move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Earthquake/Superpower
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Gorilla Tactics
nature: Adamant/Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Darmanitan has the highest Attack stat in the tier after Gorilla Tactics, and takes no penalty from wearing a Choice Scarf as a result of its ability. Using a Choice Scarf allows Darmanitan to serve as a frightening pivot and wallbreaker at the same time.
Icicle Crash is its STAB Coverage, and even though Ice as an attacking type is far less valuable in this new generation due to the departure of Landorus-T and Salamence, Darmanitan can safely click this and deal upwards of 30-40% on normal checks such as Ferrothorn. Combined with a flinch chance and the ability to threaten Dynamax to get out of Choice Lock, supposed switch-ins to Darmanitan are generally not safe in many situations. However, you will lose bonuses Attack gained from the Gorilla Tactics ability as well as your speed boost from Choice Scarf, so only use it in absolutely critical situations, such as a last Pokemon scenario.

Flare Blitz allows you to always kill all Ferrothorn variants even after Dynamax, and kill Corviknight far more consistently than any other options, especially after Dynamax. Due to the heavy meta relevancy of these two, it is highly recommended to use Flare Blitz, but it could be forgone for Earthquake/Superpower if it makes more sense for your team composition.
Earthquake is the particularly useful coverage for the third slot, giving Darmanitan the ability to beat Aegislash, Toxapex, Arcanine, and several others that don't mind taking the other hits. If Earthquake is not needed, Superpower can be used guarantee an OHKO on most Tyranitar variants, and is in general a good offensive type to have, rounding out your type coverage.
The last slot, U-turn, allows you to scout opponents while still doing massive chip. It can also be used to break Focus Sash and Disguise while safely bringing in checks.
Adamant with full Attack and Speed is used to outspeed +Speed Natured Dragapult, but Jolly is an option to outspeed some other threats also based on team need, such as Scarf Modest Hydreigon or +1 Modest Charizard.

While incredibly powerful, many Pokemon can take on some neutral hits of its coverage moves or can boost to avoid being threatened by its Super Effective coverage after boosting, such as Corsola, Ferrothorn and Corviknight. As a result, Pokemon who can threaten these walls and maintain momentum, such as the Rotom Forms, Special Life Orb Dragapult, or Chandelure serve as good partners to mitigate Choice Scarf Darmanitan's weakness to hard walls.

[SET]
name: Banded Attacker
move 1: Icicle Crash
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Earthquake/Superpower
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Band
ability: Gorilla Tactics
nature: Jolly/Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
The attacking options for Choice Band Darmanitan are largely the same as the Choice Scarf variant, while giving Darmanitan unprecedented wallbreaking ability. Icicle Crash is still the STAB move of choice, Flare Blitz to always beat unboosted Corviknight and Ferrothorn, U-turn for scouting whilst chipping, and Earthquake to beat the same threats mentioned above. Jolly Nature is chosen to outspeed Adamant Mimikyu as well the entirety of the unboosted metagame after Sticky Webs, however, an Adamant Nature is acceptable if you want to maximize power.

While a more niche set, Choice Band can be brought in to punish slower teams that rely on the premier defensive walls such as Corsola, Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Corviknight. None of these are able to switch into the right coverage. It remains the lesser of the two sets, but can be a potent choice on a Sticky Webs offense, having Paralysis support from Grimmsnarl or Sandaconda, with Tailwind support from Whimsicott, or in general as a "Balance Breaker" against less offensively oriented teams.

Last edited:
I do think that Icicle Crash, Flare Blitz, Superpower/Earthquake, uturn is probably the most standard set. You always want to have that pressure on Ferrothorn/Corviknight and I think thats probably more important than hitting Toxapex and Arcanine.

I do think that Icicle Crash, Flare Blitz, Superpower/Earthquake, uturn is probably the most standard set. You always want to have that pressure on Ferrothorn/Corviknight and I think thats probably more important than hitting Toxapex and Arcanine.
You bring up a good point. My thought process was that Ferro and Corviknight cannot switch in safely without expending their dynamax, and they are both easy enough to revenge kill after the fact. However, without Earthquake, Pex and Arcanine can safely pivot in without worry. I do agree that Ferro and Corvi are more relevant meta threats, so if others feel the same I do not mind altering the slashes!

marilli

kid marilli
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I also think Flare Blitz should be a primary slash. Ferrothorn and Corviknight are super relevant threats. Earthquake hitting Toxapex / Arcanine is nice, so is Superpower but its less relevant than Ferrothorn and Corviknight to go for 2 of them and leave out Flare Blitz. QC 1/2

Theorymon

~Flying Through the Shadow Skies~
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm feeling sick as all hell (screw you bronchistist), but that doesnt mean I cant check stuff!

- You sorta imply it, but I think its important to note that Dynamax erases Gorilla Tactic's effects on Darm, so you're using it to surprise with changing moves rather than an actual power increase.

- I'd mention that Jolly outspeeds Adamant Mimikyu and Modest Hydreigon while Dynamaxed / without a scarf, which is neat!

-For CB, I think mentioning paraysis support / speed control isnt a bad idea, especially since you already mention webs. Grimmsnarl is the premier spreader of paralysis, but Rotoms and Sandaconda can work too.

-I'd make the slashes the same as CB as Scarf. Reason for this, is because a lot of the bulkier teams that CB Darm tries to prey on are using Iron Defense Corviknight. Believe it or not, that thing gets so chunky that there are situations where you'll need to lock yourself into Flare Blitz to prevent it from setting up Iron Defense and winning (+2 Corviknight actually takes like 55% from CB Flare Blitz, so if you switch darm in trying to beat it, another Iron Defense or Body Press and it wins shockingly enough lol).

-For Scarf, I'd mention some teammates to break through bulkier teams that try to take advantage of it being choice locked, stuff like the mentioned Iron Defense Corviknight in particular being a problem. Special Attackers like the Rotom family are great at pressuring Corviknight, and Dragapult works well too.

I'm feeling sick as all hell (screw you bronchistist), but that doesnt mean I cant check stuff!

- You sorta imply it, but I think its important to note that Dynamax erases Gorilla Tactic's effects on Darm, so you're using it to surprise with changing moves rather than an actual power increase.

- I'd mention that Jolly outspeeds Adamant Mimikyu and Modest Hydreigon while Dynamaxed / without a scarf, which is neat!

-For CB, I think mentioning paraysis support / speed control isnt a bad idea, especially since you already mention webs. Grimmsnarl is the premier spreader of paralysis, but Rotoms and Sandaconda can work too.

-I'd make the slashes the same as CB as Scarf. Reason for this, is because a lot of the bulkier teams that CB Darm tries to prey on are using Iron Defense Corviknight. Believe it or not, that thing gets so chunky that there are situations where you'll need to lock yourself into Flare Blitz to prevent it from setting up Iron Defense and winning (+2 Corviknight actually takes like 55% from CB Flare Blitz, so if you switch darm in trying to beat it, another Iron Defense or Body Press and it wins shockingly enough lol).

-For Scarf, I'd mention some teammates to break through bulkier teams that try to take advantage of it being choice locked, stuff like the mentioned Iron Defense Corviknight in particular being a problem. Special Attackers like the Rotom family are great at pressuring Corviknight, and Dragapult works well too.
Done ✅. Get well soon theorymon!

I sometimes see Stone Edge on this mon, so it can beat Rotom Heat, Gyarados and Charizard, don't know how common it is though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)