move 2: Spikes
move 3: Rock Blast / Stone Edge
move 4: X-Scissor / Earthquake
item: Custap Berry
ability: Sturdy
nature: Adamant
evs: 206 HP / 252 Atk / 50 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sturdy and Custap Berry are the main sellers of this set, as they let Crustle set up one entry hazard, take a heavy hit, activate Custap Berry the next turn, and set up another entry hazard. Crustle is also one of the very few Pokemon that possesses both Stealth Rock and Spikes, making multiple layers of entry hazards very simple to set up. Base 95 Attack is what separates Crustle from Smeargle; Smeargle is typically shut down completely by Taunt, whereas Crustle doesn't mind it as much and can deal some heavy damage with its STAB moves. Rock Blast permits Crustle to KO Focus Sash users such as Accelgor, Aerodactyl, and Snover (granted that Rock Blast hits at least 3 times). You can opt to use Stone Edge for more consistent damage, but its shaky 80% accuracy can make it a liability and it can't KO Focus Sash users. X-Scissor is Crustle's next STAB move, which gives it the power to hit Psychic-, Dark-, and Grass-types for super effective damage, in particular taking out the popular Regenerator core of Slowking and Tangrowth. Earthquake is another viable option to hit Steel-types and common Pokemon such as Emboar, Lanturn, and Manectric, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An alternative spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe and 0 IVs in HP and Defense and 17 in Special Defense allows Crustle to get into Custap Berry range more easily while still surviving two uninvested Psychics from Uxie. Max Attack and an Adamant nature secures OHKOs on Aerodactyl, Accelgor, and Snover if Rock Blast hits three times. The Speed and HP investment give Crustle the ability to outspeed standard Druddigon while taking two non-Choice Band Dragon Claws and enduring a Choice Band-boosted Rock Blast from Cinccino. Night Slash is an alternative so Crustle can hit Ghost-types such as Rotom and Dusknoir for super effective damage, but other than that it does not serve any other purpose. Flail is an interesting move because if Crustle is knocked into Sturdy, Flail turns into a 200 Base Power attack and offers great neutral coverage.</p>

<p>A spinblocker is a must have for Crustle's team so that entry hazards don't go to waste. Rotom and offensive Spiritomb are great partners because Spiritomb can Pursuit trap Cryogonal while Rotom can OHKO Kabutops with Thunderbolt and deal a massive amount of damage to Sandslash with Shadow Ball. Kabutops and Feraligatr that carry Aqua Jet can cause problems for Crustle, because they can limit it to only one layer of entry hazards. To solve this problem, Choice Specs Slowking or Tangrowth make great teammates because they can sponge any hit opposing threats might throw at Crustle. Dedicated Rapid Spin leads such as Kabutops or Sandslash can stop Crustle in its tracks. Both can 2HKO and 3HKO with Stone Edgewhile threatening spin Crustle's entry hazards away. Speedy Grass-types such as Lilligant, Rotom-C, and Sceptile can take a Stone Edge if necessary and then threaten with their STAB moves. This Crustle should be used on hyper offense teams that rely on entry hazards to net their KOs. Hard hitters such as Archeops, Druddigon, Entei, and Moltres are examples of Pokemon that appreciate the entry hazard support.</p>

[pimg]588[/pimg]
[SET]
name: Custap Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 17 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Great hazard setter since it has access to Spikes and Stealth Rock
  • Sturdy and Custap Berry almost guarantee 2 layers of hazards.
  • Rock Blast allows you to hit Substitute users and sash leads such as Accelgor and Aerodactyl
  • Stone Edge for more reliable power but has shaky 80% accuracy.
  • X-Scissor because of STAB and hits Grass-types and Psychic-types for super effective damage. E.g Tangrowth and Slowking regenerator core.
  • Earthquake so it's not walled by Steel Types and hits Pokemons such as Emboar, Nidoqueen, and Qwilfish.
  • 0 ivs in the following so Crustle can get in Custap range more easier. 17 SpD allows Crustle to survive 2 uninvested Psychic's from Uxie

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Night Slash to hit Ghost types like Dusknoir and Rotom for decent damage
  • Flail because at 1 Hp has a nice 200 BP
  • Spin blocker is a must. Rotom and offensive Spiritomb make great partners as Spiritomb can Pursuit trap Cryogonal while Rotom OHKOs Kabutops and does massive amount to Sandslash due to low special defence.
  • Should only be used on HO teams. Hard hitters such as Entei, Druddigon, Moltres, Nidoqueen appreciate the hazard support allowing them to net those OHKOs.
  • Possible 252 HP to make its survivability last longer but better off with 0 ivs so it can get to Custap Berry range faster.

Why this should be on site:
I have been using this recently on a HO team that I made and have great success. Almost always gotten 2 layers of hazards up except the odd sleep inducers doesn't let Crustle set up its hazard so I paired up with Banded Entei with Sleep Talk. If anything you think needs to be added or change just comment.

This set looks viable as a hazards setter. Just mention that Rock Blast is good vs Focus Sash Snover.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

When you get the second approval, you can go ahead and write this. Then post when you're done writing it and you'll get the third check. Good job =)

I actually used this for fun a few times, but in all seriousness I'm not too sure what merit this has over Smeargle as a hazard setter. Not unlike Crustle, Smeargle can also almost always ensure 2+ layers of hazards, but unlike Crustle it has access to literally any two other moves to prevent its hazards from being spun, ensuring it can better set up, self-spinblock, etc. (ex: Spore, Whirlwind, Memento, Explosion, Magic Coat, etc.). Plus hail's presence doesn't exactly help either, considering lead Snover pressure it with a KO, as Blizzard+Ice Shard almost always KO's after hail damage, and if you Rock Blast then it can just as easily be forced out / KOed by Glaceon or Rotom-F. I just don't see the point in running such a set with a more wholly efficient hazard layer available :/

edit: Notwithstanding, I'd mention that running 17 Special Defense IVs allows Crustle to always survive 2 uninvested Psychics from Uxie, who would otherwise outspeed and limit Crustle to a single layer of hazards, since its a pretty common lead match-up.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I've actually seen this in action and it's decent. The main advantages that it has over Smeargle are the ability to bluff a different set, actually be able to deal some decent damage when the situation calls for it, and consistently not get owned by Taunt leads like Aerodactyl.

Also just getting rid of Snover and still getting up Stealth Rock is nice in a lot of situations since they can't use it as death fodder later or re-set up hail if you're packing Sunny Day or Rain Dance elsewhere on your team.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

I actually used this for fun a few times, but in all seriousness I'm not too sure what merit this has over Smeargle as a hazard setter. Not unlike Crustle, Smeargle can also almost always ensure 2+ layers of hazards, but unlike Crustle it has access to literally any two other moves to prevent its hazards from being spun, ensuring it can better set up, self-spinblock, etc. (ex: Spore, Whirlwind, Memento, Explosion, Magic Coat, etc.). Plus hail's presence doesn't exactly help either, considering lead Snover pressure it with a KO, as Blizzard+Ice Shard almost always KO's after hail damage, and if you Rock Blast then it can just as easily be forced out / KOed by Glaceon or Rotom-F. I just don't see the point in running such a set with a more wholly efficient hazard layer available :/

edit: Notwithstanding, I'd mention that running 17 Special Defense IVs allows Crustle to always survive 2 uninvested Psychics from Uxie, who would otherwise outspeed and limit Crustle to a single layer of hazards, since its a pretty common lead match-up.
I'll mention the 17 Special Defense ivs. Smeargle faces the same fate from Snover as well as it can Spore Snover but Smeargle can just as easily get KOed by Glaceon and Rotom-F. Crustle has a niche because it can do damage to other Pokemon but Smeargle is just used as a supporting poke. Crustle is not fully crippled from Taunt while Smeargle is shut down by Taunt. Wow fast QC check ill try to get this written up soon.

The problem with this set is that the opponent can switch in Ferligatr or Kabutops to bring Crustle down to Sturdy and then shut it down with Aqua Jet. Both of these Pokemon are good counters, as are most non-Fire/Psychic/Dark Special attackers. Cinccino should also be mentioned as a counter for being able to break through Crustle's ability + item combo with Rock Blast.

The problem with this set is that the opponent can switch in Ferligatr or Kabutops to bring Crustle down to Sturdy and then shut it down with Aqua Jet. Both of these Pokemon are good counters, as are most non-Fire/Psychic/Dark Special attackers. Cinccino should also be mentioned as a counter for being able to break through Crustle's ability + item combo with Rock Blast.
iirc you don't mention checks and counters for sets. They have a Checks and Counters on site which they could update and add those in.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
iirc you don't mention checks and counters for sets. They have a Checks and Counters on site which they could update and add those in.
No, do it individually by set too, but be sure to add teammates for Crustle to counteract those checks and counters.

Pardon me if I sound silly, but why are you running max Speed? I say this because, sure, less defensive investment = more likelyhood to get into Custap range, but it can just as easily be the opposite, considering that with bulk investment you could in turn survive two hits before Custap activates... Is there a specific lead situation in which this happens? Like, Lead Aero failing to bring you into Custap range with HP investment... I'm not sure, but since when you're in Custap range you'll almost always go first, it seems like that spread wouldn't be necessary...

Pardon me if I sound silly, but why are you running max Speed? I say this because, sure, less defensive investment = more likelyhood to get into Custap range, but it can just as easily be the opposite, considering that with bulk investment you could in turn survive two hits before Custap activates... Is there a specific lead situation in which this happens? Like, Lead Aero failing to bring you into Custap range with HP investment... I'm not sure, but since when you're in Custap range you'll almost always go first, it seems like that spread wouldn't be necessary...
I just thought it would be nice to out speed some pokemon such as Lanturn and banded boar. I'll run some calcs to see if HP investment is good or not.
edit: Imo just enough evs to live banded Jolly Cincinno Rock Blast. Max attack evs with Adamant nature is a must because you can not 3 hit Snover, Aero and Accelagor with Rock blast without max attack. Even with Max HP you're still 2HKO by several physical attackers because it lacks the def evs. Unless you find a situation where max HP helps you in a situation ill probably change it so Crustle can survive LO Rock blast from Cincinno.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This looks to good to me, don't see any bases missing. Make sure you remove any mentions of Nidoqueen. Consider mentioning Rapid Spin leads designed to block Crustle such as Kabutops, which will Stone Edge+rapid Spin to screw you over. Note that while Cryogonal cannot afford to stay in of Crsutle, the other spinners carry an advantage on Crustle.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Thanks, though I mentioned where rapid spin leads like Kabutops and Sandslash threaten Crustle but I don't see where this quite exactly fit in
Texas Cloverleaf said:
Note that while Cryogonal cannot afford to stay in of Crsutle, the other spinners carry an advantage on Crustle.
Ready for GP checks

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Crustle's ability Sturdy and Custap Berry is are the main sellers of this set, as it lets they let Crustle set up one entry hazard a hazard, take a heavy hit, activate Custap Berry the next turn, and set up one more entry hazard. It Crustle is also one of the very few Pokemon that possesses both Stealth Rock and Spikes, making setting up multiple layers of entry hazards very simple. Its Base 95 Attack is what separates Crustle and from Smeargle; Smeargle is typically shut down completely by Taunt, whereas Crustle doesn't mind it as much and can deal some heavy damage with its STAB moves. Rock Blast permits Crustle to KO Focus Sash users such as Accelgor, Aerodactyl, and Snover (granted that Rock Blast hits at least 3 times). You may opt to use Stone Edge for more consistent damage, but its has a shaky 80% accuracy can make it a liability and it can't KO Focus Sash users and loses the capability of taking out Pokemon that hold Focus Sash. X-Scissor is Crustle's next STAB move, which gives it the power to hit Psychic-, Dark-, and Grass-types for super effective damage, in particular taking out the popular Regenerator core of Slowking and Tangrowth. Earthquake is another viable option to hit Steel-types and common Pokemon like such as Emboar, Lanturn, (AC) and Manectric, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An alternative spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe and 0 IVs in HP and Defense and 17 in Special Defense allows Crustle to get into Custap Berry range more easily while still surviving two uninvested Psychics from Uxie. Max Attack and an Adamant nature secures OHKOs on Aerodactyl, Accelgor, and Snover if Rock Blast hits three times. The Speed and HP investment gives Crustle the ability to outspeed standard Druddigon while taking two non-Choice Band-boosted Dragon Claws and enduring a Choice Band-boosted Rock Blast from Cinccino. Night Slash is an alternative so Crustle can hit Ghost-types like such as Rotom and Dusknoir for super effective damage, but other than that it does not serve any other purpose. Flail is an interesting move because if Crustle is knocked into Sturdy, Flail turns into a 200 Base Power attack and offers a lot of neutral coverage.</p>

<p>A spinblocker is a must have for Crustle's team so its entry hazards hard work won't go to waste. Rotom and offensive Spiritomb make great partners because Spiritomb can Pursuit trap Cryogonal while Rotom can OHKO Kabutops with Thunderbolt and do massive amount of damage to Sandslash with Shadow Ball. Kabutops and Feraligatr that carry Aqua Jet cause problems for Crustle, (AC) since they canlimit it to make it achieve only one layer of entry hazards. To solve this problem, Choice Specs Slowking or Tangrowth make great teammates because they can sponge any hit that the opposing threats may throw at Crustle. Dedicated Rapid Spin leads like such as Kabutops or Sandslash can stop Crustle in its tracks. as The latter Both can 2HKO and 3HKO with their Stone Edge, (RC) while threatening intimidating to spin its Crustle's entry hazards away. Speedy Grass-types like such as Lilligant, Rotom-C, (AC) and Sceptile can take a Stone Edge if necessary then threaten the two with their STAB moves. This Crustle should only be used on hyper offense teams that rely on entry hazards to net their OHKOs. Hard hitters such as Archeops, Druddigon, Entei, (AC) and Moltres are examples of Pokemon that appreciate the entry hazard support.</p>

There were some basic errors here, like serial commas and is/are used incorrectly. I'd strongly recommend taking a look at the spelling and grammar standards so basic stuff like this doesn't have to be corrected next time!

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Thanks Gato for GP check just impelmented it. English is not my first language so sorry about the basic errors some reason I thought the comma before and wasn't support to be there. I'm still learning how to write properly as this is my first analysis written.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Crustle's ability Sturdy and Custap Berry are the main sellers of this set, as they let Crustle set up one entry hazard, take a heavy hit, activate Custap Berry the next turn, and set up one moreanother entry hazard. Crustle is also one of the very few Pokemon that possesses both Stealth Rock and Spikes, making setting up multiple layers of entry hazards very simple to setup. Base 95 Attack is what separates Crustle from Smeargle; Smeargle is typically shut down completely by Taunt, whereas Crustle doesn't mind it as much and can deal some heavy damage with its STAB moves. Rock Blast permits Crustle to KO Focus Sash users such as Accelgor, Aerodactyl, and Snover (granted that Rock Blast hits at least 3 times). You maycan opt to use Stone Edge for more consistent damage, but its shaky 80% accuracy can make it a liability and it can't KO Focus Sash users. X-Scissor is Crustle's next STAB move, which gives it the power to hit Psychic-, Dark-, and Grass-types for super effective damage, in particular taking out the popular Regenerator core of Slowking and Tangrowth. Earthquake is another viable option to hit Steel-types and common Pokemon such as Emboar, Lanturn, and Manectric, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An alternative spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe and 0 IVs in HP and Defense and 17 in Special Defense allows Crustle to get into Custap Berry range more easily while still surviving two uninvested Psychics from Uxie. Max Attack and an Adamant nature secures OHKOs on Aerodactyl, Accelgor, and Snover if Rock Blast hits three times. The Speed and HP investment give Crustle the ability to outspeed standard Druddigon while taking two non-Choice Band Dragon Claws and enduring a Choice Band-boosted Rock Blast from Cinccino. Night Slash is an alternative so Crustle can hit Ghost-types such as Rotom and Dusknoir for super effective damage, but other than that it does not serve any other purpose. Flail is an interesting move because if Crustle is knocked into Sturdy, Flail turns into a 200 Base Power attack and offers grea lot of neutral coverage.</p>

<p>A spinblocker is a must have for Crustle's team so itsthat entry hazards wdon't go to waste. Rotom and offensive Spiritomb makare great partners because Spiritomb can Pursuit trap Cryogonal while Rotom can OHKO Kabutops with Thunderbolt and doeal a massive amount of damage to Sandslash with Shadow Ball. Kabutops and Feraligatr that carry Aqua Jet can cause problems for Crustle, sincbecause they can limit it to only one layer of entry hazards. To solve this problem, Choice Specs Slowking or Tangrowth make great teammates because they can sponge any hit opposing threats mayight throw at Crustle. Dedicated Rapid Spin leads such as Kabutops or Sandslash can stop Crustle in its tracks. Both can 2HKO and 3HKO with Stone Edgewhile threatening spin Crustle's entry hazards away. Speedy Grass-types such as Lilligant, Rotom-C, and Sceptile can take a Stone Edge if necessary and then threaten the two with their STAB moves. This Crustle should be used on hyper offense teams that rely on entry hazards to net their KOs. Hard hitters such as Archeops, Druddigon, Entei, and Moltres are examples of Pokemon that appreciate the entry hazard support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sturdy and Custap Berry are the main sellers of this set, as they let Crustle set up one entry hazard, take a heavy hit, activate Custap Berry the next turn, and set up another entry hazard. Crustle is also one of the very few Pokemon that possesses both Stealth Rock and Spikes, making multiple layers of entry hazards very simple to setup. Base 95 Attack is what separates Crustle from Smeargle; Smeargle is typically shut down completely by Taunt, whereas Crustle doesn't mind it as much and can deal some heavy damage with its STAB moves. Rock Blast permits Crustle to KO Focus Sash users such as Accelgor, Aerodactyl, and Snover (granted that Rock Blast hits at least 3 times). You can opt to use Stone Edge for more consistent damage, but its shaky 80% accuracy can make it a liability and it can't KO Focus Sash users. X-Scissor is Crustle's next STAB move, which gives it the power to hit Psychic-, Dark-, and Grass-types for super effective damage, in particular taking out the popular Regenerator core of Slowking and Tangrowth. Earthquake is another viable option to hit Steel-types and common Pokemon such as Emboar, Lanturn, and Manectric, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An alternative spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe and 0 IVs in HP and Defense and 17 in Special Defense allows Crustle to get into Custap Berry range more easily while still surviving two uninvested Psychics from Uxie. Max Attack and an Adamant nature secures OHKOs on Aerodactyl, Accelgor, and Snover if Rock Blast hits three times. The Speed and HP investment give Crustle the ability to outspeed standard Druddigon while taking two non-Choice Band Dragon Claws and enduring a Choice Band-boosted Rock Blast from Cinccino. Night Slash is an alternative so Crustle can hit Ghost-types such as Rotom and Dusknoir for super effective damage, but other than that it does not serve any other purpose. Flail is an interesting move because if Crustle is knocked into Sturdy, Flail turns into a 200 Base Power attack and offers great neutral coverage.</p>

<p>A spinblocker is a must have for Crustle's team so that entry hazards don't go to waste. Rotom and offensive Spiritomb are great partners because Spiritomb can Pursuit trap Cryogonal while Rotom can OHKO Kabutops with Thunderbolt and deal a massive amount of damage to Sandslash with Shadow Ball. Kabutops and Feraligatr that carry Aqua Jet can cause problems for Crustle, because they can limit it to only one layer of entry hazards. To solve this problem, Choice Specs Slowking or Tangrowth make great teammates because they can sponge any hit opposing threats might throw at Crustle. Dedicated Rapid Spin leads such as Kabutops or Sandslash can stop Crustle in its tracks. Both can 2HKO and 3HKO with Stone Edgewhile threatening spin Crustle's entry hazards away. Speedy Grass-types such as Lilligant, Rotom-C, and Sceptile can take a Stone Edge if necessary and then threaten with their STAB moves. This Crustle should be used on hyper offense teams that rely on entry hazards to net their KOs. Hard hitters such as Archeops, Druddigon, Entei, and Moltres are examples of Pokemon that appreciate the entry hazard support.</p>

Good job with this!

[gp]2/2[/gp]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey make sure to fix this sentence before upload!

making multiple layers of entry hazards very simple to setup

Setup shoud be "set up" silly yonko

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)