Cramming for VGC

Introduction

This year I will be attending VGC for the first time. Unfortunately however, the location I am planning to compete at (Dallas) will be holding its competition on May 29, meaning I have a little over a month to prepare for a metagame that I have zero experience with.

Uh oh.

Looking on the bright side, I've been told that doubles is relatively easy to get into, especially considering I've had some success with other types of battling. Just to prepare more, I've decided to attempt to build a VGC team and post it in the RMT section for more suggestions.

Team Details

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 Spe
Nature: Quiet
- Blizzard
- Protect
- Grass Knot
- Ice Shard
---
Summary: Abomasnow is unique for its ability to set up hail instantly. This rids foes of their Focus Sashes and allows Blizzard to attain 100% accuracy. It is also useful for canceling out my opponents' weather.

Moveset: Blizzard is obligatory, hitting off of 120 BP with STAB and for 100% accuracy in hail. Protect is also needed for double battling, as it allows me to scout for attacks that would otherwise KO me and avoid Explosion. Grass Knot is STAB and hits Kyogre and Groudon hard, two Pokemon that I will be expected to be commonly used in VGC. Ice Shard is used to finish off weakened opponents and to get in a bit of damage if I know I'm going to get KO'd.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Quiet Nature with a 0 Speed IV to ensure hail gets set up. Max HP/ Max SpA allows me to remain bulky while still hitting as hard as possible. Focus Sash lets me survive a hit from the many attacks that would otherwise KO me.

Palkia @ Haban Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Blizzard
- Protect
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast
---
Summary: Palkia plays the role of a powerful sweeper in the 2010 VGC. Its Base 150 SpA and Base 100 Spe, along with a varied movepool, allow it to present a significant threat.

Moveset: Blizzard takes advantage of the hail set up by Abomasnow, hitting hard and with perfect accuracy. Protect shields Palkia from the many attacks that will be aimed at it. Spacial Rend, Palkia's signature move, is a powerful STAB attack that will be an important method of attacking. Fire Blast provides Steel coverage, as well as hitting annoying Shedinjas.

EVs, Nature, and Item: A Timid nature increases Palkia's Speed, which is necessary for effective sweeping. The EVs maximize its attacking ability. Haban Berry protects Palkia from its only weakness, Dragon.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Water Spout
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Ancientpower
---
Summary: Kyogre will be one of the most threatening and commonly used Pokemon at this year's VGC. Due to Water Spout, a STAB 150 BP move, it can overwhelm many opponents through sheer force.

Moveset: Water Spout is Kyogre's most powerful move, and is made only more dangerous in the rain that it sets up. Its primary use will be to clean up late game. Thunder has 100% accuracy in the rain, and adds to Kyogre's move coverage. Ice Beam rounds out the coverage by providing a means to hit Dragon types with. AncientPower hits Rayquaza and enemy Abomasnow hard, and was put in because I was paranoid about having only one Pokemon that could deal with Shedinja.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Using a Modest nature takes full advantage of Kyogre's Base 150 SpA, taking this stat to a maximum of 438. The EVs given are to maximize its damage-dealing potential, while still retaining maximum speed. Choice Scarf is used to outspeed enemies and sweep opponents later in the match.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
---
Summary: Ludicolo is an ideal partner for Kyogre; its Swift Swim ability allows it to take full advantage of the rain, doubling its Speed stat.

Moveset: Fake Out is used first to flinch opponents. Protect helps to scout enemy attacks and Explosions. Grass Knot is for STAB and hitting opponents that take heavy damage from it, such as Groudon and Kyogre. Ice Beam rounds out Ludicolo's coverage and hits Dragon-types for super effective damage.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max HP / Max SpA for increased bulk and maximum attacking ability. I left out the Speed EVs because Swift Swim should be enough by itself. Leftovers gives Ludicolo a means of recovery, extending its longevity. Modest nature for highest possible Special Attack.

Conclusion

Thanks to everyone who read through my first Doubles RMT. Hopefully it's not too obvious that this is my first VGC team; I also welcome constructive criticism.

"Be Brutal" ~ Yes Please!!

It looks like you did cram.

A few pointers:

- Throw in a slow-slow Smeargle for sleep.

- Remember you will see many Selfdestruct Mewtwo.

- Kingdra outpaces Palkia in the rain.

- I hope you have a Plan for Garchomp.

Looks like a solid team but a scarfvoid smearegle would possibly be checkmate on this team. I am not sure whether people will be using them as much as last year given the advent of so much more options, it just seems a scarfvoider would be a waste of team space. But nonetheless, its something thats been common and its something that you should consider, so perhaps using a lum/chesto berry on your Palkia.

I would suggest scarf on palkia rather than Orge but I like your idea of lategame sweeping with scarforge.

Also, please take into consideration the Seldestruct Mewtwo + Icy wind Giratina which would probably also cause problems on your leads.

PUT SURF ON THAT LUDICOLO!!! Trust me! It will always score you a lot of unexpected KO's. Also, I can't see this team going very far to be honest. Kyogre + Ludicolo make an excellent combination. Palkia is a wonderful Pokemon, but I don't know if Abomasnow will give your team the extra support that it needs. Good luck though!

It doesn't have to be original, it has to be good =/

It looks like you are trying to do too many things at once. If Kyogre and Abomasnow are out together, things will get rough.

I aslo do not advise having Choice scarf Kyogre. With permanent weather, the slower pokemon keeps the weather and there will be many lvl 49 Groudon running around and with a Choice Scarf you are pretty garunteed not to have rain out.

I'm not trying to be mean or insulting, but tbh, your team is very unoriginal
Originality won't win you the VGC and a trip to Hawaii. If you are paranoid about Shedinja, possibly toxic over Ancient Power on Kyogre. Shedinja always hold Focus Sash, and a Toxic hit will take Shedinja down at the end of a turn in one hit.

Also question Fire Blast on Palkia, as it becomes very weak in rain. You could either run Earth Power or Aura Sphere. Personally I would run Earth Power just for Metagross

Apart from that a very standard and effective team

GL

It doesn't have to be original, it has to be good =/

It looks like you are trying to do too many things at once. If Kyogre and Abomasnow are out together, things will get rough.

I aslo do not advise having Choice scarf Kyogre. With permanent weather, the slower pokemon keeps the weather and there will be many lvl 49 Groudon running around and with a Choice Scarf you are pretty garunteed not to have rain out.
Worse still are the PP issues that come with using choice items. God forbid you're locked into Water Spout, you have no pokemon left to switch with, and you're up against something that resists water (like Ludicolo or Palkia). If your opponent gets a good hit on it, Kyogre will likely end up struggling before it can take out any of the opponent's pokemon. Same thing with Ancientpower (kind of), you can kill Shedinja in two hits, but then what?
Try to avoid using Choice Scarf entirely if you can, especially on something that's coming in late in the game when you're unable to switch.

Also it's fine if your team isn't original as long as it works well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)