Other Critical Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep so it's essentially a one time use swords dance that pierces defense boosts. Very interesting.

So what is the natural crit rate of an Absol with Super Luck + Scope Lens?

I wish Beedrill got increased Critical hit bug and poison move, but I suppose running focus energy with Pin Missile works well. I can't test the full potential of this set till Pokebank. I wonder if I can test the Farfetch'd set though. Can I breed Leaf Blade onto him this gen?

I wish Beedrill got increased Critical hit bug and poison move, but I suppose running focus energy with Pin Missile works well. I can't test the full potential of this set till Pokebank. I wonder if I can test the Farfetch'd set though. Can I breed Leaf Blade onto him this gen?
Yeah, Farfetch'd is in the field group, so Smeargle can breed everything onto it.

Drapion doesn't even get Focus Energy.
Well, it's possible that it gets it this gen. If not, you can always Baton Pass a Focus Energy onto it. Or give it a Lansat Berry. Whatever.

Well, it's possible that it gets it this gen. If not, you can always Baton Pass a Focus Energy onto it. Or give it a Lansat Berry. Whatever.
Baton Pass the Focus Energy boost? C'mon now.

I think people are looking into maximizing critical hits percentages too much here. While the research aspect of it is definitely good and necessary, people seem to be looking forward to making it competitively viable. You guys do realize that Swords Dance results in more damage due to the CH multiplier drop do you? Anybody with SD (or another boosting move) would never use Focus Energy. And yes, even bypassing defensive boosts is not worth it. Even without a boosting move, why waste a turn with Focus Energy when you could just attack twice?

The damage drop, in fact, makes the CH mechanic almost an unavailable "strategy." From what I can tell, there is literally nothing you can do to make use of them directly than by using Sniper, only because it raises the damage. But even then, you'd have to probably use the boosting items, meaning you couldn't hold anything else.

Last edited:
I agree that it's almost certainly not viable in Smogon's OU metagame, but there are definitely rulesets where a Drifblim that passes Focus Energy is viable.

Drifblim (Salac Berry, etc.)
Focus Energy
Stockpile/Minimize (depending on the legality of evasion)
Substitute
Baton Pass

Baton Pass the Focus Energy boost? C'mon now.

I think people are looking into maximizing critical hits percentages too much here. While the research aspect of it is definitely good and necessary, people seem to be looking forward to making it competitively viable. You guys do realize that Swords Dance results in more damage due to the CH multiplier drop do you? Anybody with SD (or another boosting move) would never use Focus Energy. And yes, even bypassing defensive boosts is not worth it. Even without a boosting move, why waste a turn with Focus Energy when you could just attack twice?

The damage drop, in fact, makes the CH mechanic almost an unavailable "strategy." From what I can tell, there is literally nothing you can do to make use of them directly than by using Sniper, only because it raises the damage. But even then, you'd have to probably use the boosting items, meaning you couldn't hold anything else.
I think this is mostly true and that you're pretty much right on the money, but I think the biggest question becomes things with Super Luck.

I wouldn't doubt if Absol with Scope Lens on it using Night Slash was a close to if not 100% chance of critting. The question then only becomes if the difference in *always* critting for 1-2 attacks (n slash and psycho cut) vs just using Life Orb instead for a better more reliable boost is better. But then there's also the recoil from LO. So yeah for the most part the crit thing is negligible.

Not all focus energy pokemon get swords dance. For instance, Kangaskhan. Also, focus energy stacks with swords dance - for instance, imagine a Power-Up punc MKhan with focus energy? You now have +2 attack with focus energy... and access to shadow claw.

Granted, this is all convoluted theory, it's probably more trouble than it's worth, but there may be one or two pokemon who can take advantage of these changes.

all I know about this is, I might be able to have a farfetch'd-core NU team that I won't feel completely awful for using, and I'm a-ok with that.

I'd like some more intricate data before assuming any major tier changers, though. there's a lot of conflicting things being said, and even a small difference in how good a crit chance is would basically mean everything.

all I know about this is, I might be able to have a farfetch'd-core NU team that I won't feel completely awful for using, and I'm a-ok with that.

I'd like some more intricate data before assuming any major tier changers, though. there's a lot of conflicting things being said, and even a small difference in how good a crit chance is would basically mean everything.
If you have a Farfetch'd with a Stick, all high-crit moves will crit 100% of the time. Any non-high-crit moves will crit ≥ 50% of the time. However, crits only deal an extra 50% damage. That's probably enough info to start planning your team.

Sadly, it seems simulators haven't picked up the changes yet. For a competitive instance, Scope Lens Infernape's Blaze Kick wasn't critting 50% of the time. I haven't tried Fetch'd yet but a fear more disappointment awaits. 100% crit on Normal/Dark/Grass coming off Scolipede's +2/+3 boosts or it's own Agility would be nice. It's basically the same as Hustle's attack boost with no drawback except Shell/Hyper Armor - Stick Fetch'd effectively sports base 121 attack as long as it's using a high CH move, with decent coverage and a Shadow Sneak immunity, and after coverage a fourth moveslot for either STAB QA/U-Turn/Heat Wave (albeit only 50% crit), BP, Defog, or either of Agility and SD.

Is there a reason this thread seems all but abandoned? Is no one working on trying to figure out the new crit-stages?

My guess is that they're either:

0 stages: 1/16
1 stage: 1/8
2 stages: 1/2
3 stages: 1/1

OR

0 stages: ≈1/16
1 stage: 1/9
2 stages: 5/9
3 stages 9/9 = 1

I can confirm that 1 stage is almost definitely more than both 1/8 and 1/9. My friend did 100 trials and got 19 crits. I know that is much too small a sample size to actually determine the percentage, but throughout his trial it varied between 18%-25%, all of which are above 1/8 which is 12.5%.

I also did a trial with 2 stages (super luck and high crit move) and got around 75%, but once again the sample size was too small to really tell for sure (50 attacks).

This seems confusing when combined with what we know about stick and focus energy because they would imply that 3 stages is 100% and 2 stages is around 50%. Maybe the amount of stages given by these has been changed.

Last edited:
I can confirm that 1 stage is almost definitely more than both 1/8 and 1/9. My friend did 100 trials and got 19 crits. I know that is much too small a sample size to actually determine the percentage, but throughout his trial it varied between 18%-25%, all of which are above 1/8 which is 12.5%.

I also did a trial with 2 stages (super luck and high crit move) and got around 75%, but once again the sample size was too small to really tell for sure (50 attacks).

This seems confusing when combined with what we know about stick and focus energy because they would imply that 3 stages is 100% and 2 stages is around 50%. Maybe the amount of stages given by these has been changed.
I don't have my data in front of me, but when I did a couple of 100 trial runs with one stage (a high-crit attack and no other boosts), I don't think I ever got above 14 crits. As you say, though, that's not conclusive.

As for my other tests, my 100 trials with a Stick seemed to give a 50% chance, but my 100 trials with Super Luck + Night Slash was much closer to 60%.

I don't think the number of stages that various effects give has changed. Although it's possible that the entire crit system has been revamped to no longer use stages. Many more tests are needed.

Statistics: http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/201/hyptest/hypprob.htm

If you give me all the data, I can run the number crunching for you. Its been a few years since I've done hardcore statistics, but I remember the general gist of it.

For example, your standard deviation for proportions is +/- 0.039. So we're looking at 16% crit to 23% crits. (68% confidence interval). If you have all the data, we can combine it into a single test and narrow down that range.

We need around 625 total trials to get a confidence interval of +/- 1%, although 125 trials are all we need for a confidence interval of +/- 2%.

Last edited:
Statistics: http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/201/hyptest/hypprob.htm

If you give me all the data, I can run the number crunching for you. Its been a few years since I've done hardcore statistics, but I remember the general gist of it.

For example, your standard deviation for proportions is +/- 0.039. So we're looking at 16% crit to 23% crits. (68% confidence interval). If you have all the data, we can combine it into a single test and narrow down that range.

We need around 625 total trials to get a confidence interval of +/- 1%, although 125 trials are all we need for a confidence interval of +/- 2%.
Standart procedure is using the 95% confidence interval because the 68% is just to unreliable.
So, you're looking at +/- 1.96*0.039, which actually still includes 12.5% (though just barely).

even with critical hits being lowered to x1.5 i feel like with pokemon amie super luck absol becomes extremely viable. at least through in game testing with maxed out affection and super luck my absol has been pretty much getting a crit every time he uses night slash which could devastate certain pokemon

even with critical hits being lowered to x1.5 i feel like with pokemon amie super luck absol becomes extremely viable. at least through in game testing with maxed out affection and super luck my absol has been pretty much getting a crit every time he uses night slash which could devastate certain pokemon
Affection is only in-game, though. Affection boosts are removed in link battles of any sort.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In a way this crit change is a (small) blessing in disguise since it helps pokemon like tauros activate their anger point ability much easier. The crit would hurt them less and crits are more common (if I read it right) so it doesnt necessarily need a pokemon with frost breath besides them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)