Deoxys (Defense Forme)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

Deoxys-Defense
  • Has stats of 50/70/160/70/160/90, which favors the defensive side of Deoxys and has little to offer offensively.
  • Has chip damage in moves like Extreme Speed, Power-Up Punch, etcetera, which cannot do much damage.
  • Has reliable recovery in Recover on top of defenses
  • Has access to Cosmic Power to increase defenses
  • Takes a good amount of damage from U-turn
[SET]
name: Cosmic Power
move 1: Cosmic Power
move 2: Recover
move 3: Power-Up Punch
move 4: Extreme Speed / Meteor Mash
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Pressure
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 Attack / 252 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Cosmic Power allows Deoxys-Defense to increase the already high Defense and Special Defense to astronomical (no pun intended) levels.
  • Recover allows Deoxys-D to regain 50% health, which, along with uses of Cosmic Power, makes Deoxys-D incredibly hard to KO, and even when damaged, Deoxys-D can regenerate health in a single move.
  • Power-Up Punch allows Deoxys-D to increase its Attack stat while doing damage to foes.
  • Extreme Speed gives Deoxys-D a priority move with relatively high power.
    • Ice Punch can be used instead of Extreme Speed to be able to hit opposing Ghost-type Pokemon, though at 5 lower base power and without priority.

Set Details
========

• Sitrus Berry is used as so to regenerate Deoxys-D's health early on, when it does not have an absurdly high Defense and Sp. Defense, allowing it to Recover if needed and continue to use Cosmic Power.
  • The EV spread above allows Deoxys-D to maximize defensive stats and therefore take less damage from hits.
  • 4 EVs in Attack with an Adamant nature allows for maximum offensive capability while still maintaining the ability to abuse the defenses of Deoxys-D.

Usage Tips
========

Bringing in Deoxys-D as a lead on Turn 1 allows Deoxys-D to set up with Cosmic Power and Recover early on and quickly, and so that your opponent does not have as much time to set up Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Tail Glow, etcetera. Alternatively, bringing it in after choice-locking an opposing pokemon into an attack it resists or when one of your Pokemon faints allow for a safe or near safe switch which minimizes damage to Deoxys-D while allowing it to set up. Afterwards, use Power-Up Punch to increase Attack, preferably to +6 (4n, with n being the stat unboosted, or "Before Modifiers"), and use Power-Up Punch and Ice Punch as needed to damage foes, by which would do more damage. If running Extreme Speed, just spam Extreme Speed. Continue to use Recover as needed throughout the battle.

Team Options
========

Checks to the types Bug, Dark, and Ghost cover Deoxys-D' weaknesses against opposing teams, such as Xerneas, Yveltal, and Groudon-Primal, can allow Deoxys-D to basically become unrivaled against opposing teams, tanking any hit and doing upwards of 20% from any hit at +6. Arceus, preferably the Extreme Killer set, can be sent out after Deoxys-D to sweep the remaining opposing team with Extreme Speed, Judgment, or any other move after setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Spikes can also be used instead of an attacking move, but it only leaves 1 slot for an attack and leaves Deoxys-D vulnerable to Taunt.
  • A special set may also be used, with Charge Beam and Psycho Boost, or Nasty Plot, but Nasty Plot does not do any damage along with its stat increase, Charge Beam has a 30% chance to not increase Sp. Attack, and Psycho Boost, though powerful, will force one to set up in order to bring Special Attack back to +/-0 or to set up +2 again, and the strategy is vulnerable to Dark-types (who are immune to Psychic), as it requires Psycho Boost (a Psychic-type move) to do a high amount of damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

• Taunt - Taunt strips Deoxys of its ability to use Cosmic Power and Recover to wall any Pokemon, and forces it to attack, which its stats do not favor.
    • Heal Block is also a threat to this set, but only affects Recover.
  • Any force-switch out move or item - When a Pokemon is switched out, it loses all stat changes, whether positive or negative, and Cosmic Power relies on status changes to heighten Deoxys' defenses.
  • Ghost-Types - The version of the above set that uses Extreme Speed is completely walled against Ghost-types, as Ghost is immune to both Normal and Fighting. Ghost-types also have STAB super-effective moves against Deoxys.
  • Any Critical Hit - Critical hits bypass status changes in Pokemon, so any move that lands a crit against Deoxys will use the unboosted 260-ish (Sp.) Defense into damage calculation.
  • Burn, Poison, Infestation, Leech Seed - Attacks of these types and damaging status do damage based on percentage and are unaffected by defenses. Burn, specifically, is a hard counter to this set on the offensive half, because it halves physical Attack, which is the category that this set uses.

Because this says 'Quality Control', I will "comment".

I'm convinced you have done little to no research, and if you have done any, it's in the low ladder.

Your set is raped by Marshadow and walled by Necrozma-Dusk-Mane. The main set you have right now is utterly abused by Marshadow, which comes in really easily, steals any boosts that Deoxys may have obtained, and then can proceed to abuse said boosts with utterly terrifying results.
Further, you have made absolutely no reference to Lugia, which is shocking given that it almost completely outclasses this mon, trading the ability to set hazards (which you make almost no reference to in this analysis) for Defog, Speed, Multiscale, an immunity to Ground, and (funnily enough) better offenses. Necrozma-DM walls your set to hell and back.

I'd also argue that Arceus formes outclass Deoxys-D as well, as they have better speed, better typings, much more offensive presence, and moves such as Defog, Refresh, and Stealth Rock in exchange for Spikes and Pressure. That's a very good deal, in my opinion.
As a Spikes setter, I'd sooner use Deoxys-S and even Deoxys-A and Greninja before using this mon.

Also, doing damage is not a trait we look for in our setup moves. Setup moves are supposed to boost our damage afterwards, and I'm shocked that you would put down Power-Up Punch when literally nothing uses it despite a good portion of the meta learning the move. Thus, REMOVE CHARGE BEAM AND POWER UP PUNCH FROM THIS ANALYSIS!!!! If you look at setup at all in this analysis, it should be directed almost exclusively at Nasty Plot, which Marshadow cannot do a lot with.

No matter what you do with this set, it will always be Gothitelle bait, which is a terrible thing to be. Why in the name of Arceus is Gothitelle completely absent from this analyisis....

In my opinion, the final set should be a Spikes setter, as what this offers, at least to my eyes, is the bulkiest Pokemon that can set Spikes. In fact, I believe that it should always be ran with Spikes.

Please do more research, or ask experienced players, before continuing on this analysis, or the only result that will come of this will be that your week will be ruined by QC, and this analysis will ruin theirs.

Thank you for reading, and I wish you the best of luck in writing this analysis, and hopefully many more to come.

The formatting will take a bit of fixing, but my main problem with this is the content. This is in the QC stage, which means we are to take it at face value and criticise it as we see it, as well as approve or reject.

As it stands, there are far too many things to change to have this anywhere near QC standards. I'd be better off writing this myself and giving you an importable than criticising every line, which annoys you as much as it does myself. The entire analysis is in the completely wrong direction, and there is no feasible way for us to fix it - that is on you to know the basics first and foremost. My suggestion is to put more time into learning the game, tier, and C&C processes before contributing to analyses.

QC Rejected All/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)