ORAS Doubles OU deoxys speed's sand

Introduction:
Hello Smogon n_n Iv'e been building a lot of teams lately just trying to improve my teambuilding process and understand everything that I can because it's probably the thing I like the most about this game. So I wanted to build around sand because it's my favorite weather and undoubtedly the most underrated and overlooked playstyle in doubles. When people are building they don't generally think "Hey I need something for sand!" it's that uncommon. Also with people relying heavily on Thunder Wave to handle weather sweepers if I can eliminate the common things that give sand teams trouble(Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Amoonguss etc.) it can be a big problem for unsuspecting opponents.

The Team

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tyranitar
(
) @ Chople Berry

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 68 Def / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave/Ice Beam
- Protect

Tyranitar is the only viable choice for a sand setter because walls don't exist in doubles so Hippowdon is terrible(sorry n1n1) and Ttar has 10x the utility. Scarf Tar is a thing in VGC because the games are shorter so it doesn't have to take that many hits but I wanted to make mine bulky to be able to come in several times throughout the game. Chople berry allows you to take a hit from Keldeo, 0 attack Blaziken, and scarf Landorus-T. Lando is a big problem for Tyranitar+Excadrill so Ice Beam can be used over Twave but most players will assume Tar has a resist berry(shuca or chople) and just U-Turn out putting you in range for later. You can scout with Protect and switch accordingly but Thunder Waving threats like Metagross, Keldeo, and Kangaskhan is probably more useful. Taunt is there to prevent Trick Room from going up, stopping Amoonguss from causing havoc, and keeping Aegislash from subbing, using Wide Guard, or getting back into Shield Form. The attack EVs let Tyranitar break 56 hp Heatran Substitutes. The defense with the hp lets it survive 0 attack Blaziken's Superpower also Metagross' Iron Head and makes Meteor Mash a roll in your favor to live. The rest is thrown into special defense to better switch into Latios, Hydreigon, avoid being 3HKOed by Kyurem-B, and almost avoiding a 2HKO from Aegislash(4.7% chance to 2hko lol).
---

Excadrill (
) @ Life Orb

Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Excadrill in sand is extremely problematic for a lot of popular mons like Talonflame, Thundurus, Gardevoir, Charizard-Y, Kyurem-B, and Diancie. Focus Sash can be used over Life Orb but you really want the extra power and Excadrill seems weak without it. Drill Run is used over Earthquake because it has a 43% chance to OHKO Metagross that's the only notable thing that it misses out on. More importantly is not having to switch in one of my two ground immune pokemon or Protect if I ever want to Earthquake something. The spread is quite simple, 275 is a useless speed to have because nothing relevant hits that and it doesn't let you out speed anything notable in sand. 32 hp EVs gives Excadrill a Life orb number so it takes less recoil each turn it attacks. 263 is probably the most competitive speed tier in doubles; things like Kyurem-B, Charizard-Y, Bulky Thundurus, Bulky Hydreigon, Gardevoir, Hoopa-U, and Breloom are all hit around 262-266 so having 268 speed on Excadrill should be good to out speed all of them if I am not in sand(although the speed creep can get pretty crazy).
Azumarill
Breloom
Conkeldurr
Ferrothorn
Keldeo
Landorus-T
Rotom-W
Venusaur(mega)
Kangaskhan
Terrakion(Sash)
Gyarados
Milotic
Scrafty
Amoonguss
Suicune
Jellicent
Gourgeist
Rain(Politoad, Swampert, Kingdra, Ludicolo)

Looking at the things I'm weak to I know I need something that beats bulky water types, doesn't have a bad match up with Landorus-T, and can beat fighting types(mostly Breloom, Keldeo, and Terrak). I chose Mega-Venusaur because it does all of those things and benefits from what Excadrill and Tyranitar beat(Heatran, Talonflame, Latios, Charizard-Y, Gardevoir, Kyurem-B, Jirachi, Metagross, Aegislash, Deo-A, Togekiss, Blaziken, Volcarona, and Cresselia).
---​

Venusaur-Mega (
) @ Venusaurite

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Venusaur is a key member on this team not only does it switch into and beat every relevant water and fighting type(barring like Kingdra, Blaziken, Infernape) it's also quite the threat in Tailwind being able to Sleep Powder most of it's common switchins(non-goggles steels, Kyurem-B) or 2HKO them(Latios, Hydreigon). Chlorophyll is nice before evolving because if you're up against sun you can use the speed boost to your advantage. I'm using Giga Drain over any other grass move because with sand and possible Scald or Will-O-Wisp burns getting hp back is really nice. The speed EVs let me out speed Adamant Scarf Landorus-T in Tailwind. The rest of the EVs have no specific purpose.
Ferrothorn
Landorus-T
Heatran(If it gets up a sub)
Metagross(Drill Run doesn't OHKO)
Kangaskhan(Huge threat)
Aegislash(Drill Run doesn't OHKO)
Blaziken
Infernape
Kingdra
Scrafty
Trick Room
No Earthquake immunity
Amoonguss
Terrakion
Virizion
Hydreigon
Keldeo

The things that I am most worried about are Kangaskhan, Heatran, Aegislash, and Landorus-T. I originally added Keldeo but saw that Metagross was a HUGE problem, not being able to out speed Lando, and not getting the immediate OHKO on Ferrothorn and Aegislash bothered me. Blaziken was the obvious choice, it did everything I wanted Keldeo to do and more.
---​

Blaziken (
) @ Life Orb

Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Superpower
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Blaziken probably has the biggest role on this team...it is my #1 answer to Kangaskhan and most immediate way to beat Landorus-T. Aside from beating those 2 Blaziken is a huge threat and can OHKO a ton of top tier threats. Always use Life Orb on Blaziken because it's not Deo-A and needs the extra boost to pick up most of it's KOs and is terrible without it. 176 special attacks EVs let it OHKO standard 252 hp Aegislash and Amoonguss Landorus-T go down easily. The 80 attacks EVs get a guaranteed OHKO on 108 hp Kyurem-B and max speed Naive lets it out speed scarf Lando after 1 speed boost.
No Earthquake immunity/resists
Conkeldurr
Scrafty
Blaziken
Infernape
Keldeo
Trick Room
Kangaskhan
Rotom-W
Rain, Hydreigon, Amoonguss, Virizion(to an extent)

The main thing I need is an Earthquake immunity because having an Eq weak team is no fun and when you play someone with a Landorus(like 90% of the time) it is going to put on so much pressure and you'll have a very tough time. Roost Togekiss is a great addition to the team because it forces Landorus to Rock Slide(which I can roost off) so I can switch to Excadrill, Tar, or Venusaur. It can also redirect attacks away from Excadrill and Blaziken so they can stick around for the majority of the match. Lastly it switches in and can redirect/pressure a majority of the mons I listed above.
---​
Togekiss (
) @ Safety Goggles

Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 96 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind/Thunder Wave
- Roost

Togekiss is the glue of this team. It gives me a solid answer to most fighting types and redirection on any team is greatly appreciated. Sadly enough Blaziken is the only thing that can out speed and OHKO Kangaskhan so redirecting with Togekiss and beating it with Excadrill, Venusaur, or Hydreigon will have to be my secondary defense which isn't ideal but it's better than nothing. Getting up Tailwind for Venusaur and Hydreigon is also a big thing that Togekiss does. Goggles lets it avoid sand damage, getting redirected by Amoonguss, and being put to sleep by powder moves. If you changed Twave for Ice Beam on Tar you can consider changing Tailwind for Thunder Wave although I like Tailwind more. The EVs let it survive an Iron Head from Metagross, out speed scarf Landorus in Tailwind, and the rest is thrown into special defense.

I'm not necessarily completely vulnerable to some of these things but adding another thing to check them would not hurt at all.

Another ground immunity
Bisharp
Metagross
Ferrothorn
Heatran
Rotom-W
Kyurem-B
Aegislash
Bulky Ghosts
Trick Room
Kangaskhan to an extent

Hydreigon is the only thing I can think of that can check/beat all of these mons. It gives me another ground immunity and Rotom-W switchin which were greatly needed. Also Excadrill keeping Diancie and other fairy types in check really give it the freedom to spam its attacks.
---​

Hydreigon (
) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

I'm not really sold on what Hydreigon set I should use. Choice specs makes me a bigger threat to Trick Room setters, guarantees an OHKO on Kangaskhan with Draco, and is not worn down as quickly by sand+Life Orb. With Life Orb however I don't have to get crazy with my predictions and I can utilize Protect to KO a pokemon that is threatening Hydreigon with it's partner or Protect and get up Tailwind. This spread has no significance just max speed to at best tie with other Hydreigon(no one uses Timid) and hit as hard as possible.
---​

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 68 Def / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Superpower
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 96 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

finally because he wanted one lol

qsns for giving me inspiration for a title :3(nvm)

shaian 3:

Sun
: This is probably what I have the best match up against. Ttar, Excadrill(which should out speed standard Charizard-Y), a Chlorophyll boosted Venusaur if sun is up, Blaziken, and a Hydreigon should all add up to an easy game.

Rain
: I have Ttar to change the weather and a MEGA VENUSAUR the best rain counter a kid could ask for. Also Hydreigon can take some rain boosted hits and do big damage to Ferrothorn while its raining with Fire Blast which is nice because I hate Ferro rain with a passion. Togekiss can also redirect so Hydreigon/Blaziken can beat their swift swim pokemon.

Trick Room
: The toughest type of team to go up against. I have Taunt on Ttar but most setters are paired with a fighting type with Fake Out so that might not work out. The next best thing I have for it is pressuring the setters with Hydreigon. If Trick Room does goes up I can Protect stall, and Togekiss can redirect powerful attacks and stall out turns with Roost.

Hyper Offense
: Again one of my easier match ups. Most HO teams don't have much for Excadrill in sand and Blaziken + redirection.

Bunnies
: I have a Venusaur lol so Azumarill+Amoonguss isn't going to be a problem. I also have redirection so Mew's Transform will be directed at Togekiss stopping it from becoming a +2 Kang or +6 Azu. Blaziken also really puts on the pressure against Amoonguss, Heatran, non-scarf Lando, and Kang.

If anyone knows how to minimize weather damage(like what your hp has to be divisible by) that would be great for Venusaur and Hydreigon(unless it takes more than like 20 EVs to do on Hydreigon). Anyways thanks for reading :s

innovative things

Last edited:
LOL get a good kyub switch in

Well, from what i'm aware, to take less sandstorm damage, your HP number should be on the lines of this equation:
HP = 16*n - 1
So for Hydreigon, this applies in the following way:

16*21 = 336-1 = 335 which takes 40 HP EVs or 16*20 - 1 = 319 which takes you to have 25 HP IVs. I suppose you can do the math n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)