Metagame Convergence [DLC 2 Bans]

Been loving this metagame, Here's a really strong defensive core I've found that works well versus most of the top meta threats
1677262415119.png
1677262370034.png
1677262390699.png

Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Spikes
- Recover
- Toxic

Boring same-old clodsire but it's just so good here. He's able to stop pretty much all set-up sp attackers in their tracks with unaware + great spdef bulk and can get an accurate toxic off in return. For Ex. he deals with all quiver dance users, contrary lilligant, skeledirge, iron moth/jugulis, and many more. I like poison jab over spikes to deal with the sub quiver dancers and to cripple scream tail, but both are solid options. Most common threats are sheer force glaceon and protean vaporeon but tera-steel will put you in good shape versus them. Unaware gastrodon also works with the exact same set and may be preferred on some teams, but in general I prefer clodsire because he's bulkier, eats opposing toxic/t-spikes, and switches in to Garg easier

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Intimidate dnite is an incredible pivot dealing with a number of threats including the offensive drought users, most fighting types, meowscarda, gyara, wave crashers and can threaten them out/cripple them with will-o-wisp or u-turn out for momentum. Will-o has good synergy with clodsire too, crippling physical set up sweepers so they can never break through unaware

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Fluffy
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

This thing is a TANK. it has great defensive utility in will-o-wisp and strength sap and will take on pretty much any physical attacker in the metagame 1vs1 besides fire types and some non-contact attackers. It has great synergy with dnite because it covers his weakness to population bombers and anything with rock or ice coverage, and dnite covers misdreavus' weakness to STAB earthquakes and fire types. Bonus points for being a nice late-game win-con with calm mind and shadow ball

Biggest threats to this core are Chien-Pao and Hustle Roaring Moon, but outside of that I find I'm able to relatively easily play around any other threats. Here's a team featuring this core that I managed to peak #3 on the ladder with a W/L of 43/4: https://pokepast.es/5aa1282341b664e7 (also showcasing CB Drought Cinderace, Scarf Contrary Lilligant, and the convergence GOAT Iron Hands)

Last edited:

Garrett

Banned deucer.
Hello Convergence players! I am hosting a Convergence tournament with the inclusion of the CAP mons ("CAPVergence") in the coming week(s), either in the CAP subforum, the PS! tournaments subforum, or in the OM tournaments subforum. CAP Mons, by their typing and higher-than-normal utility/support movepools, open up a very entertaining amount of possibilities. I've highlighted just a few of what the final evolutions can do. In fact, the pre-evolutions, which have more common (and more single) type distributions, create far more hilarious options to play around with in the builder.

1.) :lycanroc:
Lycanroc @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws / Levitate / Technician
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Trailblaze

:stratagem: Stratagem lends Lycanroc an absolute nuke button in Head Smash, and the choice of ability in Levitate and Technician for niche utility. Tough Claws Head Smash lacks switch-ins.

2.) :cawmodore:
Cawmodore @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Water / Fighting
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Knock Off / Defog
- Roost

What if Corviknight was even more terrifying as a defensive powerhouse? With Volt Absorb, increased base Defense and Speed, and a flex option in Knock Off for utility, Cawmodore will answer the prayers you never had.

3.) :iron_treads:
Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate / Bulletproof
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Volt Switch
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Pain Split / Destiny Bond

:equilibra: Equilibra lends Iron Treads either a Ground-type immunity or an immune to Bullet moves such as Focus Blast. Pain Split and Destiny Bond are featured options for greater utility as a consistent user of Rapid Spin.

4.) :krilowatt:
Krilowatt @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Thanks, Rotom-Wash! Magic Guard is back and more terrifying than ever! Krilowatt can now take advantage of Nasty Plot and a stronger Water move in Hydro Pump to serious strength.

1677279675585.png

There are a LOT of new ideas. Some quickbans may be required for this upcoming tournament. I'd hate to see Poison Heal Dondozo or Alomomola with extra utility moves be unkillable for the most part. Stay tuned for the signups post!

Hello Convergence players! I am hosting a Convergence tournament with the inclusion of the CAP mons ("CAPVergence") in the coming week(s), either in the CAP subforum, the PS! tournaments subforum, or in the OM tournaments subforum. CAP Mons, by their typing and higher-than-normal utility/support movepools, open up a very entertaining amount of possibilities. I've highlighted just a few of what the final evolutions can do. In fact, the pre-evolutions, which have more common (and more single) type distributions, create far more hilarious options to play around with in the builder.

Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Trailblaze

:stratagem: Stratagem lends Lycanroc an absolute nuke button in Head Smash, and the choice of ability in Levitate and Technician for niche utility. Tough Claws Head Smash lacks switch-ins.

Cawmodore @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Knock Off / Defog
- Roost

What if Corviknight was even more terrifying as a defensive powerhouse? With Volt Absorb, increased base Defense and Speed, and a flex option in Knock Off for utility, Cawmodore will answer the prayers you never had.

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

:equilibra: Equilibra lends Iron Treads either a Ground-type immunity or an immune to Bullet moves such as Focus Blast. Pain Split and Destiny Bond are featured options for greater utility as a consistent user of Rapid Spin.

Krilowatt @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Thanks, Rotom-Wash! Magic Guard is back and more terrifying than ever! Krilowatt can now take advantage of Nasty Plot and a stronger Water move in Hydro Pump to serious strength.

View attachment 494639
There are a LOT of new ideas. Some quickbans may be required for this upcoming tournament. I'd hate to see Poison Heal Dondozo or Alomomola with extra utility moves be unkillable for the most part. Stay tuned for the signups post!
Intimidate Corv too. Spirit Shackle Pult also feels v Threatening

Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Trailblaze

Cawmodore @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Knock Off / Defog
- Roost

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Krilowatt @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

View attachment 494639
Also knock u turn gholdengo and triage annilape. Also scovillain with rock head/contrary. And scales Syclant. And daaam persistent clodsire (also knock on clod). Yo dry skin iron moth, no guard rabsca and galv mowtom (which has boomburst now)

Last edited:
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Trailblaze

It already had head smash via sudowoodo

been having a bunch of success on the low ladder with a set I ripped off this thread but with quiver dance over acupressure:

Tsareena @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Quiver Dance
- Power Trip
- Milk Drink/Worry Seed/Taunt/Substitute

Immune to status effects and prankster, so once it gets fast enough you can't taunt/encore it without it one-shotting you first. This set basically revolves around the opponent not identifying what it does soon enough and letting it get too many boosts before they switch in something that could have countered it. Screens + shed tail helps a lot.

Unaware kinda counters this, but you still need to switch it in soon enough. For example with two boosts on each side, it can KO unaware clod after spikes.
+2 0 Atk Tera Dark Tsareena Power Trip (220 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Unaware Clodsire: 412-486 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of

The biggest counter that I've encountered on ladder is tera fairy unaware ceruledge, as you would need something like 5 boosts on each side to OHKO it.

Pure grass also gets stored power so there's probably a special version of this set using lilligant.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
I need to sleep but I'll pose a question hopefully someone can answer. I need help making the challenge code. Convergence does not appear to approve of native abilities on CAP Mons.

1677569645047.png

1677569943342.png

1677569928041.png

Fire Blast is correctly invalidated, Draining Kiss is incorrectly validated. The abilities are all over the place, as Crucibelle naturally gets the Mold Breaker ability! I will delete this if this can be figured out. What's most strange is that it validated Dazzling Gleam on Crucibelle currently. It appears CAP mons simply cannot be thrown in with the simple "+CAP" flag.

I will delete this if it can be resolved lol

Attachments

Syclant @ Life Orb
Ability: Mountaineer
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance

The fact that syclant would be a quiver dance sweeper than frosmoth is funny, lower SpAtk but the higher speed helps a lot more

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I need to sleep but I'll pose a question hopefully someone can answer. I need help making the challenge code. Convergence does not appear to approve of native abilities on CAP Mons.

View attachment 495714
View attachment 495722
View attachment 495721
Fire Blast is correctly invalidated, Draining Kiss is incorrectly validated. The abilities are all over the place, as Crucibelle naturally gets the Mold Breaker ability! I will delete this if this can be figured out. What's most strange is that it validated Dazzling Gleam on Crucibelle currently. It appears CAP mons simply cannot be thrown in with the simple "+CAP" flag.

I will delete this if it can be resolved lol
The validator just checks what is legal in the current gen, it doesn't take into account anything natdex mons or cap even if you add them manually, it would require to change how it is coded.
But you can try to just do what we did before the format was coded, just use custom game or cap with !Obtainable moves and !Obtainable abilities, and just make people follow the rules.

:sv/walking wake:
Walking Wake @ Life Orb
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Nasty Plot
With the release of the new paradoxes, I thought I would share this set. It gets nasty plot and Storm drain from tatsugiri, so it could be an effective sweeper. If you want to run it with sun you can use hydro steam and protosynthesis to get a speed boost if you use 244 spatk EVs.

I've been workshopping this post for a while, but with Pokemon Home compatibility still nowhere in sight, I'd figure I'd take the chance to theorymon about what the Convergence metagame could look like when Home Drops, and what I think some potentially problematic elements of the metagame could be. I originally planned to write this post up much sooner, but my computer deadass blue-screened while I was writing it the first time, so I figured I'd take a break to think the post over (and shake off that tilt) before starting again. During that time, Hisuian Zoroark was released (not super relevant to this post now, but I'll talk about it a bit), and two new mons in Walking Wake and Iron Leaves were released, so I'll touch on them a bit at the end. The main focus of this post is to talk about the new home additions, and what might be problematic. To begin, I'd like to start by quickly listing all the Pokemon that are coming back with Home. I'll separate them based on the obviously banworthy, the probably banworthy, Pokemon that share type combos with other Pokemon, and unique type combo Pokemon. These pokemon are as follows:

Obviously Banworthy: :mewtwo: :kyogre: :groudon: :rayquaza: :dialga: :dialga-origin: :palkia: :palkia-origin: :giratina: :giratina-origin: :arceus: :landorus: :magearna: :zacian: :zacian-crowned: :zamazenta: :zamazenta-crowned: :eternatus: :calyrex-ice: :calyrex-shadow:
Probably Banworthy: :urshifu: (Single) :regieleki: :spectrier:

• :dugtrio-alola: (:iron treads:)
  • :persian-alola: (:mabosstiff: :umbreon: :zoroark:)
  • :muk-alola: :overqwil: (:skuntank:)
  • :tauros: (:blissey: :dudunsparce: :greedent: :gumshoos: :komala: :maushold-four: :oinkologne: :persian: :slaking: :stantler: :ursaring: :zangoose:)
  • :articuno: (:delibird:)
  • :articuno-galar: :braviary-hisui: (:oricorio-pau:)
  • :zapdos: :thundurus: :thundurus-therian: (:kilowattrel: :oricorio-pom pom: :rotom-fan:)
  • :zapdos-galar: (:flamigo: :hawlucha:)
  • :moltres: (:charizard: :oricorio: :talonflame:)
  • :moltres-galar: (:bombirdier: :honchkrow: :iron jugulis: :murkrow:)
  • :mew: :uxie: :mesprit: :azelf::cresselia: (:espathra: :espeon: :gothitelle: :grumpig: :hattrem: :hypno:)
  • :typhlosion: (:arcanine: :cinderace: :crocalor: :flareon: :torkoal:)
  • :typhlosion-hisui: (:ceruledge: :skeledirge:)
  • :samurott: :inteleon: (:alomomola: :barraskewda: :basculin: :clawitzer: :finizen: :floatzel: :frogadier: :golduck: :lumineon: :luvdisc: :quaxwell: :shellder: :shellos-east: :vaporeon: :wugtrio:)
  • :samurott-hisui: (:greninja:)
  • :lilligant-hisui: :chesnaught: :decidueye-hisui: (:breloom:)
  • :tornadus: :tornadus-therian: (:corvisquire:)
  • :meloetta: :wyrdeer: (:farigiraf: :indeedee: :oranguru:)
  • :delphox: (:armarouge:)
  • :decidueye: (:brambleghast:)
  • :rillaboom: (:floragato: :gogoat: :leafeon: :lilligant: :lurantis: :shroomish: :sunflora: :tsareena:)
  • :urshifu: (Rapid) (:quaquaval: :tauros-paldea-aqua:)
  • :zarude: (:brute bonnet: :cacturne: :meowscarada: :wo-chien:)
  • :regidrago: (:dragonair: :goodra: :haxorus: :shelgon:)
  • :glastrier: (:avalugg: :beartic: :cetitan: :cryogonal: :eiscue: :glaceon: :glalie:)
  • :calyrex: (:iron leaves:)
  • :sneasler: (:toxicroak:)
Unique-Typed Pokemon: :raichu-alola: :arcanine-hisui: (:slowbro-galar: :slowking-galar:) :electrode-hisui: :heatran: :zoroark-hisui: :landorus-therian: :meloetta-pirouette: :goodra-hisui: :avalugg-hisui: (:carbink: :diancie:) :hoopa: :hoopa-unbound: :volcanion: :kleavor: :ursaluna: :basculegion: (:enamorus: :enamorus-therian:)

Here I'll quickly justify why I think the aforementioned Pokemon should be banned. Most of the Uber Legends are self-explanatory, though Magearna (and maybe Landorus-I) might be tried for a bit due to the generally increased power level of the tier. As for the other Pokemon:

This is mostly due to Wicked Blow. Despite Wicked Blow's power nerf, I still don't believe convergence as a tier has enough answers to consistently deal with Urshifu-Single Strike's Wicked Blow spam combined with its newfound access to Swords Dance. Admittedly I'm the least sure about this Pokemon, as with tera on the menu, as well as Scream Tail being jacked, many Pokemon currently in the meta such as Garganacl, Skeledirge/Ceruledge, and Iron Hands could be very solid answers into it. At the same time however, with access to tera itself, this Pokemon is going to be incredibly difficult to deal with. Ultimate I think it will be tried, but I doubt the tiers ability to handle it all that effectively.

In addition to tera allowing Regieleki to blast through any potential bad matchup, it also gains access to a pretty solid coverage movepool with options such as Giga Drain and Flamethrower from Eelektross and Surf from Raichu, as well as access to Calm Mind through Jolteon. Not to mention Regieleki also gives Transistor to every mono-Electric mon in the game, allowing them to benefit from the same levels of increased power that Regieleki does. Ultimately, Regieleki's unparalleled speed, tera, and its newly expanded movepool make it far too much for this metagame.

Similarly to Regieleki, Spectrier not only can tera to beat most of its checks, but has an expanded movepool with access to coverage options in Dazzling Gleam and Mystical Fire, as well as Fluffy and Strength Sap allowing to become an extremely potent setup sweeper that's exceedingly difficult to break. While Spectrier in return doesn't donate really anything too useful to its MonoGhost brethren (though Chilling Neigh is kinda interesting), I think it benefits too much from the format and the checks to its sets are too different from one another (outside of like Blissey I guess) to be feasible for the format.

There are some other Pokemon here that could potentially be problematic, such as Mew (very wide movepool that it gives to MonoPsychics, but movepools can be very deep in this format and with the other MonoPsychics getting increased movepools from the other Pokemon anyway, I figured it wouldn't be too much of a problem) and Sneasler (doesn't get that much from the format really, but just a really scary mon in general with access to Unburden), but they don't seem nearly as game breaking as the above, so I won't mention them here.

Next, I'd like to talk about a pair of moves that have potential to be very devastating when Pokemon Home comes out; those moves being Quiver Dance and Victory Dance. Now Quiver Dance has already proven to be quite the controversial subject in this metagame, seeing as how there are many Pokemon that get access to it, and how difficult Quiver Dance sweepers can be to stop, especially if your team isn't prepared for them. While I personally haven't had big issues with Quiver Dance in this format at this time, I can see where people are coming from. One of the things that holds back Quiver Dance from being truly broken in my eyes is the users of Quiver Dance in the format. While Pokemon like Gogoat, Lilligant, Charizard, and Oricorio are all good users of Quiver Dance, the one thing that really holds them back is their lackluster stats in general. With the release of Pokemon Home however, we will see an influx of Pokemon that can not only converge with certain Quiver Dance mons, but also have much higher stats than our current abusers, making them much more difficult to handle. These abusers are as follows: :articuno-galar: :zapdos: :moltres: :braviary-hisui: :thundurus: :thundurus-therian: While I don't think that Braviary-Hisui is that scary as a Quiver Dance user, the other Pokemon listed are some combination of stronger, faster, and bulkier than our current abusers (in some cases all three). With all of these Pokemon getting Quiver Dance (and many of them having vastly different checks), it would probably be for the best if Quiver Dance gets the boot once home releases.

Articuno-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Fighting / Flying
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Tera Blast / Recover / Heat Wave
- Freezing Glare
- Hurricane

Articuno-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Tinted Lens
Tera Type: Fighting / Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Recover
- Revelation Dance / Stored Power / Esper Wing
- Hurricane

Thanks to Oricorio-Pa'u and Braviary-Hisui, Articuno-Galar is not able to use Quiver Dance, but has a much more varied special movepool as well as extremely solid abilities in Tinted Lens and Sheer Force to boot, making it a very difficult Pokemon to switch into once it gets going.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb / Prankster
Tera Type: Ground / Grass
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane

Thundurus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Ground . Grass
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

Thundurus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Ground / Grass
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

These three all do a pretty similar thing, which is leverage their stellar defensive typing of Electric/Flying to lend them setup opportunities. They do this to varying degrees of offensive and defensive prowess, with Zapdos being the bulkiest, Thundurus-T being the strongest, and Thundurus-I being the fastest. Ultimately, if I were to advocate for a Quiver Dance ban, it would be off the strength of this (particularly Zapdos and Thundurus-T) set of mons alone. Electric/Flying is already a stellar typing, and when you combine it with solid stats and one of the best boosting move in the game, it becomes quite problematic.

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gale Wings / Flame Body
Tera Type: Grass / Ground
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane

Definitely the weakest of the new Quiver Dances imo (aside from Braviary-Hisui), but Moltres is still an upgrade over Charizard due to its superior power and bulk. This mon alone probably doesn't push the power of Gale Wings too hard, but when combined with the above makes for a metagame pretty centralized around the move, which doesn't sound healthy.

As for Victory Dance, it's a move that we haven't really seen in traditional Pokemon games as of yet (outside of some OMs this generation), and while the move itself is quite strong, I hesitate to call it overbearing, at least at first glance. The big problem with Victory Dance as opposed to Quiver Dance is that the abusers are both fewer in number as well as much less diverse. Thanks to Oricorio getting Quiver Dance, Quiver Dance is available on a surprising variety of Pokemon. This simply isn't the case of Victory Dance. Only one Pokemon gets it natively (:lilligant-hisui:), meaning that only Pokemon that share Lilligant-Hisui's type (:breloom: :chesnaught: :decidueye-hisui:) are capable of using it. Ultimately, a lot of these Pokemon end up fulfilling similar purposes, making Victory Dance easier to build for. Not to mention that all users of Victory Dance can be stopped (at least on paper) by Ceruledge and Skeledirge. That being said, Victory Dance can still make Pokemon very threatening very quickly, and should you lack a solid answer to it, could spell disaster. However, I don't think Victory Dance is banworthy immediately, and would like to see how the tier develops before action is taken on the move.

(no animated model yet rip)
Lilligant-Hisui @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Fighting / Steel / Water
Jolly Nature
- Victory Dance
- Close Combat / Triple Arrows / Drain Punch
- Ice Spinner
- Substitute

Probably not that amazing of a set, but the idea is to use Substitute + Poison Heal to gain boosts with Victory Dance, allowing Lilligant-Hisui to force switches, accrue boosts, and potential go for a game. Fighting + Ice is a very potent offensive combo, and thanks to Tera Lilligant-Hisui can flip matchups on its head, accruing more boosts in the process.

Breloom (M) @ Loaded Dice / Life Orb
Ability: Technician / Scrappy
Tera Type: Fighting / Steel / Ground
Adamant Nature
- Victory Dance
- Bullet Seed / Leaf Blade / Ice Spinner
- Mach Punch / Force Palm / Triple Arrows / Drain Punch / Close Combat
- Rock Tomb / Ice Spinner

A more all-out offensive set. Breloom is the strongest of the Victory Dance mons, and has access to a solid variety of moves from the other three. Your choice of tera and coverage options is really up to what your team needs, but I've listed here what I believe to be the most viable options.

Chesnaught (M) @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Fairy / Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Victory Dance
- Substitute
- Body Press / Drain Punch
- Ice Spinner

The bulkiest Victory Dance user, this set aims to accrue multiple boosts through Chesnaught's sheer bulk. Especially if you commit your tera, Chesnaught can become a rather difficult to stop win condition once it gets going. However, this set needs quite a bit of time to work, and can potentially struggle against more offensive Pokemon and matchups. Definitely seems quite dangerous against the right team though.

Next, I'm going to just dump a bunch of sets that I've been theorymonning. Whether it's a "new: Pokemon or an old Pokemon using new tools, I'll be posting about it in this dump.

Iron Treads @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground / Steel / Water
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Ice Spinner / Sucker Punch / Stone Edge

Iron Treads @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Probably not that game changing, but Iron Treads can converge with Dugtrio-Alola, giving it access to Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, and Sand Force, opening the door for various offensive sets. Booster Energy + Swords Dance seems pretty decent on paper, thanks to Iron Treads' solid attack, bulk, and speed making it a fearsome lategame cleaner. Sand Force is also an option, though with the current state of sand in the metagame, I'd maybe wait until we have more Sand Rush options before trying this/

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Tera Type: Fairy / Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest / Wish
- Sleep Talk / Protect
- Dark Pulse

This seems like a total pain in the ass to deal with. With Persian-Alola having access to Fur Coat, Umbreon becomes extremely difficult to break on the physical side, making it a prime candidate for being a Calm Mind cleaner. Honestly, Umbreon having access to Fur Coat might be too much for the tier as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see action done on Fur Coat when home comes out. Defensive sets are probably just as obnoxious, gaining Parting Shot, Knock Off, and U-turn among other moves.

Muk-Alola (M) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy / Flying / Water
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Between the three fully evolved Poison/Darks we'll have after home, I believe Muk-Alola has the best stat spread. It can help serve as a solid special blanket check, with access to Intimidate, Knock Off, and Toxic Spikes to provide a lot of utility for a team. I don't think this mon will make too big of an impact, but I find this set to be quite interesting, so I included it here.

Articuno @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Ice Spinner
- U-turn
- Drill Run

With access to Hustle and Drill Run from Delibird, Articuno might be an interesting wallbreaker in the post-Home meta. Hustle Brave Bird hits surprisingly hard, chunking Pokemon like physically defensive Torkoal and physically defensive Fluffy Polteageist for around 50% of their HP, which for a neutral hit is just nuts. The main weaknesses with this being its reliance on good prediction, 4x rock weakness, and need for good team support, but I think Banded Hustle Articuno could be really interesting.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Flying / Electric
Timid Nature
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Roost

This does what offensive Zapdos did last gen, but with slightly faster speed and slightly more power at the exchange of some bulk. Even with the removal of Damp Rock, Rain feels fairly slept on in the meta atm, and I expect this to be an interesting abuser.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Water / Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Despite transfer moves being axed, Zapdos can still get Defog thanks to Oricorio-Pom Pom, and now has access to Volt Absorb through Thundurus-T/Kilowattrel. It essentially does what it did last generation, just with the extra immunity, which is nice.

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Hurricane

If y'all thought Charizard was a menace under set, get a load of this. While it is slower than Charizard, it's a fair bit stronger, allowing it to put even more pressure on bulkier Pokemon and teams. Honestly Charizard might still be preferable due to its higher speed tier, but I can't resist the added power of Moltres.

Moltres-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Flamethrower

I'm honestly not sure what exactly to do with this thing rn. It gets so many more options from Convergence, between actually coverage from Iron Jugulis and Honchkrow, to a ton of utility from Bombirdier. Hell, even Prankster from Murkrow probably has some use here somewhere! This is less of a sample set (it seems pretty bad on paper) and more of a PSA on how Moltres-Galar just gets a crazy amount of tools now. I could even see this being problematic in the future.

Typhlosion (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

Typhlosion kind of gives me Chi-Yu vibes, except it's nowhere near as strong. That said, Typhlosion still looks to be a neat wallbreaker due to its access to Drought and Earth Power from Torkoal. There's a lot of potential for MonoFire converges, and while I don't think it'll make two big of an impact, it is nice to have another special wallbreaking option.

Typhlosion-Hisui (M) @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Unaware / Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power

This is also more of a proof-of-concept, but with access to Unaware, Typhlosion-Hisui looks to be a very interesting answer to Quiver Dance mons. Access to Torch Song is pretty neat, and gives Typhlosion-Hisui the potential to become a cleaner late game. Not amazing, but cool.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Poison
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Lumina Crash
- Nuzzle / Stealth Rock / (idk this mons gets a billion moves)

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam

This shit looks so annoying to deal with. A Pokemon with Cresselia's bulk, that cannot be stopped by Taunt, and has loads upon loads of utility does not sound okay. I can easily see this mon replacing Scream Tail on a lot of bulkier builds, and potentially making Trick Troom more than just a gimmick. This thing's bulk could potentially be too much for the tier to handle, especially since it not only has the moves to support that bulk, but the abilities to help prevent it from being taken advantage of. I haven't even mentioned the potential for setup sets either :x

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt / Encore
- Fire Blast

Alternative HO lead, now with Magic Bounce to prevent Taunts. This could also probably rock a decent offensive set with the expansive special movepool it now has access to, but I haven't explored that side of Azelf as of yet.

Inteleon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Inteleon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
Tera Type: Dragon / Fighting
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Water Pulse
- Dragon Pulse / Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

(I made these sets before Walking Wake was a thing). Inteleon has always struggled with a lack of a good ability and poor coverage options, and Convergence fixes both of those issues for it. I've chosen to focus on its wallbreaking sets here, but it can just as easily run setup sets as well with access to Nasty Plot and Calm Mind. Compared to Clawitzer, this thing is way faster and hits a bit harder, at the cost of being frailer. With these new tools in hand, Inteleon may finally have what it needs to shine in a metagame.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Ceaseless Edge
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Cutter

Greninja (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Dark / Fairy / Ghost
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Ceaseless Edge
- Knock Off
- Taunt

These sets are probably not all that great, but I just wanted to highlight how Greninja gets access to Sharpness, Ceaseless Edge, and Knock Off through Samurott-Hisui. I think it could make great use of the tools, but we'll need some testing to determine if it really makes that great of use of these moves. I believe that its speed tier is much more valuable than the extra power of Samurott-Hisui in this case, so I chose to highlight but a pivot set as well as a boosting set.

Chesnaught (M) @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- U-turn / Body Press
- Knock Off / Body Press

This Pokemon takes advantage of Breloom's access to Poison Heal in a more defensive way, function as a pivot. Chesnaught gets loads of utility in this format, with U-turn giving it a momentum option and Knock Off (both from Decidueye-Hisui) giving it a tool to annoy more passive Pokemon. I think this Pokemon has the potential to replace Gogoat on a lot of builds just due to its overall superior stats, especially if Quiver Dance gets banned. That being said, Grass/Fighting isn't the best defensive typing out there, so Gogoat may sitll have some use yet.

Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel / Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Bleakwind Storm

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Bleakwind Storm
- Heat Wave / Focus Blast
- Roost

Tornadus-T doesn't feel the effects of the removal of transfer moves harldly at all in this format, as although it still loses Knock Off, it gets to keep Defog and even gains access to Roost, both through Corvisquire. With Regenerator, this makes Tornadus-T potentially even sticker than it already is, making it a fantastic pivot and late game cleaner. Roost might be overkill on this mon, but it's nice to have the Defog option back.

Meloetta @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Stored Power
- Tera Blast

Figured I'd mention this briefly since I'm a fan of Farigiraf, and this is just a better version of that. Trades some bulk for more speed and power, not that this thing is particularly frail to begin with. Not game changing, but a cool set nonetheless.

Delphox (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Grass / Fire
Modest Nature
- Endure
- Armor Cannon
- Psychic
- Energy Ball / Nasty Plot

Armarouge, but trades some power for much more speed. Probably not worth it, considering Armarouge isn't really that great to begin with, but I'd figure I'd drop a mention.

Rillaboom @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Horn Leech

This is Gogoat, but it trades some special bulk for for a better speed tier and some attack. This thing actually has pretty solid Physical bulk, making it a decent replacement to Gogoat if you're running that PhysDef. Gogoat is the better SpDef mon still though.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Roost

This probably replaces Quaquaval (unless you're running that SpDef) due to its higher Attack and Speed, and Tauros-Paldea-Aqua due to its higher overall bulk. Most of us are probably pretty familiar with what those mons do in this format, and Urshifu-Rapid Strike will pull that off to a slightly better effect due to its overall higher stats.

Zarude @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Zarude sits in a weird spot for the Grass/Darks for me. It's actually quite comparable to Brute Bonnet imo, with a similar bulk profile, and attack stats. The one big difference Zarude has is its base 105 speed stat, making it an excellent pivot. Spikes and Knock Off provide a lot of punishment for opposing teams, and with Tablets of Ruin, Zarude is capable of stomaching Physical hits for days. Sets with less speed and more defensive investment are probably viable too. I'm not sure if the speed advantage alone is enough to make Zarude completely replace Brute Bonnet, but it does give it some competition as a bulky Grass/Dark.

Haxorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Tera Type: Dragon
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

I don't think anything bar Fairies really wants to take a Dragon's Maw Tera Dragon Outrage from this beast. This thing has the potential for some disgusting damage output. The prevelance of Scream Tail and Tera Fairy mons will probably keep it in check however.

Glastrier @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Recover
- Ice Spinner
- Earthquake

This thing gets the quite the glow up in Convergence. It very much misses some of the moves it lost from Sword and Shield, but with Convergence not only giving it a wide Physical movepool, but access to Recover, Rapid Spin, Thick Fat, and other options, Glastrier can become a pretty tricky Pokemon to deal with, especially when tera is thrown into the equation. Recover is especially cool for Glastrier, as it gets some much needed longevity that, in combination with Swords Dance, can make it an excellent tool for longer games.

Sneasler (M) @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Dire Claw
- Sucker Punch / Earthquake

Honestly, Sneasler doesn't really get that much from this format, but I just wanted to highlight both this Pokemon as well as Dire Claw. Starting with Dire Claw, this move seems to be really strong, not only spreading status very reliably but also having the potential to break sleep clause. This move is pretty uncompetitive imo and probably deserving of a quick ban. As for Sneasler itself, this mon is quite strong, and with access to Swords Dance and Unburden, can become a terrifying sweeper and cleaner. It notably gets Earthquake coverage from Toxicroak, allowing to hit other Poison-types for supereffective damage. This mon seems really scary on paper.

Before I close with the two new mons, I'd like to briefly give a shot to some of the unique type combo mons coming in home that I think could make a splash in the metagame. Though these Pokemon don't gain anything from the format, :Arcanine-Hisui: :Slowking-Galar: :Heatran: :Zoroark-Hisui: :Landorus-Therian: (unique because Landorus-I is banned) :Hoopa-Unbound: :Volcanion: :Kleavor: :Ursaluna: :Enamorus: :Enamorus-Therian: will all probably have an effect on the meta in some way. Whether it's through their unique type combos, or other traits such as exclusive moves, I think all of these Pokemon could be very interesting in Convergence despite their unique typing.

Finally, I'll talk about the two new mons we got with the most recent update of Scarlet and Violet.

Right now, Iron Leaves doesn't converge with anything. When Pokemon Home comes out, it'll be able to converge with base Calyrex, but outside of some super niche moves like Encore and Trick, it doesn't really get anything from Calyrex. I think Iron Leaves could be a decent option on Electric Terrain teams due to its speed tier and interesting type combination, but I don't find it to be a particularly compelling option in the metagame at the moment. The much more interesting Pokemon is...

(:tatsugiri:)
Walking Wake converges with Tatsugiri, and while Tatsugiri doesn't provide too many interesting moves to Walking Wake, it provides what could be one of its most sought after moves in Nasty Plot. Thanks to Nasty Plot, Walking Wake has the ability to punish switchins and faster Pokemon extremely effectively, turning it into a very scary wallbreaker. Booster Energy sets seem quite interesting on this Pokemon, as it's easily capable of getting a speed boost without sacrificing much power. Walking Wake also gets access to some more fringe options like Storm Drain, Rapid Spin, Icy Wind, and Memento, but ultimate I think Nasty Plot is going to make this thing a dangerously strong Pokemon. Too early to tell if it's banworthy yet imo, but definitely scary on paper.

And with that, I can finally put my mind to rest on this post. I spent far more time on this than any one person should lol

Last edited:
Had a lot of fun playing this meta this past month. Here is the most successful version of my stall team, which topped off within the top 15 on the ladder (this was before Walking Wake was added)

:Garganacl::Iron Moth::Scream Tail::Ting Lu::Gogoat::Skeledirge:

The main reflections I want to note concern Gogoat and Skeledirge.

:Skeledirge:
First I must emphasize what others have noted in that while Skeledirge doesn't use anything new, it is phenomenal and should not be ignored in forgotten. There are just so many threats in this format that this thing stops: Iron Hands, Paldean Tauros, Ursaring, Scizor (blocks its Rapid Spin too), Dragonite, several Slither Wing sets, the rare Wigglytuff. Special shoutout for neutering Copperajah Shed Tail strategies, with Torch Song either destroying Copperajah before the pass happens, or bypassing Substitute if it already has.

:Gogoat:
I don't think my second main point has been noted before, and that is that I found Tera Ghost to be by far the superior option for Gogoat. Once its Toxic Orb has been safely activated, Ghost Gogoat is simply the perfect switch-in to Garganacl. Poison Heal neutralizes the Salt Cure damage, it doesn't care about Knock Off, Horn Leech deals respectable damage, immune to Body Press, and it can set Spikes in Garg's face without Garg being able to spin them away. If anything else ever takes over Gogoat's role (Chesnaught, Rillaboom, or whatever) I think Tera Ghost should always be considered as long as Garganacl is a major presence.

I ended up using my Tera on Gogoat or Dirge in the majority of my games, followed by Tera Water on Ting Lu, as this team is very weak to Rain teams, with Water Ting Lu being my main defense against Gyarados and Barraskewda. This is also the reason I have Tera Water on Iron Moth, to fight Vaporeon, although this was always a last resort.

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 4.02.22 PM.png

Before I close with the two new mons, I'd like to briefly give a shot to some of the unique type combo mons coming in home that I think could make a splash in the metagame. Though these Pokemon don't gain anything from the format, :Arcanine-Hisui: :Slowking-Galar: will all probably have an effect on the meta in some way. Whether it's through their unique type combos, or other traits such as exclusive moves, I think all of these Pokemon could be very interesting in Convergence despite their unique typing.
Slowking and arcanine get stuff from coalossel and slowbro galar respectively. Also forgot cresselia has access to regenerator via the lil galaren slowpoke. (Also pirouette convergences via its base form, diance convergences from carbink and enam convergences from its other form)

https://pokepast.es/ec56a851ce3a5bea

Last edited:
Slowking and arcanine get stuff from coalossel and slowbro galar respectively. Also forgot cresselia has access to regenerator via the lil galaren slowpoke.

https://pokepast.es/ec56a851ce3a5bea
Yeah that was one thing I forgot, I also forgot that Hisuian Electrode also converges with Rotom-Mow, giving it access to Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, Hex, and some other options. It's still not that great of a Pokemon, but 150 base speed, access to Nasty Plot, and having actual coverage thanks to its Grass-typing could be pretty decent. Here's a set I made for it:

Electrode-Hisui @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fire / Ice
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball / Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast

Just a pretty standard Nasty Plot set, differentiated from other Plot mons thanks to its high speed off the rip. Should Quiver Dance get banned, this looks like a pretty fun mon.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Greetings everyone. Sorry for our delay on this post, as this was due to come out on the 27th, but I underwent some pretty major events that day and had to postpone. But here we are now. Firstly, I'd like to regrettably announce the departure of both KaenSoul and kennukem from our council positions. They both served excellently and helped guide our fledgling metagame into the beast of a title it became. Cheers to both of them and I wish them the best. Secondly, we will be discussing the Tiering Survey we did. Thank you to the 20 respondents for taking the time to fill out this survey.

We asked everyone how do they feel about how enjoyable they found the metagame.
20230223_152427.jpg

An overwhelming majority of respondents thought that Convergence was an enjoyable experience, which is excellent, as I always wanted to make sure that everyone had a lot of fun exploring and playing my metagame.

20230223_152442.jpg

Here we asked how competitive people felt about Convergence, and while majority still won,a very sizable portion (40%) were very in the middle. This tells me that we have room to improve our competitiveness in the future.

20230223_152500.jpg

We asked how our audience felt about the presence of Terastilization in our metagame, and 80% of respondents said they currently did not find it a pressing issue. Still, 20% isn't something to scoff at,and thus whenever Convergence becomes playable again, we will revisit this issue.

20230223_152515.jpg

The big one. We asked how people felt about the metagame's most notorious wallbreaker and sweeper, and the results did not lie. 60% of respondents had shown support in some way for action to be taken on Iron Hands, with 20% wanting immediate action. While it is far too late for a suspect test even at the initial conclusion of the survey, much less now, we believe that Iron Hands was such an overwhelming presence that the council elected to make one final vote before OMotM ended, and it was unanimously decided that Iron Hands will be quickbanned from Convergence.

20230223_152531.jpg

Chien Pao was also up for discussion, and it was very divisive to say the least. 25% supported some form of action to be done, while another 25% claimed they had absolutely no issues regarding it's presence in the tier. The majority felt 50/50 on the matter, not showing explicit support but not being against that idea either. This we will be keeping observation on as well.

20230223_152547.jpg

Quite perhaps the most polarizing of all the votable options here, Garganacl has somehow garnered a somewhat reasonable amount of votes from near all factions. Ultimately 40% are against it's ban, while 30% are in support of it. Another 30% feel indifferent to it's presence. With the departure of iron Hands and the arrival of three new threats in Zoroark-Hisui, Iron Leaves and especially Walking Wake, we will determine just how splashable this Pokémon can continue to be.

20230223_152632.jpg

Shed Tail, as you can see, has a 50% call for action against it. It makes sense, as Shed Tail was used to bolster the power of all of the metagame's most dangerous sweeper like Dragonite, Tauros and most recently Iron Hands and allow them to wreck the tier even more efficiently than ever before. However, outside of these prominent sweepers, Shed Tail has not seen much use, and the users of the move still have drawbacks that Cyclizar did not have to suffer through to work. Since we already decided on banning Iron Hands, we decided to wait and see how the metagame develops in the absence of this Pokémon. Bare in mind, this was done prior to the release of WW, Z-H and IL, so their additions may strengthen or weaken the arguments for it's ban.

20230223_152605.jpg

A near complete opposite to the other move out on the chopping block, 65% of the respondents did not want action taken on Population Bomb, with 50% saying they had zero issues with it's presence. However, the majority of these responses happened prior to pokeaim posting his videos involving the sweeping potential of ursaring under TR, and Coil Eviolite sets have been shown to top the ladder at some point. With the exit of the bane of most Normal types existence in Iron Hands though, we might see opinions on this move change, so keep an eye out for it in the near future. .

Some other noteworthy elements that did not their own poll such as Quiver Dance and Protean, received lots of discussion, and people ultimately came to the conclusion that these may be powerful tools, they are currently not necessarily too strong to warrant action to be taken on them.

While OMoTM is over, you can still send challenge codes for the metagame, and discussion on how the very recent changes can and should be done to show how they develop our metagame. I am very glad that many people still talk about Convergence, and I am glad I made an idea that brought as much enjoyment as it did. Hopefully I will see everyone soon!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:sv/decidueye:
Decidueye @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wind Rider
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Spikes / U-turn / Giga Drain

Take the concept of UU Brambleghast and apply it to the statline of Decidueye. Decide is a very decent spinner considering spinblockers very rarely want to try and switch in on it. This set takes advantage of it's very decent special bulk that allows it to check some of the notable special breakers, like Vaporeon. In the grand scheme of things Decidueye will probably be a more mediocre pick, but being able to review whenever we get a new Pokémon is always fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)