Cya!! It's for the best.

Hey guys! This is my first RMT!

Overview
After a long time, I finally decided to post a team that I used at the Fall Regs. I remember that this team did pretty well in the beginning of the season but as the metagame started to develop, the team started to fall. After looking back at it, I realized that this team has a numerous flaws that need to be fixed. I am most likely not gonna be using this team at Nats but I want to see how this team could be improved.

The Team
As you can see, this team is a obvious trick room team. Before making the team, my main goal was to abuse Eruption to the max. I started with Heatran + Drought Ninetales but after several testings on PO, I transitioned into this team.
(Red font means all the changes I am thinking of making)

The Old Stuff

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Eruption
- Flash Cannon -> Hidden Power Ice?
- Earth Power
- Protect
The pokemon that started everything. I really liked Heatran because of the damage Eruption could do with a Helping Hand bonus. It could OHKO a lot of mons that did not resist it. I chose Air Balloon > Shuca because of the fact that I was using Eruption. I am thinking of changing Flash Cannon to Hidden Power Ice because of the coverage. Usually, Earth Power could hit anything that Flash Cannon could hit.

/me(Cresselia) (F) @ Mental Herb

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Light Screen
- Helping Hand
My main mon that sets up trick room. I decided to go with Light Screen > Reflect because the metagame is filled with more Sp Attackers. As you can notice, most of my mons have a more defensive EV set. This was because I didn't want my mons to have an Uber Sp Def and normal Def after Light Screen. Helping Hand was to boost spread moves and Psychic is general. I went with Mental Herb > Sitrus because I wanted to have a very safe play with my trick room.

Hariyama (M) @ Flame Orb

Trait: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
I would say that Hariyama was my MVP of my team. I wanted partner my Cresselia with a Fake Out to make it easier to use Trick Room. Close Combat w/ Guts and Helping Hand does MAJOR damage. It OHKOs a bunch of bs crap your opponent has. Rock Slide was for coverage.

360NoScope (Abomasnow) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 148 HP / 108 Def / 252 SAtk
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

I added Abomasnow for type coverage. This mon protected Heatran from ground mons. Most of the moves are standard. I chose focus sash to prevent my Abomosnow from being OHKO'ed.

NachoCheez (Metagross) @ Occa Berry
-->???
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 SDef
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head --> Meteor Mash?
- Earthquake
After finishing the first part of my team, I realized that my team had a major weakness fighting. This was one of my counters to fighting mons. Ice Punch and Earthquake were for coverage. I am thinking about changing Iron Head to Meteor Mash because of the damage. Zen Headbutt is for fighting coverage. Occa Berry was just because I couldn't think of any other item. I am thinking of changing it to Steel Gem or Life orb. I actually cannot remember my reasoning behind the EVs but I think it was like that because Metagross already has a strong Defense.

Amoonguss (F) @ Coba Berry

Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Protect
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
This was my main counter to other trick room teams. Amoonguss was another good lead with Cresselia making it easier to set up Trick Room. I really like the Sp Def set from VGC 2011 and I decided to use it again.

The NEW team

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
- Eruption --> Heat Wave?
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power
- Protect

/me(Cresselia) (F) @ Mental Herb
--> Sitrus?
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Light Screen
- Helping Hand

Hariyama (M) @ Flame Orb

Trait: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Gastrodon (M) @ Rindo Berry

Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Def / 60 SAtk / 156 SDef
- Ice Beam --> Muddy Water?
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Stockpile

NachoCheez (Metagross) @ Steel Gem
--> Choice Band
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 SDef
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head --> Meteor Mash?
- Bullet Punch

Porygon2 (F) @ Eviolite

Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef --> Diff Evs?
Relaxed Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room

Flaws
-Only one Trick Room User (Fixed)
-Weak to Hitmontop (Kind of fixed. Not a big problem anymore)
-Same exact lead for each battle (Fixed)
-Guts Burn + Hail damage does major damage on Hariyama (Fixed)
-EVs on Porygon2
-Iron Head or Meteor Mash on Metagross
-Heat Wave or Eruption on Heatran

Some little tweaks would help.

Lets start off with metagross, You should go for meteor mash. He needs protect to survive a little longer. Maybe try to replace eq with it since you already got hairyama and heatran to deal with the steel types.

I think cofagrigus or rueniclus (or jellicent) would be a good choice for a second TR user.

If hail + burn does more damage on hairyama, try gastrodon, oh man that thing is a beast. It can survive almost any attack (grass types is his only weakness). Go for rindo berry on him, and here is a set:

Gastrodon item: rindo berry
nature: storm drain
trait: bold or calm
evs: 244 hp, 56 def, 60 sp. atk, 150 sp. def
moves:
Stockpile
Recover
Muddy water
Earth power

For all the help you have done for my teams, I feel obligated to do the same!

Heatran: Whenever I used him he seemed far better in theory then he ended up being. Unless the Def EVs are to live something kinda specific, I would put them in HP. Once he hits the flo' after an attack, EQ can OHKO him with ease and Hitmontop will do the same. The Def Evs don't help for too much, nto sure how many you need to avoid a 2HKO from TTar's Low Kick but in my Heatran experience that's what always got me.

Cresselia: I am probably the only one that doesn't like Cresselia as a TR setter, but that's my beef. Moveset looks decent, but if an opponent decides to try to stall TR out they will get the benefit of stalling Light Screen out also. Having greater Def then SpDef as a team and averaging them better through Light Screen is clever. Mental Herb's usefulness falls at the same time as Taunt's popularity, I don't see Taunt as a lead move against TR when I use it too often.

Hariyama: Pretty basic moveset and EV set, because Hariyama already has HUGE HP you don't get that much of a boost percentage-wise by investing EVs in it. The same can be said for Cress. Except Hariyama's defenses benefit more with EVs then Cress's, cause her's are already high. Flame Orb's damage can be an issue unless you have a way of healing it off, like Conkeldurr with Drain Punch. Another benefit to stalling against this team. If Cress/Hariyama is a lead you like, remember that Chandelure is almost guaranteed to be brought in against it.

Abomasnow: Because of his Sash, it's not like the HP EVs and especialy Def EVs have quite the use they would otherwise. They could be put into Attack for a stronger Ice Shard if TR is down and you need the priority. With no investment that does not hit too hard at all.

Metagross: The item you want to use will help determine the moveset. Steel Gem can be really amazing, guaranteed OHKO on TTar(though Sash is popular these days, hail can help with that) and Latios. Steel Gem Bullet Punch is very powerful priority, dealing about half to Latios and a good deal to other things as well. Ice Punch along with Steel Gem is a bit repetitive, Steel Gem Meteor Mash gets pretty much the same OHKO's Ice Punch does, just not Garchomp who likes Yache anyways. Occa I have never tried, but would help with Chandelure. Your EV spread seems like it could give a very good chance, if not guarantee, survival from non-Fire Gem Heat Wave.

Amoonguss: Standard set, the item is the only part I could complain about. Coba doesn't stop Acrobatics from 2HKOing, and even Gem HP Flying won't OHKO you without it. It can stop HP Flying from 2HKOing, yet that isn't terrifically common. Sitrus works well against many things, the sudden boost of HP tends to outclass the slow regain provided by Black Sludge.

This team has a big weakness to Chandelure. Heatran can come in on a Fire type move and pick up a boost, but not much else stands a chance. Earthquake off of Metagross fails to OHKO without Helping Hand boost, I think the same stands for Hariyama's Rock Slide.

Metagross will not be a pleasant fight either. If Trick Room is up, Heatran should be able to deal with him through Eruption, be cautious of any HP you have lost that would lower its power. Metagross will get Heatran with EQ if the Balloon gets popped, I would certainly recommend Shuca if you didn't have Eruption.

A second TR setter is practically a necessity. It can be predicted Cress will be one of your leads as it stands, and they will have less trouble effectively making their own lead in return. Whichever of the other members that does the least for the team should be rotated out. Slowking might be an ideal replacement, walling Metagross with ease, taking Chandelure's Shadow Balls, and if you are worried enough about Hitmontop Slowking deals with him well.

Like they say, another TR setter is needed, I would suggest:

Porygon2@Eviolite
Trait: Trace (with this, Chandelure can be dealed)
Nature: Relaxed (252 HP, 252 HP, 4 SpD)
-Trick Room
-Thunderbolt
-Recover/Ice Beam
-Magic Coat/Protect

You can run a Quiet nature and use the Def's Ev's on SpA instead. The ice/electric neutral coverage is helpful here. Magic Coat it's situational for Taunt and Protect can be a better option. Think that if Porygon2 traces Chandelure's Flash Fire, you will be almost inmune to him and you can take him with some Thunderbolts.

Some of my observations about the team/improvements I can suggest:

Heatran: Yeah, I agree that 252 should be put up in HP, for general survivability. Definitely replace Flash Canon with HP Ice, Flash Canon has horrid coverage, and HP Ice hits more.
Metagross: With all attacking moves on it, I would suggest Banding that Metagross of yours. It gives it a huge boost of power, and has been relatively good when I've used it.

I generally think someone on your team needs to go in favor of another TR mon, I suggest Abomasnow be replaced with Jellicent. It gives you the vital Water-type coverage you need, and is bulky enough to set up Trick Room easily and survive for longer.

I don't see what your problem with Top is - you have Cress and Meta to deal with it. Chandelure is a different matter though. You could try Tyranitar or Gastrodon, both deal with Chandy effectively.
One thing I find with Trick Room though is that matches can be so short you only really need one setter with a good offense and prediction, the former of which you seem to have.
Sorry, not really a rate, but something to bear in mind.

First of all, thank you all for the replies and comments.
Some little tweaks would help.

Lets start off with metagross, You should go for meteor mash. He needs protect to survive a little longer. Maybe try to replace eq with it since you already got hairyama and heatran to deal with the steel types.

I think cofagrigus or rueniclus (or jellicent) would be a good choice for a second TR user.

If hail + burn does more damage on hairyama, try gastrodon, oh man that thing is a beast. It can survive almost any attack (grass types is his only weakness). Go for rindo berry on him, and here is a set:

Gastrodon item: rindo berry
nature: storm drain
trait: bold or calm
evs: 244 hp, 56 def, 60 sp. atk, 156 sp. def
moves:
Stockpile
Recover
Muddy water
Earth power
I think I may use Gastrodon instead of Abomosnow. Can take care of a lot of threats, Though I am not sure if I should use Ice Beam or Muddy Water.

For all the help you have done for my teams, I feel obligated to do the same!

Heatran: Whenever I used him he seemed far better in theory then he ended up being. Unless the Def EVs are to live something kinda specific, I would put them in HP. Once he hits the flo' after an attack, EQ can OHKO him with ease and Hitmontop will do the same. The Def Evs don't help for too much, nto sure how many you need to avoid a 2HKO from TTar's Low Kick but in my Heatran experience that's what always got me.

Cresselia: I am probably the only one that doesn't like Cresselia as a TR setter, but that's my beef. Moveset looks decent, but if an opponent decides to try to stall TR out they will get the benefit of stalling Light Screen out also. Having greater Def then SpDef as a team and averaging them better through Light Screen is clever. Mental Herb's usefulness falls at the same time as Taunt's popularity, I don't see Taunt as a lead move against TR when I use it too often.

Hariyama: Pretty basic moveset and EV set, because Hariyama already has HUGE HP you don't get that much of a boost percentage-wise by investing EVs in it. The same can be said for Cress. Except Hariyama's defenses benefit more with EVs then Cress's, cause her's are already high. Flame Orb's damage can be an issue unless you have a way of healing it off, like Conkeldurr with Drain Punch. Another benefit to stalling against this team. If Cress/Hariyama is a lead you like, remember that Chandelure is almost guaranteed to be brought in against it.

Abomasnow: Because of his Sash, it's not like the HP EVs and especialy Def EVs have quite the use they would otherwise. They could be put into Attack for a stronger Ice Shard if TR is down and you need the priority. With no investment that does not hit too hard at all.

Metagross: The item you want to use will help determine the moveset. Steel Gem can be really amazing, guaranteed OHKO on TTar(though Sash is popular these days, hail can help with that) and Latios. Steel Gem Bullet Punch is very powerful priority, dealing about half to Latios and a good deal to other things as well. Ice Punch along with Steel Gem is a bit repetitive, Steel Gem Meteor Mash gets pretty much the same OHKO's Ice Punch does, just not Garchomp who likes Yache anyways. Occa I have never tried, but would help with Chandelure. Your EV spread seems like it could give a very good chance, if not guarantee, survival from non-Fire Gem Heat Wave.

Amoonguss: Standard set, the item is the only part I could complain about. Coba doesn't stop Acrobatics from 2HKOing, and even Gem HP Flying won't OHKO you without it. It can stop HP Flying from 2HKOing, yet that isn't terrifically common. Sitrus works well against many things, the sudden boost of HP tends to outclass the slow regain provided by Black Sludge.

This team has a big weakness to Chandelure. Heatran can come in on a Fire type move and pick up a boost, but not much else stands a chance. Earthquake off of Metagross fails to OHKO without Helping Hand boost, I think the same stands for Hariyama's Rock Slide.

Metagross will not be a pleasant fight either. If Trick Room is up, Heatran should be able to deal with him through Eruption, be cautious of any HP you have lost that would lower its power. Metagross will get Heatran with EQ if the Balloon gets popped, I would certainly recommend Shuca if you didn't have Eruption.

A second TR setter is practically a necessity. It can be predicted Cress will be one of your leads as it stands, and they will have less trouble effectively making their own lead in return. Whichever of the other members that does the least for the team should be rotated out. Slowking might be an ideal replacement, walling Metagross with ease, taking Chandelure's Shadow Balls, and if you are worried enough about Hitmontop Slowking deals with him well.
Thanks so much for the rating first of all!
Heatran- I dont think I will use him against most physical pokemon. When I use him, I try not to get him hurt so Eruption can do the max damage. If this strat gets annoying, I may just switch Eruption to Heat Wave and switch up the Evs to make him more special defensive.

Cress- There may not be any taunt users out there but I don't want to risk any chance of not setting up trick room. Once I get another trick room mon onto the team, it may not be a big problem.

Hariyama- Chandelure is going to be a problem. If I see it on the opponents team, I may go with what EXproudCC suggested.

Abomosnow- I am most likely replacing him with Gastrodon.

Metagross- I like the idea of Steel Gem bullet punch. I may replace earthquake with bullet punch because I dont want to use earthquake when I have a gastrodon or porygon2 without protect.
Like they say, another TR setter is needed, I would suggest:

Porygon2@Eviolite
Trait: Trace (with this, Chandelure can be dealed)
Nature: Relaxed (252 HP, 252 HP, 4 SpD)
-Trick Room
-Thunderbolt
-Recover/Ice Beam
-Magic Coat/Protect

You can run a Quiet nature and use the Def's Ev's on SpA instead. The ice/electric neutral coverage is helpful here. Magic Coat it's situational for Taunt and Protect can be a better option. Think that if Porygon2 traces Chandelure's Flash Fire, you will be almost inmune to him and you can take him with some Thunderbolts.
Ive never thought of that strategy but I really like it. I barely use amoonguss in any of my battles so Ill replace it with Porygon2.
Some of my observations about the team/improvements I can suggest:

Heatran: Yeah, I agree that 252 should be put up in HP, for general survivability. Definitely replace Flash Canon with HP Ice, Flash Canon has horrid coverage, and HP Ice hits more.
Metagross: With all attacking moves on it, I would suggest Banding that Metagross of yours. It gives it a huge boost of power, and has been relatively good when I've used it.

I generally think someone on your team needs to go in favor of another TR mon, I suggest Abomasnow be replaced with Jellicent. It gives you the vital Water-type coverage you need, and is bulky enough to set up Trick Room easily and survive for longer.
Yeah, I gonna change Trans HP evs to 252. If Eruption doesn't work out as well as I thought it would, I may mix up the EVs. I may try band because of the power but I am not a big fan of the choice items.
I don't see what your problem with Top is - you have Cress and Meta to deal with it. Chandelure is a different matter though. You could try Tyranitar or Gastrodon, both deal with Chandy effectively.
One thing I find with Trick Room though is that matches can be so short you only really need one setter with a good offense and prediction, the former of which you seem to have.
Sorry, not really a rate, but something to bear in mind.
No need to worry if its a rate. At least I got your opinion. I am definitly gonna add Gastrodon onto the team.

Thanks to you all once again. My new team will be up very soon.
EDIT: Posted new revised team

Kay, time for a rate...

Heatran's fine - Heat Wave a definite maybe. If you are going Heat Wave, you should probably use Shuca Berry for the surprise value.

Not much to say about Cress. Though a touch gimmicky, you may want to try Moonlight on the set for more time for a second Trick Room. It's your only form of recovery with Mental Herb, so worth a shot methinks.

Hariyama is standard, so that's a given. Though you may want to try another Fake Outer such as Hitmontop or Scrafty, the former can give helpful Intimidate support and the latter can help a bit with Chandelure.

I don't know what Gastrodon is doing with Stockpile - he could benefit a lot from Muddy Water, which is a fantastic spread attack.

Metagross with Choice Band in Trick Room is a bit pointless. So I vote Steel Gem, or you could have Lum Berry to take on sleepers like Breloom. Also, I've never been a huge fan of Ice Punch, when Metagross when benefit a lot from protect.

Porygon2 is fine, though I'm pretty dreadful at EV spreads.

Hope this helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)