* It is the fastest Pokemon in the game, allowing it to outspeed all non-Choice Scarf users.
* It has access to a large number of utility moves, including Stealth Rock, Spikes, Taunt, Magic Coat, and Skill Swap.
* It is reasonably consistent at setting entry hazards.
* It only really fits on hyper offense.
* Its bulk is fairly average at best.
* It gets shut down by both Magic Coat and Magic Bounce, although the latter is somewhat remedied by Skill Swap.
* The Darkrai nerf has hurt Deoxys-S a lot, as it no longer has a consistent counterlead for threats like Cloyster and Excadrill.
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Spikes
move 4: Magic Coat / Skill Swap
item: Focus Sash
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
* Stealth Rock allows Deoxys-S to free up a moveslot in a teammate’s set.
* Taunt ensures that Deoxys-S isn’t turned into set up fodder by an opposing lead, most notably Darkrai.
* Spikes provides Deoxys-S with a secondary entry hazard to setup before it faints.
* Magic Coat can be used to reflect Taunts from opposing Deoxys-S, but this requires some prediction to work.
* Skill Swap is an alternative option to avoid being completely walled by Mega Sableye, the only relevant Magic Bounce user in the tier.
* A Focus Sash is used to make sure that Deoxys-S will almost always get up Stealth Rock against opposing leads.
* Rocky Helmet is viable to punish Rapid Spin users and physical priority, but it doesn't really have much of a niche outside of that and means that Deoxys-S is less consistent in getting up Stealth Rock.
* Maximum Speed investment is run to outpace opposing Deoxys-S leads.
* An alternate spread of 24 Spe / 232 Def / 248 HP with a Timid nature can be used if running Magic Coat, with the 24 Speed EVs being used to outpace maximum Speed Deoxys-A and Pheromosa.
* Deoxys-S should almost always be the lead Pokemon, unless anti-leads are seen in the Team Preview, in which case something that can beat that Pokemon should be used.
* Taunt should be used against defensive Pokemon that rely on status moves, as well as against set up sweepers to avoid becoming set up bait.
* Skill Swap should be selected against Mega Sableye to ensure Deoxys-S can set up Stealth Rock.
* If running Rocky Helmet, Deoxys-S should continually reset hazards against spinners, as they are punished more than it is.
* Primal Groudon with Swords Dance or Rock Polish makes for a good partner, as the use of Deoxys-S frees up its Stealth Rock slot.
* Arceus-Normal, Mega Salamence and Geomancy Xerneas also make decent teammates, as they appreciate the support from Stealth Rock and Spikes to grab KOs they otherwise wouldn't get.
* Other Pokemon that enjoy exploiting the additional chip damage from Spikes like Pheromosa are solid partners for Deoxys-S.
* Spinblockers such as Lunala and Giratina-O make for good partners as the Darkrai nerf means that Deoxys-S teams no longer have a reliable way to counterlead Rapid Spin users such as Excadrill and Cloyster.
* Mega Gengar has good synergy with Deoxys-S, since it can trap and eliminate Scolipede, allowing Deoxys-S to set hazards.
* Fast Taunt users such as Tapu Koko and Mewtwo are useful teammates for their ability to outspeed and Taunt support Arceus formes, which can otherwise Defog away hazards set by Deoxys-S when it is eliminated.
* A dual screens set is an option, but it forces Deoxys-S to run Light Clay over Focus Sash, making it less reliable at setting Stealth Rock.
* Deoxys-S can run a more offensive set with Psycho Boost to surprise some Pokemon, but its lackluster offenses mean that it's mostly outclassed by Deoxys-A in that regard.
Checks and Counters
**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye completely shuts down Deoxys-S with its ability Magic Bounce, although this can be nullified with Skill Swap.
**Scolipede**: Speed Boost means that Scolipede can easily anti-lead Deoxys-S by using Protect on the first turn and then potentially breaking its Focus Sash and OHKOing it on the second.
**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O can 2HKO Deoxys-S with Shadow Sneak and then proceed to Defog away any hazards it set.
**Darkrai**: Darkrai can force the Deoxys-S user to either Taunt and risk taking a Dark Pulse or go for Stealth Rock and possibly be put to sleep.
**Rapid Spin Users**: Other suicide leads with access to Rapid Spin, such as Cloyster and Excadrill, can beat Deoxys-S one-on-one, since they can get rid of all the hazards it sets without worrying about Taunt.
**Arceus-Normal**: Extreme Killer Arceus can force Deoxys-S to either Taunt to stop it from setting up or set up Stealth Rock, resulting in prediction games.
**Special Attackers**: Special attackers like Primal Kyogre, Calm Mind Arceus-Ghost and Yveltal can easily take care of Deoxys-S because its Special Defense is quite low when uninvested.
Last edited by a moderator: