Cresselia [QC 5/3] [GP 2/2]

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>The metagame of Doubles is vastly different from Singles, and no Pokemon attests to this fact more then Cresselia. A forgotten relic of a long gone age in Singles, Cresselia absolutely shines in this metagame, often known as the "queen of Doubles." Possessing absolutely insane 120 / 120 / 130 bulk, a typing that is rather okay defensively, a useful immunity to Earthquake, and a large supporting movepool more robust than a Swiss Army knife, Cresselia is the ultimate supporter in Doubles, able to both reliably and consistently do her job under almost any circumstance. While she is weak to a few top tier threats such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, it is hard to call Cresselia anything other then the best Pokemon in the tier, and she should always be considered if you need a support Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Speed Control
move 1: Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Helping Hand
move 4: Rest / Protect
item : Chesto Berry / Sitrus Berry
nature: Calm
evs: 240 HP / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 216 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Useful at any stage in the game, this Cresselia set aims to gain control of the enemy's Speed as well as possibly bolster the power of your team's attacks. Icy Wind and Thunder Wave are the best choices for the primary move, and they both have their upsides and downsides. Icy Wind lowers the Speed of both enemies at once and deals decent damage to Pokemon weak to Ice-type attacks, but it also raises the Attack of Defiant Pokemon by two stages, does not work on Clear Body Pokemon, and is reset by the enemy switching out. Thunder Wave has a slightly greater effect and lasts for the duration of the match until healed, but it does not work on Ground-type Pokemon and can only affect one target at once. Psyshock is the main attacking move, and it's recommended due to targeting the opponent's Defense, a stat not as commonly boosted in Doubles as Special Defense. Helping Hand is the recommended option the third slot for boosting the power of Cresselia's partner. Finally, while Rest is used in the third slot to help Cresselia survive as long as possible, Protect can be used to avoid attacks such as Crunch and stall for time against field effects such as Trick Room and Tailwind.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>For items, if you are using Rest, use a Chesto Berry to instantly wake Cresselia up. Otherwise, use a Sitrus Berry so that she lives longer. The EVs are set up to 2HKO Hariyama, Virizion, and Hitmontop with Psyshock and avoid being OHKOed by Dark Gem Tyranitar's Crunch, with the rest of the EVs shoved into Special Defense and HP to maximize bulk.</p>

<p>This Cresselia set works on pretty much any team in existence, but it is especially good as a partner for Pokemon such as Breloom and Kyurem-B who really appreciate being able to get the jump on their enemies. Heatran deserves a special mention, as not only does it threaten Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-type Pokemon (such as Darkrai, Volcarona, and Bisharp) which give Cresselia a hard time, but it can also fully take advantage of Cresselia's speed control as well as Helping Hand.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 4: Protect / Safeguard
item : Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cresselia and Trick Room work extremely well together; Cresselia has the bulk to reliably set up Trick Room and the movepool to be useful for more then just this, and she really appreciates partners that can defeat her foes for her due to being incapable of utilizing Trick Room herself. Quite possibly the most useful and consistent Trick Room setter in existence, Cresselia should be considered for any Trick Room Team, as it is really hard to pass up her bulk and movepool.</p>

<p>Trick Room is used because, well, obviously this is a Trick Room set—it would be quite difficult to set up Trick Room without having Trick Room. In the second slot Psyshock is recommended due to targeting the opponent's Defense, a stat not as commonly boosted in Doubles as Special Defense. In the third slot, Helping Hand is generally preferred to boost the power of Cresselia's partner. Finally, Protect is used in the last slot to help Cresselia survive for as long as possible to keep setting up Trick Room. Safeguard is also an option if you are concerned about burns and paralysis, two things that Trick Room teams loathe.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Mental Herb is the item of choice if you wish for Cresselia to avoid Taunt once; otherwise, Sitrus Berry allows Cresselia to stay around for significantly longer. The EVs are set so Cresselia can avoid being 2HKOed by Tyranitar's Crunch and otherwise focus on increasing her bulk as much as possible. While a Sassy nature is recommended, it is viable to go with a Relaxed nature if your team requires more Defense.</p>

<p>Ideal partners for this set, first and foremost, are Fake Out users, such as Hitmontop and Scrafty, and Rage Powder and Follow Me users such as Jirachi and Amoonguss, all of which greatly assist Cresselia in setting up Trick Room. Once Trick Room is up, slow, bulky, and powerful Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Heatran, Tyrantiar, Rypherior, and Escavalier all make for excellent partners, as they can fully take advantage of Trick Room.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Icy Wind / Ice Beam
move 4: Helping Hand / Protect / Trick Room
item : Expert Belt / Psychic Gem
nature: Modest
evs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 112 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set might seem confusing, but Cresselia is actually a very useful attacker, able to deal a shocking amount of damage in conjunction with the great bulk she has. Psyshock is the main attacking move, which is recommended due to targeting the opponent's Defense, a stat not as commonly boosted in Doubles as Special Defense. Hidden Power Fire is used to target Pokemon such as Scizor, Bisharp, and Ferrothorn that are expecting the supporting sets, which cannot do much to them. Icy Wind is the preferred option in the third slot, as it is still reasonably powerful against Pokemon weak to Ice-type attacks and also allows your team to control the speed of a match, but Ice Beam is also an option for significantly more power. Finally, while Helping Hand is the preferred option in the final slot to boost the power of Cresselia's partner if need be, Protect and Trick Room are also viable alternatives depending on if you need Cresselia to live longer or if you are using her on a Trick Room team, respectively. If you are, remember to use Ice Beam over Icy Wind.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt is used to bluff a defensive set as well as still provide reasonable levels of power and not damage Cresselia with recoil. Psychic Gem allows Cresselia to bluff one of its other sets as well and also enables her to OHKO max HP Hitmontop with Psyshock. While the EVs might seem a bit odd, 112 Speed EVs enables Cresselia to outpace Timid Latios after a single Icy Wind—if you are using Ice Beam and/or Trick Room, make sure to reassign the EVs to HP and give Cresselia a Quiet nature.</p>

<p>Ideal partners for this set include Pokemon that can beat those that wall Cresselia. Ground-types such as Excadrill, Landorus, Landorus-T, and Garchomp can not only can murder Tyranitar and Steel-types that give Cresselia headaches but also don't have to worry about hitting her with Earthquake thanks to Levitate. Fighting-types such as Hitmontop, Blaziken, and Scrafty also work wonders in this regard; with the exception of Scrafty they must watch out for Psychic-type Pokemon, which Cresselia cannot touch.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Given Cresselia's amazing movepool, it is only natural that the she would have a plethora of other options. Leftovers is an option over Sitrus Berry if you foresee Cresilla commonly living for more than four turns. Psychic is always an option for a little more power against Defense-heavy Pokemon. A Calm Mind set is viable, but it must beware critical hits, status conditions, Taunt, and strong physical Dark-type attacks. Sunny Day is always an option, as it beats Swift Swim and Sand Rush Pokemon and pairs nicely with Heatran, a common partner with Cresselia. Psycho Shift with a Burn Orb is an interesting option that allows Cresselia to spread burns, something she otherwise cannot reliably do. Lunar Dance is a great option for certain teams, as it can give certain key Pokemon a second lease on life. Gravity is a somewhat powerful field effect in Doubles, but it leaves Cresselia open to Ground-type attacks. Some Pokemon such as Heatran appreciate having Levitate, so Skill Swap is always an option, one that can sometimes be used against the opponent as well, such as to remove Storm Drain from Gastrodon. Magic Coat is an option to reflect moves that Cresselia does not enjoy taking such as Taunt and Toxic. Finally, Swagger can be used with a Lum Berry carrying teammate to give it +2 Attack or as a risky gambit against the opponent in order to confuse them.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Cresselia is mighty, she is not unstoppable. First and foremost, Cresselia really doesn't like Fake Out, as it can stop Trick Room, crucial Icy Winds, and all sorts of important support moves. Tying in with this, Cresselia absolutely loathes Taunt, as the move can shut down a lot of her support options. Trick Room and Calm Mind Cresselia both dislike Roar, as it will both erase Calm Mind boosts and phaze Cresselia before she can use Trick Room due to its higher priority. Powerful Dark-types such as Tyranitar and Bisharp are also deadly, with Bisharp being especially such due to gaining +2 Attack every time Cresselia uses Icy Wind against it. Chandelure can deal large chunks of damage to Cresselia with STAB Shadow Ball, while the absolute best Cresselia can do in return is Psyshock. Hydreigon can 2HKO or 3HKO most of Cresselia's sets with Dark Pulse, but it must watch out for the Speed drop from Icy Wind, which will absolutely cripple it until it switches out. Volcarona threatens Cresselia heavily with its STAB Bug Buzz and can even use Quiver Dance to raise its power and give Cresselia even more of a hard time. Genesect's +1 U-turn can seriously damage Cresselia, but it fails to make a significant impact otherwise. Heracross's Megahorn coming off of a Guts boost can also do major damage. Escavalier fears only Hidden Power Fire but avoids being OHKOed by it and deals intense damage with Megahorn. Finally, Scizor only fears Hidden Power Fire from the offensive set, and it threatens Cresselia with its high-power STAB Technician-boosted Bug Bite.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
slash psyshock on all mentions of psychic, it helps kill hitmontop which is annoying af
mention skill swap in OO
maybe talk about some good teammates anyway? (hitmontop for fake out support, etc)
otherwise looks p. good, I prolly missed something though

QC Approved 1/3

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
  • Edit the title so it says Cresselia lol Also please do not use italics for the whole post.
  • Name: /me cresseilas ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ This is NOT VGC. Use another name, like "Support".
  • Move screens to AC and slash Moonlight instead. While a screen has its merits, you will often find yourself unable to use it and using them without Light Clay is often not worth the turn. Since battles last longer here than they do in VGC, the merit of short screens is much lower and less important. Instead, mention a possible double screens support set in that set's AC.
  • Safeguard over Reflect in second's set slash.
  • mention which teammates deal with its counters, mainly Hitmontop, Scrafty.
  • Other Options here is going to be huge. Do NOT forget Skill Swap. Mention the merits and disadvantages of each option and speak about its huge 4MSS.
  • Mention in OO too the possibility to use it on a dedicated sun team with Moonlight and Sunny Day.
After that, I'd like Eggy and Pocket to weigh in before getting the 2nd check for write up.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think a better EV spread is 252 HP / 44 SpA / 212 SpD with Psyshock slashed over Psychic. Not only does Psyshock let you hit things like Amoonguss harder since they're usually specially defensive, the given spread nets a 2HKO on Hitmontop, Hariyama and Virizion guaranteed, which is pretty nice since it makes it a much better Fighting check while still being very bulky. Also, I think that Helping Hand should be in spot #3 on the first set and Protect should be slashed 2nd behind Rest. Main reasons for this are that Cresselia's main functions are to be supporting the team, so if it's busy protecting it's not doing anything. Also, Cresselia is already very bulky, and it can tank enough hits that Protect is rarely needed for it to effectively use its job. Something like Helping Hand is much more useful to help net additional KOs for the opponent. When it is low on health, Rest is often enough for it to last for most of the match (unless it's bein forced to tank strong SE hits from Scizor or Tyranitar or something).

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Always Psyshock > Psychic
If you don't have Offensive Cresselia as a main set it should at least be an other option, ( it should be a main set )
Swagger as a OO
Ice Beam > Protect on the 2nd set
Mention Teammate, Intimidate users to help deal with Ttar / Scizor / Lando Ect on the Trickroom and supporting set
Mention Good trick room attackers that Cress can help
Magic coat as a OO

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I disagree, Eggy.

I think Offensive Cress should be the second set, considering the main reason Cresselia is so good in doubles is it's humoungous supportive movepool. And then do everything else that Eggy said :]

I agree with Eggy & Joim that Expert Belt Offensive Cresselia should be one of the sets up there. It is good at scoring KOs, and can also run Trick Room to act as an offensive Trick Room setter. I'd say to add that for my stamp, but Joim (or Eggy) will obviously beat me, so.

i think the offensive set should be more like

[Set]
Name: Offensive
Move 1: Psyshock / Psychic
Move 2: Hidden Power Fire
Move 3: Icy Wind / Ice Beam
Move 4: Trick Room / Helping Hand / Something
Item : Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpD / 112 Spe

offensive cress isn't so much as grabbing ko's as it is setting up ko's for other pokemon. the speed evs outspeed latios after an icy wind, which is important for grabbing more damage on it and anything else below that benchmark. i think psychic gem is worth a mention with psychic because it ohko's 252 hp hitmontop with no prior damage (psyshock too, but not 100%), though its probably an ac thing.

i'd like to see at least 20 defense evs on the other sets to garuntee survival against a ttar's dark gem crunch and 0 attack (or 2 for hidden power) to minimize confusion/foul play damage. without sitrus, i'd probably put in 68 def evs to live a turn of sand as well as the crunch.

e: also its actually 120/120/130 bulk :)

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ctrl + F Sunny Day = fail ;o

Sunny Day deserves an OO mention, as it fucks over Rain (and Exca Sand), and pairs nicely with Heatran, a common partner to Cresselia.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Sunny Day is an essentiel part of countering rain and sand for goodstuff teams (Sun is usually the least dangerous weather to be in as well as supporting Heatran extremely well.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I didn't catch anything when reading, good work Nyttyn this is ready for GP

Edit: Audisurfer posted when i was reading. (BAN ME PLEASE)

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You do not need the ability columns, since Cresselia only learns Levitate.

Speed Control

Your main set should look like this:

item: Chesto Berry / Sitrus Berry

As Audiosurfer said, Cresselia's main role is to support its team - HH is pretty much a staple.

Notice that I dropped Psychic slash - I'd simply drop all Psychic mention to OO, since Psyshock is almost always the preferred option

AC mention that Cresselia may even forego Rest / Protect for additional utility move - such as having both Icy Wind AND Thunder Wave, Skill Swap, Reflect / Light Screen, or Sunny Day.

Heatran deserves a teammate shout out for appreciating Cresselia's speed control while dealing with nasty Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-types that can pierce through Cresselia's thick hide (Genesect, Scizor, Chandelure, Bisharp, Volcarona, Darkrai). Also add Hitmontop and Scrafty like Joim, suggested, since they both can deal with Tyranitar and Darkrai. Hitmontop deals with Scizor, while Scrafty has the special bulk to combat Chandelure and Hydreigon.

Trick Room

Just like the previous set, Helping Hand is a staple imo. Safeguard should be slashed before Protect.

Offer TR Sweeper examples that particularly pairs well with Cresselia. This will make a good segway to Swagger + Lum Physical TR Sweeper, such as Lum Metagross.

Offensive

This is a set where you want to expand on why one would want to use Cresselia with considerably less bulk for one that actually packs a punch. What sort of team benefits from this set as opposed to the other previous two supporter sets?

AC mention Psychic Gem for a chance to OHKO max HP Hitmontop with Psyshock.

Other Options

Add Leftovers here, since Cresselia often lasts more than four turns to make Leftovers more useful than Sitrus Berry

Add that Swagger pairs well with Lum Berry Physical Sweeper teammate to boost your Pokemon's offense.

Honestly, I'd remove all the Psychic slash on these sets and drop the move to OO

Checks and Counters

Good stuff. I'd add Genesect, Hydreigon, and Heracross to the list here, though.

Nice Overview - like the style.

I know Audiosurfer already gave you the stamp, but please implement all these changes before GP checks.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
Quick update: I'm trying to think of other ideal team mates to add to cress, but cress just synergizes with so much shit and is useful for so many pokemon that I cannot think of any real stand-out examples. Still dwelling on it, would be helpful if anyone could chime in with any "perfect" partners they can think of for any of the cress sets.

Pocket

For EB Offensive Cresselia, you can almost treat is as an offensive Pokemon, so you would want teammates that break Pokemon that wall Cresselia. Ground-types like Garchomp / Excadrill / Landorus(-T) for example are all great for removing Tyranitar, Bisharp, Heatran that can tank multiple hits from this Cresselia, while Cresselia is immune to their EQs. Fighting-types like Hitmontop, Blaziken, and Scrafty / Conkeldurr (with TR) work, too.

For Trick Room Cresselia, it would appreciate teammates that would facilitate Trick Room to go up. Fake Out Support from Hitmontop / Scrafty or Follow Me / Rage Powder from the likes of Amoonguss, for instance. Trick Room sweepers like Conkeldurr, ErupTran, Tyranitar, Rhyperior, and Escavalier are all worth noting.

Last edited:

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
All changes have been made in addition to relevant partners being lsted. I apologize for the delay.

Pocket

Thanks, nyttyn, for making the revisions.

You still left out a few remarks that I posted here

- the row for ability in your sets is unnecessary, since Cresselia only has one ability
- remove all mentions of Psychic from set comments and move it to OO
- add Hitmontop and Scrafty as teammates like Joim, suggested, since they both can deal with Tyranitar and Darkrai. Hitmontop deals with Scizor, while Scrafty has the special bulk to combat Chandelure and Hydreigon.
- no explanation on Psychic Gem in the Offensive set, despite you slashing the item
- add Hydreigon under Checks and Counters

Ground- types such as Excadrill, Landorus(-T), and Garchomp, can not only murder Rock- and Steel- types that give Cressila headaches, but Cressila also avoids the downside of Earthquake via Levitate.
Rock-types is misleading, but that could mean Terrakion, which Cresselia has little problem. Replace Rock-type with Tyranitar.

tbh, I feel Sunny Day & Skill Swap are both fairly underrated, I think they should be slashed on the Standard set ("Speed Control"), especially Sunny Day, which makes Cresselia a great Rain check.

Pocket

I think Sunny Day and Skill Swap is okay in OO - they can work in both Speed Control and TR set, so rather than mentioning these options twice, just mention them in OO. Add onto your Skill Swap description that it pairs well with an Intimidate user, Weather Summoner, or Pokemon weak to Ground-types (which you alluded to with Heatran).

Otherwise, your Cresselia's analysis is now complete; you may pass this through GP :D

QC Approved (5/3)

GP check. Good job on writing this.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple
[OVERVIEW] [Overview]

<p>The metagame of Doubles is vastly different from Singles - (change to comma) and no one Pokemon attests to this fact more then Cressila. A forgotten relic of a long gone age in Singles, Cressila absolutely shines in this metagame, often known as the "queen of Doubles." Possessing absolutely insane 120 / 120 / 130 bulk, a typing that is rather okay defensively, a useful immunity to a common spread move Earthquake, and a large supporting movepool larger and more robust then than a swiss army Swiss Army knife, Cressila is the ultimate supporter in Doubles, able to both reliably and consistently do her job under almost any circumstance. While weak to a few top tier threats like such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, it is hard to call Cressila anything other then the best Pokemon in the tier, and she should always be considered if you need a support Pokemon.</p>

[SET]

name: Speed Control
item : Chesto Berry / Sitrus Berry
nature: Calm
EVs: evs 240 HP / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 216 SpD
IVs: ivs: 0 Attack Atk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Obviously, the first thing that comes to mind is a support set for Cressila. Useful at any stage in the game, this Cressila set aims to gain control of the enemy's speed as well as possibly bolster the power of your team's attacks. Icy Wind or and Thunder Wave is are the best choices for the primary move, and both have their upsides and downsides. Icy Wind lowers the speed Speed of both enemies at once and deals decent damage to Ice weak Pokemon, but it also raises the attack Attack of Defiant Pokemon by two stages, does not work on Clear Body Pokemon, and is reset by the enemy switching out. Thunder Wave has a slightly greater effect, (remove comma) and lasts for the duration of the match until healed, but it does not work on Ground-type Pokemon and can only affect one target at once. Psyshock is the main attacking move, recommended due to targeting Defense, a stat not as commonly boosted in Doubles as Special Defense. (fix the rest of this paragraph frmo here to the end to reflect new move order) Protect is used in the third slot to help Cressila survive as long as possible and stall for time against field effects such as Trick Room and Tailwind. Finally, while Helping Hand is the recommended option for boosting the power of Cressila's partner, Rest is also an option to keep the lunar swan duck her alive as long as possible.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>For items, if you are using Rest, use a Chesto Berry to instantly wake Cressila up. Otherwise, use a Sitrus Berry to live sho she lives longer. The EVs are set up to 2HKO Hariyama, Virizion, and Hitmontop with Psyshock, (remove comma) and avoid being OHKO'd OHKOed by Dark Gem Tyranitar's Crunch, with the rest of the EVs shoved into Special Defense and HP to maximize bulk.</p>

<p>This Cressila set works on pretty much any team in existence, but it is especially good as a partner for Pokemon (add comma) such as Breloom and Kyurem-B, who that really appreciate being able to get the jump on their enemies. Heatran deserves a particular special mention, as not only does it threaten Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-type pokemon Pokemon (such as Darkrai, Volcarona, and Bisharp) (add comma) which give Cressila a hard time, but it can also fully abuse take advantage of Cressila's speed control as well as Helping Hand.</p>
(remove one of the two blank lines here)

[SET]

name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 4: Protect / Safeguard
item : Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb
nature: Sassy
EVs: evs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe / 0 Atk ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cressila and Trick Room go along together extremely well - (change to semicolon) Cressila has the bulk to reliably set up Trick Room, (remove comma) and the movepool to be useful for more then just setting up Trick Room this, and she really appreciates partners that can defeat her foes for her(could you clarify this last bit here? Right now it seems a bit out of place with the rest of the sentence being about why Cresselia is so good at using Trick Room) . Quite possibly the most useful and consistent Trick Room setter in existence, Cressila should be considered for any TR Team Trick Room team, as it is really hard to pass up on (either remove up or remove on) her bulk and movepool.</p>

<p>Trick Room is used because, well, obviously this is a Trick Room set - (change to emdash and remove spaces on either side) it would be quite difficult to set up Trick Room without having Trick Room. In the second slot you can should generally use Psyshock, which is recommended due to targeting Defense, a stat not as commonly boosted in Doubles as Special Defense. In the third slot, Helping Hand is generally preferred to boost the power of Cressila's partner, but Safeguard is also an option if you are concerned about Burns and Paralyze - two things that Trick Room teams loathe. Finally, Protect is used in the last slot to help Cressila survive for as long as possible to keep setting up Trick Room. Rest Safeguard is also an option to replace the third or fourth move, but is not recommended due to Cressila rarely having a free turn to use Rest on if you are concerned about burns and paralysis, two things that Trick Room teams loathe.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Mental Herb is the item of choice if you wish for Cressila to avoid Taunt once - (change to semicolon) otherwise, Sitrus Berry will allow allows Cressila to stay around for significantly longer. The EVs are set so as to avoid Cresselia being 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Tyranitar's Crunch, (remove comma) and otherwise focused focus on increasing Cressila's her bulk as much as possible. While a Sassy nature is recommended, it is possible viable to go for with a Relaxed nature if your team requires more Defense.</p>

<p>Ideal partners for this set, first and foremost, are Fake Out abusers users such as Hitmontop and Scrafty and Rage Powder/Follow Me abusers users such as Jirachi and Amoonguss, all of which greatly assist Cressila in setting up Trick Room. Once Trick Room is up, slow, bulky, powerful pokemon Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Heatran, Tryantiar Tyranitar, Rypherior, and Escalavier Escavalier all make for excellent partners, as they can fully abuse take advantage of Trick Room.</p>

[SET]

name: Offensive
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Icy Wind / Ice Beam
move 4: Helping Hand / Protect / Trick Room
item : Expert Belt / Psychic Gem
nature: Modest
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 112 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
(add blank line)
<p>This set might confuse some people, but Cressila is actually a very useful attacker, able to deal a shocking amount of damage in conjunction with the great bulk it she has. Psyshock is the main attacking move, recommended due to targeting Defense, a stat not as commonly boosted in Doubles as Special Defense. Hidden Power Fire is used to target pokemon Pokemon such as Scizor, Bisharp, and Ferrothorn who that are expecting the supporting sets, which cannot do terribly much to them. Icy Wind is the preferred option in the third slot, as it is still reasonably powerful to against Ice weak pokemon while also allowing Pokemon and also allows your team to control the speed of a match, but Ice Beam is also an option for significantly more power. Finally, while Helping Hand is the preferred option in the final slot to boost the power of Cressila's partner if need be, Protect and Trick Room are also viable alternatives depending on if you need Cressila to live longer, (remove comma) or if you are using it with her on a Trick Room team. If you are, remember to use Ice Beam over Icy Wind.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item Expert Belt is used to bluff a defensive set, (remove comma) as well as still provide reasonable levels of power and not damage Cressila with recoil. Psychic Gem allows Cresselia to bluff one of its other sets as well and also enables her to OHKO max HP Hitmontop with Psyshock. (you can phrase this differently but the explanation needs to be there) While the EVs may might seem a bit odd, 112 Speed will outspeed enables Cresselia to outpace Timid Latios after a single Icy Wind - (change to emdash and remove spaces around it) if you are using Ice Beam and/or Trick Room, make sure to reassign the EVs to HP and give Cressila a Quiet nature.</p>

<p>Ideal partners for this set include pokemon Pokemon that can beat those that wall Cressila. Ground- types (add comma here or remove it after Garchomp) such as Excadrill, Landorus(-T) Landorus, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, can not only can murder Tyranitar and Steel- types that give Cressila headaches, (remove comma) but Cressila also avoids the downside of don't have to worry about hitting her with Earthquake via thanks to Levitate. Fighting- types Fighting-types such as Hitmontop, Blaziken, and Scrafty also work wonders in this regard, though with the exception of Scrafty they much must watch out for Psychic- type pokemon Psychic-type Pokemon, which Cressila cannot touch.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS] [Other Options]

<p>Given Cressila's amazing movepool, it is only natural that the lunar swan duck she would have a plethora of other options. Leftovers is an option over Sitrus Berry, (remove comma) if you foresee Cresilla commonly living for more then four turns. Psychic is always a ab option for a little more power against Defense-heavy Pokemon. A Calm Mind set is possible viable, but it must beware critical hits, freezes, burns, toxic, taunt Taunt, and strong physical Dark-type attacks. Sunny Day is always an option, as it beats Swift Swim and Sand Rush pokemon Pokemon, (remove comma) and pairs nicely with Heatran, a common partner to Cresselia. Psycho Shift + Burn Orb is an interesting option, (remove comma) which that allows Cressila to spread Burns - burns, something it she otherwise cannot reliably do. Lunar Dance is a great option for certain teams, as it can give certain key mons Pokemon a second lease on life. Gravity is a somewhat powerful field effect in Doubles, but leaves Cressila open to Ground-type attacks. Some pokemon Pokemon such as Hetran Heatran appreciate having Levitate, so Skill Swap is always an option - (change to comma) one that can sometimes be used against the opponent as well, such as using it to remove Storm Drain from Gastrodon. Magic Coat is an option to reflect moves that Cressila does not enjoy taking such as Taunt or and Toxic. Finally, Swagger can be used with a Lum berry Berry carrying teammate for +2 attack to give it +2 Attack, (remove comma) or secondarily as a risky gambit against the opponent in order to confuse them.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS] [Checks and Counters]

<p>While the lunar space duck Cresselia is mighty, she is not unstoppable. First and foremost, Cressila really doesn't like Fake Out, as it can stop Trick Room, crucial Icy Winds, and all sorts of bad stuff important support moves. Tying in with this, Cressila absolutely loathes Taunt, as the move can shut down a lot of her support options. Trick Room and Calm Mind Cressila both dislike Roar, as Roar it will both erase Calm Mind boosts and phaze Cressila before it can use Trick Room due to its higher priority. Powerful Dark- types like such as Tyranitar and Bisharp are also deadly, with Bisharp being especially deadly such due to gaining +2 Attack every time Cressila uses Icy Wind. Chandelure can deal large chunks of damage to Cressila with STAB Shadow Ball, while the absolute best Cressila can do in return is Psyshock. Hydriegon can 3HKO/2HKO 2HKO or 3HKO most sets of Cressila of Cresselia's sets with Dark Pulse, but it must watch out for the speed drop by Speed drop from Icy Wind, which will absolutely cripple Hydreigon ir until it switches out. Volcarona threatens Cressila heavily with its STAB Bug Buzz, (remove comma) and can even use Quiver Dance to raise its power and give Cressila her even more of a hard time, with Cressila only able to drop its speed. Genesect's +1 U-turn can seriously damage Cressila, but it fails to make a significant impact otherwise. Heracross's Megahorn coming off of a Guts boost can also do major damage. Escalavier Escavalier fears almost Hidden Power Fire, (remoev comma) but avoids being OHKO'd OHKOed by it, (remove comma) and deals intense damage with Megahorn. Finally, Scizor only fears Hidden Power Fire from the Offensive offensive set, (remove comma) and threatens Cressila with its high-power STAB Technician-boosted Bug Bite.</p>

GP: 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)