Deoxys-S QC (2/3) not rdy for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

-So Good
-Access to a wide load of Support Moves!
-Unlike Deo-A, can actually manage to get up rocks against Mega Khan, and
a fair bit more, so when aided by Focus Sash, can usually manage to get up Rocks and one layer of Spikes
-It's job has become significantly harder due to Defog
-Great for HO Teams
-Knock Off received a power buff, and the side effect adds to Deoxys's utility
-Faster than the entire game
-However, Magic Bouncers are really, really rare now, so that's a plus for it
-One trick pony :[, despite having great moves, all its stats are average bar speed, which limits its capabilities
-Sets up hazards and dies, essentially forcing you to play the match with 5 pokemon, totally worth it though if you can abuse the hazards throughout the match

Hazards Lead
########
name: Hazards Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Knock Off / Magic Coat
move 4: Stealth Rock / Magic Coat
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

-Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, however there are still many other very viable pokemon in Ubers who can use Stealth Rocks in conjunction with Spikes that Deoxys-S can set
-Spikes is another good hazard to use after Rocks
-Taunt is there mainly so that defoggers can't just come in and defog away your hazards
-Taunt also prevents other leads from getting Rocks on you, and from Set Up Sweepers from setting up in front of you.
-Knock Off is really nice to knock off any potential items / sashes before Deoxys-S hits the dust
-Magic Coat is good to mess around with other Deoxys-S/Prankster Users/Smeargle and other hazard leads, but is a 50/50 if your opponent is aware of the move

Set Details
========

-Max Speed so fast as possible
-Max Attack so if you chose to use Knock Off, it hits as hard as possible
-If not using any attacks on Deoxys-S, a max HP spread can be used to in rare cases allow it to set up later on in the match
-Max Attack allows Deoxys-S to 2HKO Smeargle when factoring in the power drop once Smeargle is itemless
-Focus Sash almost always ensures that Deoxys-S can get past the first turn.

Usage Tips
========

-Don't always try leading Deoxys-S, especially if the opponent has a a pokemon that will make things difficult for Deo-S (Prankster Taunt / Tyranitar / Magic Bounce and the likes), try to anti lead their anti lead, and bring Deoxys-S back at another time so it can get multiple layers
-In a lead-lead situation when facing a Pokemon who has the potential to use defog, set up rocks, and then taunt to ensure that they aren't removed.
-Prediction is really important when against Prankster Taunt, other Deo-S, and even Extreme Killer Arceus (as if you taunt t1 for fear of SD, and they shadow claw, they can E/S to pick you off, leaving you with no layers)
-In some cases, Knocking Off a pokemons item, for example Choice Scarfers is more additional than getting an extra layer of hazards for your team, even though that is what Deoxys-S mostly does.

Team Options
========

-Something to anti lead Pranksters/Other Deoxys-S (Ekiller/Giratina-O)
-Darkrai can come in after rocks are up and put something to sleep
-Best suited on HO Teams who can put a lot of pressure on your opponents team
-Fast Pokemon utilizing Taunt, Mewtwo / Darkrai / Thundurus-I that can outspeed common taunt users
-Pokemon on your team shouldn't be too weak to Stealth Rock, as teams which utilize Deoxys-S shouldn't run a defogger (as that is counter productive)
-Gothitelle can be used to trap Defoggers and eliminate them, but it requires you to still have Deoxys-S alive to set up rocks after Arceus has defogged them away
-Gengar makes a great teammate, as it can both trap defog users and knock them out, it also has access to taunt, as well as being able to spin block! It's also a good option for HO teams.

Other Options
########

-Dual Screens Set holding Light Clay can be used, but much harder to keep screens up due to Defog
-A bulky Rocky Helmet set can be used as a surprise factor to damage any anti leads that rely on Contact moves to deal with Deoxys-S
-Psycho Boost can be used as a fourth move to damage other potential leads much harder than Knock Off will, but Knock Off's utility of removing the items is really nice
-Thunder Wave can be used to cripple a random Pokemon before Deo-S hits the dust, but doesn't really fit in with Deo-S
-Ice Beam and Extreme Speed can be used to beat Rayquaza and Deoxys-A that try to anti lead you.
-Toxic can cripple Arceus Formes for the rest of the game, or any support pokemon lacking status healing
-Fire Punch destroys Scizor/Gene/Forret (it might fail to get the OHKO on bulky Scizor formes and Foretress however)

Checks & Counters
########

**Prankster Taunt**: Completely shut down leads lacking Magic Coat, while forcing those who have Magic Coat into a 50/50. Prime examples being Thundurus and Sableye.

**Defoggers**: While might not be able to Defog in front of Deoxys-S due to taunt, they can come in after Deoxys-S is knocked out, and Defog away all potential Screens/Hazards.

**Spinners**: Though not used nearly as much, but can be extremely effective as some teams now don't even carry Ghost Type Pokemon on Deoxys-S teams to prevent a spin. Excadril and Kabutops are good examples of spinners who work well with weather to abuse their boosted speed stat to get a spin off.

**Priority**: Priority Users like Giratina-O and Extreme Killer Arceus can knock out Deoxys-S with priority after it has been brought down to its Sash, thus limiting it to one layer. Giratina-O can also even defog away the very hazards Deo-S set.

**Multi Hit Moves**: Pokemon having moves that hit Multiple Times can limit Deoxys-S to only one layer of hazards. Examples being Mega Khan (Fake Out + Taunt), Cloyster, and Scolipede.

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar can limit to one layer due to sand damage knocking it out after it has been brought down to its Sash.

*Gengar**: With the use of Icy Wind, Gegnar can both lower the speed of Deoxys-S, and break its sash, then KO it in the following turn. Gengar must be wary of Knock Off and Psycho Boost, as Knock Off does around 50% while Psycho Boost will flat out OHKO Gengar.

**Magic Coat**: A surprise Magic Coat can send a Taunt right back to Deoxys-S, stopping it from doing its job, and even a Hazard had it used a Hazard.

Last edited:
Ready for QC! Might've missed a few things, will add things as they pop up in my mind. also me and Melee Mewtwo had a chat and he wanted other QC's input on weather Dual Screens gets its own set, or just a OO mention.

Last edited:

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
Mention that it's a one trick pony (good movepool but apart from Speed all its stats are average or worse). It doesn't just survive Kangaskhan but generally survives a ton more, which importantly lets it get SR+Spikes against a lot of things.

Set
Jolly pls. Taunt also prevents set up (you're probably not winning against +6 Ekiller even with a 4 layer hazard advantage and you don't want opponents setting hazards on you) and slower Taunts. Pls don't mention Magic Bounce (apart from maybe that it doesn't exist anymore in the Overview); it's not viable and Knock Off actually hits Espeon really hard and Xatu well enough (not Absol but srsly all the Magic Bouncers suck). The second usage tip also confuses me, what if they go for Taunt turn 1? I don't think you should explicitly advise how to predict, although you can mention what mons prediction is important against. Gengar is a great teammate, it's a fast Taunter, it can remove Defog users, it fits well on HO AND it can spinblock (OK it's not great at that but it can be an emergency stop and all the other stuff it does is great). Seriously this needs mention and emphasis.

OO
Yeah keep dual screens here. The biggest problem with them is that you're unlikely to get Screens AND SR, but you need SR for a lot of sweepers to sweep, and to guarantee SR you'd have to pair this with like Mega Aero, which is kinda a lame mon and means no Mega Blaze/Gengar/Mewtwo. Without SR, Blaziken has 4MSS (Even at +2 you don't break full HP Ho-Oh without Stone Edge, but without Knock Off you're screwed against Giratina, and if you're not running SD Blaze then why even screens) and lots of stuff struggles against Lugia. Obviously behind screens a lot of things are a terror, but I feel like it's too match up reliant in terms of what checks opponents have for mons (eg subgeo Xern would probably break most checks behind screens since they can't KO it fast enough, but phazing checks win either way, Blaziken is still stopped by something like Klefki + Kyogre, etc).

Twave also deserves mention imo, it can cripple random stuff quite nicely but just doesn't really fit.

C&C
Put Defog and Spin 2nd and 3rd, since nullifying what Deo-S did > limiting it (not that they're mutually exclusive but still). Magic Coat on random mons is pretty gimmicky so it goes last (and I think moves/effects/etc generally go after actual mons anyway). And again pls no Magic Bounce, those mons are not viable.

QC: 1/3

Blue J pls, Timid is clearly the best nature, and right I probably shouldn't say how to predict, buutttt, there is no defogger I know of that knows taunt (bar I think Mandibuzz), which is why I said put rocks first and taunt second so they don't defog away your rocks, but yeah I shouldnt have put how to predict lol oops,

EDIT: okay yeah i saw, it shudve been, if the pokemon has the ability to use Defog, Not taunt (as i had it previously), sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Skarmory learns Defog and Taunt and is actually Ubers viable (not that it's common or even remotely a good idea to send against Deoxys-S so not relevant).

Guys, somebody tell me if max attack is better than max hp? I liked max attack to 2HKO smeargle but they run nuzzle now soooooo

Also, this is what I had typed up as placeholder for the dex, take from it what you will.

Overview
########

- Still a really good hazards lead since it outspeeds everything
- Defog makes it easier for teams to deal with hazards but Taunt can prevent that unlike Rapid Spin
- Knock Off recieved a significant power buff and the side effect adds to Deoxys's utility
- Just sets up hazards and dies so you are pretty much going into the game with only 5 mons. Totally worth it though if you can keep the hazards up long enough and abuse them properly.

Hazards Lead
########
name: Hazards Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Knock Off / Magic Coat
move 4: Stealth Rock / Magic Coat
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

- Spikes is an excellent hazard and Deoxys-S is one of the few Pokemon that can set it up easilly
- Taunt stops the enemy from setting up on Deoxys-S or Defogging away its hazards
- Knock Off hits fairly hard and removes the target's item. This helps with Geomancy Xerneas amongst other things as well as opposing leads like Smeargle
- Stealth Rock is another important hazard and Deoxys-S sometimes find the chance to setup both hazards. There are many viable users of this move, though.
- Magic Bounce helps Deoxys-S beat Prankster Taunt users as well as add mindgames when leading off agaisnt other Deoxys-S. (although it's best to avoid that scenario if you can) It can be used over Stealth Rock if you have another teammate to use the move or over Knock Off.

Set Details
========

- Max Attack allows Deoxys-S to 2HKO Smeargle when factoring in the power drop once Smeargle no longer holds an item
- Max Speed allows Deoxys-S to outrun as much as possible and setup as many layers of hazards as possible
- If you aren't using Knock Off the attack evs can be moved to HP
- Focus Sash almost always makes sure that Deoxys-S gets to survive past the first turn

Usage Tips
========

- Lead with it and setup hazards, you rarely do much else
- Try to use team preview so that you don't have a bad lead matchup. If your opponent has a Mega Kangaskhan, odds are he/she is going to lead with it.
- Using Knock Off on a Choice Scarf holder, for example, can sometimes pay off more than an additional layer latter on in the game. Don't forget that Deoxys-S can do more than just lay down Spikes this gen even if that's still mostly the ony thing it does.

Team Options
========

- Fast Taunt users that can outspeed Arceus formes will help in keeping the hazards set by Deoxys-S up.
- Powerful setup sweepers can also disuade the opponent from Defogging and giving your Pokemon an additional turn of setup
- Shadow Tag Pokemon can also be used to trap Defoggers and eliminate them but they will require prediction and/or you still having Deoxys-S around to replace the hazards the Arceus forme will be able to Defog away before falling.
- Otherwise, just have a powerful offensive core to take advantage of the hazards Deoxys-S sets up

Other Options
########

- Toxic cripples arceus formes for the rest of the game
- Fire Punch destroys Scizor, Genesect, and Forretress
- Light Screen and Reflect can help a sweeper setup but generally setting up hazards is a better use of Deoxys-S
- Ice Beam can beat Rayquaza that try to anti-lead
- Extreme Speed can beat Deoxys-A that try to anti-lead as well

Checks & Counters
########

**Magic Coat**: Bounces back hazards and Taunt. Users need to not be vulnerable to Knock Off, however.
**Prankster Taunt**: If Deoxys-S doesn't have Magic Coat, prankster Taunt from the likes of Whimsicott or Thundurus will shut it down.
**Prority**: Strong priority or one used after a U-Turn or a poweful attack like V-Create can limit Deoxys-S to only one layer.
**Multi Hit Attacks**: Strong, muliple hit attacks can break past Focus Sash in a single turn and limit Deoxys-S to a single layer. Cloyster and Mega Kangaskhan are the most common examples.
**Rapid Spin**: Most Deoxys-S can't do much to a Rapid Spinner like Forretress or Excadrill who can easily Rapid Spin away any hazards and quickly KO Deoxys-S with Gyro Ball and Earthquake respectively.
**Residual Damage**: Residual damage from weather like Tyranitar's Sand Storm can finish off a Deoxy-S in the same turn that a strong attack like Crunch of Payback would knock it down to its Focus Sash.
**Defog**: Although Deoxys-S has Taunt, a Defog user can force Deoxys-S into mind games where it forces it to Taunt while the Defog user attacks. Defog can also be used after Deoxys-S has fallen to clear hazards.

List which mons have mulithit moves / priority / etc. since there tends to not be very many that are viable in ubers so having them all mentioned by name makes it easier to pick the one you want.

Mention a max hp spread in set details.

QC Approved 2/3

Okay MM2, implemented all that you asked and took what I could from your placeholder as well, will write this up sometime later this week

I won't be able to see this off :[ , sorry. Whoever ends up taking over can use or take w/e they want from the skeleton I wrote up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)