Counter This Pokemon [OLD VERSION]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've got another one. Didn't expect this guy did ya?

Cobalion@Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Nature: Impish
252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe

~Close Combat
~Hidden Power Ice
~Thunder Wave
~Roar

Cloyster can't touch Cobalion with anything but Razor Shell, and even at +2, Razor Shell is only a 3HKO AT BEST. +2 Razor Shell does 32.52-37.56% which has a mere 8.7% chance of scoring a 3HKO. Meanwhile, Cobalion can cripple with T-Wave, Roar it out, or use HP Ice and then Close Combat for the KO (using Hidden Power first prevents getting hurt more because of the defense drop of Close Combat). No matter how you look at it, Cobalion comes out on top. Not to mention that it quadruple resists Stealth Rock.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That is a terrible Cloyster set, no wonder so many counters have been posted. Try using Hydro Pump, Life Orb and insisting on Rain conditions and watch the counters dwindle.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lee is right; LO and Hydro Pump would erase a few counters, but probably just like 3-4, since most counters here resist water, and don't rely on natural defense to take the hit. Besides, I posted this one with Razor Shell because I have seen it on more teams than with Hydro Pump. And no, there is no rain, to prevent Rain-reliant counters such as Specs Kingdra.

My favorite counter to cloyster is choice scarf starmie. It is one of the few pokemon that can outspeed cloyster after a shell smash and then kill it with thunderbolt.

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 Speed
Adamant Nature
Moves:
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

Scizor can take Cloyster's attacks well. Scizor naturally has a good Defense stat, so EVs in Defense aren't even needed, although investments in HP are to take +2 boosted attacks. Scizor resists Icicle Spear and Rock Blast and Razor Shell does pretty poor damage to it unboosted. Scizor, on the other hand, is guaranteed to 2HKO Cloyster with Brick Break. If Cloyster uses Shell Smash and Scizor is switched in, Scizor takes any +2 attack without being OHKO'ed and uses Brick Break and then proceeds to finish it off with Bullet Punch. Here are the calculations of Cloyster's attacks vs Scizor:

Icicle Spear: 23.9 - 28.27%
Razor Shell: 29.15 - 34.4%
Rock Blast: 110-130 (32.06 - 37.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 Icicle Spear: 48.1 - 56.55%
+2 Razor Shell: 57.72 - 68.22%
+2 Rock Blast: 220-259 (64.13 - 75.51%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense
Bold Nature
Moves:
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

If unboosted on the switch:
Cloyster's attacks do pathetic damage. Cresselia can proceed to use Psychic for the 2HKO and Cloyster can't really do anything about it. Here are the calculations:

Razor Shell: 14.18 - 16.89%
Rock Blast: 15.76 - 18.69%
Icicle Spear: 105-124 (23.64 - 27.92%) -- possible 4HKO after Stealth Rock

If boosted on the switch:
Cresselia will take some unwanted damage from Icicle Spear, but can Thunder Wave Cloyster the same turn without being OHKO'd. Cresselia can then proceed to Moonlight the damage off and hopefully get the paralysis. Next, Cresselia just uses Psychic for the 2HKO. Overall, Cresselia is a pretty good counter. Calculations:

Razor Shell: 28.37 - 33.33%
Rock Blast: 31.53 - 37.16%
Icicle Spear: 210-247 (47.29 - 55.63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah guys, please be more careful with your posts. Make sure your ideas make sense before you write a misinformed paragraph. Shining Latios, have you done the calcs for Scizor @ Life Orb instead of choice Band?

Yeah guys, please be more careful with your posts. Make sure your ideas make sense before you write a misinformed paragraph. Shining Latios, have you done the calcs for Scizor @ Life Orb instead of choice Band?
Yeah, I edited my post. Scizor needs HP EVs to take the hits better. Sorry about that again.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you Electrolyte for your fine specimen in Focus Sash Cloyster. Next is a Pokemon who likes to come in and ruin the party of predictable boosting sweepers. Choice Scarf has been one of the meta-game defining items since its inception in DPP, and this Pokemon, with its great natural Speed and huge offense, uses it to its full advantage. Think you have match won when your +1 DD Mence is ready to started mowing down your opponent's team? Just kidding, Terrakion is here to revenge kill you. Next up at bat is Scarf Terrakion!

Weather: Sand
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf

Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor
-Earthquake

Terrakion usually needs just two attacks to get a win condition, with two others to cover ... well, hardly anything else. Come at him!

Just to reiterate some ground rules, remember that Stealth Rock is down on your side of the field. Pay attention to the weather, too.

((Mods if you would be so kind as to hide tag within the double parentheses for cloyster, it would be much appreciated. I'm on mobile and i spent a lot of time on making this section but it is a little late I guess, burn previous sentence after reading. (Haha I was just thinking how badly Arghonaut would make this set his bitch. Moving on...

Cloyster Stuff

Icicle Spear: (32-37%)
Rock Blast: (21-25%)
Razor Shell: (38- 44%)

Game Plan: Toxic first turn to break sash and cripple if Cloyster switches out, Psychic will bring the easy OHKO second turn. Bronzong doesn't love taking Razor Shells but with some wish support he'll be allllllllll righhhhht.))

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Psychic
- Toxic

Terrakion response

EDIT: Yay it's my first time being ninja'd. Well shoot, Bronzong doesn't do too badly against Terrakion either, let's see...

Close Combat is the only real way to hurt him, as Stone Edge is resisted and EQ is dodged, whole X-Scissor is weak and unstabbed. Close Combat will be doing 38-44%, which Bronzong can stomach and retaliate with Psychic after the Defense drops, for an easy OHKO. Luckily, Bronzong resists SR on the switch in and is immune to sandstorm. Que bellisima! (see what I did there Spanish speakers)

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Being scarfed, Terrakion doesn't pack much power. It's great for revenge kills, but not that hard to counter, after all. Let's start with...

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Nature: Impish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang / Facade
- Protect

Stone Edge is the best move Terrakion has to damage Gliscor, and it's a 4HKO after SR, without Protect factored in. Gliscor can easily set up on Terrakion and proceed to destroy it with Earthquake. It can even Protect-stall a bit to regain some health back. SubToxic version works too, and is probably even more annoying cause it can, with some luck, come out with an intact Sub and proceed to wreak havoc with the rest of Terrakion's team.

Next one is a bit shakier, but not as obvious as Gliscor, at least:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

CM Reuniclus is bulky enough to switch into everything Terrakion can throw at him. X-scissors only deal 35.37 - 41.98%, which is not even a guaranteed 3HKO. Reuniclus can proceed to stall Terrakion, recovering HP and boosting up with CM: it only needs 1 CM under its belt to guarantee the KO with Psyshock. The only thing Reuniclus fears is a X-scissors crit, but excluding that, it's a full stop for Terrakion.

There's probably a lot more, Skarmory comes to mind as well as bulky Lando-T, but I don't want to steal all sets for myself. Have fun!

Is there a calculator that shows the effect of Intimidate? I regularly use Lando-T to come in and Intimidate Terrakion and then KO with EQ but Honko's doesnt seem to have the functionality.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Levitate
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD
-Thunder Wave
-Psychic
-Reflect
-Moonlight

Standard support Cresselia takes laughable damage from all of Terrakion's attacks, even X-Scissor is only managing a 4HKO:

357 Atk vs 372 Def & 444 HP (80 Base Power): 112 - 132 (25.23% - 29.73%)

Then Cresselia can paralyze Terrakion making it useless for the rest of the match or can wear it down with Psychic. Its also worth noting that Moonlight will still be able to heal off all X-Scissor damage even in sand if you choose to do that.

Golurk @ Choice Band
Iron Fist
Adamant
208 HP/252 Atk/48 Spe
-Earthquake
-Shadow Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Stone Edge

Golurk switches into any of Terrakion's attacks safely, being immune to Close Combat and resistant to Stone Edge and X-Scissor. Terrakion's strongest attack against Golurk is Earthquake which is only a 3HKO

357 Atk vs 196 Def & 371 HP (100 Base Power): 131 - 155 (35.31% - 41.78%)

Golurk easily OHKOs Terrakion with its banded STAB Earthquake.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Is there a calculator that shows the effect of Intimidate? I regularly use Lando-T to come in and Intimidate Terrakion and then KO with EQ but Honko's doesnt seem to have the functionality.
>_>
You can just set Terrakion's Attack boost to -1

edit: oh nevermind, i'm talking about 4000 not 3000

I wonder why nobody mentioned Ferrothorn as a counter of Cloyster.

Here I have, the little troll and more useful if WoW's accuracy didn't suck.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Prankster
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd

- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
. Night Shade/Foul Play

Stone Edge: 46,38%-54,6%

The set talks by itself, once Terrakion is burnt, the musketeer cannot do anything but dying while Sableye recovers.
Even Sableye can attempt to Recover in front of Terrakion stalling the 8 PP of Stone Edge with Recover and not risking a miss from WoW, even if Terrakion doesn't miss any Stone Edge, Sableye will stall it successfully if Terrakion doesn't do max damage all the time which is almost impossible(Stone Edge has a 10% rate of CH however, couting its shaky 80 % accuracy, but 20% to miss)

The Evs let Sableye to check better physical threats since its defensive stats and HP suck, worth of mention the ability of to check better Donphan, which is very common and even Sandslash.
An annoyance to a lot of walls too.
Also it is a pain to stall teams which lack Espeon/Xatu specially with hazard support.

Sableye standard CM set which is in the web is the same if it has WoW(Dark Pulse is now legal due to the BW2 Tutors)

The standard set of Sableye with 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Sp Def Calm is 58,55%-69,07%, Sableye relies on damage rolls to have a chance against it.

I was going to post Sandslash when I realized that isn't capable of outspeeding Terrakion with Sand Rush boost even Jolly.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
I wonder why nobody mentioned Ferrothorn as a counter of Cloyster.
It's always 2HKOed at +2 (which matters here because Cloyster has Sash). Sure Ferro can Thunder Wave but Cloyster has no real reason to switch out, and taking out a stumbling block like Ferrothorn is always nice. It would even be allowed one fully paralyzed.

Why, oh why did you choose SCARF Terrakion? I mean when I saw Terrakion I thought "oh here we have a challenge!" but then you go and make it scarfed :( now I can think of like 5 counters off the top of my head....

We'll go with the first one I thought of first though.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

X-Scissor, Terrakion's best option, is a 3HKO at best which means Slack off will heal all damage done. Not that Slowbro needs to sit by and take it though, with two options to choose from to take Terrakion out. Psyshock is the preferred option in sand and is a guaranteed 2HKO. Outside of Sand Scald is the better choice, with the burn chance potentially neutering Terrakion or whatever decides to switch in since Terrakion isn't likely to stay in on Slowbro.

I'd post more but I'm out of time! More later if no one else beats me to it.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've got a few counters with me:
I can't believe nobody said this one:

Scizor @ Choice Band
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
~Bullet Punch
~U-turn
~Superpower
~Pursuit

Scizor lives a Close Combat, and OHKO's back Bullet Punch. That's really all there's to it; the rest of Terrakion's attacks do jack shit and the same applies to Scizor. For an added bonus, Scizor even has a pretty high chance to live after 3 layers of spikes and stealth rock. About a 88% chance.

252 Atk Close Combat: 56-67% to 248 / 0 Scizor
252 Atk Stone Edge: 46-58% to 248 / 0 Scizor
252 Atk X-Scissor: 13-15% to 248 / 0 Scizor

252+ Atk Bullet Punch: 145-171%

Another one:

Mew @ Leftovers
252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
~Psychic
~Taunt
~WiloWisp
~Softboiled

Mew tanks all of Terrakion's attacks, taking about 1/3 of its health from X-Scissor. Mew has a lot of options at its disposal- it can all out attack with Psychic, scoring a 2HKO while X-Scissor fails to 3HKO after Leftovers, or it can burn stall with Softboiled and then go for the kill. The only thing you have to worry about is WoW missing or the opponent hitting a crit.

252 Atk X-Scissor to 252 / 224+ Mew: 32-38%
252 Atk Close Combat to 252 / 224+ Mew: 18-21%
252 Atk Stone Edge to 252 / 224+ Mew: 30-35%

Burned 252 Atk X-Scissor to 252 / 224+ Mew: 16-19%
Burned 252 Atk Stone Edge to 252 / 224+ Mew: 15-18%
Burned 252 Atk Close Combat to 252 / 224+ Mew: not worth knowing

0 SpA Psychic to 0 HP Terrakion: 65-78%

It's always 2HKOed at +2 (which matters here because Cloyster has Sash). Sure Ferro can Thunder Wave but Cloyster has no real reason to switch out, and taking out a stumbling block like Ferrothorn is always nice. It would even be allowed one fully paralyzed.
I didn't do calcs, but Ferrothorn is a typical "counter" to Cloyster(sure not with non broken Sash) and an annoyance when I was using it, nice to know it, though.

Nidoqueen@ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. D
- Stealth Rock/ Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Can easily come in on any move but Earthquake and proceed to either set up hazards or deal severe damage with Earth Power.

EDIT: this next one is actually a lot better:

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Calm
28 HP, 252 Def, 228 Sp. D
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard

Can easily come in even on X-scissor (does about 38% max) and take it out with Counter. This set actually does very well against almost all scarfers.

Damn I wanted to do Golurk :(
Also dammit Azumarill does 95% max with Aqua Jet

Deoxys-D - Leftovers
Pressure - Bold
252 HP 56 Def 200 SpD
Toxic
Taunt
Night Shade
Recover

252 Atk Terrakion X-Scissor vs 252 HP/56 Def Deoxys-D (+Def) : 33.55% - 39.47%
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs 252 HP/56 Def Deoxys-D (+Def) : 30.92% - 36.84%
252 Atk Terrakion Quick Attack vs 252 HP/56 Def Deoxys-D (+Def) : 8.55% - 10.2%

Night Shade: 30.96%

Sorry it's the best I could find, it does win if you don't get critted but it's better at scaring Terrakion away than it is at taking it out altogether, considering that Psycho Boost does 51% minimum with 0 investment under Sandstorm

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

I'm surprised no has mentioned Skarmory. While Skarmory is not a hard counter to Terrakion in general (few are), it certainly can counter Scarf Terrakion. It's also much more viable in the OU metagame than pokemon like Cresselia, Golurk, or Nidoqueen because it walls other physical threats like Landorus and Scizor. Close Combat is Terrakion's best option against Skarmory, and it's a 3HKO. Skarmory can easily stall it out with Roosts, set up Spikes, or KO it with Brave Birds. It's overall a great switch into Scarf Terrakion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)