Dawngate

...Anyone else play it?

It's a MOBA kind of like League and to a lesser extent Dota 2, but it seems to be trying to do away with the problems of both games while combining their strengths.

It's in "closed" beta (hooray for Waystone's Twitch channel giving out tons of multi-use beta keys), but it's definitely closer to a traditional beta than Hearthstone's "beta"--the game is fairly unfinished (there's an itemization revamp and a map revamp in the works--plus many older Shapers [heroes/champions] are going to get minor remakes to include a passive) but it's most certainly playable.
One major difference from other MOBAs is that most Shapers have no resource, and only one has a resource system resembling mana (Amarynth).

The map has 2 lanes rather than the standard 3, with a middle jungle and 2 outer jungles--the outer jungles also containing Spirit Wells with workers you can contest for extra gold income.

There's also a role system that changes how you get your gold income. Gladiators get rewards for consecutive minion farming, Tacticians get rewards for hitting the enemy with autoattack or spell harass [and don't mind not getting minion kills], Hunters get extra gold and sustain in the jungle, and Predators get extra gold/experience for kills, assists, and attacking the enemy's Spirit Well workers.

Everyone has access to 3 Spells they learn at levels 1, 10, and 20. They work kind of like Summoner Spells in League, but they tend to let you much more easily adapt to the situation. Items only use passives; the functions that are better served by actives are instead Spells (Deflect being your Locket of the Iron Solari, Tailwind being the Shurelya's Reverie, and Stasis being your Zhonya's Hourglass.)

All Shapers scale with the same stats, but do so in different ways--Power scales autoattacks more for AD characters and spells more for spellcasters; Haste gives attack speed (moreso to ADCs/bruisers), movespeed, and cooldown reduction (moreso to certain bruisers, spellcasters, tanks, and supports); Mastery gives crit and overloads spell damage; Lifedrain is like spellvamp+lifesteal combined.

Everyone gets 1 free ward that they can place for 3 minutes before expiring, which they can then place somewhere else. Some Shapers like Zalgus, Varion, and Nissa have vision abilities/passives that can temporarily reveal areas.

Loadouts are kind of like a combination between tangrams and rune/mastery pages--essentially, making a puzzle of how you build them. The initial loadout you get is very stat-efficient, so you aren't at as much of a disadvantage early as in League. You can get random loadout pieces for free from loot rolls at the end of the game.

I find the game pretty enjoyable so far. King of Masks is absolutely hilarious, I love how active the laning phase is, and the choices you can make to adapt to each game feel awesome. The world feels much more interactive, while the aesthetics are vibrant but readable. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

Links:
Play Dawngate
The Dawngate subreddit
Waystone's Twitch channel/beta key farm
MOBA-Champion (the solomid equivalent)
Dawnscout (the LoLKing/Elophant/kassad.in/DotaBuff equivalent)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm in the beta and it's really just way to close to League (the devs, at least some of them, play league and went to watch last year's LCS). Note: I'm a Dota person. There are basically "summoner spells" that are like those in League (flash, smite especially), no denying, towers dealing a ton of damage, hardly any attack animation variation, jungle buffs, brush, LoL-like spells, I could go on. They claim to deal with denying with the spirit wells, but miss a key factor of denying (lane equilibrium). I do like the overall concept of the spirit wells and the roles and two lanes, and it looks great, but it just feels too much like they took LoL and tried to tweak things to make Dawngate "different".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)