Dallas VGC Warstory-1st Year Playing Competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dallas VGC Warstory-An Indian's 1st Year Playing Competitive in VGC

Hey! So yeah, this is my first year playing competitive Pokemon on the DS. I used to just play for fun and randomly train, but in the past few months, I've been getting the hang of EV training and such.

Friday:

I finished up my team and battled around online. I was deciding on what to use: Rain Dance or Trick Room. I battled with Trick Room numerous times with my friends, Tyler422, Alaka, and Aqueos. After long battles, I decided the next day.

Saturday(Today):

I woke up at like 6:30 and started filling out all the information for the Team Info. Sheet. I chose to go with Trick Room because in a sudden epiphany while I was sleeping, I realized that it was why to solid to pass up. I arrived at 11:30 to the site of the competition. I met up with some non-Smogonite friends and had some battles. After that, I registered and the tournament started.

Without further ado, here's the team:

Smeargle
Brave Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
Item: Focus Sash

Fake Out
Follow Me
Dark Void
Endeavor

Dialga
Quiet Nature
EVs: You should know XD
Item: Chesto Berry

Draco Meteor
Earth Power
Flamethrower
Trick Room

Kyogre
Quiet Nature
Item: Leftovers

Water Spout
Thunder
Blizzard
Protect

Abomasnow AKA Mr. Bigfoot
Quiet Nature
Item: Sitrus Berry

Ice Shard
Blizzard
Grass Knot
Protect

Round 1: Milan vs. Busch

This guy was real chill. He also played a version of Trick Room, but one I've never seen. I lead with Smeargle/Dialga and him with Heatran/Dusknoir. T1, I Fake Out Heatran/Earth Power it, but he protects. Then, Dusknoir Brick Break's Smeargle, kicking in Focus Sash. I use Dark Void and Draco Meteor the Dusknoir for the OHKO. I don't remember much from there, but I won 3-0. 1-0

Round 2: Milan vs. Christopher

This guy opens with Tyranitar and Kyogre. I Fake Out the T-tar and TR. He kills Smeargle via Sandstorm and Water Spout. I send out Kyogre and Thunder Kyogre, Crit hitting it. Then, I use Dialga to Draco Meteor Tyranitar. He uses Dragon Dance. From there, I sweep 3-0. 2-0

Round 3: Milan vs. random guy(I don't remember his name, sorry)

This match is very fuzzy to me. I don't remember much about it other than the fact that I double Blizzard on his Groudon and Ho-oh. 3-0

Round 4: Milan vs. ???(forgot his name)------FEATURED MATCH!!!

This guy was really chill. He came down from Oklahoma and he had a solid team. He starts with Salamence and Ambipom and me with Smeargle/Dialga lead. Knowing that Ambipom is notorious for Fake Out, I Follow Me with Smeargle. He does use Fake Out, leaving Smeargle with 10 HP and Protects with Salamence. I used TR with Dialga. I Dark Void, putting his Salamence to sleep while he protects with Ambipom. He switches Ambipom to Lugia. I expected a switch, so I Endeavor his Lugia and bring it to 10 HP. Then, I use Flamethrower to KO Lugia while having Salamence still asleep. From there, Mr. Bigfoot swept with a couple of Blizzards. GG man. 4-0

After I finish my game, I get Hack Checked and make my way to the Finalist Lounge. After waiting 1 and a half hours, the Finals started.

Top 32: Milan vs. Infer

This match wasn't really a match. He leads with Umbreon/Kyogre. I Fake Out Kyogre while he switches Umbreon to Ludicolo. I Dark Void, and switch Dialga to Kyogre after using TR. It hits both and I sweep with Water Spout and Mr. Bigfoot's Blizzards. 5-0

I'm happy I have an invite, but I want to get Top 4. XD

Top 16: Milan vs. Jonathan(Guy who won it all)

He was a great guy, and a really good player. However, this wasn't even a game. It started with my Smeargle using Dark Void, which missed BOTH of his Pokemon (Top and Ogre). Then, he Critical Hitted my Kyogre with his Kyogre's Water Spout, setting up Top next turn for an easy KO. EVERYTHING went wrong that game. I wish I could replay it. Oh well... at least he won it all. :) 5-1

I got 9th. Well, since this was my first year playing Competitive VGC, I'd say I did pretty well. I got my Nationals invite, so I'll probably be heading over to Indianapolis. I chose my team based on asking others and "gut-feeling." Apparently it was a good choice. Congratz to Jonathan for winning it all. :)

Props:

getting 9th at my first competitive VGC tournament
Jonathan for getting 1st
Mattj for his great advice and prep talk
Aqueos for giving me numerous battles the week before
Alaka for helping me out
Tyler422 for helping me out(and EV training Smeargle)
nice tourny overall
making Finalist's Lounge
Trick Room for being awesome XD
tourny for being only 30 min away from my house

Slops:

Tyler422 losing in Top 32 D:
Alaka losing in Round 4 D:
losing in Top 16 due to terrible luck
friends losing in Rounds 1-3
food being kinda expensive

I'm so glad to see someone making T16 with this team. Congrats :)

And man, that is some really lame hax in your T16 match :(

Hey dude! Congrats!

You're Minh and Nathan's friend right? I went with them to VGC too and they were talking about you. Nice to hear that you did well.

Mattj- thanks man! Also, thanks for all the great pep talk and all. :)

Serendipity- lol I think Trick Room is the MOST viable option out there right now. And yeah, that was terrible luck in Top 16. D:

Sir Lu- thanks man! Yeah, I'm friends with Minh and Nathan. Ah, I probably didn't recognize you. Shade????

You mentioned me I''m so honored (: Anyway great job and stuff. Yeah repeated battles doh. How many times was it again like 7?

Nah, you don't know me. I'm just a friend of theirs that drove them there. They were talking about you and your cards and stuff quite a bit.

Awesome job getting the National's invite, and again I'm really sorry about all the hax during our match. It would've been a lot different (heck, you probably would've beat me) if it didn't go down that way.

Haha thanks dude! I'm happy I lost to the guy that one.

Yeah, many people can't play that matchup because it's extremely hard, but I playtested against it at least 50 times. I wouldve had a chance had DV hitted both. There's a 4% chance it misses, so I guess the odds were against me. Still, congratz man, and hopefully I see you at Nats!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)