everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
1520013715036.png
1520013676858.png
1520014888265.png
1520013663386.png
1520013730885.png
1520013745097.png

I have been playing doubles ou for a couple years now and I believe this team is the pinnacle of my building and is very good in general.

1520013810777.png

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Protect

I decided to start my build around one of my favorite pokemon, the scaly dragon Kommo-o. raWr xD. With the use of its z move it can boost all of its stats and provide lots of offensive pressure. It is used to punch holes in team so that the other mons have an easier time breaking through. I have clanging scales to hit hard and flash cannon and flamethrower are used to hit steels and fairies that would resist clanging scales. Overcoat lets this mon avoid spore and take no damage in tyrantar's sand

1520013819675.png

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Protect
Kommo-o has a big weakness to fairy types so i decided to add a strong steel type to help munch them up. It can be super fast when sand is up and can fire off powerful hits. This mon helps to break steels and fairies for Kommo-o and can use sd to help beat intimidaters like landorus-t and salamence.

1520014871257.png

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
Tyranitar gives the team another wincon and something else for mew to transform into. Dragon dance lets it become faster and stronger and being mega let's it reset weather vs. rain teams. Rock slide is used to chunk bulky flyings like zapdos and salamence and crunch helps vs bulky psychics like bronzong and cresselia.
1520013843703.png

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Happiness: 0
EVs: 196 HP / 40 Atk / 244 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Belly Drum
- Frustration
- Fire Punch
- Recycle

I didn't know where to go from here so I decided to add the best and most reliable mon in the meta, and it worked out great. Snorlax acts as a trick room check and with the assistance of mew and victini can easily sweep teams. The former three members are used to try and take out mons that could stop snorlax from setting up such as dragon tail kyurem-black. Snorlax's great bulk allow it to stay alive long and it can kill almost everything after a belly drum

1520013856464.png

Mew @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Transform
- Trick Room

Mew helps the team out with a growing fighting weakness by resisting fighting hits. Mew 's fake out allows both kommo-o and snorlax to set up and then transform lets mew become just as threatining as they are. U-turn can be used to pivot and win weather wars, and trick room is used to help snorlax sweep.

1520013869545.png

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 176 HP / 80 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Final Gambit

The final member of the team is victini. This pokemon helps to quickly eliminate problematic pokemon for the team with a fast final gamit. Bolt strike and v-create provide nice coverage and help to bust through steels and bulky waters respectively. Finally this pokemon creates a nice pivot core with mew that can allow the team to have exactly the positioning it needs.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesoususpecttest-711965547
here's an example of how the team works. I have tested this team on the ladder and I have won 6-0 every game I have played with it and it peaked 77 on the ladder, so it must be very good, but any help that can be provided is appreciated.

credits elise for the title

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi laptops! I think Kommo-o is a pretty cool Pokemon in general and I find it interesting that you decided to build a team around it. Unfortunately, the team seems to be kind of all over the place; on the one hand, you have the Kommo-o + Sand core, which is all about going fast, but on the other hand, the Snorlax/Mew core operates best in Trick Room. Here's some changes that could improve the team by editing the latter half of the team!

First of all, I'd consider some minor move changes, like changing Earthquake to Drill Run on Excadrill. The rest of your team has no Ground-type resists as of now, though I'll suggest one later, which makes Earthquake pretty annoying to use; Drill Run also comes with the benefit of getting around Wide Guard, though obviously not having a spread move is a real bummer. The other move change you could consider is dropping Flash Cannon for Close Combat on Kommo-o. Even with Flash Cannon and boosted, Kommo-o doesn't pose much of a threat to most Fairy-types, doing at most about 70% with it before it's KOd in return. I think Close Combat would make a valuable replacement here, as it can help to break through important defensive threats like Snorlax, Scrafty, and Kyurem-B (especially under Misty Terrain). If you don't want to go with a mixed EV spread, Focus Blast could potentially work but it's far weaker against Snorlax and has that annoying 30% chance to miss. Meanwhile, Excadrill is more than capable of making up for the Fairy-type weakness this creates in this set.

Moreover, I think it could be helpful to drop Snorlax for Amoonguss, which notably also helps with the Fairy-type weakness the earlier Kommo-o change created. As it stands, your first three Pokemon share a huge weakness to Tapu Fini, which can lower the damage output of Clangorous Soulblaze and then OHKO Kommo-o; furthermore, it doesn't take much damage from Tyranitar or Excadrill but hits them both super-effectively. Amoonguss provides a Tapu Fini check as it can run Sludge Bomb to hit it super-effectively or even Clear Smog to remove any Calm Mind boosts it might gain, while it resists both of Tapu Fini's STAB moves. Additionally, it maintains this slot's status as a soft check to semi-Trick Room teams, as Spore can either prevent Trick Room from being set or can put foes to sleep under your opponent's Trick Room. Most importantly, though, Amoonguss provides redirection support to aid your setup sweepers (Z-Move Kommo-o, SD Excadrill, DD Tyranitar), as it makes it much easier to get a key boost off so that you have a much more feasible way to successfully boost and sweep and opposing team as intended.

Next, in the same vein, I'd personally drop Victini for Heat Wave Zapdos. Heat Wave Zapdos maintains the same Electric/Fire coverage as Victini, but it gains STAB on the Electric-type move instead of the Fire-type move. I think this is more optimal for your team because, as mentioned earlier, it helps more to patch the Tapu Fini weakness your team has going. On the other hand, Steel-types are already heavily threatened by Excadrill's Earthquake and to a lesser extent Kommo-o's Flamethrower / Close Combat, so having a ridiculously strong Fire-type move isn't that valuable on this team—in fact, you could even use Hidden Power Ice over Heat Wave in order to deal large damage to Landorus-T and Zygarde, which are both natural checks to Sand cores. Zapdos also brings Tailwind over Victini's Final Gambit—I do think Final Gambit makes sense on this team, but I also think Tailwind would be a much more universally helpful move in a lot more situations whereas Victini's Final Gambit is rather situational. Plus, the amount of power the Kommo-o + Sand core brings with its three boosting moves is probably sufficient to break through most threats, so Final Gambit isn't needed as much. Finally, Zapdos also brings with it a Ground-type immunity, which is not only helpful for the team's matchup against opposing Landorus-T, but also gives Excadrill something to Earthquake next to.

As a result of dropping Snorlax and Victini, Mew also needs to be changed as its Trick Room / Transform set shines best next to Snorlax. You could feasibly go about this in one of two ways: firstly, you could change Mew to a faster Transform set. This would allow it to synergise well with your own Kommo-o / Excadrill / Tyranitar, all of which could set up with the help of Mew's Fake Out, and then provide a strong target for Mew to copy with Transform before punishing your opponent with two strong sweepers on the field at once. In this case, you could use a set like Fake Out / Transform / Ice Beam / Taunt—the last two slots are pretty flexible, but in this case Ice Beam snipes Landorus-T, which threatens your Sand core, while Taunt helps to prevent opposing Trick Room, Spore, redirection, and other moves which could get in the way of a setup + Transform combination.

The other way you could take Mew is to completely swap Mew for Tapu Bulu. This gives you a way to remove Tapu Fini's annoying Misty Terrain, letting Kommo-o hit harder, while also providing a strong offensive presence on the field to heavily threaten the team's #1 enemy Tapu Fini. Additionally, Grassy Terrain lowers the damage from opposing Earthquakes, which makes life much easier for Excadrill and Tyranitar; and finally, with a Meadow Plate or even a Choice Band, Tapu Bulu has the brute power to muscle its way through soft checks to your Sand core, such as Scrafty and Landorus-T, which all take huge damage from a Wood Hammer in Grassy Terrain. Tapu Bulu also fits well on this team because a lot of common checks to it, such as Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross, and Mega Gengar are all heavily threatened by Excadrill, Tyranitar, or both.

Summary of changes:
  • Excadrill: Earthquake → Drill Run
  • Kommo-o: Flash Cannon → Close Combat
  • Snorlax → Amoonguss
  • Victini → Zapdos (Heat Wave or Hidden Power Ice)
  • Mew → faster set OR Mew → Tapu Bulu
Overall I tried to make the back half of the team gel better with the front half; while Victini / Snorlax / Mew is certainly a strong core—perhaps even stronger than the other half of the team—it's best played on a team which is more focused around Snorlax to better support a Snorlax sweep. Hope I could help with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)