Deino plays! np: Pokémon Emerald Randomizer!

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deino Plays!

In this thread, I'll put all of my adventures playing games. I only have one so far, but more are on the way!

Let's Play Pokemon Emerald! (begins below)

Pokemon Emerald Randomized!

My thread is pretty clustered. Important items will be linked here.

Let's Play Pokemon Emerald!

It's been quite a while since I posted anything in the Orange Islands subforum, and it has been really bothering me. I did a Nuzlocke Challenge but was much too lazy to post all the different things I did, and I did a Scramble Challange (silly scramblers like the mispelling) but people didn't even give me 6 pokemon. So after talking with Jellicent on IRC (if you're not part of #orangeislands, you really should be), I decided I would do a Let's Play! of Pokemon Emerald.

If you are unfamiliar with a Let's Play! , it's fairly simple. Someone plays through the game and keeps everyone updated on their progress and their interesting stories about the game. A good Let's Play! was made by kd24 here: Let's Play Manly Pink!. It will also be fairly similar to the Let's Play! competition thread found here. A lot of them recorded on video and commentated it as they played, but since I lack recording software and/or an interesting real-time personality, I'll stick to words and screenshots.

Without further ado, Let's Play Pokemon Emerald!

Let's Play!

What a lovely name. :)

So I set my name as DEINO, since that is an easy shortening for Deinosaur. I'm dropped off at my house, finally. Sitting in the back of that moving truck was torture. And why wasn't my mom in there with me? What if I got a concussion from the falling boxes? No matter, it all turned out okay. I proceed to set my clock to 12:00 noon because I always do that in Emerald, and proceed to steal the Potion that this PC has left me. Now off to meet May, what a pleasure.

and this is craaaaazy.

Alright, enough of that. Now we're headed off to find out what else I can do in this town. Hmm, up north we have a Zigzagoon attack, hopefully Professor Birch makes it out in one piece. Maybe I should help him, he doesn't look like he moves well.

So it begins....

I obtain my Mudkip and quickly dispose of the scum that is this Zigzagoon. Wrong place, wrong time. Now we get to go back to Professor Birch's lab. I hope he has food, its 2 am and I'm starving. Another break of exciting dialogue later, and I have a Mudkip named Jellicent (he's the one who let me do this in the first place. Also it's nature is Naughty, and I hope Jelli appreciates that). After hours and hours of painstaking work and care, my Naughty Jellicent finally reaches Level 10, and learns Water Gun.

So strong. :')

So after this training session, we are ready to face May. She only has with her a Level 5 Treecko, so she's no problem. Lots of walking, I must admit. I think my character is wearing like high heel glass slippers, because he can't run at all. Another exciting break of dialogue, and we are on our way. I receive the running shoes from mommy so I can now move somewhat fast. We hustle into the tall grass to find us a new teammate, and we run into a Level 4 Zigzagoon.

LOL PREM.

I named this poor creature PREM because I'll mostly be using him for Pickup and as an HM whore. He'll be cool during the early stages of the game, though. Now we work our way through the trainers on the next route, it's no surprise that prem starts critical hitting every poochyena he sees. He's always had to rely on luck. Soon enough he gets Headbutt, which just flinches everything to death. Even in-game you're a lucky fighter.

Oh we made it, not sure how prem hasn't died yet.

Off we go, learning how to catch a Pokemon from Wally, who chokes and misses one of his Tackles, so the catch is completely unrealistic. Either way, we move on past Scott (I'll show you someday, I'm strong) to Petalburg Woods. The trainers are no trouble with prem's haxy status, and the Team Aqua grunt falls to the same crits and flinches. When we finally make it to Rustboro City, PREM and JELLICENT have both reached Level 11. Time to challenge Roxanne and get my first badge. :D

The official team picture before challenging the Gym Leader.

Jellicent of course has no trouble destroying these rocks, even without luck. Jellicent has reached level 14, getting close to evolving, and poor prem still sucks and is stuck at Level 11. I'll get you some playing time soon bud, it's a shame to see you on the bench without first earning your spot there. It won't be long, though.

Champion!!

So that concludes segment 1 of Let's Play Pokemon Emerald! Hope you all enjoyed what I have so far, stay tuned for more! Also feel free to post any comments or suggestions you have for me so I can keep making this thread better and better!

Let's Play!

deinosaur

Bumping this thread for the second installment of:

So this is my team, prem getting ready to do some werk.

After crushing Roxanne in my first gym battle, it was time to keep moving. As I walk away from the site of the bloody victory, I see a Team Aqua grunt sprinting away at top speed, followed by a nerd also running at top speed. It's no wonder the grunt got away...but I proceed to follow them north when I am stopped by captain nerd, telling me that they stole his goods. This is a perfect time for prem to show what he's got! Into the tall grass we go, as prem wrecks little baby Wurmples and Nincadas. The trainers are no trouble either, thanks to Headbutt flinch hax.

prem slaving away.

Here we go, into the cave to save poor little Peeko. The grunt is no trouble for prem thanks to crits. He's a lucky boy, but oh well. His ability, Pickup, is quite charming in-game. So far he's given me a Great Ball, Antidote, Super Potion, Hyper Potion, and others. All before the second gym. Not bad premmy. As we're leaving town, we meet May, who makes fun of my inability to catch lots of Pokemon. So me and prem smash her into the ground and proceed on our way. What a great team.

This is why we don't let birds loose in our house.

We take a ride on this old man's crappy little boat, although it moves surprisingly fast for it's stature. It also manages to stop on a dime immediately when my father calls. That is some kind of wicked captainship.

prem <3

So here we are in Dewford town, ready to deliver Steven's letter. It's a dark cave, so apparently we can flash all we like. I'm not a fan of that idea, but whatever. After prem Headbutt haxes through a few Geodudes, we meet up with the Steel-type master. He thanks us for our trouble and gives us a TM that no one can even use. It will come in handy later, though. I'm sure of it. Also around this time, Jellicent has evolved into a healthy Marshtomp and obtains Mud Shot, his best move at this point.

Another team picture before the gym!

Sadly, as I'm about to find out, 95 accuracy just won't do it in-game. I lose the next 4 battles on misses and critical hits. One notable one was a miss on Meditite using Focus Punch, which then critical hit me for the KO. But I perservered, and eventually I won, leaving me with a Level 20 Marshtomp and a still Level 16 Zigzagoon.

Champ status.

We are awarded with Bulk Up and the ability to use Flash, although I never do see much use for that move. I walk outside and obtain my Old Rod from the fisherman, maybe I will get a Magikarp sooner or later. :D

So that's all for this installment of Let's Play Pokemon Emerald! Sorry it was even shorter than the last one, but I'm trying to update every gym, and these two were rather close together. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for reading!

Let's Play!

deinosaur

Welcome to the third exciting installment of:

A truly wonderful item for raising babymons.

After destroying Brawly (not really, still 1-5 against him), I go to Slateport. I beat up on team aqua and deliver the goods to Captain. Prem is wrecking everything that comes in his path that doesn't have a resistance to Normal-types. And no, he's not OHKOing them, Headbutt has a flinch chance. Remember folks, it's prem. So we head back to Rustboro to pick up my prize, the elusive Exp. Share, used for training even the weakest Pokemon to battling status. Since, I got this item, I decided it would be a good time to pick up another teammate.

He was the first to reply in #orangeislands. :D

We catch ourselves a nice Timid Electrike, and name him after Wobbanaut. This is especially fitting because apparently Wobba is timid in real life, but I wouldn't know (he's too timid to talk to me, can you believe it??). Anyway, we attach an Exp. Share to him and get to work. This part of the map has a particularly large amount of trainers hiding inside the Puzzle Master's house and outside by the trees. So after a while of sending out Wobba, switching to prem to get shafted and to try and kill something, prem finally reached Level 20 and evolved into a good user. Linoone pretty darn strong.

Yeah not bad, don't get a big head.

So now we continue on our journey to make Wobbanaut strong, which leads us up to a good rival battle. After the first 2 pokemon went down, I sent out Wobbanaut out against Grovyle. He sticks a strong Thunder Wave to paralyze that speed demon, and he uses a weak Pursuit. "I'm low on health, time to switch!" BAM. So much for that bit of experience. :/ At least you can rest easy knowing that your trainer is competent and completely aware of what's going on. After resting up and beating a few easy trainers, we meet Wally at the front door of the gym.

I'm not even sure it had Confusion...

Wobbanaut has no trouble disposing of Wally the weak, and we send him crying home to mommy. Wobbanaut is actually getting pretty strong about now, and we train him up until he hits Level 20, where he learns Spark, a great move for my little puppy.

As is tradition, pre-gym team photo.

So we send in Jellicent, a little but underleveled, but his part Ground-typing makes up for it with immunity to Electric-type attacks. He sweeps the first 3 Electrics no problem with Mud Shot. Now we get to the last mon, a Manectric. I knew this was gonna be troublesome. The first turn, it uses Howl, and Jellicent critical hits it for the OHKO. G_____G

3/8 on my way to greatness.

So that's my third gym badge, giving me the ability to use Rock Smash, which I have already shoved down prem's throat. No worries.

Aaaaaaand that's a wrap. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions, I love to hear them. If you like what I have so far, please say so! Every luvdisc is appreciated. :) It's also okay to request to have a Pokemon named after you. Please only do this if you can take a joke, I like to tease my teammates. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it and stay tuned for the next update!

Let's Play!

deinosaur

Here's round 4 of:

This time I have some nice IRC quotes for you, since the community seems to be getting involved. :D

Prem can't beat trainers, just rocks.

So we begin our journey again in Mauville City, and we head west to Rusturf Tunnel. Wobbanaut and prem destroy all the pokemon in their way until we get to Verdanturf, and we take a break to heal up and drink some Fresh Waters. Inside the cave, prem eliminates the rock so that the silly couple can be together, and we get the HM Strength (here prem, eat this). Now we head up north more and face the Winstrate family, not much winning for them here.

Photo op with the Winstrates.

I obtain their coveted item, the Macho Brace. It's great for EV training, but I may not use it due to its speed drop. We continue much farther north and nothing particularly interesting happens until we reach Route 113, home of one of the strongest pokemon to ever walk the earth of Hoenn.

Skarmory da bes. Raseri is p good.

How did I decide his name you ask?

[BOX][19:24] <+deino|letsplayemerald> who wants to be
[19:24] <+deino|letsplayemerald> a skarmory?
[19:24] <+deino|letsplayemerald> :D
[19:25] <%Raseri> <-[/BOX]

The comments that followed basically summed up how Raseri did in most of the battles that followed:

[BOX][19:26] <%DTC> raseri the skarmory?
[19:26] <%DTC> you should box that shit right away
[19:27] <%Raseri> ^
[19:27] <%Raseri> im a weak skarmory[/BOX]

Raseri fell to many a Magnemite, but he eventually became strong. After tons of training, we made it to Meteor Falls and learned the plots of Team Magma and Team Aqua. So now we take the long trek all the way to to Mount Chimney.

[BOX][19:49] <&Stellar> chimney looks very strange when you spell it out
[19:49] <+Veemon> True
[19:50] <&Fate> chim chim cheree[/BOX]

How's the weather up there? Shitty.

After beating a few weak trainers, I am standing before the great Maxie of Team Magma when I get highlighted on #OI.

[BOX][19:52] <%DTC> deino
[19:52] <%DTC> I challenge you to an evolution race
[19:52] <%DTC> let's see who can evolve electrike faster
[19:52] <%DTC> mine is lv 22
[19:52] <+deino|letsplayemerald> ok

[19:55] <+deino|letsplayemerald> dtc
[19:55] <+deino|letsplayemerald> i win[/BOX]

After the Maxie battle, my lowly Wobbanaut evolved into the great Manectric. Much stronger and faster. So, since I forgot to take a screenshot of my incredible victory over DTC, we'll skip farther forward. We move down the mountain towards Lavaridge Town at a blistering pace, and when we get there, it's go time. Wobba wrecks all the gym trainers, and we are ready to face Flannery.

Team Picture.

Sadly, I have no real warstory for this battle because quite frankly, this happened:

[BOX][20:16] <+deino|letsplayemerald> time to die flannery

[20:17] <+deino|letsplayemerald> did that take
[20:17] <+deino|letsplayemerald> less than 20 seconds[/BOX]

Jellicent came up big here, OHKOing everything but Torkoal, which was a nifty 2HKO.

Pokemon League, get prepared. 4/8

After this battle, my team ended up with Raseri at Level 25, prem at Level 26, Wobbanaut at level 26, and Jellicent at Level 29.

That's all for the fourth installment of Let's Play Pokemon Emerald! Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions, I love to hear them. If you like what I have so far, please say so! Every luvdisc is appreciated. :) It's also okay to request to have a Pokemon named after you. Please only do this if you can take a joke, I like to tease my teammates. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it and stay tuned for the next update!

Let's Play!

I was hoping you'd pick Treeco, because I have never seen anyone pick him.

Good luck with Tate & Liza, that battle is hard

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BoD! Love the Let's Play, Emerald has always been my favourite main series game and the humour you associate with each of your clips is terrific. I get to be the strongth mon amirite ;)

deinosaur

Welcome to installment #5 of:

This episode is titled:

Project DTC

As the title suggests, in this episode, we are off to catch a crappy user. I attach my newly obtained Go-Go Goggles and set off to the desert. The first Pokmeon I meet was the one I was looking for. I also knew it must be DTC because it used Sand-Attack 4 times before I caught it, never actually attacking me.

Sorry Trapinch. :c

So I attach my Exp. Share and get to work. After my first few battles, I realized something was wrong. I wondered why Trapinch was dealing so little damage (besides the fact it was DTC) coming off a base 100 attack stat. Then it hit me, Dark-type is special in RSE. AUUUGGGGHHHHH. So I teach him TM28 Dig, and now he starts wrecking shit.

At Level 21, Trapinch had the second-highest attack stat.

Now that we got that figured out, the only problem I have with Trapinch is that blazing base 10 speed. Oh well, I won't complain when he's a Flygon. Anyway, we work our way to the gym in Petalburg City. The gym trainers are absolutely zero trouble for my teammates, and we move on to Norman, the leader.

We are super sexy, except for prem and DTC, of course.

Raseri, this is the moment you've been training for. None of Norman's Pokemon can even touch him until we reach the crazy strong Slaking at the end. My strategy was to Steel Wing on the turns while he was loafing around, so that he couldn't wreck me with counter. This worked really well, except for the fact that Steel Wing is like an 8HKO. Combine that with multiple healing items, and it took absolutely forever to kill Slaking. But eventually, after all the Yawns and such, Raseri took him down for a huge amount of experience.

Over halfway there. 5/8

So this brings my team to Level 26 Wobbanaut, Level 26 prem, Level 27 DTC, Level 28 Raseri, and Level 29 Jellicent.

That's all for now! I apologize for the shortness of this update, but really very little happened besides the growing of DTC. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions, I love to hear them. If you like what I have so far, please say so! Every luvdisc is appreciated. :) It's also okay to request to have a Pokemon named after you. Please only do this if you can take a joke, I like to tease my teammates. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it and stay tuned for the next update!

Let's Play!

deinosaur

Episode #6 of:

The Abandoned Ship. Photo op!

So after collecting the HM Surf, I give it to Jellicent and we set off on our adventure. Of course, the old man is gone, so we have to swim all the way to Slateport City. On the way there, we find an old Abandoned Ship, and after searching through it we find TM13 Ice Beam, a great move. Anyway, we carry on towards Slateport, and eventually reach Mauville with no trouble at all. It is here we find the crazy old man from the gym trying to get us to go to his basement.

You want me to do WHAT?

We go down to New Mauville and find where all Magnemites came from...my god. SOOOOO MANY. I shut off the generator and return for my prize. TM24 Thunderbolt. Wobbanaut has been bothering me for a few days about getting this TM and giving it to him. I do so immediately. <3 We swim across the way and are greeted by our old friend Steven.

This is what I feel like when Smogonauts talk to me. "you remember me?"

We move north towards Fortree City, our final goal, when we encounter some tall grass. Being the child that I am, I couldn't waste the opportunity to play in it.

Peek-a-boo! :)

Up farther north, we reach the Weather Institute, taken over by Team Aqua. We beat up on the grunts inside easily, because I gave away Jellicent's useful TMs as a gift to DTC, who was sucking it up at this point. He needed physical moves. We recieve the crappy Pokemon Castform, which recieves a worthy name.

RODAN. <3

This is where he ends up. Sorry bud.

After this, we move outside to take on our rival. DTC beats up everything except Lombre and Grovyle, which Raseri takes down. No problem, HM Fly is ours. Now we move on to the gym. DTC and Wobbanaut take down all the gym trainers, and we heal up, preparing for the epic battle with Winona that lay ahead.

Our team is coming together nicely.

Raseri has no trouble 2HKOing Swablu and Tropius with Steel Wing and Air Cutter. Pelipper and Skarmory fall easily to Thunderbolts from Wobbanaut. Now out comes Altaria, and Raseri moves in to oppose her. The stupid thing sets up to +6 on my 5HKO Steel Wing, and we are in trouble now. Except for the fact that Aerial Ace from a +6 Altaria dpes a little over 15% to Raseri. Check and Mate. GG.

Champs. 6/8 woooooohooooooooo!

This leaves us with a team consisting of: DTC lvl 30, Wobbanaut lvl 30, prem lvl 30, Jellicent lvl 30, and Raseri lvl 32.

This is for Wobbanaut. <3

And that's all folks! Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions, I love to hear them. If you like what I have so far, please say so! Every luvdisc is appreciated. :) It's also okay to request to have a Pokemon named after you. Please only do this if you can take a joke, I like to tease my teammates. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it and stay tuned for the next update!

Let's Play!

Yes but I can't promise it will be used much, and if it's something ridiculous like Salamence (Texas...!), I may not get it at all.
Hmm......, the Safari Zone is kind of close, so can I be a Pikachu, Natu, (just one of these,of course), Rhyhorn, or Heracross?

deinosaur

Hmm......, the Safari Zone is kind of close, so can I be a Pikachu, Natu, (just one of these,of course), Rhyhorn, or Heracross?
Done.

Requests so far:

Texas Cloverleaf: Aggron
Keiran: Banette
Furret162: Female Rhyhorn
The Reptile: Luvdisc ( :D )
atsync: Feebas (maybe)

deinosaur

Welcome to Episode 6 of:

Hiding in the grass. :D

So we head south, towards Lilicove City. We trudge through the mud and the muck in the rainy weather. I've been training all of my Pokemon pretty evenly, but been favoring Jellicent because he can do some damage in the rain. Anyway, when we get down to about the Safari Zone, we learn that Team Aqua was chilling out in Mt. Pyre. Seeya in a minute, I have something I have to take care of first.

Keiran what a beast!

So now he head to Mt. Pyre to raise up our newly caught Keiran. I decide to take an alternate route instead of going straight for Team Aqua. After wrecking some easy trainers and making Keiran a boss, I find at the top TM30 Shadow Ball. A STAB physical attack for my fairly strong Shuppet? Sweet. (So yeah, I don't know as much about this game as I seem to sometimes :p) After receiving the Magma Emblem, I decide to take a detour and go to Lilycove.

May sucks.

Destroy this noob and go in for some shopping. Then I sneak away to get my Pokeblock Case from the performance hall. While I'm there, I have a little bit of fun.

DA COOLEST.

You are now looking at the champion of the Normal Rank Cool Contest. Get on my level. We move over to the Safari Zone to complete one of the cool requests I got from a loving fan.

Thanks for the luv gal!

Now we fly back to Lavaridge Town and get to the Team Magma Hideout. I spend all of my time in here training up DTC because of his constant complaining.

[BOX][18:01] <%DTC> I demand to be flygon before you fight the 7th gym leader[/BOX]

So we head farther and DTC finally reaches Level 35.

Tidbit: Vibrava is actually weaker than Trapinch. I needed it to not be slow as fuck.

I also see something else that the greedy, selfish user DTC has said.

[BOX][18:04] <%DTC> only train me
[18:04] <%DTC> the rest of your teammates?
[18:05] <%DTC> not worth it.
[18:05] <deino|letsplayemerald> you're the highest level selfish
[18:06] <%DTC> keep it that way[/BOX]

It is at this point that we meet up with Maxie of Team Magma for the final battle of this update.

A lovely team picture. <3

His team is 3-5 levels stronger than any pokemon on my team, but I have Raseri, so it's okay. I shit you not, Raseri took out Mightyena and Crobat all alone. No problemo. Camerupt went down to a Jellicent Surf, so this guy didn't faze me at all.

So that's all for Episode 6! Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions, I love to hear them. If you like what I have so far, please say so! Every luvdisc is appreciated. :) It's also okay to request to have a Pokemon named after you. Please only do this if you can take a joke, I like to tease my teammates. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it and stay tuned for the next update!

Let's Play!

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Just posting to say that I'm really enjoying reading this. I particularly like the fast pace. Some LPs have this habit of slowly going through the whole game and detailing absolutely everything which can get a bit boring to read through (at least it does for me), but you're just posting important points/highlights which makes it more enjoyable.

Keep it up!

P.S. I challenge you to catch a Feebas and name it after me.

Or you can catch whatever the hell you want and use my name for that instead :)

I'm enjoying this, but, erm, I'm a girl IRL, and the comment under the picture called me a guy. Also, could I evolve at some point before this is over?(Wait, I'd have to be Level 42. Never mind, unless you want to anyway.)

Hey there, new to Smogon. :) I love the commentary, and each episode has a very nice tempo to it. Emerald's my favorite storyline to play through, keep up the great work!

Just posting to say that I'm really enjoying reading this. I particularly like the fast pace.
Or you can catch whatever the hell you want and use my name for that instead :)

Same as you ! Emerald is my favourite game, and I love reading it :)

I stumbled upon this when Roxane was just beat. Come back after a few days and holy crap you're far! Awesome let's play. Keep it up.
BTW, can you name a Sableye after me?

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
This was a fun read, makes me want to put up a thread like this. Keep it up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)