SM PU Dancing On The Haters

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey all,

I thought I'd archive this team before drops happen, because it has probably had the most tour use and success compared to my others, and is overall a load of fun to play; it has also only gotten better with both Archeops and Magmortar leaving, so there's that. It was actually originally built for Exhibition Finals for Taskr to use, but he decided on a different team.

Teambuilding Process

As you can tell, the team is based around Bellossom. Before USUM, this Pokemon was pretty worthless, as it had nothing the separate itself from the superior Lilligant; however, once USUM came around, Bellossom got access to Strength Sap, which made it a great bulky Quiver Dance user. In the meta that I created this team, Bellossom wasn't as explored as it is now, and not nearly as appreciated, because of the presence of Magmortar and Archeops, which both beat it with ease. Now that they've gone, it finally has an easier time to flourish in PU.

Weezing is often a staple on a lot of my teams, because it's a fairly splashable pivot that offers the type of role compression that I like. Toxic Spikes support alongside the ability to pivot into things like Choice Band Skuntank and such really helps Bellossom out, and even emergency Destiny Bond support can help break through things like a boosted Clefairy in a pinch.

Again, another staple on my (and a lot of other user's) teams, Hitmonchan provides the role of a special pivot to check the likes of Aurorus and Pyroar, which both heavily mess with the first two members, and the rest of the team at that. It also provides a switch in to Eelektross and offers reliable hazard control with Rapid Spin.

Rotom-Frost is definitely a very underrated Pokemon in the current meta. Two powerful STABs alongside a very strong Z-move, and the overall lack of Lanturn in more competitive play, really helps it stand out as a great Pokemon. It's basically here to pressure the Oricorio formes, and nuke/break more bulky teams.

While I'm not usually a fan of Probopass, it just kinda fitted on this team. Trapping Ferroseed and being a solid Psychic-type check is super nice for the team, and since I was lacking Stealth Rock support, I thought it'd be a good addition.

Swanna is probably one of my favourite Choice Scarf users in the meta, able to check the likes of Choice Scarf Primeape, +1 Lilligant and Jynx, and other fast Pokemon. Same as with Rotom-Frost, it has two spammable STABs that can help it clean late game. It can also act as emergency hazard control with Defog.

In-depth Analysis

Bellossom @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strength Sap
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Safeguard

As I've said previously, Bellossom has gotten a lot better thanks to the recent bans, because it's a very hard Pokemon to deal with once it's set-up, as standard checks such as Skuntank and Weezing are quickly overwhelmed with either its bulk or thanks to Strength Sap. I really like this Pokemon right now, and I think it's still under-explored when it comes to fitting it on a functioning team.

The set is fairly standard, just without the more common Grassium-Z, as I'm using my Z-move on Rotom-Frost. The EVs are basically to allow it to outspeed Offensive Roost Swanna at +2 and things such as Modest Ludicolo at +1. Bellossom has a rather flexible last slot, but I think Safeguard is better for team support; it allows Hitmonchan to mess with things like Spiritomb and Weezing and stops Toxic Spikes being such a pain.

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Weezing is pretty common on most of my teams because it's fairly easy to use and find a slot for, offering great role compression. While Toxic Spikes aren't what they used to be, they're still great for pressuring teams that use Hitmonchan over Skuntank as their primary source of removal. It's also just a fantastic check to the prominent Fighting-types of the tier, and even most physical attackers.

While most players opt for Black Sludge, I actually prefer Rocky Helmet as a way to deal residual damage to Pokemon like Gurdurr and Kangaskhan. The Speed is mainly just creep for +speed Carracosta, as it's pretty annoying for the team. I had to choose what I wanted for the last slot, and I've actually found Destiny Bond to be pretty neat right now.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 160 HP / 136 Atk / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Even though Hitmonchan actually isn't really the best form of hazard removal, it offers very good role compression and is exactly what I required on this team. Being able to soft check most special attackers, along with having access to reasonably powerful priority, meant that it covered several niches that my team required. Hitmonchan helps me deal with several extremely threatening Pokemon to this team, including Eelektross and Aurorus, which are otherwise able to obliterate the rest of my team with ease. Hitmonchan is also able to act as a decent check to Hyper Offensive teams, especially weather-based ones and Trick Room themed ones, thanks to good bulk and priority. The set is pretty standard, but I just run a slower version to increase my bulk slightly.

The set is super standard, except for the EVs. It's basically to maximise both special bulk and recovery, while outspeeding Modest Aurorus. (s/o gz)

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Probably one of my favourite Pokemon right now, even though it's rather hard to build with. Rotom-Frost has very few switch-ins, especially for more offensive teams. It's basically on my team to break past any and all Oricorio forms, especially the increasingly popular bulky ones, as the rest of my team loses to them pretty hard. While this set is not the analysis one, being Substitute + Pain Split, I actually like it more because of its ability to pivot, which helps me bring in my other teammates safely.

The set is pretty standard for an offensive one, but since I had two forms of hazard removal, I decided Toxic would be great to wear down Lanturn and Hitmonchan.

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Probopass is a weird Pokemon for me. It's actually pretty hard to fit on a team considering it's not a very good Normal-type resist and doesn't quite offer the same utility as a Pokemon like Regirock does, but instead it has several unique niches that help it stand out, especially on this team. First of all, it breaks Ferroseed (and Clefairy, for that matter) which is something, especially Bellossom, desperately needs for it to function. If you bring this in on a double, the opponent is essentially playing at 6-5. It also offers a resist to Psychic-types, especially Choice Scarf Mesprit, which I'm incredibly weak to. It also forces Choice Specs Mesprit to be locked into Hidden Power Ground, which it really doesn't want to be.

The moves are fairly standard, but I find myself switching around the Hidden Power Slot quite a bit. The Speed IVs allow it to creep neutral base 50s, like Audino and Carbink.

Swanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Brave Bird
- Surf
- Defog

Probably one of the most reliable Choice Scarf users, even if it has fallen slightly from grace since its inception a few metas ago, Swanna was a clear choice for the team. I needed to be able to revenge kill +1 Lilligant and Jynx, while keeping Fighting-types in check when Weezing was down. Although people have been messing with Liquidation sets, I much prefer Surf variants, because things like Regirock and Carracosta don't end up walling you. Swanna also has emergency Defog support, to help get rid of hazards late-game for Bellossom to sweep/clean.

Threat List

Pyroar is the single biggest threat to my team, as I have basically no switch-ins for its STAB Fire Blast, so I have to play very aggressively with Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes to be able to deal with it. I have to use Hitmonchan, Swanna, and Probopass very carefully in this match-up.

Normal-types are also very annoying, as the team doesn't really have a dedicated resist. However, unlike Pyroar, I have far better outs to these Pokemon. Weezing and Bellossom can check them fairly decently, and even Probopass can check choice-locked ones like Stoutland.

Replays

Tjay vs Zugubu Royale for PU Seasonal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-746376189
Me vs Hjad: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-718125219
Genzeon vs Dundies for PU Seasonal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-721327737
Genzeon vs Chrisloud: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-722943451

Importable

Bellossom @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Safeguard

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 160 HP / 136 Atk / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Swanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Brave Bird
- Surf
- Defog

Shoutouts

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)