Lifestyle The Mental Wellness Thread

Hey there everyone, I am not posting a lot on Smogon Forums due to various reasons (mostly homework), but I am so glad there is a topic about depression, because I myself had some terrible experiences, in separate years.

NOTE: I am actually free from this demon, but I still feel the need to tell my story to people.

Enough, let's go.

First incident: 4 years ago, 2015

I had just entered middle school, when I was 13 years old. I was just a simple and quiet nerdy kid, just ignored by many people and being a very good studend (I was called a wonderkid by my teachers in elementary), until some bullies started to pick on me, because of one major reason: I was emotionally sensitive and reacted poorly to insults. This started once as simple taunting, but then people started spawning false rumours about me, such as being gay (chants like "Peter is gay" were rampant even though I am not gay) or, even worse, autistic and retarded, insults that still haunt me to the present day. (there is nothing wrong with autistic people, I personally know some who are very good and friendly people). The worst part of this experience was when I was invited to a party for one main reason: to be the punching bag, as I suffered terrible abuse at the hands of all the douchebags that were my classmates.

What made it worse was the fact that some teachers were against me as well, one of them outright saying that I must be transferred to a special needs school due to my somewhat spastic reactions I had at the time. In fact, that teacher deliberately dropped my grade just to make me look like a total fool. I still feel angry about this particular person, but I don't express it out loud. Besides, she was not mean to me the following years.

In general, teachers would not believe me about the bullying, because when you see a kid that is considered a retard crying, who is the culprit according to them?

I had virtually no friends back then, forcing me to stay inside home for a long time, which concerned my parents a lot. They did not know anything about it, so they were desperate to learn, but I refused to do so. This led to depression, which culminated in the development of another demon I faced for 4 years ever since starting, internet and gaming addiction, very severe at the starting point as I was literally sitting 12-14 hours at the computer, at one point even until 3-4 AM. These were horrible times.

Luckily, I made a friend who helped me endure this, as at that point I had developed suicidal thoughts (I told him even once "I AM GONNA KILL MYSELF".). After a day I was beaten up by a jock and embarrased in front of the entire school (I was the laughing stock of the school), he called my parents to inform everything going on. Then, I admitted everything was going on, prompting my father to contact a teacher who was a family friend and highly supportive of me to end this hell. The results of this was punishments for all the bullies, especially the main one, who was leading the pack, and a slow return to my normal life, after putting myself and my family into emotional turmoil.

My life would go back to normal, especially after overcoming internet addiction in late 2017.

However, this is not the end. Separate incident indeed, but what I am gonna say still haunts me in an even worse way.

Second incident: Late 2018-Early to Mid 2019

Remember when teachers called me a wonderkid and a top student? Well, in High School, these days faded away. As a result of internet addiction, I neglected my schoolwork in 10th grade, causing my grades to slip. At that point, I realised that I wanted to leave my current focus in schoolwork (I was a physics student, but I decided to go to economics in order to become a programmer), which caused me to shift entirely my focus. However, in the beginnings of 11th grade, I was forced to go to the physics class due to lack of an economics class for 11th graders, as the physics clash would split into two in 12th grade, physics and economics (I am currently in the latter).

I had told to myself that this would be the year that I would improve and stop the bullshit of the previous years. However, the opposite would happen due to my mental health literally collapsing. I will tell what would exactly happen during my worst ever school year, in all factors.

As I told before, I am quite a geek who loves non-mainstream stuff, am friends with pretty much every geek of my school community and would like to see a geeky girl show up. So, when I saw one particular girl that I had actually forgotten her existence in the previous years but would remember her later as one who would much my type, -surprise, surprise-, I fell in love with her at literally first sight.

My feelings at first were euphoric, and I was ecstatic, hoping that I would finally start a real relationship (I was obviously single, and still am, because which girl in a mainstream and conforming community like mine whould want the school geek?). However, they started to get too distracting, as I literally wasted lots of time thinking about her instead of doing important stuff, like schoolwork, which set off a terrible decline that I will explain right now.

Well, lemme tell you guys that I had to keep that crush a secret from everyone, except for a few trusted friends of mine. I have my reasons about this.

First, it is in my family. You see, that girl is originally from Albania, and this certain country is hated to most people of my country Greece, due to some stereotypes about crime existing. My parents are no exception to this, as they say that they are all evil backstabbers. The backlash I would recieve from my own family to liking someone from a "dreaded" country is obvious, so I kept my mouth shut when they asked me if I was crushing on anyone. They still don't know about my past feelings, and they will never learn.

Second, it is in my school in general. The class she is a part of has VERY close bonds, to the point they are like a fucking brotherhood or cult, and they are highly critical of students from the other classes. (same grade, but split evenly into 4 classes, all students there) Which meant that I was denied access to her class and try to approach her. Add my reputation as a highly controversial person, and this increased the difficulty of the situation. Also, it is worth mentioning that if something about love leaks around them, they WILL spread it everywhere.

Lastly, it was inside me. I am personally a very socially awkward and shy person, ESPECIALLY around girls, I simply did not possess the guts to speak to them out of fear of humilitation and failure. This is perhaps the biggest factor, since this forced me to keep it a secret all along from the school. Every time I attempted to speak to a girl, I would start stuttering and fail to even say a word. This happened every time she would be near me. Often my friends would speak so I would avoid slipping up and potentially ruining everything. A pain in the ass indeed, but was enough to not allow her to suspect anything about my odd and somewhat erratic behavior. (I would often sweat and get a hypertention everytime I made eye contact).

This emotional turmoil combined with my inability to adapt into schoolwork again started to take its toll on my mental health, which was starting to become more and more fragile every day.

My schoolwork problem in fact caused me to write some extremely awful grades, including failing a physics test and even being at risk of failing to even get past the lesson in first place. This caused me to have some really awful arguments with my parents, which led to me yelling at them and feeling like a total piece of junk that would fail in his life. Suicidal thoughts momentarily came back, but I stopped them. But this was not the real problem.

I had in general a real anger problem caused by my shitty mental state, which led me lashing out very violently, such as smashing stuff (I broke my keys and a shelf during these breakdowns), yelling very vulgar profanities and even threatening to beat up the world and such. I was not myself at that point, I was a monster. I would ruin my relationships with my family, treat my friends like scum, ignore everything in life and all the bad things you would expect from a person in this situation.

Then, a few months later, my already fragile mentality would collapse entirely...

After months of contemplating to tell my crush about my feelings in order to end this hell (I had frequent dreams about her, in one case 4 dreams in 4 successive days), I decided to finally admit it. A decision that I still regret.

I would step inside her class (with some help from my best friend due to being on the verge of getting a stress attack), ignore her toxic classmates, approach her (with help from one of her classmates that actually was a friend of mine), take her outside and finally say it.

And then, the inevitable happened: She rejected me, causing my inner word to collapse...

As for the consequenses, imagine how I would lash out, but far worse...

My sadness had hit a breaking point, until one day I finally snapped. One day that my sister pissed me off, I went ultra psychotic, starting to throw stuff everywhere, cursing in a horrible manner (even blasphemous insults that I heavily regret saying) and moving spastically while threatening to attack everyone. In the end, I started to cry loudly, screaming for this hell to end and asking for help. When my mother asked me what was bothering me, I would not answer why. In fact, I did not know why I was screaming for help. Only recently I realized that I snapped due to my inability to come to terms with the rejection as well as my personal anger for virtually ruining my life.

After this incident, I spoke to my friends about the severity of my situation and gave them a heart-felt apology for my past mistakes and behavior. They would help me come to terms with my situation and my feelings and allow me to remove depression for good.

The month after the end of the school year, I was finally free from this demon and started to restore everything I had runed during my depression stint, from interacting better with my family to improving my schoolwork and the such.

During holidays, I had some nasty flashbacks about all of this, along with dreams about my now former crush, but I overcame them after realizing that it is pointless to fight against them.

Present day: I am currently very happy, as my life is going forward to better stuff. I am a better student, a good friend and a good and cooperative family member. About that certain girl as well as my bullying experience, everything is just a distant memory of the past.

For all of those with similar stories with me, you are not and will never be alone. Always find someone to be at your side because this will guide you to freedom. I hope all you guys on this topic will understand me, even though it is not the most severe depression case you will see.

Last edited:
Hey hey hey, kind of a rushed update (on phone and its late so sorry if my wording is off or w.e). I've still been doing the therapy / counseling sessions w.e and it's honestly helping a lot. We've gotten down to basically the root of my issues which goes back to like home environment and the way I've internalized certain things and how I externally react to stuff.

Anyway I can go on forever about this but the biggest thing is for the past week or so I've had pretty much 0 anxiety attacks!!! This is actually pretty surprising and new since I'd usually get an attack at least once a day but things that usually trigger it are not triggering it.

Man, I'm honestly really happy and hope things remain this way. It's so much easier to function and get through the day without anxiety.

3 months since I've started therapy and I've gotten rid of severe suicidal thoughts and anxiety (hopefully!!!!!). Now the next thing to work on is discipline and general motivation. I got a plan for that too. Might update this post w specific details sometime later this week. I just wanted to post this because I'm really happy with my progress and wanted to let others know that it is possible to get through these things

Big shoutouts to my man FlamingVictini , I actually learn a lot about myself whenever we talk and come out of it smarter. Love u bro

Ps: as always my discord pms are open if anyone needs to talk / vent / wants advice on anything at all. It's better to talk to someone, anone than to keep your feelings bottled up.

Good luck to anyone else struggling with mental health issues. Don't give up. Damn there's actually a lot I want to say now regarding dealing w suicidal thoughts and anxiety attacks so ig I'll make a post w how i dealt w em sometime this weekend. But seriously don't give up. U guys rock
Damn my last post was in march 2018. Going through my posts in this thread was a nice reminder of everything I had been through. My first post was Oct 2016 where the struggles began but I thought I was too cool for therapy, then December 2017 where I pretty much fucked up real bad, and then again in March where things kind of got better. Well, here's an update:

- Summer 2018: my longtime gf broke up with me which devastated me. That summer was really hard but the thing that made me really happy was that I didn't totally relapse into suicidal thoughts or major depression. I felt like I was dealing with it in a mature and healthy way (well not really but at least I didnt wanna kill myself). I've had suicide issues for a while so not having to deal with that was extremely refreshing and empowering

- Fall 2018: business as usual. School school school which was really tough buuuuuuuuut I was actually pretty disciplined this time. Doing (most of my) homework on time, studying properly and efficiently, procrastinating less, etc. I had 1 bad week where I procrastinated hard on a paper but my prof gave me some leeway and let me submit it late. This was the first semester in a long time where I got a bunch of A's. Felt awesome. Also, started dating this wonderful girl who gave me something to look forward to daily.

- Spring 2019: same as above but a LOT less fuck ups. I was pretty on top of my shit which I was really proud of. And guess what bros? I graduated!!!!!!!!!! There's a special kind of pride in graduating as a first-gen college student but also because of how difficult this journey was for me. Multiple times throughout my 4 years, I was told by my advisor, therapists, counselos, etc etc that a break is best. I should consider dropping out or taking a semester off. But I was able to get my shit together and get my degree. With a gpa I can be happy with on top of that. Also, I ended stuff with ^ girl and got back with my ex and our relationship is now 100x healthier

- Now: My relationship with my family and friends have improved immensely, my relationship w my gf has been pretty wonderful, I recently started a new job that I love, and I honestly feel like I'm in in control of my life.

I remember the days where I'd think "maybe i'll have to live with depression forever", "yeah whatever it's just something i have to deal with", "it's a part of me". Happy to tell you guy that it's not. I truly genuinely believe that I'm no longer depressed. It's honestly an absurd change because I was SO used to waking up every morning feeling so drained, not looking forward to the day, dreading talking to people, you name it. I was so used to procrastinating on this and that, feeling sad or empty for seemingly no reason, having random emotional outbursts or mood swings when my body felt like it. But today, things are better, life is better, I am better.

I wanted to make this post not only to mention my progress and how happy I am about it, but to also inform those who are struggling that there is hope. You won't always live like this and it does get easier and eventually better. However, you need to work for it. Much easier said than done since it takes literally every fiber of your being to move forward.

That being said, I'm not 100% cured or 100% mentally healthy. Depression and anxiety are separate things and I still gotta deal with the anxiety. I still get small waves and mild panic attacks sometimes so it's something I'm working on.

I eventually wanna detail the changes I made to my life that I believe helped me become healthier but it'll take some time to gather my thoughts. There are tons of people struggling with exactly the same shit I did and when they talk to me about it I find it difficult to relate to. Crazy right? The depressed me was such a different person that I literally can't believe that was me right now.

Anyway, my #1 advice to those struggling is to talk to someone about it. Ideally a therapist because professional help is absolutely the best help you can get. I wanna go back to doing therapy (but i dont have health insurance rn haha america). If a therapist is not readily available, talk to a friend, a professor, a family member, anyone!

As always, my smogon pms / discord pms (obii#3532) are open for anyone who needs to vent, needs someone to talk to, or just needs someone to listen. My friends on this site, believe it or not, were a big part of me managing myself and not losing myself to those darker thoughts in the back of my head. It was comforting knowing that if I ever needed someone, they would be there. Special shoutouts to Finchinator for being the only dude online at like 3am when I had a panic attack and just talking to me til I was comfortable enough to sleep. Dude is always fucking on LOL

edit: HES LITERALLY ON READING THIS THE MOMENT I POSTED IT CMOOON

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
Largely inspired by my man obii’s post to write this, as I haven’t posted in this thread in at least a year either.

I was formally diagnosed with bipolar II disorder in May of 2018, and subsequently prescribed a small dosage of aripiprazole/abilify as a mood stabilizer. I’ve been taking it for the past year and a half, with my depressive episodes being almost completely left in the past.

Bipolar II disorder is largely characterized by mood swings and rapid cycling of moods (mania/hypomania and depression) at a quicker rate than normal bipolar disorder. This ultimately results in short periods of hypomania alternating with similarly short periods of depression, typically intense depression.

Throughout my life, I’d known I had depression, but I had always managed to rebound from my deflated moods thanks to the mood swings, so I never paid too much heed to what was happening. This pattern had occurred for years, and I’d grown to accept the depressive periods as part of my life. Gradually, the pangs and periods of depression grew worse and worse. In the weeks before I sought professional help, I was legitimately terrified at the state of my depression. I saw suicide on the not too distant horizon, as the pain and fear I was experiencing had grown to a level I’d never experienced before. The worst part was that there was no distinct trigger to the depressive episode I was having, which further terrified me. Prior to this, I’d always chalked up my depressive episodes to loneliness, grades in high school, my family’s situation, or other similar aspects of teenage angst. Now, the depression came seemingly out of nowhere, and it was far more intense than before. I somehow had good grades my first year of college and I was back at home with my friends, so I conceivably had no reason to be depressed, which only compounded the fear I felt. I thought my depression was inescapable, something I’d have to deal with my whole life. I had a panic attack after my family and I watched a PBS special over dinner about a celebrity from the 1960s who had a mental breakdown. I thought that would be me in the future. I saw no escape from what I was experiencing.

When I got the diagnosis from a psychiatrist shortly after, everything started to make sense. The sporadic feelings of euphoria and motivation coupled with lasting periods of profound depression finally had a root cause. The medication was a godsend as well, as my depressive episodes had finally abated after about a month of taking the aripiprazole.

I’m posting and sharing this because obii’s post left me with an immense feeling of elation and pride, as I’d come from that past beforehand, and the profound sense of relief and happiness relating to one’s mental stability is so incredibly satisfying. I’m struggling to articulate how beneficial even a minute facade of normalcy has been since i started taking the aripiprazole.

If you have the means, please see a psychiatrist or a therapist. Don’t live your life with something that’s treatable.

Thanks for reading.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Pfft, it's been way longer since I've posted here. Let's check... Oh, nevermind, I can't even check it must've been an older thread even. Shit.

Things haven't gotten any better for me. TL;DR past me had some trouble in school, got undeservingly kicked out of my career-minded program, salavaged a still respectable STEM degree out of everything because that's how I roll. Unfortunately, said degree hasn't actually led to a meaningful career yet as I continually get passed over for no discernable reason by every would-be employer in existence.

Anyway, social life also doesn't exist. Lack of social life makes it hard to cope with lack of career advancement. Thanks to a certain member of the RODAN clique who shall remain nameless (not for their own protection but because I literally don't remember who it was), earlier this year I started making the effort to "put myself out there." I have no friends, I want to make friends. I've never been out on a date before, and mind that I'm well into my 30's at this point, I want to find intimacy with a woman. I did all my research, even bought a crappy point-and-shoot camera because I don't have a modern smartphone, took some non-shitty pictures to start online dating.

I started in July after I came back from Anime Expo, which I posted in the pictures thread since I don't actually have anyone IRL to share with (other than my mom big whoop). I've been online dating for the past four months, using the term "dating" loosely because I haven't actually gone on any dates. I get virtually zero interest despite what is otherwise an objectively pretty good profile? I use strictly positive wording, my pictures are accurate and display me in a variety of situations rather than a bunch of blurry identical selfies, etc. I'm short but you can't even tell that through pictures so my biggest physical flaw is concealed, it's not like I'm hideously ugly.

Met a woman at my uncle's fundraising event at the end of August. Basically gave her a drive-by compliment... and she took it very well, according to my mother because apparently she works with the chick's mother and moms are nosy. Embarrassing, but I'm low-key elated knowing I had such a positive impression on someone. My mother goaded me into finally signing up for Facebook after 15 years of resisting so I could message her, okay fine I'll fucking do it. Wasted effort, she turned me down three times before I finally gave up because she clearly wants nothing to do with me. I don't understand how you have such a positive first impression of someone and then won't even spend an hour getting to know them? Is she so full on friends that she can't even be bothered to see if she could make another? Does she thinks she's so much better than me that I'm not worth knowing as a human being?

Anyway, point is I'm fucking trying to go out and do stuff and meet people. Beginning with Anime Expo, I've been putting significantly more effort into trying to be social than I ever have. I just gave up the fitness classes through my employer because unfortunately the only people I've met there are half a dozen women my mother's age. Good people, but not people I can build a social life through. I'm not merely desperate for a romantic partner, I'm legitimately trying to make friends with people too.

Wednesday I went out to a FRIENDS Trivia Night in a nearby town. Ultimately, the only people who exchanged words with me were the host, the bartender, and the person grading my answer sheets. It was a total bust of an evening. Tonight, I'm posting because I just got back from a speed dating event in Columbus and it went about as poorly as could be. The problem is... it didn't happen. I spent three hours driving back and forth, I wasted my entire fucking Saturday night, for an event that didn't occur. I figured if my online profiles are on point and I'm still getting no interest, there's a very real possibility it's simply because nobody is seeing my profiles because I live in too rural an area. I was so excited for tonight to actually meet people and get a real chance to prove my worth. But I didn't actually get that opportunity and I'm utterly devastated right now.

I think I'm going to call off work Monday and try to find a therapist because I don't think I can continue dealing with this loneliness anymore. Is there something wrong with me? I seriously don't think there is. I'm kind and empathetic, I'm honest and hardworking. I'm not ugly, I'm not a jerk. Maybe I'm boring but I think everyone can be fun in the right company, you just have to find the right people who have fun in the same way you do. Yet there must be something horribly wrong with me because it's a rare breed of folk who have this much trouble establishing literally any social connections with people. I can't even find someone willing to get to know me long enough to affirmatively reject me. I'd love to even get that far with someone, anyone, but it's like I'm completely invisible and I just don't understand.

Why am I reduced to this? Why is it others are so unfair to me and yet I'm the one stuck picking up the pieces? How is it the vast majority of people fall ass backwards into friends and lovers without even trying but I try so hard to stick my neck out there and meet people and get nothing in return? It's not like I'm hideously ugly, people don't cringe when they walk past me and treat me like a fairly normal person in casual interactions. I work with people just fine, I interact normally enough with people in forced social situations. But nobody wants to actually be my friend. I don't get invited anywhere. Nobody asks to do stuff with me and nobody is willing to tag along if I reach out. No woman has ever shown the slightest hint of physical interest in me, I'm utterly touch-starved. I long for someone to desire me. I've carried these burdens with me for too long now and I'm starting to crack at this point.

I've been incredibly depressed for an incredibly long time. I don't like using the word, though. Is there something wrong with me? I think it's perfectly logical to be sad about bad things happening in your life, it's not like I have a gross chemical imbalance in my brain. (Maybe I do anyway but who knows.) Will the search for therapy even help me with what I consider a purely practical problem? If a single human being gave a remote flying fuck about me, I wouldn't be so unhappy. If my career was going the way it should be with the amount of effort I put into my education and skills, I wouldn't be so unhappy. Life just fucking sucks and it isn't getting better for me.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
I didn't actually read your whole post (sorry) [edit: in the end I did it, I am a lazy procrastinator, no excuses] but I'd like to touch on online dating and dating in general (edit: at least that was my intention...).You are well into your 30s while I'm at the beginning of my 20s but the dire situation remains the same.
People often mock how better one's life would be with someone on your side, having a rock to cling to when the tide desperately tries to push you away... I feel this and I think you do too (as a lot of other people in general). To put it more elegantly, we want a romantic relationship to fill an unfillable hole in our hearts.

But I digress, my point is that wanting a partner is perfectly normal. Sexual revolution had a plethora of different consequences, one of them is male's dating deteriorizing more and more in quality and quantity. I don't want to spend time talking about incels because this is not the place to do it, but if we stick to the literal definition of the word, the american survey association tells us that almost 1/3 of young american men are incapable of finding a loved one. This is quite troubling, indeed.

You confused a girl's genuine appreciation for a compliment for a romantic or even friendly interest. I know it sounds rude, but she clearly didn't want to be your friend let alone your girlfriend. Online dating is a complete disaster and I'm quite sure it's just hurting your already fragile mental health, chances are that if you are not at the top of the pyramid, it will only make you feel way more worthless than you already do. Internet is just gasoline poured on fire when it comes to dating and romantic relationships, I'd suggest anyone to stay away from it (unless they are females, but even then only if you want a nightstand).

Fuck online dating and profiles in general, they are quite literally useless. And I know that I'm not answering a way more important question: hey fucko you might be onto something but let's be real, HOW do you get to know other people in order to make friends, let alone girlfriends?

That, my friend, is a very good question. Once you are out of high school and university, social circles are already formed. Your chances were there and the easier path (yet not an easy one for everyone) was laid in front of you. Now, it's really fucking hard. I don't actually know how to help you since I myself am finding lots of difficulties in this regard. Work is an okay place to make friends I guess, but I have this constant fear that whatever is done is already done and we are just stranding around without any meaningful connection formed. I hope I am mistaken.

My message is quite confusionary I fear, and I hope you forgive my english since it's not my first language and it shows. It's not like I am giving you much hope which pragmatically speaking should be the best way to intervene in a topic dedicated to "depression" as a whole.
But I hate sugarcoating reality, and once you get a taste of the deeper layer you'll notice it is quite bleak, while people love telling that you should not judge a book by its cover, they do it pretty much all the time.

That is not to say there's nothing to save out of all of this, but I am a firm believer that putting things into perspective is quite important. After all, lots of people have it worse than you, but that doesn't mean your problems aren't real.
This post wanted to be more productive and advisable but I just ended up fucking it up while writing.
To be even more cynical and perhaps a little bit too harsh and simplicistic, your struggles are real and the obstacles are probably surmountable, but the path is riddled with pain and you can't do much but operate for your own good. After all, none can save oneself but himself. So buckle up for this wild ride called "life" and try to do your best. Something good will eventually come out, it's not gonna be easy, but it's better than nothing.

For a more pratical answer I suggest you to go see a psychologist/therapist, I fear prices are quite high there in the USA though. While it's a pretty hard search, Michael Labert demonstrated how one of the most important factors is the relationship between the patient and the psychologist. It won't magically solve every problem nor will it have an immediate effect, but I can assure you that if done right, it will help you.

You probably are an average person, with an average look and an average intelligence. That's probably why you are struggling so much and pondering why you have it so hard. A bunch of missed occasions, a bit of unluckiness, an introverted personality and the problematic cocktail is served.

The english language has this pretty cool expression called "muddling through". I believe its meaning encapsulates my message as a whole. One might even ask why I wrote a mutiple paragraph answer when one single phrasal verb said it all. Well, I never said I was a good writer...

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I didn't confuse anything. I actually had no intention of pursuing anything with said woman until word got around and my mother goaded me into doing it. I'm just somewhat miffed that hey, this person had a very positive first impression of me (something I seem to struggle with because I'm pretty quiet and not very sociable/charismatic) and should logically be amenable to at least spending 30 minutes with me over coffee or ice cream or whatever getting to know me. I also did the "cool" low-commitment thing of inviting her to hang out for something I was already going to do myself anyway, no-show for that too. If I can't even get this person, someone who's had about as good a first impression of me as possible, to give me even that little opportunity -- it's not like I asked her to marry me off the bat, plus she's a local like me so time/distance is not an issue -- how the fuck do I meet anyone? How do people make friends at all, let alone enter romantic relationships, if everyone is so closed off to meeting new people?

It's like everyone my age has firmly established their social groups and is completely unwilling to even entertain the notion anyone new could possibly fit into their lives anymore. Of course, this is exactly where you went with the back end of your post so I'm basically just reiterating your own frustrations but yeah. Although honestly it's not even really that much of an age thing, it's not like I didn't try to make friends in college either. But by the time the end of Year 1 rolls around, though, college kids are as set in their ways as adults are. I wish I hadn't been a commuter from Day 1, by the time I started trying to hang out on campus after classes in Year 3 I was already doomed. People in general just suck.

The gaming club slowly died as I joined it and I remained the only person invested in making it work. One member was in all my same classes (after I had switched majors), had largely the same interests, and yet still wanted nothing to do with me despite me actively trying to befriend him outside of a school context. I attended Smash tournies for three years and maybe made what I could consider to be one friend, and that was only after goading him to fulfill a promise he made to partner with me in Doubles for over a year. Once he finally gave me a chance, he was all like hey you're pretty great wtf why does nobody like you, but that was at the very end of our Smash "careers" and we haven't seen each other since our last event. The one chance at a relationship I might have had (ever) with this girl I talked with between classes sometimes I wasn't yet in the mindset of seeking romance yet, so I didn't even think about pursuing her at the time (in hindsight, my biggest regret in life).

Immediately after getting home, I did of course contact the host of the speed dating event. Apparently there was a miscommunication regarding it being rescheduled (aka cancelled) and I never received the alleged email send out detailing that. So, I'm tentatively rescheduled for an event on Dec 7. If it was an honest mistake I guess I can't be too angry, but it still doesn't get my past Saturday night back and I feel like I'm getting a raw deal attending an event between Thanksgiving and Christmas now. People got family shit to deal with, are they going to be as open to dating at this time? This weekend was my last opportunity to do something before the holiday season really hits its stride. Edit: Also, my haircut won't be fresh anymore.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I didn't confuse anything. I actually had no intention of pursuing anything with said woman until word got around and my mother goaded me into doing it. I'm just somewhat miffed that hey, this person had a very positive first impression of me (something I seem to struggle with because I'm pretty quiet and not very sociable/charismatic) and should logically be amenable to at least spending 30 minutes with me over coffee or ice cream or whatever getting to know me. I also did the "cool" low-commitment thing of inviting her to hang out for something I was already going to do myself anyway, no-show for that too. If I can't even get this person, someone who's had about as good a first impression of me as possible, to give me even that little opportunity -- it's not like I asked her to marry me off the bat, plus she's a local like me so time/distance is not an issue -- how the fuck do I meet anyone? How do people make friends at all, let alone enter romantic relationships, if everyone is so closed off to meeting new people?

It's like everyone my age has firmly established their social groups and is completely unwilling to even entertain the notion anyone new could possibly fit into their lives anymore. Of course, this is exactly where you went with the back end of your post so I'm basically just reiterating your own frustrations but yeah. Although honestly it's not even really that much of an age thing, it's not like I didn't try to make friends in college either. But by the time the end of Year 1 rolls around, though, college kids are as set in their ways as adults are. I wish I hadn't been a commuter from Day 1, by the time I started trying to hang out on campus after classes in Year 3 I was already doomed. People in general just suck.

The gaming club slowly died as I joined it and I remained the only person invested in making it work. One member was in all my same classes (after I had switched majors), had largely the same interests, and yet still wanted nothing to do with me despite me actively trying to befriend him outside of a school context. I attended Smash tournies for three years and maybe made what I could consider to be one friend, and that was only after goading him to fulfill a promise he made to partner with me in Doubles for over a year. Once he finally gave me a chance, he was all like hey you're pretty great wtf why does nobody like you, but that was at the very end of our Smash "careers" and we haven't seen each other since our last event. The one chance at a relationship I might have had (ever) with this girl I talked with between classes sometimes I wasn't yet in the mindset of seeking romance yet, so I didn't even think about pursuing her at the time (in hindsight, my biggest regret in life).

Immediately after getting home, I did of course contact the host of the speed dating event. Apparently there was a miscommunication regarding it being rescheduled (aka cancelled) and I never received the alleged email send out detailing that. So, I'm tentatively rescheduled for an event on Dec 7. If it was an honest mistake I guess I can't be too angry, but it still doesn't get my past Saturday night back and I feel like I'm getting a raw deal attending an event between Thanksgiving and Christmas now. People got family shit to deal with, are they going to be as open to dating at this time? This weekend was my last opportunity to do something before the holiday season really hits its stride.
I kinda feel like I am in a similar boat to you. Though, I just graduated college. And, the transition was hard, because I liked living on my own, and I did have a few friends, so moving back home wasn't exactly my ideal situation. The thing that sucks the most is that there is nothing going on around here. I live in a very suburban area. Lots of traffic congestion and barely anything for 'adults.' Fortunately I live relatively close to Philadelphia, so there are plenty of things to do there, but its expensive and out of the way and I hardly can work up the energy. My point is, I do not really have any friends. My brothers all have pretty tight friend groups but I literally have no one near me to hang out with. I regret not getting involved more in high school, because there were so many opportunities to get into an in-group that I completely missed. I just have never been the kind of person to ask others to hang out. Always felt like I was burdening them or that my presence wasn't wanted. Its tough trying to make friends because there is nothing to do. I tried looking for community theaters in my area but they are all for kids or teens. Its tough feeling like you missed out.

But I don't want to be all 'doom and gloom.' Before I left for uni I was attending community college and living at home. Looking back on that time, I think I could adequately say I was 'depressed.' Like you, I was on several dating sites with little success. I wouldn't put too much worry into them. I liked having them just because it meant one more avenue where you might potentially meet someone, and thats all I wanted to do back then, was to just meet people. I was obsessed with the idea of living somewhere with the potential of just meeting new people everyday, because I was so lonely. I do have girlfriend, now, though. We met at uni when I joined the theater club. Its odd, because, when I was at the community college (and most of high school) I never thought of myself as a person who would ever get a girlfriend. It seemed so out of the realm of possibility for me given my timid personality. But, here we are. I say this not to brag or anything, but because, truly, the only way to really make connections with other people is to do things where other people are. I'm sure you know this already. But, its a unfortunate case of reality, that in order to meet other people, you have to go to them. Perhaps you're in a similar boat to me where there is nothing around for you to do. Maybe your best bet is to move to a city or somewhere close to a highly populated area. I know that might not be financially feasible for some but what it sounds like you need is to just cut your loses and start over. Just something to consider, though take that advice with a grain of salt since I am just an asshole on Smogon. When I finally got to the university I pushed and pushed myself to get involved as much as I possibly could. I was motivated by the countless years I spent alone and all the regrets I had for never involving myself with anything. As a result I did make so great friends and had some great experiences. If I had to give any advice that I can, its that you should just do... everything. Like, sign-up for everything and anything regardless if you think you have an interest in it or not and regardless if the only people in it are old ladies. You seem to be doing good at that with the trivia nights and the speed dating. But, friends won't fall into your lap. You have to push your way in. And while I'm not suggesting being an annoyance, sometimes getting over that hurdle, that "they won't like me anyway" hurdle, is the most important step. Like you said, you wouldn't mind being rejected, since it would imply you got atleast that far, so you have nothing to lose.

I know that this advice might not really be helpful since its probably stuff you already knew. Unfortunately I, and no one else, can really tell you anything different. If there is some magical secret to automatically finding friends, then I don't know what it is. But. Let me say this. You seem to have gotten along well enough with people on Smogon. Think about why that might be. There are more connections between socializing online and in-person than one might think.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Thing is I had friends in high school. Granted, they never did anything more with me than the occasional pickup game of basketball or similar, but they existed. I had a group to sit with at lunch. People talked to me. I was also pretty tangentially popular just because I was commonly known as the smartest kid in school. But my friends all drifted away as everyone went off to college (and my great academic/career potential was shot to hell by about Year 3 college) and I eventually ended up where I am today in a place where you can't even recognize the greatness I was once primed for, chronically underemployed and completely socially isolated.

I've only been on the dating sites for four months now, but needless to say it's not encouraging. The Anime Expo trip was more for the social experience than for consumerism too, and all of it was months in the making as I started losing weight, working out (not that I was even fat to begin with but there's always room for improvement), being more fashion-conscious. So far I'm getting absolutely nowhere and I'm just causing myself a lot of pain I didn't used to feel when I just sorta accepted things and put the effort into coping instead. It's not like I'm not doing things, I won't reiterate all of my recent activities I already outlined in my previous two posts.

You seem to have gotten along well enough with people on Smogon. Think about why that might be. There are more connections between socializing online and in-person than one might think.
lmao bruh you clearly aren't part of the IRC/Discord crowd or a reader of the tourney forum because I'm a fucking social pariah

I only stick around here because I have nowhere else to go.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
You shouldn’t try to improve yourself with a precise goal in mind (getting laid, having friends etc.) but improve because that should (ideally) be the best thing to do. Caring about your aesthetic, working out it’s good for you wether you score with girls or not.

I have honestly no idea how one does make friends, as you might have guessed I have kind of the same problem, but most people told me that establishing an objective makes it actually harder or close to impossible to reach it. It goes along the lines of “good things will come eventually” and you should still try to improve without having the objective of increasing your friends.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Yeah but I don't give a shit if I have an extra 20 pounds around the midsection, I'd rather enjoy all the Dr. Pepper my heart desires if I know it's not going to make people actually see me in a better light. I mean, besides my aunt creepily cupping my face and asking me if I lost weight. I only care how I look to the point that it positively influences others to treat me better, it's not like I can see myself very well unless I look in a mirror. It's not like I was even at an unhealthy weight before. And if I stuck to the things I most enjoy doing on my own, I'd be back to never leaving the house.

You absolutely should have precise goals in mind anyway when you do anything, it helps you focus on actually doing what is needed to get results. It's just unfortunate that results are never guaranteed when it comes to social stuff. I don't think you can tell someone it's wrong to have different goals for doing a particular something, though. Working out for competitive reasons, for health reasons, to look better naked are all perfectly valid reasons to work out. People hang out and do shit with their friends all the time where they aren't necessarily invested in the specific activity because it's more about spending quality time with that person, perfect example.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
There something called halo effect, looking better will unironically help you with every aspect of life even though it won’t be so evident.
I agree you should have some kind of plan in mind but creating social connections is not a rigid task, it’s much more (and less) than that.

They say that someone should “go with the flow”, idk what that means honestly, it should be along the lines of “think less act more” but I’ve always found it pretty stupid.

Pfft, it's been way longer since I've posted here. Let's check... Oh, nevermind, I can't even check it must've been an older thread even. Shit.

Things haven't gotten any better for me. TL;DR past me had some trouble in school, got undeservingly kicked out of my career-minded program, salavaged a still respectable STEM degree out of everything because that's how I roll. Unfortunately, said degree hasn't actually led to a meaningful career yet as I continually get passed over for no discernable reason by every would-be employer in existence.

Anyway, social life also doesn't exist. Lack of social life makes it hard to cope with lack of career advancement. Thanks to a certain member of the RODAN clique who shall remain nameless (not for their own protection but because I literally don't remember who it was), earlier this year I started making the effort to "put myself out there." I have no friends, I want to make friends. I've never been out on a date before, and mind that I'm well into my 30's at this point, I want to find intimacy with a woman. I did all my research, even bought a crappy point-and-shoot camera because I don't have a modern smartphone, took some non-shitty pictures to start online dating.

I started in July after I came back from Anime Expo, which I posted in the pictures thread since I don't actually have anyone IRL to share with (other than my mom big whoop). I've been online dating for the past four months, using the term "dating" loosely because I haven't actually gone on any dates. I get virtually zero interest despite what is otherwise an objectively pretty good profile? I use strictly positive wording, my pictures are accurate and display me in a variety of situations rather than a bunch of blurry identical selfies, etc. I'm short but you can't even tell that through pictures so my biggest physical flaw is concealed, it's not like I'm hideously ugly.

Met a woman at my uncle's fundraising event at the end of August. Basically gave her a drive-by compliment... and she took it very well, according to my mother because apparently she works with the chick's mother and moms are nosy. Embarrassing, but I'm low-key elated knowing I had such a positive impression on someone. My mother goaded me into finally signing up for Facebook after 15 years of resisting so I could message her, okay fine I'll fucking do it. Wasted effort, she turned me down three times before I finally gave up because she clearly wants nothing to do with me. I don't understand how you have such a positive first impression of someone and then won't even spend an hour getting to know them? Is she so full on friends that she can't even be bothered to see if she could make another? Does she thinks she's so much better than me that I'm not worth knowing as a human being?

Anyway, point is I'm fucking trying to go out and do stuff and meet people. Beginning with Anime Expo, I've been putting significantly more effort into trying to be social than I ever have. I just gave up the fitness classes through my employer because unfortunately the only people I've met there are half a dozen women my mother's age. Good people, but not people I can build a social life through. I'm not merely desperate for a romantic partner, I'm legitimately trying to make friends with people too.

Wednesday I went out to a FRIENDS Trivia Night in a nearby town. Ultimately, the only people who exchanged words with me were the host, the bartender, and the person grading my answer sheets. It was a total bust of an evening. Tonight, I'm posting because I just got back from a speed dating event in Columbus and it went about as poorly as could be. The problem is... it didn't happen. I spent three hours driving back and forth, I wasted my entire fucking Saturday night, for an event that didn't occur. I figured if my online profiles are on point and I'm still getting no interest, there's a very real possibility it's simply because nobody is seeing my profiles because I live in too rural an area. I was so excited for tonight to actually meet people and get a real chance to prove my worth. But I didn't actually get that opportunity and I'm utterly devastated right now.

I think I'm going to call off work Monday and try to find a therapist because I don't think I can continue dealing with this loneliness anymore. Is there something wrong with me? I seriously don't think there is. I'm kind and empathetic, I'm honest and hardworking. I'm not ugly, I'm not a jerk. Maybe I'm boring but I think everyone can be fun in the right company, you just have to find the right people who have fun in the same way you do. Yet there must be something horribly wrong with me because it's a rare breed of folk who have this much trouble establishing literally any social connections with people. I can't even find someone willing to get to know me long enough to affirmatively reject me. I'd love to even get that far with someone, anyone, but it's like I'm completely invisible and I just don't understand.

Why am I reduced to this? Why is it others are so unfair to me and yet I'm the one stuck picking up the pieces? How is it the vast majority of people fall ass backwards into friends and lovers without even trying but I try so hard to stick my neck out there and meet people and get nothing in return? It's not like I'm hideously ugly, people don't cringe when they walk past me and treat me like a fairly normal person in casual interactions. I work with people just fine, I interact normally enough with people in forced social situations. But nobody wants to actually be my friend. I don't get invited anywhere. Nobody asks to do stuff with me and nobody is willing to tag along if I reach out. No woman has ever shown the slightest hint of physical interest in me, I'm utterly touch-starved. I long for someone to desire me. I've carried these burdens with me for too long now and I'm starting to crack at this point.

I've been incredibly depressed for an incredibly long time. I don't like using the word, though. Is there something wrong with me? I think it's perfectly logical to be sad about bad things happening in your life, it's not like I have a gross chemical imbalance in my brain. (Maybe I do anyway but who knows.) Will the search for therapy even help me with what I consider a purely practical problem? If a single human being gave a remote flying fuck about me, I wouldn't be so unhappy. If my career was going the way it should be with the amount of effort I put into my education and skills, I wouldn't be so unhappy. Life just fucking sucks and it isn't getting better for me.
It takes a tremendous amount of courage to make this post.

For one, I am thankful we met even though our interaction was relatively limited back at US Nationals, what, 3 years ago?

I'm really happy you're trying, hygiene, dressing nice, all of these things, even if you don't see the results, other people do.

I would definitely recommend seeing a therapist, but as far as meeting someone, I've never heard of it happening in a forced manner. It'll come to you, the more you try and force the harder it becomes and the more stressed out you'll be. If you want to do work out classes do things like boxing, yoga, or SPIN, find something you're passionate about. Let the passion drive you. For me, I love MMA. I'm spending a ton of money doing it, but I don't mind because I love it. You'll meet people doing things you like.

Online dating is really hard, you have to remember the pool of men is about 4x bigger than the pool of women, so the numbers aren't in your favor. Don't let it rub off on you poorly.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Its the small incremental changes that add up over time. Keep your chin up and know that a lot of us are going through the same thing. I'll be rooting for you. Focus on yourself and on self improvement and everything else will come.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
i cant sleep. lately i haven't been doing anything meaningful with myself and i feel like the days are just passing me by without participation. i dont even remember the last meal i ate. i know its not good for me but i have no motivation to change. i'm not hungry and i dont even feel sad anymore. i just feel drained and i don't care. all im doing is waiting for the next day. i wonder when this will end.
I love you, keep goin Raymond. Life works itself out :toast:

Please, cheer up my friends. life is not so bad as you claim !
You are right but we all have moments when a certain event feels like it affects the entirety of yourself though it would not do anything to what comes next. We sometimes have to get things out of our minds once in a while, no matter how extreme the vent may end up.

Anyways I hope everyone had a restful moment during thanksgiving (for those not in US, a good weekend maybe) and keep moving on. Also Christmas is not far away :^)

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
hi im depresso. my whole typing style makes what im about to say look like a big shitpost but its actually serious ._.

background: dysphorias pretty bad sometimes, autismo means im ass at social situations and it fucks w/ me when i dont quite understand something right, and i have anxiety + depression + some other mental illness that gives me the big hallucination thats like.. somewhat ignorable? ish? i guess? but it messes me up sometimes. uncool. add that to the whole panic attacks, processing thing, dissociation etc and you get a BIG MESS. oh and i have like a shitload of unresolved emotional trauma from various incidents from childhood moving forward. also very very uncool

maybe like in middle school i was mega stressed mega depressed for.. various reasons and oops! fell head first into someone and they kinda helped me get out of that mess. and then they disappeared in like? the 9th grade? and i still have no idea what happened to them. it's been 2 years. and as the whole mental illness thing goes, i blamed myself for it after it really hit me that they werent coming back any time soon so that wasn't great.

but anyway i had a really bad breakdown in like, the 8th grade, and that started my downward descent into SHIT bc my mental health was on the slow decline from then on

im not gonna.. go fully into depth on what exactly went on between then and now but basically i started going to therapy and all but i still cant.. find myself feeling exactly right sometimes. like i cant enjoy some things as much as i used to and that sucks

but like, at least i can enjoy things sometimes. it aint the same but it's at least an improvement from everything from before.

idek why i felt the need to make this post but like i feel slightly better getting all this out, i guess

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
For the longest time, I have lurked this thread. A number of people I am close to both on here and IRL struggle with mental health issues; I feel for each and every one of them and try to give my support whenever possible. Through all of that, I never believed I would be the one posting here. But here I am -- never assume you are "above" anything in life.

I tend to be pretty open about my life with people on here on the surface. A lot of people throughout the OU, NU, and tournament community have seen many pictures of me (even pictures turned into memes) or my obnoxiously unhealthy food over the years. On top of that, I have discussed pretty basic aspects of my life with plenty of friends over the years, but I always kept a certain level of personal distance in order to let this still function as a hobby and an online friend group as opposed to something overly personal. This post will probably be a bit of a departure from that previously established norm due to the subject matter being highly personal. Please do not use this as a call for help or a reason to treat me any differently though. I am still me and I love my experience on Smogon for how it is.

To start, I do not have clinically diagnosed depression and honestly there is a chance I do not have that, but I am beginning therapy in early January and I am suffering from numerous symptoms of an individual suffering from some sort of mental health problem -- I am not huge on labels and pin-pointing right now, in part because a lot of this is fairly new to me. I guess I should get into what "this" entails for me personally, so here goes.

Ever since earlier in November, I have been suffering from stress-induced insomnia. Normally I only require 5-6 hours of sleep to function during the week, especially if I am able to get closer to 8 during the weekend, but most nights I found myself unable to fall asleep for 3-4 hours after going to bed, if I even fell asleep at all. While it did not cause much of an issue during the first week due to sleep being cumulative, it added up and eventually proved to be a major problem. I was regularly spending 3-4 hours a night struggling with thoughts that went through my mind instead of sleeping during the middle of the night, when I should have been sleeping. This led to my overall functionality being compromised overall and just generally uneven throughout a lot of individual days.

For those of you that do not know, I am a senior in college currently studying Finance. As I write this, I am between semesters, but this was during crunch-time of the semester that just ended. Historically, I am an above average student, but I was struggling heavily in a Finance class and as my sleep routine turned into a struggle to get any sleep, my performance declined even more. I did poorly on a major assignment and between this issue and some others that I will touch on later, I lacked the motivation and energy to successfully study for the final, which is ultimately going to lead to me failing the class when I get my grade back tomorrow. I have never failed a class before and I know that it is not the end of the world so long as I pass it again next semester, but it feels pretty awful in all honesty.

While I was struggling in this major class and failing to sleep, I was also trying to maintain aspects of my social, romantic, and prospective professional life that made the first couple of months of the semester the best of my life. Going into November, I was very happy with my life. I had a girlfriend (since mid-April) who I was very happy with, I had a group of friends I had grown quite close with, I had a seemingly happy and healthy family, I had a very promising job prospect, and I had a lot of other small things that I periodically involved myself with that I enjoyed (couple community service things through a class, I am on the Executive Board of the Pokemon Fan Club at my school, and I play Club Softball at my school). Historically, my sentiments towards life as a whole toggled between slight happiness and neutrality, but ever since earlier this year I had been experiencing more positivity and happiness than ever.

And then, much like my ability to sleep, it all fell apart and I felt ridiculously helpless throughout it all. On November 22nd, I had a final round job interview in the city for a Financial Advisory position; it went as well as it possibly could have and I got the job offer. At that moment, I was still very happy despite being close to perpetually exhausted. My relationships (romantically and socially) were in tact, my future was promising, and there were no imminent problems on the horizon. The day prior my Grandpa back home, who I am very close with, fainted out of the blue and it was very worrisome, but he recovered pretty quickly and was even brought back home that night, when I was able to see him before I went back home to finalize my interview preparations. I was very worried about him initially, but seeing him that night brought me a lot of hope and happiness.

It all started to go downhill a couple hours after my interview concluded, unfortunately. And I feel like it has just been an uncontrollable free-fall ever since then. It was like 2pm that day, November 22nd, when I was waiting for my bus at Port Authority to go back to school when it pretty much began, I suppose. For some context, my then-girlfriend was already having a very stressful semester and personal matters (ranging from what she had to deal with responsibility wise to what her family situation was to avoid too many specifics) kind of limited our relationship throughout that month, but she had made it very clear that it was not me or our relationship so much as it was her own situation and that we would be fine. I think she was kind of telling herself that for a while and then eventually realized otherwise, but did not want to derail my thorough preparations for my interview that week. Sure enough, she texted me that afternoon saying that she was not entirely confident in how she was feeling about being in a relationship anymore. Of course, I told her that she had to prioritize herself and her well-being because it was already very clear to me that she was struggling and had enough on her own plate to begin with, but that was essentially the start-of-the-end. After a Thanksgiving break that felt like forever, she broke up with me the night we returned, essentially saying that while she still felt strongly about me, she could not be in a relationship with anyone and that she had to deal with a lot of her own personal matters before moving forward.

We agreed to remain friends as we both cared deeply about each other, the door was not closed on the future, and our friend group was shared, but they were her friends first and she has needed a fair amount of time and space, which pretty much ruined my social life over the past 3 weeks -- I do not know if it will return to "normal" next semester either, which is honestly kind of a scary thought. It also pains me a lot to not be as close with her. Simply put, we spoke about dozens of different topics, ranging from very personal matters to fun things like music and sports. Not having that same presence there anymore has been a struggle and ultimately hurt my level of happiness. She already was not herself during the last weeks of the relationship and knowing that there is a possibility that we will never be on that same level again pains me. Those were the happiest months of my life to-date and I cannot go a waking hour without remembering some happy memory that is now just a sad reminder of my current reality. I probably am taking this a lot harder than I should or than a rationally minded person should at least, but we had a pretty serious, committed relationship and this was my first true break-up, so it is hard, especially considering that I am very in-touch with my feelings. Truth be told, I put too many of my eggs in one basket because for the first six months of our relationship, things were all good and there was no sign of that changing, but circumstances beyond my control impacted matters and obviously that is part of life. I cared about her more than anyone, even myself a lot of the time. I went well out of my way to bring a smile to her face on countless occasions and honestly I derived so much of my own happiness and value in life off of that, which probably was an unhealthy dynamic of my experience in that relationship looking back at it. While we were great together, I should have made sure to carve out more space for myself as an individual and priority in my own life than I did during the relationship. Now that the relationship is over, I no longer know how to prioritize myself and I feel so lost in so many different aspects of life as a byproduct of that. With her not currently being in the picture moving forward, I have found myself struggling to motivate myself to position myself better in other aspects of life. With her not currently being in the picture moving forward, I have lost my compass on rational decision making and I am afraid that I will dig myself a deeper hole in life. With her not currently being in the picture moving forward, I am just really sad a lot of the time because I do not know what to make of my future in general. Life, at times, feels like a constant reminder of how unhappy I am right now, especially relative to how happy I was during the vast majority of our relationship.

Speaking of the future, this is not only me being sad over a break-up that was ultimately out of my control. Yea, that has been really hard for me on a personal level and I still struggle with it each day, but there is a lot more going on here that has factored into me being in a negative, defeated head-space. Over the aforementioned Thanksgiving break that felt like it took forever, I also reviewed the job offer I got from my interview and it honestly was pretty awful. After discussing with my family, we all agreed that the pay and reliability of it simply did not meet our standards, which was a really deflating feeling considering I had worked so hard to get to that point and I had done well over the years academically. Searching for internships and jobs has always been a struggle for me as I fear rejection, I am worried I will not be happy with whatever my job may be, and I just never felt 100% confident about careers in finance in general. I have improved over the years in terms of handling rejection and confidence in a happy future -- although some of it is just blind faith that I have adopted through hearing countless professors and family members telling me that it will all work out without actually being in my shoes, but finally getting accepted to a job and having it not amount to anything hurt me a lot -- I felt like I had taken a step back instead of a major step forward. I find myself helplessly contemplating the what-ifs and even wishing I had settled for a job that is honestly a bit beneath me, which is a horrible thing to wish upon yourself at the start of a promising (!?) career. I am currently unmotivated to even apply to more jobs, which I absolutely have to do to get a satisfactory one to start my career. I am hoping that this passes over time, but I am worried that it will not. At some point, I am going to force myself to and that could be a healthy way to start myself going down the right path, but it also could just lead to me being even more unhappy and uncertain, which I am very scared of as my future is pretty much all I have right now seeing as the present is not a particularly good time for me.

Beyond this, my family/living situation has slowly been deteriorating in front of my own eyes. While my Grandpa has physically recovered, it feels like he has lost a step on the interpersonal side ever since then and that is really unfortunate as we talk frequently. My grandma on the other side is also afraid she will not be able to travel to see us for the holidays due to her being physically limited, which she has done each year for as long as I can remember, so my mother is now very worried about her. My parents, being worried about these things and my own state of well-being, are under a lot of stress and have consequently not been happy in general, making my household a pretty negative place. Honestly, it feels like my life is just full of negativity and that makes proceeding in a normal, optimistic fashion such a challenge. Each and every day, I try to set goals for myself or do things that will make me happy, but I ultimately find myself struggling to get out of bed or to gain the motivation to accomplish whatever it may be. I decided that I needed therapy because of this and my inability to be happy without my ex-girlfriend being in the picture, which will be starting during the first week of January, but in the meantime I am miserable during portions of most days. I still am not sleeping well and feel perpetually fatigue and exhausted, to the point where I am physically sick more often than not, which is completely new to me and requires a lot of adjustments unfortunately. With this said, I have been getting at least a few hours of sleep every night and through research, I have strong reason to believe that between adjusting some habits, giving myself time, and going to therapy, my sleep habits will return to normal over the next month or two.

Regardless of that, I find myself waking up content some days, but then some event or some sweeping sentiment makes the rest of my day full of sadness and desire to just not be around anyone. On other days, I wake up feeling miserable and it takes something good happening to break me out of that little funk. Today was my first day where I was not miserable throughout the entire day since late November, which I am honestly proud of. A win is a win -- this was a win for me and honestly this win has given me the motivation to even post this to begin with. It feels good to share this and it feels good to talk to people. Perhaps that is something I should have been doing more often over the last couple of weeks as I have only talked to select individuals/one group chat in particular, but it is never too late to start making good habits for yourself. I am still not my full, normal self though and I do not know if I will be next week, next month, etc. This worries me as I was so optimistic about my future as recently as last month and now I am just left to pick up the pieces that I do not even feel I broke apart myself. I feel so helpless about my own fate and feelings. I just want to get back in control and be my normal self. I have been and still am happy with the individual I have grown to be. I am a good person and everyone around me knows me. Lots of people love me for who I am and I value that so much, but yet I cannot use that as positive fuel whatsoever in my current position and I just feel stuck and out-of-control.

Obviously, there are a lot of problematic things / red flags I brought up within the last few paragraphs, so I am hoping that between having time and going into therapy, I can get myself back on the right track. In the meantime, I have been spending a lot of my time on here because I actually feel like I can make a difference within the confines of this community and to the friends I have made throughout it. It has been really cool doing tiering stuff and helping out in the OU subforum because it has given me a bit of a purpose throughout this hard time, but I am fully aware that I am going to need to extend this attitude out to real life once I get back on my feet and I am just hoping that will be fully possible for me soon enough. Thanks to anyone who read through this and I hope everyone (myself included) has either a happy/happier holiday season!

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
Your story, how your life suddenly went downhill after your relationship's break, kind of reminded me of the story of one of my university professors. He basically had it all, a beautiful girlfriend, a promised good job, he was publishing a book, ended with the best grades his last year of university, but then while he was gazing outside from his balcony he thought to himself "is this it?" and basically fell into a depressive state of both mind and body. He didn't even need a negative episode to make it all start, it just happened because he who thought he had it all, in the end wasn't happy or leading a happy life.
This implies quite a few philosophical questions that I'm going to skip, but I just wanted to point out the similarity of these situations.

I am just a stranger on an internet forum so take what I'm going to say with a serious grain of salt.
I am no expert in depression (and albeit I have never been clinically diagnosed with it, I guess I struggled with very negative thoughts for a lot of time, even today to a certain extend).
It looks to me like social life is a key factor in your condition, being deprived of social relationships with your friends can be really devastating, and men are social animals as the old philosophical adage goes. Having a girlfriend means having a rock you can climb to through adversities in life, from what I can read you did that and it worked out, but now you must restart from scratch, not being necessarily alone, but being more alone than before. Not having that intimate (girl)friend with whom you can talk freely without inhibition is pretty hard when you had 6 months of that beautiful basking feeling. I hope you are not going to meet her when you get out with friends, since I fear to see her and not being able to get closer is pretty taxing on one's mental state, especially when it's a weak one because of a plethora of negative factors.

Perhaps you are just being kinda unlucky, a lot of stuff happened in a relatively short timeframe, your job offer wasn't as good as you expected, your grandparent's health, your girlfriend breaking up with you, insomnia (more like a cause IMO) and so on an so forth. It looks a lot to tackle but if I learned something from my experience is that you cannot deal with everything in a vacuum. Don't shoot for the stars but try to shoot nevertheless. When it's pretty hard to even get out of the bed in the morning, you should slowly try to make increasingly little progress and try to unravel all the knots of the bundle in order to tackle them accordingly. My advice is perhaps a bit too aseptic and rational, but it's a practical one and it worked on me. Starting therapy was definitely a good idea and I hope it'll be good for you.

Last edited:
So I'm not going to go over the details of my life but I want to rant and ask for help or maybe validation?

So I'm diagnosed with autism, anxiety and depression. And also I'm broke and my father is a drug abuser and dealer and makes me uncomfortable. So yeah not a good childhood. Oh yeah and im diabetic as well.

My depression manifests mostly in bouts of doing nothing for days on end and self loathing, the latter of which resulted in me not treating my illness properly. I spent much of my teens in very bad health. Which in turn resulted in me fucking up my exams and getting bad grades and not getting into a good college.

I wasted 2 years in college failing courses. I only just about finished my last course so at least I have that.

I haven't done much about my problem. I haven't gone to any doctors or anything because of my anxiety. I am scared of opening up and of taking medication.

My anxiety prevents me from doing any sort of creative hobby. Or much in general. Every option I take is the bad option. This results in me kind of just shutting in and doing nothing and staying in my comfort zone.

Anxiety and depression have ruined my life almost entirely up to this point. Life sucks I guess. It's been getting better and I'm forcing myself to try and get medication in the new year. Better than being inert and never achieving anything I guess

So I'm not going to go over the details of my life but I want to rant and ask for help or maybe validation?

So I'm diagnosed with autism, anxiety and depression. And also I'm broke and my father is a drug abuser and dealer and makes me uncomfortable. So yeah not a good childhood. Oh yeah and im diabetic as well.

My depression manifests mostly in bouts of doing nothing for days on end and self loathing, the latter of which resulted in me not treating my illness properly. I spent much of my teens in very bad health. Which in turn resulted in me fucking up my exams and getting bad grades and not getting into a good college.

I wasted 2 years in college failing courses. I only just about finished my last course so at least I have that.

I haven't done much about my problem. I haven't gone to any doctors or anything because of my anxiety. I am scared of opening up and of taking medication.

My anxiety prevents me from doing any sort of creative hobby. Or much in general. Every option I take is the bad option. This results in me kind of just shutting in and doing nothing and staying in my comfort zone.

Anxiety and depression have ruined my life almost entirely up to this point. Life sucks I guess. It's been getting better and I'm forcing myself to try and get medication in the new year. Better than being inert and never achieving anything I guess
Damn that sucks. But it sounds to me that you know what you have to do. Medication is important, but talking to a counsellor/psychologist is also a really important piece of the puzzle. I understand that's not easy with anxiety so I just want to throw a few points out there, maybe they help, maybe not, idk.
  • Pyschologists are there to hear your story and help you resolve things, without judging. If you've ever imagined broaching these things with a friend or family member and thought to yourself "they probably wouldn't want to know" or something, that's absolutely not the case with a psychologist.
  • What you discuss in a psychologist session stays in those sessions. Literally no-one else has to know what you discuss, and assuming you don't have any prior relationship with the psychologist, you'll never have anything to do with them outside those sessions, so no-one's going to find out and judge you for it
  • Depression and anxiety are not uncommon issues for psychologists to discuss. It may feel like a big deal for you, but to them it's probably something they're already comfortable discussing, so it's not an issue for them
  • You just made this post that was opening up. Would it be that much more of a leap to speak about these things face to face to someone who you only knew in the context of working through these problems?
Also you said you finished your last course, so does that mean you're graduating? That's awesome and a huge fucking deal. I never made it through uni fwiw, despite several attempts. Congratulations!

What hobbies would you be interested in were it not for depression/anxiety?

Reactions: zf
Damn that sucks. But it sounds to me that you know what you have to do. Medication is important, but talking to a counsellor/psychologist is also a really important piece of the puzzle. I understand that's not easy with anxiety so I just want to throw a few points out there, maybe they help, maybe not, idk.
  • Pyschologists are there to hear your story and help you resolve things, without judging. If you've ever imagined broaching these things with a friend or family member and thought to yourself "they probably wouldn't want to know" or something, that's absolutely not the case with a psychologist.
  • What you discuss in a psychologist session stays in those sessions. Literally no-one else has to know what you discuss, and assuming you don't have any prior relationship with the psychologist, you'll never have anything to do with them outside those sessions, so no-one's going to find out and judge you for it
  • Depression and anxiety are not uncommon issues for psychologists to discuss. It may feel like a big deal for you, but to them it's probably something they're already comfortable discussing, so it's not an issue for them
  • You just made this post that was opening up. Would it be that much more of a leap to speak about these things face to face to someone who you only knew in the context of working through these problems?
Also you said you finished your last course, so does that mean you're graduating? That's awesome and a huge fucking deal. I never made it through uni fwiw, despite several attempts. Congratulations!

What hobbies would you be interested in were it not for depression/anxiety?
Thanks for the advice. The few therapists I've talked to in the past have been mostly dismissive and unhelpful, but I'm going to really push how much mental illnesses as affected me until they get the idea this time.

Not uni, sorry, I'm in the UK, college and uni are different things. But nonetheless I graduated earlier this year and it's one of the few things I'm actually proud of.

I'm a naturally gifted writer and storyteller, and also gifted at music production. But not being able or motivated or practice ends up in me not really pursuing or becoming actually good at either

Thanks for the advice. The few therapists I've talked to in the past have been mostly dismissive and unhelpful, but I'm going to really push how much mental illnesses as affected me until they get the idea this time.

Not uni, sorry, I'm in the UK, college and uni are different things. But nonetheless I graduated earlier this year and it's one of the few things I'm actually proud of.

I'm a naturally gifted writer and storyteller, and also gifted at music production. But not being able or motivated or practice ends up in me not really pursuing or becoming actually good at either
Hmmm yeah I haven't got any good ideas for finding a therapist that works well with you, I guess I've been lucky that the one I've been seeing for the past year or so is really good- I got referred to them by a psychiatrist that I was seeing previously. I guess there's no way around it but trial and error. The biggest thing for me hasn't been their direct advice on specific issues, but learning general skills that can be applied in many situations. Knowing how to actually get myself to do positive things, as well as how to recognise and deal with negative thought patterns is good.

Hmm regarding hobbies, you could maybe try setting up rewards for yourself for actually working on them, like idk, grabbing something nice to eat. That's something that works for me, but there's probably heaps of other methods of getting yourself to do things. Also if anxiety is an issue you can always post stuff online under a fake name, and then if your stuff is received poorly who cares, just create a new account and move on.

Idk if I'm helping, it's just I've found that with these kinds of things, practical solutions are really important, since talking about stuff helps, but you generally also need to be doing positive stuff to really work through it

How do you guys deal? Besides pokemon I hate all of my shitty hobbies, which I only do so I don't look like a total deadbeat/loser. I've tried so many things and everything is pretty much just waiting until its over. I'm almost 20 years old and I literally haven't hugged a girl since high school (not that I deserve it lol). I hate uni, and miserable career path I have, but its the only thing that proves to myself I'm not a total oxygen thief and waste of space. There's no point dropping out because I'm on a scholarship so its at least a free room and free food and makes my relatives think I'm not entirely a useless sack of shit. I've tried changing things up but everything I try I hate as well. Now obviously this sounds like an attitude problem, but I genuinely try to keep an open mind. I'm capable of maybe being motivated for a few weeks but I inevitably get lazy/unmotivated and fizzle out and start hating my life again.

I'm in no danger of kms because I'm banking on the off chance something magical comes along and fixes my life but at this point I've pretty much given up all hope and agency to work towards a better future. I can't even imagine a better future. I'm tired of failing even though every time I fail it's always entirely my fault. If someone just gunned me down tomorrow I wouldn't care. I have tried doing my best to take small steps and set small goals but living day by day just wears me down so much over time. The looming dread and hatred just slowly boils up and up until it consumes everything.

Sorry if it sounds like an attention whore post, I just have a lot of venting because it's a new year and nothing has really gotten better despite the fact that I definitely have the power to change my life, at least in theory.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone else is doing well, or at least is on the road to some form of improvement.

Edit: my family makes me see a psychiatrist, but its a waste of time and doesn't help at all. Not because she's not doing her job but because I'm not, and she really cant stop me from being a useless sack of shit

How do you guys deal? Besides pokemon I hate all of my shitty hobbies, which I only do so I don't look like a total deadbeat/loser. I've tried so many things and everything is pretty much just waiting until its over. I'm almost 20 years old and I literally haven't hugged a girl since high school (not that I deserve it lol). I hate uni, and miserable career path I have, but its the only thing that proves to myself I'm not a total oxygen thief and waste of space. There's no point dropping out because I'm on a scholarship so its at least a free room and free food and makes my relatives think I'm not entirely a useless sack of shit. I've tried changing things up but everything I try I hate as well. Now obviously this sounds like an attitude problem, but I genuinely try to keep an open mind. I'm capable of maybe being motivated for a few weeks but I inevitably get lazy/unmotivated and fizzle out and start hating my life again.

I'm in no danger of kms because I'm banking on the off chance something magical comes along and fixes my life but at this point I've pretty much given up all hope and agency to work towards a better future. I can't even imagine a better future. I'm tired of failing even though every time I fail it's always entirely my fault. If someone just gunned me down tomorrow I wouldn't care. I have tried doing my best to take small steps and set small goals but living day by day just wears me down so much over time. The looming dread and hatred just slowly boils up and up until it consumes everything.

Sorry if it sounds like an attention whore post, I just have a lot of venting because it's a new year and nothing has really gotten better despite the fact that I definitely have the power to change my life, at least in theory.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone else is doing well, or at least is on the road to some form of improvement.

Edit: my family makes me see a psychiatrist, but its a waste of time and doesn't help at all. Not because she's not doing her job but because I'm not, and she really cant stop me from being a useless sack of shit
Maybe you should consider what made you choose the major in the first place. No career is dead end with enough time, networking and experience.

You're 19. You shouldnt be worrying about girls, you should be focus on developing an individual identity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)