Curry with Rice? The Value of Petting Your Pokemon

Ever since gen 6 the Pokemon games have given you the option to interact with your pokemon in a screen separate from the rest of the game, and while the feature has been renamed in every game since, the basics remain the same; you feed and can play with your pokemon in some way or another.

the feature has proved popular enough to even be ported to Pokemon Go, in fact Gamefreak has deemed the feature important enough to significantly increase its animations as of Pokemon Sword and Shield, this being the reason given for the dex cut.

however every review I've ever seen of the games has only talked about this feature as something you do once or twice and promptly forget, or something to do only for research and otherwise ignore and my personal experience being that noone outside of twitter even remembers the dang thing

so I ask you, what do you think of the Pokemon Amie/Refresh/Camp feature? is it something you use frequently? how many people do you know which appreciate this feature? do you think is valuable enough to validate the dex cut? which will you order the chicken or the fish?

and finally should this feature be improved in future games or cut out altogether?

Last edited:
I don't go out of my way to interact with game characters, so my extent of amie consists of obtaining sylveon. But it got worse. I effectively dropped normal, unrestricted playthroughs entirely after gen 6. Everything after that has at least had restricted teambuilding. Not using affection bonuses is in a similar category to using Set battle style, they're both mechanics that neither the multiplayer nor the battle facilities allow, and are pretty easy to avoid in a playthrough. So now even if I wanted to use it, I now have an extra reason not to.

I don't think it needs to be cut fully. I do want it easily ignorable, and unfortunately that's gotten a lot harder with the discussion about where the resources went into gen 8. I guess that makes gen 8 camp so bad it caused me to stop what little I was doing with the previous versions of the system, since the dex cut is the most prominent reason I went away from gen 8. Well, for the actual games anyway. I don't play gen 8 showdown because of Boots.

I like these features. My favorite is Refresh, followed by Amie, and lastly Camp. I have to admit that I mostly only use them (or at least Amie/Refresh) for the bonuses they give in battle. While the features in themselves are pretty fun, I'm not sure if I would use them all that much if they didn't give any battle bonuses. I pretty much never use them for Pokémon that I am not going to use for anything specific in battle. I did use Amie a little for certain Pokémon in Gen 6 because I wanted to see how they could be interacted with, but that's about it.

But I still think these features are great. Just having the ability to interact with your Pokémon on a larger scale like this is fantastic. I think it does the whole interaction thing way better than what any past games did, notably the following Pokémon in HG/SS which I have always found extremely overrated, I don't think it did the whole "interaction" thing very well at all. Amie/Refresh/Camp are much better IMO.

I don't know how many players appreciate these features, though that's because I don't really know a whole lot of other Pokémon fans IRL (most of my friends are either former Pokémon fans or were never Pokémon fans to begin with). I don't see a lot of discussions about them on forums or other online sites either. That said, I remember back from when X/Y were new that Amie was very popular and it seemed like a lot of players liked it (from what I saw among Pokémon fans online). Not so sure about Refresh and Camp though. If anything, they might have been less liked. I remember that I once saw one person complain about Refresh because it didn't feature the minigames (or any replacements for them) that Amie had.

Personally, I like Refresh the best. The reason being that it goes very quickly to maximize the affection of a Pokémon with it. Only 2 rainbow beans as well as a little petting, and we're done. Next is Amie, which is similar, but the fact that you need to play the minigames in order to get the best Poké Puffs (or any Poké Puffs at all? Been a while since I played Gen 6 so I don't really remember) makes it take a lot longer to complete raising the affection of a Pokémon with it. Lastly, there's Camp, which is my least favorite simply because I find it less entertaining, and I haven't used it as much as the others. This is partly because my interest in Pokémon is currently not as high as it was during Gen 6-7, but also because I haven't found a way to use Camp as efficiently as Amie or Refresh. Though I have to admit that I haven't really tried that much either. But I still appreciate the thought behind it and I wouldn't say Camp is downright bad, I just don't find it to be as great as its predecessors were.

As for the Camp animations being the reason for dexit, I don't really approve of that. If anything, I think that they should either not have had Camp at all but kept Refresh (or something simpler than Camp that required less animations), or had Camp but with fewer animations so that they could have featured all Pokémon, or they should just have delayed the game until animations were done for all Pokémon so that dexit wouldn't have been a thing at all. But since they have shown that they are willing to add more Pokémon to the games as time goes on (mainly with the Expansion Pass), I am willing to forgive them for dexit if they end up adding all Pokémon to the games eventually. Not sure if that will happen though.

On the whole, I think this feature should be kept in future games and improved upon. It should also stay optional so that those who don't want to use it don't need to. I have an idea for how I would make it perfect when it comes to my personal tastes, not sure if I'm allowed to say it here though since it might count as wishlisting. But I would at least start by going back to Refresh since it was my favorite, and build upon the feature from there. Though there are some features from Amie and Camp that I think should be kept as well.

And I'll take the chicken, please. I actually had chicken for dinner earlier, it was great.

Anyway, those are my quick thoughts on these features.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really like these features imo but maybe that's just me. As someone who really likes X and Y I used Amie a lot in the post game after I completed the main story and it's really cute! I found it super enjoyable to feed my Pokémon Poké Puffs and watch them interact as I petted them and tried to make faces. I think the 3D models helped make the mons really lively and expressive in an Amie setting.

As Lemingue said, I do want minigames to be brought back to these features though. One thing that makes Amie my personal favorite of the three so far is the existence of the minigames. Berry Picker, Head It, and Tile Puzzle were so much fun! I really enjoyed playing the little minigames when I used Amie and trying to beat my personal records each time. This is mainly because I love minigames in general (Pokéathlon in HGSS, Contests in the Hoenn and Sinnoh games, and outside of Pokémon I loved the minigames Super Mario 64 DS and NSMB DS had!!!) but Amie having minigames added a lot of fun playtime to X and Y and I loved that feature of it so much!

I think Pokémon Camp had a nice idea in concept where you interact with your whole team and you see all your mons not just interacting with you, but with each other. I think the execution leaves quite a bit of room for improvement, but the idea of interacting with your whole team of mons was neat and camping out with them really helps to establish bonds with your group at large and seeing your mons either play with each other or not get along is quite interesting and brings a lot of life to your team. I adore seeing how many people post the interactions their mons have in Camp on Twitter every now and then, especially back when SwSh released, and I got to witness interactions not just from my own playing, but through Twitter I see many other players (including some of my friends) post their Camp interactions and those are all really cute! Especially since the Switch lets you take screenshots and small videos and post them to Twitter, it allowed many players to post these on there and seeing other people's Camp moments is quite wholesome, and in many ways, also incredibly funny when certain things happen.

That being said, though...

What I do not like is that it's tied with game-breaking mechanics. If there were some sort of way to not have such mechanics when using Amie/Refresh/Camp, I might use it more often.
Yeeeah, I totally get where you're coming from here.

I understand the concept behind it: the Amie/Refresh/Camp helps make the bond between you and your Pokémon stronger and really pushes that they are your friends and partners, and the mechanics in-battle they add making them more powerful basically is meant to emphasize that the bond between you and your mons is so strong that they are super loyal to you and will battle to their utmost, even endure a hit, just for you.

Unfortunately that does in many ways trivialize the game. The other way to possibly get around this is to make the games legit harder and more challenging, but since Pokémon games are not, and were never, meant to be difficult, that's questionable. Sun and Moon (and USUM for that matter) were legitimately challenging so I sort of let it slide there, but in a case like Sword and Shield where there are many ways to make the game easier it really sticks out.

Because of this I usually reserve the Amie/Refresh/Camp for the post-game since I don't have many battles to trivialize there and iirc I don't think the mechanics attached to them are present in multiplayer or in the battle facilities so I have nothing to lose in using it after I've completed the main campaign.

I'm going to agree with the people who don't like the busted ass benefits here. Affection bonuses are absurd and Pokemon Refresh allowing you to skip using healing items is dumb. So I don't use these mechanics. I dislike these bonuses that come from these mechanics so much that I basically tell people who play my UM hack to not use them (and since it's a hard mode hack, yeah, I really don't want people breaking the difficulty). To this end, I made Sylveon just evolve from a Shiny Stone instead of needing Refresh (also makes it less grindy, I guess). Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I could turn off the benefits, but since Gamefreak hates toggles for busted ass mechanics (see the Exp. Share and removing its toggle in Gen 8), yeah.... And you also can't lose Affection with a Mon (without save edits), so also "yeah".... I don't use them. Kind of feel like an asshole to my Mons for that, but the loss of any sort of difficulty stops me from feeling too bad.

There's just been too many busted ass mechanics since Gen 6 and I hate it...

kolohe

room tone
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
i like the game breaking mechanics lol it makes me feel special to see my pokemon live on one hp because it loves me so much. breaking through poison out of sheer will?? BECAUSE YOU LOVE ME?? i must be hella cool.

also ye agree w/ lemingue i want MINIGAMES. camp is pretty boring and it sucks that its played up so much in game because there is really nothing to do besides taking photos (which are also disappointing, give us a photo booth gamefreak!!)

I really enjoyed these features. They make the Pokemon feel much more like companions than just data bits. I like Amie the most, since I was a sucker for the minigames. The "Head it" game particular, I maxed out at the highest score on the final level. I was pretty disappointed to learn that they were removed in Refresh, but the cleaning features I enjoyed a lot since it makes Pokemon feel more like companions since you are cleaning them up after a battle. But the best part was petting your Pokémon. It always made me so happy to see the Pokemon interact to your petting. Special points to the Amaura family, their sails change color to represent their moods when you pet them.

That's a big reason why I don't like Camp that much. I really miss petting your Pokemon. I would have prefered they kept it, since they could have used motion controls for TV mode and touch screen for docked. I don't find curry that interesting either, particularly the way they "animate" the Pokemon eating the curry, or rather, they hold invisible food in mouths and play one of the camp animations again. Both Refresh and Amie had your Pokemon actually eating the food you gave them. And I don't see the point of making curry either for EXP or Health when you can go to a Pokémon Center and for free and get your Pokémon healed fully consistently for the latter, and why use Curry over EXP Candy large; since the latter can get you to level 60 in roughly two to three pieces over the former which requires high quality ingredients to get a high enough increase. I just reeks of being rushed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
  1. What do you think of the Pokemon Amie/Refresh/Camp feature?
  2. Is it something you use frequently?
  3. How many people do you know which appreciate this feature?
  4. Do you think is valuable enough to validate the dex cut?
  5. Which will you order the chicken or the fish?
  6. Finally should this feature be improved in future games or cut out altogether?
1. I like the concept. Amie was a good start; Refresh was an evolution but had dropped features like mini-games which made Amie more than just a "caring simulator"; finally Camp I see what they were going for and do like they tossed Affection and now use just Friendship, but it did feel like a step back as it dropped even more features (notably able to heal your Pokemon of status ailments) and the curry cooking takes longer than I would like it to (not to mention being another "guide dang it" as well as trying to force multiplayer aspects to get the best rewards). Each one of them had good ideas... now they just need to combine those ideas together which we know GF is very reluctant to do.

2. No, not really. At least not after the main game. During the main game I try to give each of my Pokemon some care after important battles but sometimes I either forget or just get on with the game. Camp gave me an even bigger reason not to as you have to do the extra step of getting your Pokemon's attention, I just end up going immediately to making Curry to raise all their Friendship and then move on.

3. Lets see, 1, 2, 3... I think 7 others who post on here has essentially said they liked it?

4. On its own, no. Had it been only a PART of the improvements and also worked on rebalancing stats, movepools, Abilities, evolution levels, etc. than I would be more inclined to say yes. But for the SOLE reason why it felt lackluster and GF's priorities needed some straightening out.

5. Where's the beef?

6. "Improved". There are some people who love it, some people who like it but eventually stop using it, and some people who hate it. What do all three of these groups have in common? GF has to find a way to appease all of them. Improving this feature (we need a collective name for them, Caring Sim?) just doesn't mean tacking on new mechanics and improving old ones, it also means making sure those who use it feels like its worth it, to make those who want to use it have a reason to & easy to do so, and those who don't like it can easily ignore it without missing out. Sounds impossible? Nothing is impossible, it's just hard and compromises will have to be made (mostly for those who don't like it as GF's ideology is if they put it into the game than they intend on the majority to use it). So, let's get into the nitty gritty:

the feature has proved popular enough to even be ported to Pokemon Go
Let's start there: much like many other features, they could probably easily separate the Caring Sim and make it its own app. Or at the very least connect it to HOME which they seemingly want to make it a hub for your out-of-game needs. It would be much more easier to update than having it in the game, plus can probably do much more with. Remember the Pokemon Dream World, what if they combined it with that (maybe also with a little bit of Camp and the Poke Pelago so that you can have multiple Pokemon) so that you'll have a home base to decorate and can go on adventures. It'll be like the PokeWalker minus the easily losable device.

Gen 6's amie was the best simply because it had minigames. We should bring those back
I was surprised to see the mini-games were removed as they weren't the most complex games in the world, infact I'd argue they could have probably made better ones. Like what? Well, the classics never hurt, and can easily be retooled to get you supplies/ingredients to use within the Caring Sim. Play a version of centipede where you're collecting berries/ingredients in various locations, a match 3 game which increases the amounts of berries/ingredients you collect, a quick game of breakout or galaga against other Pokemon who want/have taken your berries/ingredients and upon winning gets yours back and some of theirs. Simple & quick mini-games that have small but notable impact on making using the Caring Sim easier.

I do want it easily ignorable, and unfortunately that's gotten a lot harder with the discussion about where the resources went into gen 8.
Another reason why a more "complex" version probably should be made its own map. There should be one in the game obviously, but it shouldn't be something which actively takes away resources and development of other parts of the game. In the main games, as much as I like the concept, it is JUST A BONUS feature. Something to be done to maybe make your Pokemon look nicer and get some passive benefits (we'll talk about that), make a stronger bond with the packet of data; but as soon as you're affecting main game quality you've made it somewhat of a problem which you've cut lesser complex features (Musicals) or similar indepth features (Contest) for.

I have to admit that I mostly only use them (or at least Amie/Refresh) for the bonuses they give in battle. While the features in themselves are pretty fun, I'm not sure if I would use them all that much if they didn't give any battle bonuses. I pretty much never use them for Pokémon that I am not going to use for anything specific in battle.
What I do not like is that it's tied with game-breaking mechanics. If there were some sort of way to not have such mechanics when using Amie/Refresh/Camp, I might use it more often.
And we've come to a tightrope moment. One likes the bonuses, another doesn't. Both must be appeased. Now, we could do what Lemingue suggested: "I feel like an option to let them activate in battle or not would be good". That would seem like the best solution, best of both worlds: those who want the bonuses can have them while those who don't but want to use the Caring Sim can just turn them off. Still, I do feel there needs to be at least some adjusting down with the bonuses. In my opinion, and others seem to agree, they're just TOO powerful. And I do think, if they do decrease the power (or just get rid of some), that those who aren't using the feature now may be okay using it. Let's go over some of them:
  • Enduring Attacks: So pretty much the biggest "cheat" benefit. While I'll admit it has saved me (notably my Cinderace when facing against Leon's Charizard, giving it the big knock out move letting me become Champion) and feels like an epic moment where my partner fought through its pain so we can be victorious!... BUT there's also the nagging feeling of did I truly deserve it because I showed my partner a lot of care or did I just RNG lucked out? Because, even though it felt epic, I also wasn't going to lose to Leon cause all my other Pokemon were fine and dandy, many whom could easily take out Charizard with a super effective move (but I wanted to kick a fireball into its face). So, I think adding another requirement to this could help even it out, like for that turn your Pokemon should be using a Status Move and/or they should be using a STAB move, something which is both specific but also not out of the ordinary. And/Or, the Pokemon stays in with 1 HP, but it forces you to switch it out because for taking the hit it now needs a quick breather. Either something more specific, or a small "penalty" for it happening which semi-reflect what would have actually happened.
  • Status Ailment Recovery: I'm fine with it shaking off Sleep & Confusion and breaking out of a Freeze early; I can see that happening. But shaking off a Paralysis, Poison, or Burn? Not sure about that. Now, I could see it maybe negating the effects of them for one turn (Paralysis doesn't skip turn & half Speed, Poison doesn't decrease HP, Burn doesn't decrease HP & half Attack). Maybe even allow it to happen for 2 turns in a row, 50% chance of happening for a 3rd turn, 25% on a 4th, etc. until it fails and your Pokemon is under the full affects again. I also wouldn't have it happen again until maybe it's HP is lowered to a certain percentage/threshold.
  • Avoid Attacks: We already have enduring which isn't as OP, I say toss it. Either that or introduce a new "Dodge" command which normally has a low chance of working but with a higher friendship increases.
  • Increased Critical Hit: I can see it, once again with maybe some more restriction. Like, you have to use a same move at least two times in a row, it won't have a chance of activating on a first attempt. Or maybe only have it happen if the opponent has an increased Defense/Special Defense stat or your Pokemon has a lowered Attack/Special Attack stat for that "overcoming underdog" feeling.
  • Sent Out of Pokeball Animation: I don't think they look back at the player anymore, but a Pokemon with Friendship will now hop around. This animation plays AFTER the sending out animation. No. Either make it so the Pokemon is doing the animation as its being sent out or let us turn off that animation. Or, make it an idle pose that doesn't freeze my controls for a couple of seconds.
However I feel it could have done some other features (or a new benefit to high Friendship) that would make it more enticing:
  • Clean Pokemon: As you play and care for them their colors would look more vibrant or bold or something to show you've been taking care of them that isn't them giving you a side eye glance or hopping around. Maybe make their animations a little faster or more announced/elaborate to show that they're feeling good. NOW, I wouldn't suggest the opposite, I wouldn't suggest having Pokemon become "dirty" and less colorful/active unless cared for. This more vibrant/bold color &/or hyper movements is just something for high Friendship which you can only get through the Caring Sim. Maybe even makes Shiny sparkles even more dazzling.
  • Lower Level Evolution (& Early Move Learning): NOW, this doesn't replace them being required to at least go through the Pokemon in the regional dex and adjusting levels so they evolve at a more understandable point in the game they're in, BUT also wouldn't hurt if the friendlier you are with a Pokemon it can then evolve earlier (it's something we see done many times in the anime, why not replicate it in the games?). Maybe even let them learn some Moves early.
  • After Battle Remedy: While the in-battle affects at the moment are a bit strong, moving some to outside of battle I think would be acceptable. A fainted Pokemon coming back with 1 HP, Pokemon curing themselves of Paralysis/Poison/Burn, maybe recovering a little HP/PP. Trying to make it so you don't have to waste supplies outside of battle, you can keep going and it'll be a bit less worse for wear when the next battle rolls around.
  • Friendlier With Other Pokemon: Making friends is nice, so how about spreading the love? First would obviously be with making Catches easier; maybe have it so under certain conditions, like if they're matching Types or Egg Groups, it lowers their catch rate. Another idea is that they make other Pokemon in your party more friendlier with you, maybe even make it so that you can increase a Pokemon's Friendship to a higher than normal level without using the Caring Sim with them (that way encouraging a little bit of use for the overall greater whole).
I think Pokémon Camp had a nice idea in concept where you interact with your whole team and you see all your mons not just interacting with you, but with each other. I think the execution leaves quite a bit of room for improvement.
Sorry to cut you off, but wanted to use this as a springboard for my next suggestion.

Indeed, I like seeing my Pokemon interacting with one another, BUT there are times I also just want to interact with one of my Pokemon. So, while certainly keep the Pokemon able to interact with one another, I think they should also let you have 1:1 sessions with chosen Pokemon you do so just by selecting them from your Pokemon team menu. Make it quick and snappy, all I want to do is pet, play, groom, and feed a few Pokemon so I don't need them all running about trying to get the attention of the one I want. Essentially what I'm saying bring back Refresh though Camp can still exist for a more expansive immersion. Can add little bonuses to each too if they want like a 1:1 will increase their points faster but playing in Camp will make multiple Pokemon increase their points.

Where's the beef?
Beef curry is yucky -:<

Or at the very least connect it to HOME which they seemingly want to make it a hub for your out-of-game needs. It would be much more easier to update than having it in the game, plus can probably do much more with. Remember the Pokemon Dream World, what if they combined it with that (maybe also with a little bit of Camp and the Poke Pelago so that you can have multiple Pokemon) so that you'll have a home base to decorate and can go on adventures. It'll be like the PokeWalker minus the easily losable device.
See now this an idea
I'd much rather have battles available through HOME, even if they're with no animation and using only party mini icons, but if Gamefreak doesn't want to give us that, have HOME give us some way to interact with our pokemon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)