Dead Poet Society

Hello guy to my new RMT.Well this is another rain team and since it took me like 2 months to develop and more or less every Pokemon in the OU went out and in to the team,so I won´t explain the Team Building Processes.That means we get right in to the TeamProfile.
"Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more."
W.Shakespeare (Politoed) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Politoed might not be the most dangerous Pokémon, but the viability of this set is tremendous. With Choice Specs he is a not to overlook force in the Meta. Not only does he summons the rain but also he is able to deal a ton of damage to any Pokémon in the OU Meta game because of his move pool which lets him hit everything with at least neutral damage also a STAB Hydro Pump is a force that made some nightmares come true. The boost from Choice Specs and rain more than doubles the power of Hydro Pump, which allows it to 2HKO some of the most specially bulky Pokémon in OU, including Jirachi, Latios, and Mew. Here are some examples of damage dealed to common switches into Politoed.
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Salamence: 68.3% - 80.7%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Naive Salamence: 75.8% - 89.4%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Haxorus: 95.6% - 112.6%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Hydreigon: 63.1% - 74.5%
Hydro Pump vs. 0/0 Rotom-W: 73.14% - 86.36%
Ice Beam is a huge thread to all the dragons out there It is a secured 2HKO to Multiscale Dnite and to every over dragon as well if not a OHKO. I chooses HP Grass over HP Electric since I find it harded to deal with Gastrodon than with Gyarados with this team it also hits every Water/Rock/Ground type pokemon with super effective damage.Focus Blast comes in handy against Steel/Dark Pokémon which are mostly Ttar and Hydriegon. However, this is the move I like the least since the 30% chance to miss is utterly annoying. All of the moves will deal massive damage, because of Specs, the Modest Nature and the 252 EV in SpA.
I play him with a bulky EV Spread with no Spd investments so I win the weather war more often. However, this could change but I like the bulky Specs set with 252HP/252 SpA/4SpD. In addition to that the speed is not appeared to be missing in battle. Ferrothorn counters also some of common threads of Politoed, as well as Tentacruel. Since these three are a normal rain team core as they work extremely well together, giving the team a defensive core, a spinner, this is needed for Gyarados, and a Spikes/Stealth Rock user.
"Once you eliminate the impossible,whatever remains,no matter how improbable,
must be the truth."
A.C.Doyle (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick
With its tremendous Special Attack, superb Speed, and excellent coverage, Latios is packed with everything which is needed to become one of the best scarf revenge killers we have in the OU Metagame. Not only that But also with 80/80/110 he has quite some bulk. It outspeeds common Scarf users like Salamence, Jirachi, Keldeo and Terrakion, but not only that he also outspeeds these Boosting Sweepers Salac Terrakion, Modest Venusaur in Sun and Shell Smash Cloyster. All of these are not to underestimate threads in the OU tier.
However, there are several downsides to Latios. The weakness against Pursuit users namely Scizor and Tyranitar is horrendous in battle since it renders Latios nearly complete useless until they are taken down. The second thing is the number of steel types in OU almost every team runs at least one steel type Pokemon. This cripples the use of Draco Meteor. However, this is more of a defensive downside than an offensive one. The last thing which hates on Latios, are faster Pokemon and Priority users such as Mamoswine or Extreme Speed Killer Lucario.
Latios main attack, Draco Meteor, is unquestionably one of the scariest attacks in the entire metagame, when it's combined with Psyshock, a move which is used by almost all of the physic type Pokemon we have in the OU tier at the moment, Latios is turned it to a beast which is also able to hit Special walls quite hard. It also allows Latios to take care of Keldeo, Venasur and Terrakion. Surf is my third move of choice since it deals neutral damage to Steel types, which switch in expecting a Draco Meteor, also it is boosted by rain which gives him even more momentum.
On the last move I am still debating if HP Fire is better or trick. HP Fire would eliminate many of my threads namely Ferrothorn, Scizor and other annoying Steel types. However, under rain it is not really that viable also I would have a speed tie with a 2+ Shell Smash Cloyster. Trick does not do that it only allows me to cripple walls like Ferrothorn or Blissey or Set-Up sweeper like Superachi or DD Dnite and it allows me to gain access to not being locked into a specific move which can be really annoying late game depending on what your opponent has left.
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."
O.Wilde (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 244 Def / 248 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Substitute
Tentacruel is a highly valued Pokemon in the OU Tier, being a special defensive water type Rapid Spin user. Unlike other defensive spinners, Tentacruel is particularly difficult to take down as it takes advantage of rain support to get 12.5% healing per turn with Rain Dish and Black Sluge combined. He also has the ability to beat any spinblocker under rain with SubToxic; this includes Jellicent and Sableye. Another ability of Tentacurel that underlines his spinning ability is the absorption of Toxic Sikes. All of this shows that he is an excellent spinner, but no only that he can spread status with scald and take care of some threads which are quite common in the OU metagame.
However, there are some downsides to the Pokemon.First of all it is quite fragile on the physical side for a tank or support pokemon. The second thing which is annoying about him is his weakness to some of the most used moves in the Meta at the moment like Earthquake, Thunderbolt and Psyhock which limit him in his defensive potential.
Although Tentacruel has access to Toxic Spikes, Toxic is still the better move when it is combined with Substitute. In addition to that the team would not real benefit from TS in any way. Toxic hits more Pokémon like flying types and Pokémon with the ability levitate. Also TS would interfere with Scald the only attacking move on Tentacruel, but it is the only one he needs with a power like Hydro Pump(not under rain) under rain and a 30% chance to burn, which helps to cripple most physical sweepers like Dnite, Scizor, Terrakion or Gyarados. The last move is Rapid spin although it is an attack I do not see it as one since it is only a support move.
"Nothing succeeds like success."
A.Dumas (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
This set is Ferrothorn's standard fare and is what it will be running the majority of the time. Leech Seed is also a very effective move, useful for preventing opposing Pokemon from setting up on it while providing self-healing at the same time. Gyro Ball and Power Whip are Ferrothorn's best attacking options, hitting the majority of the standard metagame for at least neutral damage. However, because Ferrothorn's Attack stat is less than impressive without any investment, Protect is an appealing alternative over either move; it is useful not only for scouting, but for racking up Leech Seed and Leftovers recovery as well. Gyro Ball and Power Whip each have their own merits; the former is more useful against faster threats—most notably Dragon-types and Gengar—while the latter is more useful against Water-types and slow Pokemon, such as Reuniclus.Since I need to counter Dragons so I chose Gyro Ball.
"Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is watchword of the wise."
J.W.von Goethe (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Taunt
- Waterfall
Gyarados is easily one of the most threatening sweepers in the OU tier. Gyarados can even utilize rain perfectly with its terrifying double-STAB Waterfalls. This is Gyarados's bread-and-butter set this generation, being able to set up on a multitude of Pokemon. Dragon Dance is just an amazing move for Gyarados, boosting its Attack to unbelievably high levels and patching up its underwhelming Speed. Gyarados's many useful resistances give it plenty of opportunities to set up, as does Intimidate, which allows it to take various neutral attacks such as Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, and Crunch.
The less common variant of this set runs Taunt, which is geared specifically toward walls. Taunt renders walls unable to phaze, recover health, use a status move, or Perish Song. It is essential if you wish to beat Skarmory or Hippowdon with Gyarados, as both can take a +1 Waterfall and phaze Gyarados out. Additionally, it allows Gyarados to beat Perish Song Celebi paired with a Steel-type to take a Bounce, one of the most common cores used to handle Gyarados. As for the attacking moves, Gyarados's STABs generally provide enough coverage. Waterfall, especially with a rain boost, can put heavy dents in any Pokemon unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of it. Bounce has nice coverage with Waterfall, most notably hitting bulky Water-types.The EVs allow Gyarados to outrun Jolteon at +1. Intimidate allows Gyarados to reduce the power of its foes upon switching in, allowing for easier setup and better match-ups against Pokemon such as Scizor.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."
E.A.Poe (Bisharp) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
Bisharp Steel typing, grants him resistances to many common attacks. This is a major advantage for Bisharp since he is quite fragile. A high base Attack of 125 makes Bisharp an offensive powerhouse, which when combined with Swords Dance makes him even more menacing. Add a STAB Sucker Punch, one of the strongest priority moves in the game, and Bisharp is a force to be reckoned with.
The goal of this set is simple. Begin by obtaining a Swords Dance boost and sitting behind a Substituted. Swords Dance boosts Bisharp's Attack stat to legendary levels, allowing him to power through a lot of Pokemon in the tier. Sucker Punch is used as Bisharp's main attack, boasting STAB and priority, as well as hitting extremely hard after a boost. While unreliable, it is an invaluable tool for Bisharp to threaten the many Pokemon that could otherwise revenge kill him.
Substitute partners well with Sucker Punch, letting Bisharp take advantage of the turns where the opponent tries to avoid getting hit with Sucker Punch by using a non-damaging move, hence ending any mind games that may ensue after Bisharp has received a boost. In addition, having a Substitute up encourages the enemy to attack and break it, allowing for more opportunities to use Sucker Punch successfully. Low Kick is the best choice for the last move, achieving almost perfect neutral coverage in OU alongside Sucker Punch, missing out only on Heracross and Toxicroak.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hey man thanks for the request! This is a pretty solid standard rain team you have here. Overall you have good synergy and some powerful threats so there really isn't too much needed to be changed. However, although I love Bisharp very much, it just does not fit onto this team at all. In the rain Keldeo destroys this thing no matter what. Although you do have decent Keldeo switch-ins on your team in the likes of Tentacruel and Latios, Bisharp just needs a ton of support to be successful in OU and the rest of your team just does not provide it. Therefore, I will suggest a similar poke that really appreciates the rain support your team gives. This is none other than Toxicroak. He also has access to Swords Dance and Sucker Punch, and while it is not STAB and his attack stat is not as high, his stellar defensive typing and awesome ability put him miles ahead of Bisharp on your team.

You can use the following set:
Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature 28 HP/ 252 att/ 228 speed
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Ice Punch
Drain Punch

Toxicroak has many other viable boosting sets as well that you may want to try out, this one is just the most similar to the Bisharp set that you were using.

Laslty, on your Tentacruel, it is usually a good idea to run some speed investment on the Sub Toxic set. You can run a Timid nature with 16 speed EV to outrun things such as Breloom to dodge a Spore which otherwise may be a nuisance.

Hopefully my suggestions helped! Let me know how it works and good luck with the team!

Your team is fairly solid, and it carries a pretty sound group of Pokemon, but there are improvements that can be made. Right now, Latios is a pretty bad Choice Scarf user. While it has the Speed to beat out nearly all offensive teams, its attacking prowess is nothing special, and its Pursuit weakness is undeniably a major fault with the numerous Tyranitar and Scizor about OU. Your team seems to have a bit of trouble with Jellicent as well, and none of your members can really afford to switch into a Scald. While this might not be a problem for offensive rain teams, your team seems to give up a lot of momentum in favor of checking threats. The weakness to Thundurus-T is pretty apparent as well. If it can get an Agility boost against any of your team members (it can force out Gyarados, Politoed, Tentacruel, Ferrothorn, and Bisharp, and if Latios is weakened, you can only rely on Focus Blast's low accuracy) your team will be swept with ease.

Some of these problems are a bit tough to solve. For one, it's very hard to suggest a replacement for Latios, as the most appropriate replacement – Keldeo – just exacerbates your already-apparent Electric weakness. I think the best way to go about this is to look at Latios's role: that of a revenge killer. Your best bet here, in my opinion, is a Choice Scarf Jirachi. Jirachi brings a lot of things to the table: U-turn, a Dragon-type resistance, and a versatile Trick user that can help you out against stall teams. If you choose to go this route, I would also recommend you try out MCBarrett's suggestion of Toxicroak, as it is a better sweeper, gives you a switch-in to Scald, and serves a similar role to that of Bisharp. Obviously this is not a main reason, but Toxicroak also resists the only two moves Terrakion will ever use, so it can provide a switch-in in a pinch, which can even nab you a nice setup opportunity.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf | Serene Grace
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Trick / Thunder

Toxicroak @ Life Orb | Dry Skin
Adamant | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

You can always go with Thunder in the last slot for Jirachi if you want an easier time against opposing Dragon Dance Gyarados. The paralysis chance will always be helpful too for Toxicroak or Bisharp, whichever you choose.

As for smaller problems, I think it's pretty easy to say that Substitute is far better in this metagame than Taunt is on Gyarados. The threats to a Gyarados sweep that you listed that Taunt will help against are all pretty uncommon. You wouldn't really need to be trying to sweep with Skarmory around, especially considering Politoed and Tentacruel will ruin Skarmory anyways. Substitute will let you set up on Jellicent, Celebi, and a lot of other Pokemon. If used correctly, it can nab you a few extra boosts, and it always will avoid status, while Taunt still leaves you vulnerable to Scald burns. Also, I'd go with a spread of 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe and a Jolly nature, as after using Dragon Dance twice, you'll outpace every noteworthy threat. You might additionally consider Moxie to help you sweep slower teams with fewer Dragon Dance boosts.

Gyarados @ Leftovers | Moxie
Jolly | 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

I would run at least enough Speed on Tentacruel to beat Mamoswine. This will allow you to score a KO, and it's pretty useful because Mamoswine can do some damage to your team, so you won't need to send out one of your offensive Pokemon just to take it out. I'd go with a Timid nature and a spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe, which will beat Mamoswine by 2 points (you can't beat it by 1 because it's a jump point). Speedier Tentacruel is always nice, and you won't be using the bulk you have to sponge anything significant, so I don't think there are any real downsides to this change.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge | Rain Dish
Timid | 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald

You could try fitting Spikes or Power Whip onto Ferrothorn, as the former will let you sweep easier, while the latter will help against Gyarados that use Substitute. Power Whip is pretty handy against other Pokemon too, and it lets you threaten Jellicent, Politoed, and other bulky Water-types. If using either, I'd probably fit them over Protect, as it's the most expendable move on your Ferrothorn. Good luck with the team, I hope I helped!

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there got your request.

Like other users have posted, you should definitely add speed to Tentacruel. You can dodge status from pokemon like Smeargle, Breloom, bulky jirachi, celebi, and other pokemon with speed. A fast scald s also useful against mamoswine, landorus-T, lucario if you decide to hit the speed tier to outspeed them.

Additionally, your team seems to be pretty vulnerable to Ferrothorn. Both your set up sweepers struggle against it, Latios is set up on, and you have to rely on scald burn / power whip misses to be able to beat it with Tenta. I would go ahead and replace Bisharp with Toxicroak as it gives you a great answer to random rain threats, reliable recovery in rain dish, and you can give it a similar moveset to your Bisharp so you aren't losing much.

Lastly, I would replace Gyarados with a CB scizor. Your team is pretty vulnerable to Alakazam and certain special attackers and scizor handles those pretty well. U-turn does consistent damage and bullet punch gives you another priority move to pair up with sucker punch to break alakazam's sash if needed. Scizor also performs better against sun than Gyarados which could be problematic with both Ferrothorn and Toxicroak on your team.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit / Quick Attack
- Superpower

Quick attack can help you deal with Fire types and Rotom -W, but pursuit is usually the better option.

One last thing you can do is give Latios Sleep Talk over Trick so that you have a sleep absorber for opposing breloom and amoongus.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Master of Toad, thanks for the request. I'm really liking the Dead Poets Society theme to this team!

When I look at the team as a whole, I see mainly a weakness to electric types and Skarmory. I think the main reason Skarmory can be a problem is that your only real special attackers are both locked into a move after using it, and Latios, for example, can easily be taken out by a Tyranitar switching in as you try to take it out, since a non-boosted Surf can never 2HKO BandTar. Obviously Politoed doesn't like having to be the teams only answer to anything, since it's main objective is to stay alive.

The first change you should make is one that everyone has already suggested to you: switch out Bisharp for Toxicroak. Bisharp is a really cool Pokémon, but it really doesn't bring much of anything to this team that Toxicroak can't do better. Your team doesn't particularly like taking Keldeo's Specs Hydro Pumps (especially with the rain boost you so thoughtfully provide), and Bisharp can't do jack to Keldeo. Toxicroak, on the other hand, is an excellent check to Keldeo, being immune to its Water attacks and resisting Secret Sword. Since Ferrothorn can be an issue for your team, what better Pokémon to use than one which can set up all over Ferrothorn, fearing only the Thunder Wave? I would change the EVs from harsha's set to 28 HP /252 Atk / 228 Spe, since that's all you need to out-speed neutral base 80 speed Pokémon.

Harsha says that Latios isn't the best Choice Scarfer right now, and while I don't entirely agree with that, I do think there are better Choice Scarf options for this team, specifically. Normally, I would say you should keep Latios in order to better deal with Keldeo, but if you add Toxicroak, then I would rather have you take care of your Electric/Skarmory problems. I suggest Scarf Thundurus-T over Latios. Thundurus-T seems to fit your team much better, forming an excellent pair with Gyarados, since they not only cover each others weaknesses on paper, but also in practice (for example, Thundurus-T hates Mamoswine, but Gyarados can easily switch into and set up on most Mamoswine sets, especially with Intimidate). Scarf Thundurus-T would also give your team a way of grabbing momentum in the form of either U-turn or Volt Switch. U-turn is probably the better choice since no Pokémon is immune to it and it can hit Lati@s and Celebi on the switch for much better damage than Volt Switch would. But Volt Switch uses Thundurus-T's higher special attack, meaning it will hit a lot harder, so the choice is up to you. Thundurus-T can also eliminate the Skarmory that give Gyarados and Toxicroak some issues, which is another reason why you may choose to use Volt Switch, so you can take out the metal bird while also scouting for a switch.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck with the team!

Sets

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn / Volt Switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)