Serious Crimean war (Russia seizing Ukraine). Discussion and thoughts?

What do you believe the outcome will be?

• Total voters
And would you look at that, most of the Crimean people want to be apart of Russia anyway.
Yeah, another reason it was a shrewd move from Putin.

Although it has been reported that large numbers of Ukrainian and Tartar citizens boycotted the referendum, the majority of people in Crimea are ethnic Russians that wanted to be rejoined with Russia anyway.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Crimea has been a historical part of Russia anyway (unless you count pre-1793), they only became part of Ukraine after Kruschev gave it to Ukraine as a gift, which at the time was insignificant since they were practically the same country anyway.

Most of them want to move to russia anyway, I supoose it would make life easier if Crimea was to become apart of Russia again.

Oh well, Putin may be booted out of the G8 over this ugly mess anyway.

View attachment 10213

Recently, Ukraine has expressed an interest in associating with the western part of the world. Since then it was offered a spot in the European Council, so the would essentially leave the Soviet Union and become part of Europe. Ukraine, being composed of both Ukrainian and Russian citizens fairly evenly, was faced with a decision. This decision has quickly turned into a dilemma, as Russia has since sent many military units into the Ukraine and seized control.

The European Union is threatening Russia with sanctions, however this would be dangerous for both parties as Russia is Europe's main source of oil, a factor that every country in the world is dependent on, especially an area so large and populated such as all of Europe. It is causing many political complications and no one is quite sure what the outcome will be, simply that Ukraine will most likely be thrown into chaos for at least several years.

The rest of G8 (Group of 8, composed of the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, the United States of America, Canada, and Russia) treated this as an act of Russia breaking international law, and has since threatened to revoke it's position in G8 (like a club within the United Nations exclusive to countries with the highest GDP, which essentially means the countries worth the most money). Russia has since offered no response or explanation and INCREASED levels of violence and military control within Ukraine. A vast rebellion has arisen within the country, and it is now on the brink of a second civil war. The second Crimean war.

So far over 200 Ukraine citizens have lost their lives to the Russian military in their efforts to stop any and all protestors. The Crimean Peninsula now belongs to Russia, which Ukraine and the rest of the west are outraged about since they strongly suspect it was due to Crimean politicians' votes being completely false, and forced to vote that Crimea join Russia by the local Russian military. Russia is, of course denying this, as anyone in their right mind would. As of yet there's no proof of anything so it could be completely legitimate, it might not be, who knows. That's what the threads here for, discussion!

View attachment 10214
Rebels in Ukraine

Some are calling this the beginning of World War III due to the international level of this dispute and the level of severity it has grown to, others are saying it is the start of an international revolution, the list goes on and on. What will happen is no ones guess, no matter how major or minor. But what can be counted on for sure is whether it's one of the aforementioned or not that takes place, the outcome will be very interesting, and there's no doubt that many things will change on the international scale.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this topic? Discussion time!

P.S. If I left anything out or forgot something, my bad. Let me know about it, this is a very large and important topic concerning the entire globe so I won't be surprised if I missed something or made a mistake. Thank you!
(I'm doing this on my iPod, so please excuse any grammatical errors you see in this post.)
First of all, the G8 is NOT a club of countries with the 8 highest GDPs. If that was true, there would be no way in hell Canada would be in it. If it WAS a group of the highest GDPs, China, India, (Going by GDP PPP, since economists agree it is a better measure of economy.) and Brazil would be on it. Rather, it is a group of countries with the highest GDP per capita, so basically highest living standards.

On the subject of the crisis itself, I'm going to show you something Garry Kasparov said on the crisis in the Ukraine:

, Putin isn't playing Chess, he's playing Poker. He's got a weak hand but he knows how to raise the stakes
And he knows how to bluff. And it's time to call his bluff.'

"(The West's response) is better than nothing, but in my view, it isn't enough and it's late."

" Don't impose sanctions on 140 million Russians, pick out 140 oligarchs. Because you cannot have rational arguements with Putin. He's dictator for life... But every dictator needs his allies, his cronies, his henchmen, and they are vulnerable."

(I'm doing this on my iPod, so please excuse any grammatical errors you see in this post.)
First of all, the G8 is NOT a club of countries with the 8 highest GDPs. If that was true, there would be no way in hell Canada would be in it. If it WAS a group of the highest GDPs, China, India, (Going by GDP PPP, since economists agree it is a better measure of economy.) and Brazil would be on it. Rather, it is a group of countries with the highest GDP per capita, so basically highest living standards.

On the subject of the crisis itself, I'm going to show you something Garry Kasparov said on the crisis in the Ukraine:

, Putin isn't playing Chess, he's playing Poker. He's got a weak hand but he knows how to raise the stakes

"(The West's response) is better than nothing, but in my view, it isn't enough and it's late."

" Don't impose sanctions on 140 million Russians, pick out 140 oligarchs. Because you cannot have rational arguements with Putin. He's dictator for life... But every dictator needs his allies, his cronies, his henchmen, and they are vulnerable."
Putin has a weak hand? Poker? This is politics. Politics is never luck, or any form of gambling. It's a science. Putin is very powerful so I'd personally hardly say he has a 'weak hand'. Russia is one of the strongest and most dangerous countries in the world.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Putin has a weak hand? Poker? This is politics. Politics is never luck, or any form of gambling. It's a science. Putin is very powerful so I'd personally hardly say he has a 'weak hand'. Russia is one of the strongest and most dangerous countries in the world.
Nah, politics contains a lot of elements of gambling, especially insofar as gauging the reactions of other countries. A good example would be China going out of its way to avoid offending either side, where Russia would have probably preferred for them to back them up in the UN votes.

A more important example would be how far Europe takes their sanctions. In contrast to the US, they have much more economic power to take away from Russia, but conversely are more dependent on Russia. If everyone bails out and Russia's failing ruble/economy keeps dropping, then Putin lost. If Russia can shrug off the sanctions and geopolitical backlashes and hold onto the territory, then he's "won".

Nah, politics contains a lot of elements of gambling, especially insofar as gauging the reactions of other countries. A good example would be China going out of its way to avoid offending either side, where Russia would have probably preferred for them to back them up in the UN votes.

A more important example would be how far Europe takes their sanctions. In contrast to the US, they have much more economic power to take away from Russia, but conversely are more dependent on Russia. If everyone bails out and Russia's failing ruble/economy keeps dropping, then Putin lost. If Russia can shrug off the sanctions and geopolitical backlashes and hold onto the territory, then he's "won".
I wouldn't call a failing economy and distrust among his own people winning. The problem is, the U. S. is supporting a Neo-Nazi country over a dictator. Do we really want to join in on this? I would think Germany would be against this, since the swastika is banned there. Is the EU thinking this over? It's almost like they want Putin to win. He has a good hand, which he can win with if his opponents play exactly the same as they have in the past. If they change one little thing, he is doomed. The U. S. can impose all the sanctions it wants. Putin won't obey nor listen to their demands. This is a lose/lose situation for us; either side with the Neo-Nazis or let the Russians do what they want. Which is more dangerous?

It's the 21st century with some 20th century thinking.

Putin was in the KGB. He first hand witnesses the decay and destruction of the Soviet Union. Today, he's trying to show the world that Russia is a global player, and that it can function as a 3rd-Age state. Alas, he's not understanding that if he wants to be a world leader, he needs to find the perfect balance of authority and restraint. His Authoritarian approach gives him power, but blinds him to the fact that it's not just Russia and the world; It's Russia in the world.

I could get into the main leader leader of the Crimean militia, Sergei Aksynov, but that's a story for another day. If you're interested in seeing who's Putin's greatest ally, look at the guy who's third from the left and looking down.

(source: http://time.com/19097/putin-crimea-russia-ukraine-aksyonov/)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Won't be a WW3, because the US (read: Europe's only military force with power projection) isn't going to get involved in any military conflict.

Putin is going to use the next three years to get whatever he wants.
He was, after all, promised more flexibility after our illustrious president was re-elected.

My prediction: Russia starts with Crimea, then starts agitating in whatever place Putin determines is Russia's next most valuable geopolitical resource that can be obtained with minimal resistance. The platitudinous 21st century idea that a functioning nation-state is about economic ties and global competition is going to crash head first into the notion which dominates all of human history: National power is about owned territory and the resources it brings.

It will do Europe good to see "Pax Americana" suspended for a few years.
But only if Americans can get our shit together and make sure we can bring it back, in case Europe doesn't realize that we really are gone.

Won't be a WW3, because the US (read: Europe's only military force with power projection) isn't going to get involved in any military conflict.

Putin is going to use the next three years to get whatever he wants.
He was, after all, promised more flexibility after our illustrious president was re-elected.

My prediction: Russia starts with Crimea, then starts agitating in whatever place Putin determines is Russia's next most valuable geopolitical resource that can be obtained with minimal resistance. The platitudinous 21st century idea that a functioning nation-state is about economic ties and global competition is going to crash head first into the notion which dominates all of human history: National power is about owned territory and the resources it brings.

It will do Europe good to see "Pax Americana" suspended for a few years.
But only if Americans can get our shit together and make sure we can bring it back, in case Europe doesn't realize that we really are gone.
National power is all about the military, no economic ties, and high taxes. The thing is, Russia is trying to cut back on their current economic ties by agitating the EU, reducing their trade to keep their people thinking in a small box that they built. Romania, Turkey, Poland, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, and Denmark will all be affected by the Russian Expansion for Economic Depression Plan. Europe could be in danger when they make the sanctions, doing exactly what Russia wants.

Also I would like to point out... What do you mean there's no way in hell Canada would be on it? It has the 11th best GDP in the world, and has massive amounts of natural resources of all kinds, especially oil, lumber, and water. In fact Canada controls the most fresh water in the world, which is becoming a more important thing every year, and in the near future will become vital. Canada is a developed country and one of the wealthiest in the world, with the eighth highest per capita income globally, and the eleventh highest ranking in GDP. It ranks among the highest in international measurements of education, government transparency, civil liberties, quality of life, and economic freedom. Canada's participation in economic international and intergovernmental institutions or groupings includes the G8 (Group of Eight), the Group of Ten (economic), the Group of Twenty (G-20 major economies), the North American Free Trade Agreement and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum. So as you can see, while I may have gone slightly overboard, Canada is a much, much bigger deal than most people give it credit for, with the only thing missing being military power. However that's what it relies on the United States for, just as the US depends upon Canada for natural resources in extremely large quantities to sustain the huge population of North America, and all it's industrial activity.

It's the 21st century with some 20th century thinking.

Putin was in the KGB. He first hand witnesses the decay and destruction of the Soviet Union. Today, he's trying to show the world that Russia is a global player, and that it can function as a 3rd-Age state.
I agree with this. I can't help but think that Putin's long-term goal is to reclaim some of the territory (and glory) that Russia lost with the decay of the Soviet Union.

EDIT:

Putin's speech to the Kremlin can be found here. Very interesting to read and good annotations from Bridget Kendall.

Also worth noting that Ukraine have now ordered the withdrawal of their military from Crimea, citing threats from Russian forces as the reason. This is the next step in the theory that Russia will absorb Crimea regardless of international disapproval, sanctions, etc.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I find the 'historically a part/territory of country' to be the most douchiest/overriding argument ever made. This the reason most wars/invasions in the civilized world have happened.

It isn't a part of your country now and that's all you need to know. And even if a vocal minority (heck, even a majority) vociferously demands your intervention by pleading to history, you grow the fuck up and say it's a diplomatic matter and mayby try to lobby for their cause, but you absolutely DO NOT BRING THE FUCKING MILITARY IN IT and march in wherever you wish. There is SOME sanctity to international laws and charters. This dumbass history argument doesn't make China marching into Tibet and Russia marching into Ukraine any more justifiable. The sad part is that it's immensely popular with the home crowd so there isn't any internal dissent for the said asshole govt. to deal with it.

And about that farce of a referendum. Even if I were an anti-russian crimean I'd vote the safest option anyways (or stay the fuck away) just to get it fucking done with. Do realize these people have been living under a cloud of violent protests and possible civil outbreak and Russian sabotage for very long now. So it's either this or a strife ridden scenario for the forseeable future.

Last edited:
Here's a good profile of Vladimir Putin.

Also, Soul Fly as you pointed out, although the referendum was a sham the result would most likely have been the same even if it was carried out in a way that abided by international law. It is due to the historical ties between Crimea and Russia that Russia was able to succeed in this land grab.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This dumbass history argument doesn't make China marching into Tibet and Russia marching into Ukraine any more justifiable
Actually, the Chinese marching into Tibet only happened after the Tibetans started an armed uprising that was funded by the CIA through the Dalai Lama. Before accusing me of being a CPC mouthpiece, you can read up on declassified CIA documents about how the CIA actually funded the Tibetan uprising (Wikipedia's a good start), kind of like what they've done in Ukraine (also not disputable, see the Victoria Nuland leaks).

It isn't a part of your country now and that's all you need to know. And even if a vocal minority (heck, even a majority) vociferously demands your intervention by pleading to history, you grow the fuck up and say it's a diplomatic matter and mayby try to lobby for their cause, but you absolutely DO NOT BRING THE FUCKING MILITARY IN IT and march in wherever you wish.
As far as things that are proven, Russia did not march any new troops into Ukraine, they used the troops that were already in Crimea as part of their lease with Ukraine (that's supposed to last until 2042). Also, as far as I could tell, hasn't the Americans done this for the God-knows-how-many wars? If I recall, they did the same thing in Syria where as far as records could go, Assad had the overwhelming majority of support in the country, yet they're backing Al-Qaeda, the Al-Nusra front and what's happening to Syria now? What about in Libya? What is the result of that now? Didn't they also do the exact same thing in the former Yugoslavia, and even earlier, Vietnam and Korea? You can talk about self-determination and non-intervention when talking about Russia, but you're ignoring when the Americans do far worse. Sure, you can talk about how it doesn't excuse the Russians this time due to American intervention all around the planet, but this is what great powers do - they protect their interests.

And about that farce of a referendum. Even if I were an anti-russian crimean I'd vote the safest option anyways (or stay the fuck away) just to get it fucking done with. Do realize these people have been living under a cloud of violent protests and possible civil outbreak and Russian sabotage for very long now. So it's either this or a strife ridden scenario for the forseeable future.
Yet living under the new basket case formally known as Ukraine that grabbed power through a violent coup by neo-Nazis would be better? In a way, this referendum was held under the gun - under the gun of the new illegitimate Ukrainian government. Is it any wonder that the Crimeans would much rather live under Russia, their traditional homeland, than a country where the vice PM, Defense minister and a bunch of other high positions belong to a party (Svoboda) that openly calls the eradication of Russians and Jews (which are the majority of Crimeans)?

Last edited:
True, we did enhance our forces there; however - this is something I would like everyone to hear and know - we did not exceed the personnel limit of our armed forces in Crimea, which is set at 25,000, because there was no need to do so.
(Source: Putin's Speech to the Kremlin)

They did deploy more armed forces in Crimea. Also, one questions the legitimacy of the armed and unmarked self-defence forces that popped up in Crimea. Furthermore, according to the Ukraine, Russian forces surrounding Ukrainian bases in Crimea was in breach of the lease agreement between Ukraine and Russia.

Yet living under the new basket case formally known as Ukraine that grabbed power through a violent coup by neo-Nazis would be better? In a way, this referendum was held under the gun - under the gun of the new illegitimate Ukrainian government. Is it any wonder that the Crimeans would much rather live under Russia, their traditional homeland, than a country where the vice PM, Defense minister and a bunch of other high positions belong to a party (Svoboda) that openly calls the eradication of Russians and Jews (which are the majority of Crimeans)?
I think calling the protests in the Ukraine a 'violent coup' is dangerously misleading. The time line of the events leading up to the protests, the then-President's reaction and the use of force are all key milestones in what lead to the violence. Both sides have a large part to play in the bloodshed.

I do agree though that it is quite worrying to see the history of individuals that make up the new Ukrainian government. It feels strange, and probably frustrating for The West, to support the sovereignty of the Ukraine while a government containing members of Svoboda sits in power. If I were Crimean I would most likely vote to join Russia, regardless of the circumstance of the referendum. However it is the circumstance of the referendum that The West opposes - held following military intervention from Russia.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
shrang those 'troops' deployed under agreement were for 'self defense' and was governed by many pacts and laws, (much like token NATO deployments in disturbed area) and they pretty much tossed the rule book in the number of personnel allowed to be deployed at a time [read above comment] and cutting off major Ukrainian bases without any military provocation. That's pretty much equivalent to marching in troops, in my book.

And actually no, the referendum wasn't held under the aegis of the Ukrainian govt. but was enforced by the local Crimean council which is pretty much in the pocket of Russia. That's why it's having all the trouble being legitimized by international law, since the Ukrainian constitution doesn't acknowledge referendums unless exclusively authorized by their central government. The legitimacy of the Ukrainian govt. is a whole separate business deserving a whole separate discussion, and even if so it's none of Russia's fucking business what goes on in foreign soil. Ethnicity my ass. He's only in it for the resource rich plateau, the most strategically important port in eastern Europe (Black Sea), and to generate all the faux patriotism to boost his ratings. Let's not even pretend otherwise.

=======
W.R.T Tibet
Since this is largely offtopic I'll address it separately
Actually, the Chinese marching into Tibet only happened after the Tibetans started an armed uprising that was funded by the CIA through the Dalai Lama.
Yeah and do you WHY they rebelled (if you can call it that) and WHY the US felt so desperate to support them financially? since you are pretty good at referring me sources I'll just use a simple chronological list.

1. Tibet becomes independent c.1913

2. (The 13th) Dalai Lama and the nascent govt. do not take kindly to China encroaching on their territory on 'ethnic grounds' (lol), and ask them to retreat. China promptly asks them to fuck off. (China meanwhile keeps doing the same in to India, so you know it's not a Tibet exclusive issue)

3. They try to expand the military, which is promptly stonewalled by the Chinese, because thy see it as 'signs of aggression'. Diplomatically isolated, Tibet doesn't get any support on that issue (except USA, who don't want to make their stance public to maintain diplomatic status quo).

4. The Tibetian parliament expels the Chinese overseeing delegation presiding in their country, in retaliation. In November 1949, it sent a letter to the US State Department and a copy to Mao Zedong, and a separate letter to Great Britain, declaring its intent to defend itself "by all possible means" against PRC troop incursions into Tibet. The US dept. covertly provides resources and bullions since Tibet is at a risk of famine due to resources being cut off by china.

5. Shit hits the fan, china finally gets the excuse it was looking for. Diplomatic breakdown. Rounds of negotiations. They onviously fail because China is a humoungous crybaby at this point.

6. quoting wikipedia: While Lhasa deliberated, on 7 October, Chinese troops advanced into eastern Tibet, crossing the border at 5 places. The purpose was not to invade Tibet but to capture the Tibetan army in Chamdo, demoralize the Lhasa government, and thus exert powerful pressure to send negotiators to Beijing to sign terms for a handover of Tibet.
So yeah they basically kicked Tibet in the balls in (an already ill matched) boxing match.

7.With balls cutoff and helpless Tibet can only watch Chinese troops march in their territory without any effort (bar a few skirmishes). Take over, dissolve Parliament... blah blah. They now own tibet. Home fan cheers loudly as Zedong proclaims 'recapturing land of ancestors' and 'taking china back to glory' (which is btw eerily similar to Putin's Crimea speech.)

so yeah that's that. And don't you dare discount it because blahblahAMERICAN-INTERVENTION-OBV-FAKEblahbah. It was not so much as an intervention as humanitarian support... (India and Britain provided arms and training to local tibetian troops, far more overt than anything the US ever did), there was nothing for US to gain here. No oil, no territory, to bombed buildings. Only the anti-communist sentiment, which spurred them to aid Lhasa.
And the Chinese 'marching in because of a rebellion' is like a bully pulping you up 'because you looked at him the wrong way'. Again, not their country... none of their fucking business.

Actually, the Chinese marching into Tibet only happened after the Tibetans started an armed uprising that was funded by the CIA through the Dalai Lama. Before accusing me of being a CPC mouthpiece, you can read up on declassified CIA documents about how the CIA actually funded the Tibetan uprising (Wikipedia's a good start), kind of like what they've done in Ukraine (also not disputable, see the Victoria Nuland leaks).

As far as things that are proven, Russia did not march any new troops into Ukraine, they used the troops that were already in Crimea as part of their lease with Ukraine (that's supposed to last until 2042). Also, as far as I could tell, hasn't the Americans done this for the God-knows-how-many wars? If I recall, they did the same thing in Syria where as far as records could go, Assad had the overwhelming majority of support in the country, yet they're backing Al-Qaeda, the Al-Nusra front and what's happening to Syria now? What about in Libya? What is the result of that now? Didn't they also do the exact same thing in the former Yugoslavia, and even earlier, Vietnam and Korea? You can talk about self-determination and non-intervention when talking about Russia, but you're ignoring when the Americans do far worse. Sure, you can talk about how it doesn't excuse the Russians this time due to American intervention all around the planet, but this is what great powers do - they protect their interests.

A. I don't know how much truth there is to the Tibet thing, but I do know that the Dalai Lama didn't start an uprising. He's a Buddhist monk, they're so opposed to violence they filter their water so they don't kill microscopic organisms. So yeah gonna call your bluff there, so to speak.
B. Russia just mobilized it's army, and are lining up on the Ukraine border. Not Crimea. Actual Ukraine. So yeah I'm gonna go ahead and just say Russia isn't using imperialism anymore, which in the modern world is treated as a frowned upon but acceptable reason... No, they're straightup getting ready to tell Ukraine they either belong to Russia, or will no longer exist.
C. Ukrainian government is illegitimate 80% of the time because of Russia's "influence". The other 20% is it's Ukraine. They base a lot on bribes, not just politics.

shrang

General Kenobi
I think calling the protests in the Ukraine a 'violent coup' is dangerously misleading. The time line of the events leading up to the protests, the then-President's reaction and the use of force are all key milestones in what lead to the violence. Both sides have a large part to play in the bloodshed.
Actually, the use of snipers by the government is now heavily disputed. If you look at the Estonian foreign minister's leaked phone call to Catherine Ashton (EU), there are strong suspicions that it was the leaders of the Maidan that ordered the snipers to hit policeman and civilians, which makes it a potentially a false flag event.

A. I don't know how much truth there is to the Tibet thing, but I do know that the Dalai Lama didn't start an uprising. He's a Buddhist monk, they're so opposed to violence they filter their water so they don't kill microscopic organisms. So yeah gonna call your bluff there, so to speak.
B. Russia just mobilized it's army, and are lining up on the Ukraine border. Not Crimea. Actual Ukraine. So yeah I'm gonna go ahead and just say Russia isn't using imperialism anymore, which in the modern world is treated as a frowned upon but acceptable reason... No, they're straightup getting ready to tell Ukraine they either belong to Russia, or will no longer exist.
C. Ukrainian government is illegitimate 80% of the time because of Russia's "influence". The other 20% is it's Ukraine. They base a lot on bribes, not just politics.
A) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_Tibetan_program and http://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1964-68v30/d342

The Dalai Lama was paid by the CIA to lead an uprising. This isn't even up for debate, the CIA released declassified documents on this stuff. They weren't opposed to violence either. There is significant evidence to show that Tibet was a serfdom where the DL and his oligarchs in the temple pretty much kept the rest of Tibetans as slaves, and mutilation was a common punishment for people who stepped out of line.

B) Well, that's one reason for mobilising its troops, the other reason for doing so may be because you have Svoboda leaders (who have great say in the new government) openly calling for war with Russia. Do you really expect them to sit still while this sort of rhetoric is going on?

C) Oh, so a Ukrainian government is now legitimate because of US/EU/NATO influence? The Americans invested $5 billion dollars in this coup.

==

Now, Soul Fly :

I'm just going to make it relatively short on your response about Tibet, since this is a thread about Ukraine and I don't want to go off-topic. Firstly, if you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_sovereignty_debate, you will see that it says:

...[Britain] instead adopted a policy based on the idea of autonomy for Tibet within the context of Chinese suzerainty, that is to say, de facto independence for Tibet in the context of token subordination to China. Britain articulated this policy in the Simla Convention of 1914.
While at times the Tibetans were fiercely independent-minded, at other times, Tibet indicated its willingness to accept subordinate status as part of China provided that Tibetan internal systems were left untouched and China relinquished control over a number of important ethnic Tibetan groups in Kham and Amdo.
The Provisional Constitution of the Republic of China (1912) stipulated that Tibet was a province of the Republic of China. Provisions concerning Tibet in the Constitution of the Republic of China promulgated later all stress the inseparability of Tibet from Chinese territory, and the Central Government of China exercise of sovereignty in Tibet.
So, Tibet was not really an independence country in its own right, but an autonomous region under a larger country, a bit like Hong Kong, Taiwan, and... Crimea. This will be important a bit later.

so yeah that's that. And don't you dare discount it because blahblahAMERICAN-INTERVENTION-OBV-FAKEblahbah. It was not so much as an intervention as humanitarian support... (India and Britain provided arms and training to local tibetian troops, far more overt than anything the US ever did), there was nothing for US to gain here. No oil, no territory, to bombed buildings. Only the anti-communist sentiment, which spurred them to aid Lhasa.
This is just naive. If you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_Tibetan_program and http://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1964-68v30/d342 and
(In Chinese, but has English subtitles, the guy's from Taiwan too), it is clear Tibet was provided with funding and arms support. So, I don't think it was "humanitarian support". Actually, I guess you could call it humanitarian support, if you use the traditional US definition (which is bombing the crap out of another country). It is also incredibly naive to think that Tibet has no value to the Americans (or any other great power). Tibet has/had incredible geopolitical significance, especially in the Cold War when it was right next to the Soviet Union and the newly founded PRC. Geostrategically, the Himalayas are an incredible barrier to project power across, it's almost like an ocean. There was very little way of projecting power onto the PRC mainland or onto the Soviet Union (note when the problem actually started, in 1951, just at the height of the Korean War). There was a reason why Britain invaded Tibet in 1904. Also, if you read http://www.theglobalist.com/tibet-and-21st-century-water-wars/ you will know why Tibet is so important to China and the rest of SE Asia. If you control Tibet, you control most of the water supply that goes into the region, giving you a huge leverage over those countries.

Anyway, even if Tibet is truly an independent country that China invaded (again, I'm going to drop this because this thread is about Ukraine, not Tibet), there are couple of major inconsistencies in your argument regarding Ukraine, if you put it together with your assessment of Tibet.

1) Tibet was "invaded" (by your own terms) back in the 1950s. If you follow your argument about historical ties and how they play no impact on the conduct of today, then you can safely say Tibet is no longer its own country and is now legally part of the PRC, just as most of North America is now legally part the US and Canada and a bunch of other states, not the former American Indians.

2) As mentioned above, Tibet was not actually an independent country more than an autonomous region just like Crimea was. So if you want to say that Tibet IS its own independent country, you must also recognise that Crimea is now ITS own independent nation. The parallels are actually pretty close if you think about it. In 1949, Tibet was an autonomous region under China, which changed its central government through a revolution. If your analysis is correct, Tibet no longer wanted to be a part of that system and the PRC was hostile to it. Fast forward 65 years to 2014, you have Crimea that was an autonomous region of Ukraine, happily minding its own business. The central government of Ukraine was changed through a violent coup and Crimea no longer feels that it should be a part of Ukraine. You can accuse Russia of having massive influence in Crimea, but the same was in Tibet, which was funded by America, Britain and India. What's the difference? You can't have your cake and eat it at the same time. Which is it? Is Crimea still a part of Ukraine or is Tibet independent from China? You can't pick both (Actually, you can't pick either because neither are correct, but I'm not going to stretch out this point, I'm just picking on the contradiction of your argument).

Finally,
And actually no, the referendum wasn't held under the aegis of the Ukrainian govt. but was enforced by the local Crimean council which is pretty much in the pocket of Russia. That's why it's having all the trouble being legitimized by international law, since the Ukrainian constitution doesn't acknowledge referendums unless exclusively authorized by their central government.
Find me a line in the Ukrainian constitution that allows its central government to be overthrown in a coup and you can have your assertion that the Crimea referendum is illegitimate. Crimea is in the pocket of Russia, yes, but the new Ukrainian government is firmly in the pocket of US/EU/NATO's agenda (and bribed $5 billion by Victoria Nuland too!)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)