Discussion of the Pokemon Company Survey

As some of you may know, the Pokemon company launched a survey asking questions such as, "How do you learn about a new Pokemon game?" and "Which of the following Megas do you like the design of, choose 3." and so on. Now, why would they make a survey? What did you chose for answers you can remember? This thread is for the discussion of the possible purpose of the survey, and sharing what you chose for your answers. If you haven't taken it yet, the link is here.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It seems focused on Pokemon merchandise options, I fear. They ask much more about what you'd like to see on a t-shirt and whether you'd prefer a Lugia backpack or a Dialga coffee mug than anything game-related. They may use it to help guide possible event releases of favorite legends and to help design future Mega Evolutions, but these are decidedly secondary purposes.

While this is certainly all speculative, I'm fine with some discussion here, but please don't let it turn into wishlisting.

Sadly enough, the survey is entirely a tool to help sell merchandise, nothing more. Nothing really to discuss about it IMO.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded they gave Mega Latis as an option for "best-looking mega" and Mega Beedrill wasn't on there
Proof Game Freak is awful
But yeah, not entirely sure what there is to say aside from this being used for merchandise and the above blasphemy

Skalaylee

I dont even realize everyone in my sig is being sarcastic
Indeed, it seems to be mostly for merchandise but, it does shot that they are looking at the consumers opinion for some things. Maybe if this goes well they will go even further in the future and looks at consumers for advice or suggestions.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Indeed, it seems to have everything to do with merchandise, and nothing to do with the games. To me, it looks like they're trying to see which Pokémon are the most popular in which market segment nowadays, and what kind of merchandise people are willing to buy. As NoCheese said, "Lugia backpacks and Dialga coffee mugs". Plus, it seems, which channels they could expect marketing to work best in.

That being said, if I had drunk coffee at all, a Dialga mug would be rather cool...

I was disappointed that they seemed to have like every single Mega Evolution there BUT my favorite: Mega Ampharos. I'm buying like nearly all the Mega Ampharos swag they have but they don't seem to like him as much as they like the others...

I didn't think about the merchandising... yeah, that makes sense now. The first question (Age) is probably figuring out sizes, whether plushies, t-shirts, or coffee mugs should be made even more, and what Megas do people like to slap onto a shirt.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think the only reason that makes sense is merchandise.
I hugely doubt TPCi has an influence in Pokemon designs or anything to do with the metagame at all.
(Unless they are surveying on what Pokemon gets popular for Megas)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I hugely doubt TPCi has an influence in Pokemon designs or anything to do with the metagame at all.
Hitting the nail on the head here.

TPCi does not develop the games. It might publish them or market them or whatever, but designing anything in-game? That's not their job. Whatever the purpose of this survey is, it is very likely not to have a gram of influence on the games themselves.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Age? 25+
Gender? Boy (though at 25 I don't think I'm a boy but a man, but children franchise so whatever)
How long a Pokemon fan? 10+ year (OG right here)
Learned about Pokemon? Friend told me (fun fact, I think we were around 10 and we decided to pretend play Pokemon. I didn't know anything about Pokemon but I went along anyway. They were just saying a Pokemon's name so I was trying to figure out what they looked like by their name and description they vaguely gave. So when one of my friend sent out "Bulbasaur" I heard it as "Bubblesaur" and imagined a brontosaurus made out of bubbles. Even when he told it to use vine whip I just imagined it using a vine made of bubbles to attack. Later that year I got Pokemon Blue as a gift and been with the franchise since)
Products own? Books/Mags, Video games, TCG, Plush, Apparel/other merchandise (Why is there a "Other" option when the have a "Apparel and other merchandise" option?)
Favorite part of game? Pokemon Battling (was thinking about picking story, but being this is about merchandise this question probably doesn't mean much. If they're going to sell merch based on this I rather have scenes of action)
Game started with? Pokémon Red or Pokémon Blue (I said I was OG)
Games owned? Be easier to list the ones I don't: Third versions (except B2W2) & Remakes (except ORAS)(The third version and remakes never really interested me since I already played through those stories and any differences I could catch up on with playthroughs. Got White 2 because it was a new story and got Alpha Sapphire because I was curious how they were going to change the story due to the introduction of Mega Evolutions. As it turned out not by much, but I still enjoyed it)
Favorite 2 Legendary Pair? Kyogre & Groudon and Reshiram & Zekrom (I like their themes, sea vs. land and truth vs. ideals. Also I didn't know Dialga, Palkia, AND GIRATINA counted as a PAIR)
Favorite 2 Legendary Groupings? Beast Trio and Swords if Justice (I chose the two who's backstory I liked the most. Also they excluded Keldeo from the Swords of Justice but not Regigigas from the Golem Trio?)
Favorite 3 Mystical Pokemon? Darkrai, Victini, and Keldeo (Darkrai and Victini I just like, couldn't decide on a third so I picked Keldeo since it was excluded from the other Swords of Justice)
Favorite Starters? Gen I (give you three guesses why)
Which Pokemon would I wear? Eeveelutions, Charmander, CHARIZARD, Mewtwo, and Lucario (hey, no Greninga? He's in SSB4 too!)
Which Pokemon would... I... wear? Rotom, Eon Duo, and Lugia (... why not combine the two questions? They didn't limit us on how many we could pick. And still no Greninja!)
Which 5 Megas look the best? Charizard Y, Sceptile, Metagross, Gallade, Other (Why didn't you include them all? Also can you only list choices vertically? Anyway picked the four I thought looked like they were a naturally evolution of the Pokemon and Other because I'm lazy)
What merchandise would you buy? Hat (at this point in my life, out of those options, I guess a hat. I don't think this survey is for me)
Where 3 places would I like to see more merchandise? PokemonCenter.com, Amazon.com, Other online site (Why is PokemonCenter.com on there? Isn't that one kind of obvious? And honestly they should just stick to online, at least for my age group)
Visited PokemonCenter.com? Yes (your stuff is overpriced)
Consideration order when buying merch? Quality, Characters, Price, Design (First off I want it to be good quality, if its not I can go somewhere else. Second I have favorites and therefor want to buy those favorites. If I had money price wouldn't be an issue. And since you're going off a model I can't imagine them going that off design)
3 ways to find out about new products? Social Media, Tournaments/Clubs, and Pokemon.com (most of my life is on the internet)
Sites you visit daily? Youtube (I have videos to watch)

Some odd choices there to be sure, however held back from commenting on them since there weren't really that strange.

^ Regarding the exclusion, I should not that unlike Keldio, Regigigas is not a Mythical (Read: Event) pokemon. Though the exclusion of Manaphy from THAT list is a little baffiling

Both Phione and Deoxys are missing, maybe they just thought they weren't popular enough? Deoxys had its own movie, Phione probably has one I forgot about too.

Maybe Deoxys was demoted to legendary since it's now catchable in game without an event or a glitch unlike the other Mysticals.

As I said before, Phione's Mystical/Legendary status was up to debate since the very beginning since you can breed Phione

Both Phione and Deoxys are missing, maybe they just thought they weren't popular enough? Deoxys had its own movie, Phione probably has one I forgot about too.
Phione, sadly, did not get its own movie. It didn't appear in the Manaphy movie, either. It did get a bad anime episode, though.

If Deoxys was truly demoted it'd be legal in VGC and the Battle Maison.
Expect the only pokemon that has 600+ BST and is allowed on the mason are the Pseudo-Legedaries and Slaking.

I made a post explaining what I define as Legendary pokemon, as well as the Mythical subset and the Outside Pseudo group. I'll bring it up once I find it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)