SM OU Democrats Themed HO Team: 1600+ and climbing

Hello everyone! With politics such a popular issue these days, I decided to make a team based off the Democratic party, which I identify with. This is a very hyper-offensive team, containing a "pseudo-Deosharp" hazards core of Ferrothorn and Defiant Thundurus.

Elizabeth Warren (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is the hazard lead for my team. Unless I see a threat that can set up on or KO Ferrothorn, such as Volcarona or Marowak-Alola, I will usually lead with her. Stealth Rock and Spikes are the two obligatory hazard moves, while Gyro Ball and Power Whip allow Ferrothorn to hammer opposing Pokemon, such as Tapu Fini, very hard. Rocky Helmet severely chips opposing Pokemon that may try to use Rapid Spin, and Ferrothorn can set up new hazards on the same turn, due to its low speed. Note that I am not running the standard EV spread; this may not be optimal, but I prefer this very offensive setup. This is designed to maximize the power of Ferrothorn's attacks, allowing her to deal good damage to opposing Pokemon that may try to set up, weakening them enough for a scarfer or priority to take down. Ferrothorn is passive enough as it is, and I simply do not want to see a healthy, set-up sweeper on the other side. I am considering using Greninja as my hazard lead instead, but I have yet to test it.

Joe Biden (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus is the mandatory Defiant user necessary to deter or punish Defog. In Gen 6, I preferred Bisharp for this role, but Bisharp suffered a severe nerf recently (Sucker Punch power nerf and Tapu Lele), so I am using Thundurus instead. Wild Charge is Thundurus's STAB move, and does high damage to most Pokemon that do not resist it. Superpower provides Fighting type coverage, allowing Thundurus to take nuisances such as Excadrill, Heatran, Tyranitar, and Magnezone "behind the gym." Knock Off beats Marowak-Alola, who would otherwise wall Thundurus, and hits Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Garchomp on the switch, depriving them of their Scarf, and allowing Thundurus to KO next turn with HP Ice.

Michelle Obama (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball/Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Lele is a godsend to hyper-offensive teams, as its Psychic Terrain blocks priority attacks. Tapu Lele's STAB moves occupy the first two moveslots, leaving two more slots for coverage. Shadow Ball 2HKOs Metagross, a common switch in to Tapu Lele. HP Fire decimates Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn. Focus Blast may be an option over Shadow Ball, but I despise its abysmal accuracy.

Hillary Clinton (Pheromosa) @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Pheromosa is one of the best offensive Pokemon in the tier, and a staple on HO. This is a very basic LO Pheromosa set. High Jump Kick mutilates anything that doesn't resist it; U-Turn grabs momentum; Poison Jab and Ice Beam give Pheromosa extra coverage against the Fairy and Dragon types that litter the tier. The most common team archetype, offense, is always skating on thin ice with Pheromosa; one mistake by the opponent could end the game.

Barack Obama (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake/Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Mega-Metagross has it all: a decent speed tier (110), hefty bulk, and bone-crushing power. Meteor Mash is obligatory; Bullet Punch is useful for picking off weakened threats; Ice Punch obliterates the omnipresent "bulky grounds:" Landorus T and Garchomp. Zen Headbutt is very powerful under Psychic Terrain, but leaves Metagross open to Heatran and Magnezone. Earthquake may replace Zen Headbutt to hit those two Pokemon.

Bernie Sanders (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang/Fire Blast

With the blisteringly fast metagame in Gen 7, one scarfer is simply not enough. Choice Scarf Garchomp revenge-kills dangerous sweepers such as Volcarona and Charizard-X, which otherwise ravage this team after a boost. Earthquake and Dragon Claw are Garchomp's two STAB moves. Poison Jab hits the omnipresent Tapus, and Fire Fang/Blast smacks Steel types such as Ferrothorn.

Threats:

Rain teams can be a bit of an issue, as Ferrothorn is this team's only water resist. Luckily, Ferrothrorn does deal high damage to Kingdra with Power Whip, possibly allowing Metagross to finish Kingdra off with Bullet Punch, if hazards are up.

Last edited:
I like offense Ferrothorn, I bet it catches some people off guard. You could try ThunderPunch on Metagross, as I can see Mantine being annoying to deal with your only super effective hit on it coming from Thundurus. Also, I know it splits EVs but Thunderbolt > Wild Charge would save you recoil and also let you bluff being purely a special attacker. May make all the difference in killing/crippling Chansey. I run the spread of 112 Atk EVs and 144 SpA EVs. If full stall really becomes an issue (as it seems to be the higher on the ladder you go), you could try Grass Knot instead of HP Ice to kill Quagsire. You already have a good counter to Rock-moves coming from Garchomp / Landorus in Ferrothorn.

GL

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Where's Donald Trump?

But yeah, this looks like a reasonably solid team. The only think I'd really change is, on Ferrothorn, Knock Off over Power Whip. On the team that you're using, I doubt that you'll be getting many kills with Ferro without getting severely weakened (especially considering the focus of hazard stacking) - and I think Knock off could help you with winning vs various Eviolite users (Porygon2/Chansey etc.) and Lefties users like Clefable and Tapu Fini that might be able to wall off crucial turns for your team. Power Whip / Gyro Ball is EXTREMELY telegraphed, and I think catching items like so might add some versatility to your team.

Other then that, you're fine. Hilarious names, too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)