Diggersby

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
College crazyness (and a stomach bug from yesterday, yuck) delayed this, sorry bout that! I'll get this done tonight, but here's the sets for now.

[SET]
name: Dynamax Sweeper
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Bounce
move 4: Thunder Punch / Wild Charge / Facade
item: Life Orb / Weakness Policy
ability: Huge Power
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET]
name: Choiced
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Wild Charge / Bounce
move 4: Facade / Bounce
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
There should be 3 sets to be most accurate.

First set: offensive life orb/focus sash. 252/252 jolly. Swords dance would be slashed but most would be 4 attacks.

Second set: setup sweeper lum berry/WP. Speed should go to 112 raw, with adamant for max power. A good spread is 116hp 252+ attack 28def 4spd 108 spe, reaches up to timid zard after +1 speed.

Third set: choiced. Your description is fine.

Last edited:
Just wondering, on the Dynamax Sweeper, is it not an option to use Iron Tail for Max Steelspike or is that too redundant for coverage? It does hit a few things, but I guess you’d lose out on winning against Corviknight.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Anything going on with this Diggersby writeup? Let me know if you want me to take care of anything for it!

For the Choice set, I have only seen and used Scarf and the last two moves I ran were Foul Play and Thunder Punch. Foul Play doubles with Huge Power and allows you revenge kill unboosted Dragapult and BD Lax. It is not the best move to be locked into but most of Diggersby's moves suffer from that and I think it's one of the better choices.

+6 252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Dynamax Snorlax: 433-510 (91.7 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (50% chance to OHKO after accuracy)
(433, 438, 443, 448, 453, 459, 464, 469, 474, 479, 484, 489, 494, 499, 504, 510)

Focus sash also deserves a set. Something like this is generally what I have seen on ladder.

[SET]
name: Sash Lead
move 2: Quick Attack
move 3: Rock Tomb
move 4: Thunder Punch/ Fire Punch
item: Focus Sash

Not a big fan of Swords Dance on Sash sets, but curious how others feel. I realize the other comment is pretty old at this point and meta has changed quite a bit.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Taking the liberty of writing this for you Theorymon, since its been a while since its been reserved and Diggersby is a rising mon that really should be covered ASAP. Feel free to credit me if you want. Not completed yet but its a good start, I'll update with teammates after more research/practice with it.

[SET]
name: Focus Sash
move 2: Quick Attack
move 3: Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
move 4: Rock Tomb / Swords Dance
item: Focus Sash
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

* Diggersby equipped with a Focus Sash serves as an effective lead and revenge killer, dealing massive damage with Huge Power boosted STAB attacks and coverage options.

* Quick Attack is used to revenge kill opposing Focus Sash or very weakened Pokemon.

* Thunder Punch allows Diggersby to revenge kill Gyarados in particular, and is also useful coverage against the likes of Togekiss and Corviknight.

* Fire Punch lets Diggersby beat a variety of Steel-types, most notably Ferrothorn and Durant.

* Rock Tomb helps Diggersby slow down Max Airstream threats such as Togekiss, and also allows Diggersby to outspeed Cinderace Sucker Punch with Quick Attack.

* Swords Dance can be opted for to boost its stats on predicted switch-outs or in order to secure a OHKO against slower Pokemon. This has the added benefit of boosting Quick Attack to help further chip incoming Pokemon.

[SET]
name: Dynamax Sweeper
move 2: Bounce
move 3: Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
move 4: Swords Dance / Giga Impact
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
nature: Jolly / Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]

* Diggersby can serve as an effective Dynamax sweeper, due to its immense immediate damage output and access to Speed manipulation via Max Airstream and Max Strike.

* Bounce when Dynamaxed allows Diggersby to boost its speed through Max Airstream, outspeeding positive Speed nature Dragapult following one boost if using a maximum Speed spread.

* Fire Punch and Thunder Punch are Diggersby's way of dealing with Flying-types, in particular Corviknight, who can otherwise wall Diggersby. Fire Punch additionally allows Diggersby to OHKO Ferrothorn, while Thunder Punch allows Diggersby to OHKO Gyarados and other bulky Water-types.

* Swords Dance can be used to boost Diggersby's Attack to astronomically high levels when matched up against passive foes.

* Giga Impact can be used in place of Swords Dance to provide an immense 150 BP Max Strike, and is Diggersby's hardest hitting attack.

EV Spreads
==========

252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature: Spread of choice for Life Orb sweepers, sacrificing bulk investment to hit as hard and fast as possible.

116 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 108 Spe with an Adamant nature: Spread of choice for Lum Berry, outspeeds up to positive natured Base 100 Speed Pokemon after a Max Airstream boost, and all unboosted Dragapult after two Max Airstreams.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Thunder Punch / Bounce
move 4: Body Slam / Bounce
item: Choice Scarf

* Diggersby with a Choice Scarf allows Diggersby to outspeed unboosted Dragapult without any boosts, helping it serve as a potent revenge killer and scout.

* U-turn lets Diggersby break Focus Sash and Disguise, while also allowing Diggersby to switch to more favorable matchups.

* Thunder Punch helps Diggersby beat Flying-types, like Gyarados and Togekiss.

* Bounce can be used to stall out Dynamax turns, and also has the added bonus of boosting speed while using Max Airstream. After Dynamax concludes, Diggersby becomes faster than most Choice Scarf users at +1 Speed.

* Body Slam is an alternative STAB choice, dealing heavy damage at neutral.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)