Dallas VGC: The Werecario Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like everyone else, my story started well before the vgc’s began back in about February or March. I was practicing teams and having success with a few. When the game came out, just as spring break started for me, I played it almost non-stop through spring break and beat the elite four and even bred a decent Bisharp by the time spring break was over. I left my DS at home when I went back to college after spring break was over because I didn’t want to be distracted during my finals studying. The bad thing about that was it left me only about 2 weeks to breed a team for Dallas. Since I can’t use the rng it would be time consuming. Of course, when I came back I procrastinated further by hanging out with friends I hadn’t seen in a while. So it came down to about a week left and still no team. Fortunately there are nice people like Muffinhead, CO, and JRank. They gave me the pokemon I needed to have to team I had originally planned. I had my team a week in advance and was happy. Since I was free I had time to play some call of duty zombies where I found this and was confused…

Seriously, how does that happen, its just sitting there headless!?

Unfortunately, what’s vgc without some last minute cramming. My brother, day before the event at like 9pm decided he wants to go too, but doesn’t even have the game yet. At 10pm we quickly go out and buy the game and play for an hour until we get the pal pad. Fortunately CO and Muffinhead were online and my brother ask them for the pokemon he needed. Muffinhead was about to go to sleep, I don’t blame him since I wanted to go to sleep also but CO was willing to help. She gave Colin a Whimsicott, Thunduros, Terrakion, and a Haxorus (I figured he could have a basic tailwind team). The Terrakion and Haxorus need to be ev trained. Since I can ev train faster than Colin I said I would so it for him. I had power items but no pkrs so it took about 4 hours to finish (idk why it took so long, probably cuz I was tired). Finally it was time to sleep (around 5), on the couch…. There was air conditioning work done so I had been sleeping out there cuz my room was a furnace.

After an uncomfortable 2 hours of sleep I woke up at 7. My dad was up and he fixed me some breakfast, while eating I noticed this.

Upon my alarm clock I knew it would be a good day. I finished getting ready to go and triple checked to make sure I had everything. I ushered my very tired brother out the door and we left of the convention center. When we get there, there is already a big line for juniors and seniors but since we were both masters we waked right into the main hall and see all the pokemon decorations.

I found JRank in line and introduced myself and wished him good luck. I also met his friend Little Raven (I may have seemed awkward at first cuz I’m not good at introducing myself to possible the wrong person lol). I then started to watch the Junior and Senior battles on the tv’s but upon seeing a Braviarys fly used on a Gigalith and a Zoroark being the last pokemon sent out I decided to wait till the finals to watch. Fortunately, Little Raven had just made it to the finalist lounge (first person) so I talked to him for a bit. Unfortunately, JRank lost in the 4th round so we all watched Little Raven battle. He lost in the top 8 round against the same guy JRank lost to. The finals came on soon after and we all watched it. It was a pretty good match and both competitors had great teams. Match found here.

Video to come soon

After the match ended I walked out to the line where my brother was saving spots with a guy that he met and a girl from his school that he ran into. She was dressed like an Oshwatt so I of course had to get a picture.

There was also this kid doing the most amazing Yo-Yo tricks I have ever seen.

I think sitting in line is one of the worst parts of the event. Excitement and nervousness were making me crazy. So crazy that I pull out my phone and take a random pic.

Colin (brother) on left, me on right.

Finally after making our way through the line, I registered and made my way to the battle area. Just as I walked in I got stopped by Charistopher and I was like woah, someone actually took the time to look at my pic on the photo album and recognize me. Anyway after that brief moment of star struck I asked my opponent if he had an account on Smogon or Skarmbliss. He said that he lurked on Smogon and I was like crap, a hard battle already, let’s see what happens. Nick McCord does his speech to get everyone pumped up, and I must say he is very good at that, and the battles begin!

Now a brief moment to introduce team and to make you wait on the battles. I figure it’s a good way to keep you on the edge of your seats!

Conkeldurr @ coba berry
Guts
Adamant
252 att/ 252 hp/ 4 sdef
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Rock Slide
Protect

Zoroark @ Fire Gem
Illusion
Timid
252 satt/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
Dark pulse
Flamethrower
HP Ice
Protect

Haxorus @ choice scarf
Mold Breaker
Adamant
252 att/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
Outrage
Dragon Claw
Rock Slide
X Scissor (random 4th move)

Chandelure @ focus sash
Flame Body
Timid
255 satt/ 255 speed (I know I messed up, too lazy to fix and its sashed, who cares)
Heat Wave
Psychic
Shadow
Protect

Thunduros @ Charti Berry
Prankster
Timid
252 satt/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
Thunderbolt
HP Flying
Substitute
Protect

Bisharp @ Dark Gem
Defiant
Adamant
252 att/ 252 hp/ 4 def
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Substitute
Protect

My team was pretty much a good stuff team. I usually led with Conkeldurr and Zoroark with Haxorus and Chandelure in the back. This worked well but if I saw a TR team coming I would send out Haxorus and Conkeldurr with Thundorus and Chandelure in the back for a double rock slide (hoping for flinch) and a sub/protect stall with Thundorus. Bisharp was used a few times online but didn’t get the chance to use at comp.

Round 1 vs Steven F. Jellicent/ Amoongus/ Gigalith/ Conkeldurr/ Chandelure???/ ???

Upon seeing his pokemon I knew it would be TR with rage powder so I sent out my double rock sliders to hope for flinch. He led Jellicent and Amoongus so I knew I was right or it would be Rage Powder and scarfed water spout. Either way Haxorus is scarfed so it would outspeed his and hurt it some weakening water spout or two rock slides could result in a flinch and TR won’t get up. Well both Rock slides did hit but he didn’t flinch so TR was up. Also they was so bulky that rock slide did practically nothing to them. Apparently they were both trained in defenses and not much s att. On top of that cursed body activated on my Conkeldurr and I could no longer touch his Jellicent and couldn’t really do much to his Amoongus. I protected with Conkeldurr and rock slided again with Haxorus now knowing that it was pretty much dead weight. His ice beam did about half on Haxorus and protect blocked spore. Cursed body was still in effect so I decided to risk a second protect and let Haxorus die. Protect worked and Haxorus did die so I sent out Thunduros. I protected with it and blocked the ice beam and since Cursed body was up I rock slided and let Conkeldurr get spored. Next turn I guess he was worried about a Tbolt from thundorus so he switched out Jellicent and sent in Conkeldurr. I set up sub and my conkeldurr stayed asleep. Since he sent out the conkeldurr I got a free sub and it blocked spore. Next turn TR was up and I used HP fly on his Conkeldurr and rock slided with conkeldurr hoping for a flinch from either (preferably Amoongus). The HP flying did not ko it like it thought it would and he switched to his Gigalith so rock slide did nothing to either but did break sturdy so I was a little pleased. I expected explosion and protect next turn but I literally had no way of being sure. After thinking a while I decided my best bet was to finish off Conkeldurr with HP flying and Drain Punch the Gigalith and hope for the best. He protected with Gigalith and his Conkeldurr feinted from HP flying before it could attack. I was very relieved but especially expected the explosion next turn. He sent out Amoongus so I decided to sub with Thundorus and drain punch the Gigalith just in case there was no explosion. There was so the sub was gone and so was my Conkeldurr and the Amoongus protected. I knew I had the game from there. He sent out his hurt Jellicent and I sent out my Chandelure. I HP flying and shadow balled for the win. It was a very close game and he should have gotten a lot further than first round.

Hoping that all my matches wouldn’t be that close I proceeded to the next area. I got paired with one of Charistophers friends I believe Zach Absol and he recognized me and said he knew me from Smogon so I played along. As I walked back to the line I saw a look of gratitude in his eyes lol. I then got paired with someone else and I asked if he ever got on smogon or skarmbliss and he said he didn’t even know what I was talking about. Slightly relieved I wished him luck and started the battle. 2-0

Round 2 vs Jarred V Mienshao/ Jellicent/Conkeldurr/ ??/

He said he did not know what to make of my pokemon and I knew what he was doing so I was happy. I led with Conkeldurr and Zoroark with Haxorus and Chandelure and he led with Mienshao and something. I protected with Conkeldurr and Dark Pulsed the other thing and it flinched and protect blocked fake out. I then drain punched Mienshao and finished off the other with dark pulse. Mienshao managed to rock slide and hurt both and take illusion away but drain punch ohkoed it. The next two came out and I don’t remember much except that conkeldurr tried to mach punch but I protected and the other hurt my Conkledurr a little but I hurt whatever it was a lot. I think I switched to chandelure from Zoroark to take the mach punch and finished off the other. I psychiced and mach punched the Conkeldurr for the ko. 4-0

Round 3 vs Damon E Archeops/ Mienshao/ Conkeldurr/ ???

He also said that he had no idea what to expect by seeing my 6 pokemon and fortunately I again knew exactly what to expect upon seeing his. I led with Conkeldurr and Zoroark with Haxorus and Chandelure and he led with Archeops and Mienshao. I protected with Conkeldurr and used FT with Zoroark on Mienshao ohkoing it. Archeops did rock slide and illusion went away. He sent out Conkeldurr and I protected with Zoroark and he mach punched it (sound familiar). His archeops did a fight jewled acrobatics on Conkeldurr (with coba berry) and I pretended to be worried to add to the fun but after it did more than half health I realized it was a crit and began to actually worry lol. It didn’t ko me and my Conkeldurr rock slided and ko’ed his Archeops. He sent out his last one which I don’t remember but it ko’d my Conkeldurr and my Chandelure ohko’d his Conkeldurr with Psychic. I sent out Haxorus and Outraged!!! Game set match. 3-0

Now I made it as far as I did last year only this time I wasn’t gonna let a hacker keep me from my goal! They led me to a chair where I waited my next opponent. They sent over Milan who I had just met and we said we knew each other but they almost made us battle until one of the staff members (from the third round area) said to not make us battle. I decided to joke around and told her thank you, I didn’t want to knock him out so early… even though it would be the other way around. My next opponent arrived and he said that he didn’t get on smogon or skarmbliss and but his pokemon were ev trained an maybe iv bred I cant remember that part.

Round 4 vs. Ben K. ???????????

I don’t remember his leads but I know I sent out my usual of Zoroark and Conkeldurr with Haxorus and Chandelure in the back. I don’t remember this battle at all cuz I was focused on Milans annoying opponent criticizing the shinies saying that he hacked and that rng shouldn’t be allowed. It was quite annoying. Anyway Zoroark was the only one to go down. If you are reading this, its not that I didn’t care, I was quite distracted and didn’t pay attention to you as much because of that. 3-0.
I walked over to the finalists lounge where they checked my pokes and gave me an armband.

Lucky thirteen.

I made it! I was happy!

I think my Baylor sticker on my DS intimidated people, making my success easier.

Charistopher and Joel (one of Charistopher's and Zach Absols firends) were also there along with Alaka, Kongler, and Ryuzaki. There may have been more but I don’t know many people. They gave out pass and play cards (4 pass and 24 play) and I got a play card. Then someone else walked out who had won but hadn’t made it over to the lounge. They also realized that they were missing someone so it evened out and the same number were passed out. Still got a play card. The people who were playing got ready to battle and the lucky 4 who got byes sat down and waited. Nick said some awesome pump up stuff on the mic to everyone and I was in the zone to win after that. My next opponent was a lurker on Smogon and had also lost just before top 16 last year so I knew it wouldn’t be an easy match. I wished him luck and we began!

Round 4 vs. Josh P Mienshao/ Chandelure/ Conkeldurr/ Carracosta

I don’t remember his leads but I sent out my usual. All I remember is that it came down to his last 3 vs my last two but mine were faster. I D-Clawed the Carracosta doing almost half and ko’d the other with chandelure. His Carrocosta did Shell Break. He sent out his chandelure also. I feared a powerful aqua jet from it but realized that he thinks he is the fastest one out there not knowing my haxorus is scarfed. I decided to D-Claw it again and shadow ball his chadnelure. I figured I ko the chandelure before it gets mine since Im pretty sure he said he didn’t rng (he may have) and even if he ko’s my Haxorus it can hurt it enough for my Chandelure to finish off since it takes two hits to ko my Chandelure (thanks sash!). Well something better happens, I forgot about def drop on shell smash and D-Claw finishes off. He saw what happened and realized that its scarfed. He knew the game was over there and said good game. His Chandelure was also scarfed and brought my Chandelure down to the sash and mine ohko’d his. He played a great game. A very close 2-0
I made it to the spot I wanted I was so happy! Now I wanted to get some money or that 3ds. My next opponent was Ryuzaki and I knew right then and there that I had just lost. You see, Ryuzaki and I have some history. She is the only person on PO that constantly beats me. I think I may have only beaten her once or twice and that was cuz of hax and a good prediction. I had told her on PO that I don’t want to battle her and that I will take anyone else. I met here there and I told her that I didn’t want to battle her. We got to the finalists lounge and she mentioned that we couldn’t do friend rule now and I said I knew thinking the chances of me facing her early were slim. Well here it goes. Me vs Ryuzaki. It was time to die. Anyway seeing as most of you know who won the even you know the outcome of this battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QGbMPbUqL4

I got my writs band snipped and watch the rest of the battles. There were some good matches. Here are the finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvnTrWWcKT0
I took it with an iPhone and people were in the way so I had to stand to the right and lean but its the only copy of this battle so far.

Well my day was over but it was still amazing. I got top 16 only to lose to the winner so I may have actually gotten further having faced someone different. My brother lost in the first round to someone from Skarmbliss from an unexpected Landuros explosion. The other two people that were with us that we met there lost first round also. I met a lot of people from smogon and skarmbliss, JRank, Little Raven, Zach Absol, Charistopher, Milan, Alaka, Ryuzaki, BI if I missed you let me know!
I just wanna say, JRank, MuffinHead, and CO are amazing for giving me pokemon to use, I couldn’t have done it without you guys! Nexus also gave me two berries that I needed so I thank you also!

Props
- Having my team done a week in advanced
- Making it as far as I did
- Meeting everyone
- Zoroark working despite everyone’s beliefs
- Losing to the winner, and also calling who I would lose to before even going

Slops
- Staying up extra late working on Colin’s team
- Him losing first round
- Waking up early
- Not eating from the hours of 7:15 am to 5:30 pm

Sorry this story is so long, if you actually read to here, you get extra bonus warstory reading points. I hope you enjoyed!

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hide tags next time? lol

Seriously, congrats, it was cool meeting you, gonna be awesome at nats! I'm surprised you remembered so much about your battles (tbh I skimmed that part, I'll go back and read it now though), especially only on a few hours of sleep. I dunno why but I should've offered to EV Colin's team, I could've done it real quick. Oh well, good luck at nats!

Oh and:
CO was willing to help. He gave
CO is not a boy. :P

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
its pretty late so for now i just looked at the pictures and watched the videos. you are pretty tall man lol, anyways cant wait to read this later on today. looks like a detailed/great read. congratulations and see you at nationals

very good. I liked how you included both the Senior and the Master finals. Was always good to see me win again. haha. Very nice and I hope to see you at Nats!

Cassie

giant claw
Oh and:

CO is not a boy. :P
I'm glad he caught this before I did. xD Anyway I was happy to help, I felt bad because I didn't have some of the Pokemon your brother needed. Good luck if your VGC quest hasn't ended yet!

I didn't know you used Zoroark! I wished I did he's my 5th gen favorite but I couldn't fit him on my team. Anyways, it was great hanging with you! Too bad i can't go to Nat's (I'll be at my family reunion :/ ) You're going to have to let me help you with your Nat's team and win big there for me!

its pretty late so for now i just looked at the pictures and watched the videos. you are pretty tall man lol, anyways cant wait to read this later on today. looks like a detailed/great read. congratulations and see you at nationals
Thanks! And im not that tall, only 5' 10'' but i have long arms (great for rock climbing, im on a team) which is why I look tall in that finalists lounge pic lol. See ya at nats!

I felt bad because I didn't have some of the Pokemon your brother needed. Good luck if your VGC quest hasn't ended yet!
His team was still good, he got up to top 5 on the PO server which isnt as good as skarmbliss but it was the only on up.

Great job man! Awesome read and I'm glad you got Top 16! Can't wait to hang with you at Nats! :D
Definitely! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again!

I didn't know you used Zoroark! I wished I did he's my 5th gen favorite but I couldn't fit him on my team. Anyways, it was great hanging with you! Too bad i can't go to Nat's (I'll be at my family reunion :/ ) You're going to have to let me help you with your Nat's team and win big there for me!
Hes my 5th gen favorite also. I wanted to prove that he was still useful in this meta and not just as someone on the bench to scare people. Ill definitely let you help, I'm gonna need all the help I can get lol

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Interesting to read Warstory. US regionals seems really fun, I just hope that the UK national will like upto such a good standard.

I was your fifth round opponent! You were honestly the nicest opponent I had all day.

It was a really good game, you just had much better prediction going for you. I hope I actually make it to nationals next year though.

My leads were Mienshao and Chandelure with Conkldur and Carracosta in the back. I've had problems with Haxorous online, and when I saw yours I probably should have brought in one of my side mons to hate against it.

Anyways, good luck at nationals!

I was your second round opponent. I got wiped out because I didn't predict the Zoroark. I was running Trick Room. You predicted me turn one and got a flinch from Dark Pulse on my Jellicent, effectively negating my first turn and costing me the entire game. If I had predicted the Zoroark and Fake Out'd the Zoroark as Chandelure, I could have gotten the upper hand on you and possibly beaten you. That Haxorus could have been tough, but I was packing Blizzard on my Jellicent too. Nice guy. Good luck at nationals.

I was your fifth round opponent! You were honestly the nicest opponent I had all day.

It was a really good game, you just had much better prediction going for you. I hope I actually make it to nationals next year though.

My leads were Mienshao and Chandelure with Conkldur and Carracosta in the back. I've had problems with Haxorous online, and when I saw yours I probably should have brought in one of my side mons to hate against it.

Anyways, good luck at nationals!
I was your second round opponent. I got wiped out because I didn't predict the Zoroark. I was running Trick Room. You predicted me turn one and got a flinch from Dark Pulse on my Jellicent, effectively negating my first turn and costing me the entire game. If I had predicted the Zoroark and Fake Out'd the Zoroark as Chandelure, I could have gotten the upper hand on you and possibly beaten you. That Haxorus could have been tough, but I was packing Blizzard on my Jellicent too. Nice guy. Good luck at nationals.
Its like a family reunion!

You guys played great and had good teams!
@Air - You would have definitely beaten me if it wasnt for haxorus, once you shell smashed I was so thankful that I scarfed my Haxorus otherwise you would have won, but it was a great game and sorry that it turned out the way it did, I wish we both could have made it to nats, and you'll definitely get it next year, losing round right before 2 years in a row means that you got to get it next time right? Third times a charm lol!

@Tarnished - That crit really cost you, it sucks that it came down to hax. You may have been to pull off a win if that crit didnt happen. You had a great team, definitely one good enough to do better than second round it just sucks how things turn out. Im sure that you will get next year! Ill try to avoid ya before finals also, cuz next time that crit might not happen ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)