move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hydro Pump
item: Choice Specs
ability: Perish Body
nature: Modest
evs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Cursola makes for a passable wallbreaker thanks to its high Special Attack stat and good coverage moves. However, it is strictly outclassed by Dragapult and Aegislash due to its absolutely horrible Speed, rendering it unable to outspeed common walls like Corviknight, Clefable, and Mandibuzz, and inability to switch into any attacks due to its lack of useful resistances. The combination of Ice Beam and Earth Power pretty much covers everything that Shadow Ball doesn't, like Hydreigon, Kommo-o, and Tyranitar. Earth Power in particular allows Cursola to have a high chance to OHKO Toxapex and always 2HKO Flareon. Hydro Pump gives Cursola a high chance to OHKO Rotom-H and uninvested Tyranitar after Stealth Rock. The given Speed EVs allow Cursola to outspeed Reuniclus and Toxapex.

Thanks to its high Special Attack and coverage moves, Cursola can weaken Pokemon like Tyranitar and Mandibuzz, which are common Ghost- and Dark-type answers and act as stops to many cleaners. Therefore, late-game sweepers like Togekiss and Hydreigon are possible partners. Due to Cursola's overwhelmingly low Speed, Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Rotom-W and Dragapult that can help against offense teams are great. While both can bring Cursola in with Volt Switch and U-turn, Rotom-W can weaken physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, and Dragapult can form an offensive Ghost-type core with it, overwhelming even Dark-types like Tyranitar and Grimmsnarl. Cursola can also fit on a dedicated Trick Room team, so setters and other attackers like Hatterene and Copperajah are also good partners.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[xapx, 406162]]
- Quality checked by: [[Mannat, 144451], [TPP, 260369]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, internet connection was poor and near none this week. Ready for qc 1 now

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
xapx You're really going to need to expand more on why Cursola isn't very good at the start of the analysis since it's worse than specs dragapult/gengar most of the time and this should be fairly negative in tone.
Alternatively, one can take a more offensive approach by double switching into Pokemon like Dracovish and Toxtricity and wreak havoc.
This line seems kinda out of place and this is a slow breaker itself so stacking up slow breakers usually leads to team composition issues unless they have some sort of defensive utility. Also it's worded kinda weird and double switches aren't usually a strong point for teammates in analysis

I'll give u QC 1/2 once u do this and I check over it one more time

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
xapx did you implement Mannat's suggestions?

I'd probably say it's outclassed by Dragapult and Aegislash instead of Gengar since Aegislash is a lot more common/viable than Gengar atm. If you wanted to make it more negative, you could mention that the slow speed stat prevents it from outspeeding common defensive pivots, including Seismitoad, Clefable, Corviknight and Mandibuzz. A wall breaker that wants to break those mons but is slower than those mons will have a hard time getting a 2HKO off without being damaged/forced out in the process.

Just curious, but what does Earth Power hit that Hydro Pump + Shadow Ball + Ice Beam don't hit? You deal about 30% more to Toxapex and Flareon, which mainly matters for Flareon as it has a roll to get 2HKO'd by Shadow Ball. Toxapex on the other hand gets outsped and 2HKO'd by Shadow Ball anyways, but you get a chance to 1HKO with Rocks so who knows. Neither one is mentioned around that part and I think it'd be nice to at least suggest why Earth Power is desired as I don't see a reason to run it aside from what I mentioned earlier.
Thanks to its high Special Attack and coverage moves, Corsola can pressure Pokemon like Tyranitar and Mandibuzz.
I think you could describe/explain why pressuring those 2 mons specifically is a good thing for late game sweepers. Mentioning that Mandibuzz is a common defensive pivot that resists Ghost might be a good start. Weakening a defensive pivot for cleaners sounds efficient and makes the paragraph flow better imo. Your mentioning of Dark-types at the end was a good example of helping readers visualize how Cursola could work.

Finally, this is Cursola, not Corsala, so be sure to check your spelling as I think you misspelled it a few times.

Let me know when this is updated and have a good night!

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Due to Cursola's overwhelmingly low Speed, Pokemon that can help against matchup against offense are great.
While I'm not on the QC or GP teams, here's a small thing I noticed here in regards to grammar. Looks like it was an unfinished part or something?

Reactions: TPP

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add
remove
comments

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hydro Pump
item: Choice Specs
ability: Perish Body
nature: Modest
evs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Cursola makes for a passable wallbreaker thanks to its high Special Attack stat and good coverage moves. However, it is strictly outclassed by Dragapult and Aegislash,(RC) due to its absolutely horrible Speed, rendering it unable to outspeed common walls like Corviknight, Clefable, and Mandibuzz, and inability to switch into any attacks due to its lack of useful resistances. The combination of Ice Beam and Earth Power pretty much covers everything that Shadow Ball doesn't, like Hydreigon, Kommo-o, and Tyranitar. Earth Power in particular allows Cursola to have a high chance to OHKO Toxapex and always 2HKO Flareon. Hydro Pump is the chosen move to have gives Cursola a high chance to OHKO Rotom-H and uninvested Tyranitar after Stealth Rock. The given Speed EVs allow Cursola to outspeed Reuniclus and Toxapex.

Thanks to its high Special Attack and coverage moves, Cursola can weaken Pokemon like Tyranitar and Mandibuzz, which are common Ghost- and Dark-type answers and act as stops to many cleaners. Therefore, late-game sweepers like Togekiss and Hydreigon are possible partners. Due to Cursola's overwhelmingly low Speed, Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Rotom-W and Dragapult that can help with matchup against against offense teams are great. Such Pokemon include Choice Scarf Rotom-W and Dragapult. While both can bring Cursola in with Volt Switch and U-turn respectively, Rotom-W can weaken physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp,(AC) and Dragapult can form a Ghost-spam an offensive Ghost-type core with it, overwhelming even Dark-types like Tyranitar and Grimmsnarl. Cursola can also fit on a dedicated Trick Room team, so setters and abusers other attackers like Hatterene and Copperajah are also good partners.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[xapx, 406162]]
- Quality checked by: [[Mannat, 144451], [TPP, 260369]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

gp 1/1 once done
While I'm not on the QC or GP teams, here's a small thing I noticed here in regards to grammar. Looks like it was an unfinished part or something?
my check should fix this issue

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Was just looking through the OP, and something struck me as odd that I feel like I should about.
Earth Power in particular allows Cursola to have a high chance to OHKO Toxapex and always 2HKO Flareon.
Why is Flareon written in this? Wouldn't more relevant Ground-weak Pokemon be ones like Excadrill, Toxtricity, Dracozolt, etc? Seems odd to have an RU (and likely lower) mon here. Is it the special bulk (65 HP 110 SpD)?

Thanks user Rabia and LL and TPP.
This is ready for upload.

I'd also like to use this post as sort of a farewell due to real life commitments, and I've enjoyed my short period of time in Smogon. I might come back after getting in uni, who knows.
P.S. if u check MPert or Zyg10% for SM analyses just pm me on discord and I'll implement the check, thanks!

Also shoutouts to these great ppl: curi lyd Jordy Leo Rabia TDP sl42 Finch Lotus Excal Fireflame Electrolyte

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)