult, Clefable, and Hatterene which can otherwise come in on it easily
Mention that Earthquake 2HKOes Hatterene most of the time:

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hatterene: 198-233 (62.2 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So it can't freely switch into Conkeldurr as much.

(Talah and Mellow said it was discussed to remove Ice Punch so I agree, sorry was kind of confused why Ice Punch existed before and all I could think of was Dragapult). Also mention Speed EVs (Mashfinch is correct, so kudos to them!)
Conkeldurr's biggest downside is its susceptibility to the tiers strong Fairy-Types, Hatterene and Clefable.
Personally I don't agree with Hatterene just because Earthquake can really fuck over Hatterene switching in (I get that it resists Mach Punch and Drain Punch). I think it's more fair to say it's susceptible to Special Attackers (Rotoms can't switch in but their Dynamaxed moves hit pretty hard and even uninvested Hydro Pump does a number to Conk), Gengar and Dragapult (both immune to Mach Punch), etc. Technically Galarian Corsola is also a headache for Conkeldurr since, without Knock Off (and don't mention this in the analysis), it's going to have a hard time breaking through while Corsola is going to Strength Sap Conkeldurr's Attack for health.
Whilst teammates such as Corviknight and Ferrothorn can alleviate the pressure these Pokemon can put on teams, they cannot switch in as both commonly run Fire-Type coverage.
I think Corviknight is fine to keep here, but not so sure on Ferrothorn. Most Clefable are Life Orb with a Fire-type coverage and Hatterene's Trick Room set should have Mystical Fire. You're far better off going a more aggressive approach against Clefable (outspeeding it) than trying to switch into it (let's face it - Life Orb Clefable doesn't really have good switch-ins). Excadrill works as a partner to check Life Orb Clefable while offering Conkeldurr Rapid Spin support (which can be nice since entry hazards and burn recoil can add up).

I'm sure QC can fill in more and let you know what to add / not add, so I'll stop here.

(If it's that bad Jordy / GMars / Leo just nuke this and I won't bat an eye).

Last edited:
Hello, decided to take a stroll and beat lyd to the punch on this.

Couple things.

I get Dynamax probably won't last long, but if either of these Dynamax Conkeldurr will fail to OHKO them so that probably should be specified (for now).

Mention that Earthquake 2HKOes Hatterene most of the time:

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hatterene: 198-233 (62.2 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So it can't freely switch into Conkeldurr as much.

(Talah and Mellow said it was discussed to remove Ice Punch so I agree, sorry was kind of confused why Ice Punch existed before and all I could think of was Dragapult). Also mention Speed EVs (Mashfinch is correct, so kudos to them!)

Personally I don't agree with Hatterene just because Earthquake can really fuck over Hatterene switching in (I get that it resists Mach Punch and Drain Punch). I think it's more fair to say it's susceptible to Special Attackers (Rotoms can't switch in but their Dynamaxed moves hit pretty hard and even uninvested Hydro Pump does a number to Conk), Gengar and Dragapult (both immune to Mach Punch), etc. Technically Galarian Corsola is also a headache for Conkeldurr since, without Knock Off (and don't mention this in the analysis), it's going to have a hard time breaking through while Corsola is going to Strength Sap Conkeldurr's Attack for health.

I think Corviknight is fine to keep here, but not so sure on Ferrothorn. Most Clefable are Life Orb with a Fire-type coverage and Hatterene's Trick Room set should have Mystical Fire. You're far better off going a more aggressive approach against Clefable (outspeeding it) than trying to switch into it (let's face it - Life Orb Clefable doesn't really have good switch-ins). Excadrill works as a partner to check Life Orb Clefable while offering Conkeldurr Rapid Spin support (which can be nice since entry hazards and burn recoil can add up).

I'm sure QC can fill in more and let you know what to add / not add, so I'll stop here.

(If it's that bad Jordy / GMars / Leo just nuke this and I won't bat an eye).
Thanks for the input CM I've added most of this, the bits I haven't ill say a few words on before QC has another look.

The part about Clef and Hat I wanted to come across as "if they come in for free vs an opposing conk its very bad" as both have very limited defensive counterplay options. I've changed the phrasing to hopefully get that point across a little better.

I didn't add the point about Conk being weak to Gengar/Draga as I feel that is covered by saying Mandibuzz is a great partner for the reason of checking them. However, I did add a part to the Mandibuzz bit about being able to knock Corsola's eviolite.

Also noted the speed thing, it is for Hippowdon as the 20 extra points in HP don't really do anything and the situational ability to kill hippo before it recovers is generaly better imo.

comments in purple things to remove in red
[SET]
name: Guts
move 1: Drain Punch

[SET COMMENTS]

Conkeldurr's strong Attack stat coupled with its ability, Guts, give it the opportunity to be a powerful wallbreaker within the meta. Conkeldurr can also be used as an emergency check to common threats in Excadrill and Galarian Darmanitan, as Mach Punch can OHKO them both. Calling it an emergency check is a bit misleading because it's a good check. However, it must be wary of them Dynamaxing as then Mach Punch will fail to kill them and both can do considerable damage in return. Dynamax was banned. Earthquake is necessary as it allows Conkeldurr to have a strong option to hit Aegislash, Dragapult, and Clefable which could otherwise come in on it easily. It also notably allows Conkeldurr to beat Toxapex as well as 2HKO Hatterene after Stealth Rock damage. Thunder Punch prevents Conkeldurr from being prone to common set-up sweepers such as Gyarados and Togekiss. It's a lot better at immediately pressuring Corviknight as well. Whilst being able to come in on common hazard setters such as Seismitoad, Ferrothorn, and Hippowdon makes Conkeldurr a good removal option with Defog, an All-Out Attacking set is preferred in order to make use of it's best asset in its Attack stat. The given speed investment allows Conkeldurr to outspeed Hippowdon.

Conkeldurr's biggest downside is its susceptibility to the tiers strong Fairy-Types, Hatterene and Clefable, as both have minimal defensive counterplay and therefore it can be hard for teams to switch into them. As a result of this, Conkeldurr is best paired with other offensive Pokemon which can check Clefable and Hatterene in a pinch such as Excadrill and Rotom-H. Mandibuzz also makes for an excellent partner to Conkeldurr, as it can bring it in more often thanks to U-turn whilst also being able to check the Ghost-types which are hard for Conkeldurr to deal with, importantly being able to remove Galarian Corsola's Eviolite with Knock Off as it is otherwise a hard stop to Conkeldurr.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[<Jho, 208105]]
- Quality checked by: [[Mannat, 144451] , [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]
Good job, 2/2.

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
[SET]
name: Guts
move 1: Drain Punch

[SET COMMENTS]

Conkeldurr's strong Attack stat coupled with its ability, (RC) Guts, give gives it the opportunity to be a powerful wallbreaker within the metagame. Conkeldurr can also be used as a check to common threats in Excadrill and Galarian Darmanitan, as Mach Punch can OHKO them both. Earthquake is necessary as it allows grants Conkeldurr to have a strong option to hit Aegislash, Dragapult, and Clefable, (AC) which could otherwise come in on it easily. It also notably allows Conkeldurr to beat Toxapex as well as 2HKO Hatterene after Stealth Rock damage. Thunder Punch prevents Conkeldurr from being prone vulnerable (In analyses, prone means "susceptible" or "liable"; it is not a synonym for vulnerable) to common set-(RH)up sweepers such as Gyarados, (AC) as well as allowing it to better pressure Corviknight better. Whilst While being able to come in on common entry hazard setters such as Seismitoad, Ferrothorn, and Hippowdon makes Conkeldurr a good removal option with Defog, an All-Out Attacking set Thunder Punch is preferred in order to make use of it's Conkeldurr's best asset in its Attack stat. The given speed Speed investment allows Conkeldurr to outspeed Hippowdon.

Conkeldurr's biggest downside is its susceptibility to the tier'(apostrophe)s strong Fairy-Types Fairy-types, Hatterene and Clefable, as both have minimal defensive counterplay and therefore it can be hard for teams to switch into them. (Seems a little redundant; agree or disagree?) As a result of this, Conkeldurr is best paired with other offensive Pokemon which that can check Clefable and Hatterene these Fairy-types (slight repetition) in a pinch such as Excadrill and Rotom-H. Mandibuzz also makes for an excellent partner to Conkeldurr, as it can bring it in more often thanks to (You're not really comparing it to anything) with a slow U-turn whilst also being able to check and check the Ghost-types which that are hard for Conkeldurr to deal with, importantly being able to with. Most importantly, it can remove Galarian Corsola's Eviolite with Knock Off, (AC) as it Galarian Corsola is otherwise a hard stop to Conkeldurr. (This was a little tricky. I tried to keep your voice in this sentence, but the phrasing needed a little work, and the sentence was long. I could tell that you wanted to emphasize Galarian Corsola most of all; by the sounds of it, other Ghost-types are not necessarily hard counters to Conkeldurr.)
Us CAP people gotta stick together! GP 1/1

Last edited:
Reactions: Jho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)