Development of RBY/GSC/ADV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think we really need more development on the older generations.

Smogon is a site dedicated to the entirety of competitive pokemon battling. And although the current focus is DPPt, the high standards of intellectualising about the concepts of battling should logically be applied to all previous generations.

I am fully aware that optimum focus must be placed with the DPPt metagame. However there are fully capable people - some of whom don't even play DPPt - that can easily contribute to the substandard analyses that were created before DP was released. I think all it will take is some dedication for those who are interested to do such things as test game mechanics out ( in order to find damage formulae etc.); battle on an online simulator to develop a sense of the metagames ( to get new insight); and write analyses to incorporate the heightened perceptions developed over the past few years.

I emphasise again, I am not suggesting this for keen DPPt players. In relation to this, I have noticed a lot of amateur RBY players post recently about playing tournaments for RBY. These people are very keen to play RBY and I feel with small tutoring sessions(of which I can do quite easily), they can be efficient in the easiest generation to date. I'm not entirely sure exactly how much we can do, but I feel it's worth doing some form of project in the respective forums of RBY, GSC and RSE. We have more than the required knowledge to do so and it'd be a shame to waste it. Ideally, there needs to be a way we can engage a larger crowd and not take away from the DPPt element.

What could we do? We could set up a temporary alternative forums associated with each forum on smogon that could host tourneys and get competitively involved without drawing the attention away from the 4th generation. Or maybe tournaments could even be hosted in each forum here.

As I mentioned early, it is quite a priority that we have a complete damage formula for each generation. I'm more than ready to work on the one for RBY - but I think I would require help for that.

So basically I'm mainly asking the retro-gamers out there to give ideas on how we could set up something useful for the above generations.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We already have forums for other generations. And damage formulas for each generation, I think, just not on site.

We also already have old analyses. The main reason no one works on them is because in order to work on them there has to be a metagame with more than 5 players, and in order for that to be a reality there has to be a simulator that's not shitty NetBattle Rootkit.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Regardless though, a lot of people wouldn't mind using netbattle - and it is pretty much flawless in RBY mechanics. The whole point of this topic is to strive for more than 5 players. I don't see the point of doing nothing when even something little can help. You can use the five player argument; but I could just as easily say what's the point of something be intellectually substandard(to put it in a nice way). I am not criticising past members. It's just that most definitely have more experience in pokemon and would write a better analysis if given the chance now.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
tbh I think our RBY/GSC/ADV info is pretty strong. This is especially true of ADV, which was still a "current" gen when this site was founded, but I think it is also true of RBY and GSC. If you feel specific improvements could be made, you can always suggest them in C&C; but in general I think we are okay. Also, yeah, if we have the formulas, I'm sure they can be posted soon.

The damage formulae and all the mechanics research for these has already been done long ago. It's just lost in ages past.
I would certainly like to help in any way possible as I'm quite experienced, especially with RS, and would certainly like to some pokemon again.
Revive netbattle perhaps?

EDIT: The RS metagame was stale as fuck where we left it. That's one thing we could change about it. Perhaps do suspect tests like we do with DP right now. (FUCK TYRANITAR AND CELEBI SERIOUSLY)

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We have forums dedicated to each generation, you can cultivate whatever projects you want there. Make a topic and try to get people active, no one would block you from doing so. If you could show there was enough interest in tournaments from other generations on Netbattle, I'm almost positive Sonius / other Tournament mods wouldn't put a road-block to you hosting one. Finally, our analysis can be updated and revised by anyone, anytime. We can't force people to improve previous generations analysis.

In short, I don't even really see what you are purposing exactly since our forum already has the necessary outlets to accomplish all of those things; it's just a matter of getting people interested which falls outside of site / forum suggestions.

PS:

I have a document of previous generation formulas / information that I meant to put on-site, but only got the program recently to do the images for the equations myself so I'll put that up sometime next week.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Closing because a) people are right that our information on earlier tiers is already quite good and b) we can't do this because there's no stable platform to play these generations on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)