Let's Play! Deino Plays! np: Can't believe this kid is still alive (Ultra Sun)

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
deino plays.png

Art by Kadew
Welcome back to the greatest series ever to grace Orange Islands brought to you by the humblest user ever to grace Orange Islands: Deino Plays! I started this series in the relative stone age of 2014 as a publicity stunt to get the attention of my star-crossed lover, Stellar, and to bring fame and fortune to the deino empire joy to the islanders who enjoy the in-game side of Pokemon. I'm reviving this as I make a blind playthrough of Ultra Sun having absolutely no idea what these Pokemon are or what the storyline is.

But I will of course be accepting challenges, as the only thing I have more of than sarcastic responses is overwhelming hubris.

Enjoy.

Let's Play Pokemon Ultra Sun!
1.PNG

I have never play Ultra Sun and I am so excited to be totally clueless in a Pokemon game. :)

2.PNG

It is now 1:30 am at time of writing, but yeah, sure, whatever.

I'm really excited to get this started because I actually have almost zero knowledge of the generation 7 Pokemon or Alola in general. I've been busy doing school and real life and shit. And Rocket League. Yeahhh, mostly Rocket League actually.

3.PNG

For those who don't know, this is my name of course. Easy to remember because I'm a Computer Science student, so if you think "code," you're mostly there. At least that's what I tell girls at bars. It has been wildly unsuccessful.

Once I actually get into the game, I'm greeted by some girl sprinting full speed away from what appear to be her caretakers at the insane asylum.

4.PNG

She's making a break for it!

Then something else happened and I'll be honest I missed it because I spilled cheez-its.

5.PNG

And then BOOM! TITLE CARD!

I go about my routine and talk to my mom and everything, yadda yadda yadda.

6.PNG

Actually seeing a 3D world makes me miss Pokemon XD. That game was incredible and it was the best 3D Pokemon game released before this (and maybe even still). If you disagree, feel free to forward all complaints to my secretary, Hulavuta.

7.PNG

I will say, it's beautiful here.

I make my way down to Route 1 and immediately sprint into the tall grass, attempting to do my best Professor impression and get laid out by a Wurmple or something.

8.PNG

I literally didn't know any of their names until it let me choose. This will be a long one.

9.PNG

I choose the Rowlet (?) because look how damn adorable that thing is. Are you kidding?

10.PNG

Hello and welcome to this episode of reusing old jokes, because DHR can't take down this thread if he is the heart of this thread.

After getting DHR, I decided to buff him up a bit because I know DHR and I know if there's any Pokemon / forum moderator that can get Splashed to death by a Buneary, it's him.

11.PNG

Uhhh.

12.PNG

If I had a dollar for every time my mom told me that.

13.PNG

I love the landscapes and how they show you the town first! (this is very Pokemon XD-esque...I've got my eyes on you)

I start to move up north towards the ruins for some unknown story purpose, and quickly am met again by the very lady who escaped the white-jacketed clutches of state-mandated therapy.

14.PNG

Run!

Now we get to the bridge and whatever jumps out of her talking duffel bag immediately runs out and gets attacked by some Spearows!

15.PNG

I would be intrigued too if I saw a purple plumbus just laying around.

After so bravely fighting off the Spearows with DHR, the bridge collapses and I'm saved by Tapioca Coco, a mystical Pokemon that is highly regarded in this land. I missed most of the story again. Was getting more cheez-its.

16.PNG

I'm already short in real life, I don't need the BM from this game too. My growth spurt is coming soon ™️

After doing my heroic duties and receiving my somewhat underwhelming accolades for my courage and ability, I returned back to the town to be greeted by my new idol.

17.PNG

This guy just gets it. When I'm whatever age that is (what is he, 30?) I hope that I can manage to look like this guy.

After another astonishing amount of cutscenes, I am able to finally get my Pokedex and head back home.

18.PNG

If it's anything like me moving into school, it's that nothing ever gets fully unpacked and I'm living out of a suitcase for 3-4 weeks at least.

Now I get the in-depth tutorial on Pokemon-catching. I mean this guy really said some things. I didn't read any of them and mashed as fast as I could. But let me tell you, there was certainly text on that area of the screen and animations were absolutely playing.

19.PNG

I'm pretty confident that's how I was born. And you're not Youngster Joey!

20.PNG

There seems to be some mechanic now where I can groom DHR, which was long overdue. Do you think we can just do this through some Smogon client?

I keep fighting through the trainers in this area trying to figure out what the hell these Pokemon even are. Luckily you guys don't have to watch this live because I am making some absolute rookie maneuvers here with guessing types.

21.PNG

This Alolan Rattata however, I find quite tumblr_lndgqjNvkx1qcado6.jpg

I then get to the area ahead of some festival, and I watch some way overdressed cyclists pass by me with comically large helmets. You really don't need them to be that big. There's no way. You can't convince me that helps.

22.PNG

This is where I'll call it here before I get too far. That was already a lot of cutscenes.

I hope that you guys enjoyed the first episode of this Ultra Sun Let's Play! Please leave me comments in here or my profile if you have any recommendations or challenges or anything like that. I will follow up with as many as I can to make this playthrough challenging and interesting to follow.

Subscribe to PewDiePie or something.

~ deino​

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
After getting DHR, I decided to buff him up a bit because I know DHR and I know if there's any Pokemon / forum moderator that can get Splashed to death by a Buneary, it's him.
You may think this is a joke but wait till you learn about Z-Moves and what the Normal-type one does with the move Splash... let's just say it makes this a bit less of a joke. :P

If I had a dollar for every time my mom told me that.
You'd have one whole dollar.

I missed most of the story again. Was getting more cheez-its.
Why didn't you wait till after the cutscene?

This guy just gets it. When I'm whatever age that is (what is he, 30?) I hope that I can manage to look like this guy.
Oh, just you wait, there's one better character.

And yes, the man with graying hair is 30...

If it's anything like me moving into school, it's that nothing ever gets fully unpacked and I'm living out of a suitcase for 3-4 weeks at least.
And yet you're still ahead of the mother in the game when it comes to unpacking.

There seems to be some mechanic now where I can groom DHR, which was long overdue. Do you think we can just do this through some Smogon client?
Pokemon Groomdown!

Please leave me comments in here or my profile if you have any recommendations or challenges or anything like that.
*Thinks* Train up the first Salandit you catch. Leave it to chance whether you get the right one.

I will officially endorse this Let's Play as long as it ends up featuring a significant amount of Pink Pokemon.
Let's see, options would be Chansey family, Slowpoke family, Mr. Mime family, Luvdisc, Corsola, Gorebyss, Sylveon, Jigglypuff family, Lurantis, Morelull family, Alomomola, Stufful family, Tapu Lele, Clefairy family, Porygon family, Bruxish, Miltank, Snubbul family, East Gastrodon, & Lickitung family.

So there's a good chance. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)