Discussion of the Week - Week 3 -- Music

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hey everybody! Welcome to a little project called "discussion of the week". Every week I am going to post a relevant topic and it will be everyone's job to discuss the topic and submit their votes (each topic will have a clear aim). These topics could be anything from "best Fire-Type" to "best Pokéathlon event", you'll decide them. I'll just pick the nomination I like best each week.

Because I've hosted something like this before and it was on the verge of pc++, I'd like to set a few ground rules:
1) Clear comparisons must be in your post. Saying "generation 5 is the best generation graphically because the in-game battles have animations for the Pokémon, unlike generation 4" is the sort of thing I'm looking for as one sentence in a lengthier post.
2) Two posts in a row means that I will not count your vote for that topic. Just click edit! However, I do encourage lots of discussion, so keep up with the topic after you place your votes!
3) All other rules on Smogon apply, obviously. If any type of flaming goes on especially I will give the user a warning, and if the flaming continues I will disallow their participation in this thread. Everyone has an opinion guys!

This week's topic will be: Music. You guys have a lot more freedom this time around, because I won't even be providing lists. Everyone has a few songs from a particular game which really stuck with them, even now, so here's a chance to get your opinions heard.

Each core series triple (Red, Blue, Yellow) or pairing (FireRed, LeafGreen) will have a list here in the OP. Under each list will be the songs as they are nominated. Because there is so much (amazing) music in the Pokémon franchise, you may vote for 3 tracks per list. It's not compulsory to provide links to YouTube, but it is encouraged. Otherwise I have to do it ;~;. Colosseum and XD: Gales of Darkness are counted as main games for this. Depending on the success of this week's discussion a spin off variation of this may happen in the future.
Lists:

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ooo a music thread! For the Pokemon series, there has been quite a few really great songs, and though I've found most people tend to mention gen 3 (particularly Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald) as the pinnacle of Pokemon music, I find myself more partial to Gen4 and Gen2. That being said, I love the music from all the games. Anyway, below is just some nominations I have from my favourite gens, and the reasoning behind the choices.
From the original series, I'd like to begin by nominating the song Pallet Town. This song is the one that started it all off for so many of us. You ventured out to the tall grass, only to be stopped by Prof. Oak and dragged back to his lab. The slow, homely tune gave an odd sense of comfort, and nostalgia when we revisited this small town again in gen 2. Following that, I'd like to nominate Route 11, which in my opinion, is the defining song of the original Pokemon games. If you were to ask me to choose a song to describe what the original Pokemon journey was like, I would tell you its Route 11. And lastly, I'd like to nominate Victory Road. No disrespect meant to the Champion Battle music, but this song gave a much better idea of what lurked inside the Indigo Plateau. The slow build up followed by the rhythmic, tension building music created an atmosphere of power and glory awaiting whoever could come out the other side of Victory Road.

Honourable mentions:
- Route 24 & 25
- Gym

On to Gold, Silver, and Crystal! My favourite generation of Pokemon, and the one I hold dearest to me. Gen 2 best exemplifies what I think Pokemon should be about (or perhaps thats just the nostalgia goggles), but it had some really fun songs, and some really fun characters! The first song I'd like to nominate from this gen is the Goldenrod City. A fun, cosmopolitan theme. It's nothing particularly special, but I find it a nice, relaxing tune. The next song from gen2 is Route 42, 43, 44, Lake of Rage. A fun little song that I think captures the vibe of the routes that take you from Ecruteak to Mahogany, north to Lake Rage, and the like. At this point in the game you were nearing the end of the primary, and it really makes you feel like you're going for that final push on your main journey. And lastly, I'd like to nominate Route 27, 26, the overworld theme for the routes that take you from New Bark Town to Victory Road. It starts off with a celebratory, upbeat tune and then transitions into a sort of climatic song, as you go to finish off your mission to become Champion.

Honourable mentions:
- Ruins of Alph, Union Cave
- Lance & Red Battle Theme

ADV stand up! You love Hoenn, I love Hoenn, we all love Hoenn! What many consider to the be the best generation of Pokemon, the one that brought us double battles, abilities, and Brendons hat (which we all thought was hair). Hoenn was all about two things: water, and trumpets. And those trumpet heavy tunes are amazing. The first one I'd like to nominate is the one that I think are best representatives of what ADV music was all about (other than Linkin Park, because who wasn't into Linkin Park back then?), and that is Route 104. It's fun, it's colourful, it's loud, it's so trumpet heavy it's amazing. On the way to Rustboro City, this magnificent piece of music was playing. You had just left Petalburg, and now you're going out to beat all the gyms with your trusted starter. This song sets the tone for the rest of the ADV journey, which if it's any indication, is a huge ball of fun and trumpets. TRUMPETS! The next song is Route 110, which is another really fast, trumpety, fun song (ADV was just a really fun gen). Really not much to say other than it's an adventurous tune, and the Trick Master is a creepy shit. And lastly, I'd like to offer the nomination to the Ending Theme. A nice, relaxing tune that ends off the crazy, loud, and fun experience that was ADV. Naturally it culminated in trumpets, thus ending the the greatest generation in a bang.

Honourable mentions:
- Game Corner
- Vs Deoxys

The first one I'd like to nominate from Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, is Route 201 (Night). It's a really cheerful tune, but also has a nice nostalgic feel to it (at least in my opinion), and works well with the particular route, the first one in the game. Giving off a nice, early sense of adventure as the player takes off on their journey, and just vibes well with the bright colours of gen 4. Also from DPP, I'd like to nominate Route 209 (Day). Arguably one of the more iconic songs from the game, as it was featured in Super Smash Bros Brawl, this song just gave a very lively, happy-go-lucky feel as you left Hearthome, and traversed an area with rivers and open grassland (if the Pokemon you could find there were any indication). Lastly, I'd like to bring attention to the song Battle! Dialga / Palkia, which was a very fast paced, very exciting song that helped convey just the kind of battle you were in. As you faced off against the ruler of Time / Space, you had this music playing in the back, the subtle beat of drums as your team faced off against the legend, the sudden shift to a more upbeat, hopeful tune as the battle neared its end. I would argue that it's amongst the top 5-10 songs in the Pokemon franchise.

Honourable mentions:
- Snowpoint City
- Champion Battle!

Looking forward to see what ya'll think :)

Edit: shit from my accidental 2nd post: Snowbelle City (there's also a slowed down version that I think is better) for XY definitely deserves a mention as well! Along with Santalune Forest, I would say those 2 are the standouts for XY.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah...I'm a big fan of the music from Pokemon as well, both as a listener and as a musician so I have a lot to say about it. In the last thread about favorite tracks, I posted two entire walls of text and I don't really feel like just saying the same things so I'll just quote them here:

Video game music is pretty much what got me back into playing again after I quit band class in high school, so it's pretty near and dear to me. Soundtracks are my favorite thing to play nowadays, and in fact, the way I found out about most of my favorite anime, video games, films, and shows was by discovering their excellent soundtracks first! I love Pokemon music because it's so good, and it's also pretty simple so it's easy to learn by ear, well...at least the melodies.

Here are a bunch of my favorites, and for the most part I'm putting the most recent versions of each track, as the chiptunes do kind of give me a headache, sorry to say! These are all also pretty much Town and City themes. I didn't intend for it to be that way, but I guess those are the ones that stick out to me and the ones I like. Although X and Y had a decent soundtrack, none of it really stood out to me so I didn't include any of them in this list, just for the fact I couldn't really think of one I thought was really great. I also didn't include spin-offs even though a lot of them had great tracks Maybe I'll make another post with them later.

Olivine City Theme, HGSS remix. This is probably my favorite track out of all the Pokemon soundtracks. It is also the Violet City theme, but I prefer to refer to it as the Olivine City theme because for me this track captures the spirit of Olivine, the coastal city. The music captures the excitement of adventure, as ships come in from far away and others leave to go on their own journeys. I think a lot of people dislike this track but it's my favorite.

There's also a Jazz Arrangement of it that I really like. It's done with saxophone too, my instrument! Too bad I wouldn't know where to get just the backing track.

Blackthorn City Theme is also another one of my favorites. Another peaceful and exciting song, and very nostalgic for me.

This popular guitar cover of the track is really good in my opinion, it starts really peaceful with acoustic guitar, but then transitions to electric with heavy percussion but still manages to keep the same spirit somehow.

Goldenrod City theme was changed in HGSS, it's more of a Jazz and swingy beat but as you can probably guess I really like that. It's a perfect nighttime stroll through the city kind of song.

I love S.S. Aqua and National Park. These two are pretty different, S.S. Aqua is obviously more uptempo and exciting and National Park is slower and more peaceful. I just put them together because they both feature awesome piano in their melodies.

Ho-Oh's Battle Theme and Lugia's Battle Theme are both great. Most people like Ho-Oh's better, and they feel like Lugia's is inconsistent and messy, but personally I love both! I feel like the "inconsistent" melody of Lugia's theme represents the raging storm at sea, it gives a real sense of urgency but has slow moments in between. On the other hand, Ho-Oh's battle takes place on a giant Japanese tower and I get that vibe from the very Asian-sounding melody. The real killer part of this track is the percussion though, it's so good!

I love Fuschia City's music too (aka Cerulean City). The HGSS mix kinda mixed things up and made the main melody piano, so it's actually different enough from the FRLG version to me that I like them separately.

Speaking of FireRed, the champion music is awesome and I had pretty much memorized the entire thing after this experience. It's the only Pokemon track actually on my iPod, come to think of it. I should probably fix that.

I know a lot of the music in Ruby and Sapphire is good, but I never really played it! So I don't really know most of the music, but hopefully when I get ORAS I'll hear some great tracks. The ones that do stick out to me are the champion theme that I found in the World Tournament in White 2, and the legendary Pokemon theme which I really know as the "Groudon Theme" because I heard it in Pokemon Pinball and it was awesome.

In Diamond and Pearl, Sandgem Town Day and Sandgem Town Night have really great music, and Jubilife City has awesome piano.

However, the absolute literal best tracks of these entire games are the Sunyshore City themes, Day and Night. Both are pretty similar, so I can't really decide which one I like better, haha. These both capture the huge sense of adventure just like the Olivine theme does, and it just so happens that both of these are coastal cities...coincidence? I don't think so. This is probably the song that I want to play the most, the one that motivates me to get off my ass and start practicing.

As far as Unova goes, I really like how the soundtrack was really Jazzed up as that is one of my favorite genres to both listen to and play.

Virbank City is another coastal city, but instead of the big adventurous theme its more of a softer smooth Jazz theme. I still love it though, even if there is no saxophone in it! :P

Nimbasa City also does Jazz but with more uptempo and with Brass and other wind instruments.

Driftveil City is kinda the weird one of all the Unova tracks, because it sounds kinda funky and Oriental to me. I guess it's the Chinatown for Unova's America.

This is list is getting a bit long, so I'll just end it with the Iris Champion Theme. It's a great track and it makes me feel like a pretty princess. That's all there is to say about it really.
Yo guys, I'm back with part 2. I decided to go back and listen through a lot of the XY soundtrack so this is gonna include my favorite themes from XY and also from spin-offs.

People already mentioned the Boutique theme and listening to it, I have to say I agree completely. I especially like the beginning, it's reminiscent of a cheesy 90's pop love song.

The Legendary Theme I did not even realize was the legendary theme, I thought of it as the Wi-Fi battle theme... I hear it all the time during Wi-Fi battles so it really gets on my nerves now, but just listening to it by itself I can appreciate it.

Of course speaking of Wi-Fi battles, the Battle Spot Menu Theme is pretty good too. As many have pointed out, it sounds like it could be the menu theme for a Super Smash Bros. game. It sufficiently brings excitement and anticipation to your upcoming battle.

I also like Coumarine City, it has a pretty relaxing theme and of course I love anything with saxophone in it. =_= The piano is good too!

Snowbelle City has a really good and interesting theme. It almost sounds like a mix of Joe Hisaishi's compositions in the Ghibli film soundtracks. Very mysterious.

Rival/Friend Battle Theme is another one that is very annoying to listen to while battling but is good on its own. My favorite part is the part with the Xylophone. You know the one.

Bicycle Theme fuk this theme seriously, it is the ultimate example of a track that is good but you hate listening to it just because you ride your bike everywhere so you have to hear it over and over. And if you're in a city with good music and you wanna listen to that music and you want to use your bike to get to places quickly, TOO BAD you have to listen to the bike theme! I think the reason Lumiose doesn't get superseded by the bike theme is because everyone knows there is no way anyone would ever walk in Lumiose and they didn't want no one to listen to the Lumiose theme ever. On another note, the electric guitar in this track is the best part.

Champion Theme is really good too, it's just too bad the champion battle itself does not quite live up to the excitement of the theme.

Moving on to spin-offs:

Normal Duel is one of the greatest tracks of the GBA era. This theme is the counterpart to trainer battles or wild Pokemon battles in the main games. The cool thing about that is that while the battle themes of the main games are very hectic and exciting, this track is kind of aware that you're not in any real danger or in any tense situation, you're just playing a card game. It's far less hectic and more fun.

Pokemon Square from the first mystery dungeon is also really great. It's a good adventure theme that also captures the innocence of the little children Pokemon (they are definitely children in this game, don't deny). It's very optimistic and upbeat, etc.

Sky Tower is that theme that pretty much everyone remembers from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Rightfully so, as it's an awesome track. It's the perfect theme for a final adventure to end the main story arc after the team has come such a long way.

Pokemon Bank has a pretty fun theme to it too. There's not really much to say about it except that's it cool ambient sound for using Pokemon Bank.

And finally, it looks like nobody has put the Pokemon Battle Trozei soundtrack on YouTube yet, so I don't have a link for this one, but the music of the first level of Battle Trozei is pretty good, I love the Harmonica!
It's really up to you to read through everything I've written but I recommend it 'cause I picked a lot of good ones :heart:

Going by the OP's rules though, here are my top 3 by generation:

RBY: Fuschia City, Vermillion City, Champion Theme

GSC: Olivine City, Goldenrod City, Blackthorn City

RBY: Groudon Theme, Champion Theme...not really too familiar with the RBY music since I didn't own the games...so I guess I only have two votes for this.

DPP: Sandgem Town, Jubilife City, SUNYSHORE CITY

BW: Virbank City, Nimbasa City, Driftveil City

XY: Coumarine City, Bicycle Theme, Boutique Theme. XY is kind of the hardest to pick for me. I don't necessarily consider those three tracks the best, but they are the most stand-out to me.

Those are my votes! Links are included in the posts I quoted above so check them out, I'm sure you'll like them!

P.S. Not to be nitpicky Celever, but technically these are not considered songs as they do not have lyrics or singing.

Last edited:
Hooray, music! But this is going to take a while...

Each one below is my vote.
Red, Blue, and Yellow:
Pallet Town
Route 1
These are too connected for me. This sums up the fun of starting an adventure.
Kanto Wild Encounter Theme
To me, this is the definitive battle theme of the series. Mostly because I spent a lot of time as a kid playing Free Battle in Pokémon Stadium.

Gold, Silver, and Crystal:
Goldenrod City / Bicycle Theme
They are more or less the same theme, which makes sense as you get the Bicycle in Goldenrod. I just love this theme if I'm riding through Johto or walking through Goldenrod. It's just awesome. Best bicycle theme in the series.

FireRed and LeafGreen (or how I get six votes for Kanto themes):
Lavender Town
I love ghosts and anything spooky. Gengar is my favorite Pokémon and Mega. Giratina is my favorite legendary. Halloween is my favorite holiday. Need I go on on why I love this theme?
The Main Pokémon Theme
Too classic to need to explain, do I?
Gym Leader Battle Theme
The first time I ever heard this was on Stadium and the anime, so this is what I think of when I think of Gym Battles.

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum:
Jublife City
This is nostalgic for me (well, as nostalgic as something can be from when you were 16). So many good times trading on the GTS.

HeartGold and SoulSilver:
Goldenrod City / Bicycle Theme
Yeah, I'm voting for them twice. I can't remember most of Johto's themes since I spent more time in Kanto (Fighting Dojo), the Elite Four, or Mt. Silver. And the time I did spent in Johto was on my bicycle going back and forward through Goldenrod City waiting for eggs to be bred.

Black and White / Black 2 and White 2:
An Unwavering Heart
I don't remember this theme until I heard it in Y. It's really good. It reminds me of "Here With You" from my favorite anime, Future Diary*.
Virbank Gym
I enjoyed the concept of a gym that was also a club and this variant of the classic gym theme was great. Also was the first time we've actually heard a NPC in the games.

X and Y:
Lumoise City
I just love this theme. It just has a great feeling to it. Also, it is the only overworld theme that cannot be overridden by the bicycle. That is the greatness of Lumoise!
Snowbelle City
I do enjoy this theme a lot. It's just pretty.
Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame theme had to be in there. That feeling of triumph is spot on. The X and Y version of it is the best, so I'm putting my vote here.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire:
Littleroot Town
Another great example of home town greatness. Plus, this really sets the standard for the remixes we hear in this game.
Vs Zinnia
Wow, this is an amazing battle theme! The violins and just wow! Might be my new favorite battle theme.
Vs Wally
Well, this and Vs. Zinnia are my new favorites. This time, it's because the electric guitar sounds so awesome!

*Me obsessed with yandere? [sarcasm]No.[/sarcasm]

Last edited:
Music! One of my favourite things about the Pokemon game. A few tracks from each generation stood out for me...

Red, Blue, and Yellow/Firered and Leafgreen:

Vs. Champion
Imagine, if you will, the first time you ever beat the Elite Four in Red/Blue/Yellow. You swept the E4 with your overleveled Charizard, and at last you are a Pokemon master! The strongest trainer in the world... right? No, because somebody beat you to it: GARY MOTHERF***ING OAK. The music for this battle is absolutely perfect for a final boss. I really don't know how to describe it; it just works.

Route 11
It's already been said, but I'll say it again: this is the music that really makes you feel like your adventure is really starting. You have a few badges, you've assembled a bit of a team, and you will continue on to parts unknown!

Gold, Silver, and Crystal/HeartGold and SoulSilver:

Route 38
This is a really underrated song in my opinion. The reason I like it involves a bit of backstory. Although Gold was the first Pokemon game I ever owned, the first game I ever played was Stadium 2. Even though the extent of my Pokemon wisdom at the time was pressing random buttons and watching the battle animations (and marvelling about how Lapras floats in midair), there is one part that somehow stuck with me. The selection screen for something (I think it was the battle format?) had a remix of this music, and ever since I have associated it with my first true memory of Pokemon.

Vs. Lance/Red
Alright, everyone thinks that this song is awesome. But that's because... well, it sort of is. Although I'll admit the HGSS remix is way better, both the original and the remix set the scene for the battle ahead. The song's quiet introduction builds tension, and then... BAM! It goes full force while Hyper Beams, Ice Beams, and all other kinds of Beams are flying everywhere.

Lake of Rage/surrounding routes
A new adventure awaits! Walking down the path to the Lake of Rage wondering what lies ahead, this song is absolutely perfect.

Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald

Route 113
Route 113 is unlike anything else in any Pokemon game. You're hiking through the mountains of Route 111, with the upbeat battle-esque music playing in the background. But when you reach Route 113, you find a grey, desolate, ash-covered forest (I will openly confess that I thought the falling stuff was snow until a couple years ago), home to the rare and awesome Skarmory and not-so-awesome Spinda. The music changes, too, to a song that is melancholy, but still strangely upbeat.

Mt. Pyre Exterior
Another strange one. It has an air of mystery to it in my opinion. It also reminds me a bit of restless spirits that could be around the graves. It's a good thing this is such a good song; if it wasn't, searching for that Chimecho to complete the Dex would have been just so much more unbearable.
Victory Road
Victory Road is the final step before the Pokemon League. The music is a remix of the classic Pokemon Main Theme, and it manages to be nostalgic and yet unique.

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum

I'll admit it: nothing really stood out for me in Gen IV. Disregard that statement, I remembered some songs from DPP that I really liked.

Route 225 (Daytime)

You have defeated the Champion. You have completed the Sinnoh dex. Everything is the way it should be. With a spring in your step, you can finally join the big boys in the Battle Zone! It is an adventurous tune for an adventurous place.

Route 216 (Daytime)

Hiking through the frozen north, the song starts off peaceful, like a winter night with snow gently falling. And then, suddenly, a blizzard kicks up out of nowhere as the tune begins its second part! There is nothing peaceful about this song anymore; it fills you with the energy to get through the snow. It also reminds me of a tune that would play when you're mushing a team of Arcanines across the Arctic.

Vs. Cynthia

The beginning of this tune is beautiful and melodic. Then you have a theme that is just dripping with power. Cynthia wins the "best champion" contest hands-down, and so it should be only fitting that her theme is the best!

Black and White/B2 and W2:

Route 10
It's the final steps before Victory Road. You have made it: you have collected all 8 badges. This is a tune of challenge: the hardest battles yet lie ahead, and yet you are heading into them full-force. You aren't looking back; your attitude is "let's do this". That is what I felt when listening to this. I don't want to spoil upcoming games nor deviate from the main series, but I will say that the Smash 4 remix is amazing.

X and Y:

I'll add reasons for my votes later, but they are Lumiose City, Shalour City, and Cyllage City. Vs. Diantha

Last edited:
One that I like for BWB2W2 is Unwavering Emotions. You hear it several times, first in the scene where Bianca's father tries to stop Bianca from journeying farther, then again whenever Hugh talks about his sister's Purrloin. You also hear it during the memory link events. A guy in XY (I'm forgetting where) will also play the song for you if you enter his house.

Some songs that stood out to me:
Gen 1:
Mt. Moon's theme
It always creeped me out as a kid. Got lost multiple times in that cave, so I guess that's another reason for why this track is kind of stuck in my mind.
Viridian Forest's Theme
Probably my favorite track from ths gen. I really like how it uses/melds the Team Rocket theme into its own theme, but at the same time, is a different sound. It's a nice foreshadowing to what's coming up.

Gen 2:
Buena's Password
Really like this theme. Really nice and happy; something that puts a hop into your step. Didn't really like anything in general (musicwise) from Gen 2, but this one was nice.

Gen 3:
Diving
It's coming back in a week. This theme though, in my opinion, is fantastic. Time to go hunting for that Relicanth now and waste too much time in my life...
Champion's theme
Since Sapphire was the first game (main series) that I actually beat, this song holds a very special place in my heart. It shows the epicness of what you've just accomplished (destroying environmental terrorists and the elite four like they were the same people) and now challenging the ultimate trainer in the game - Steven Stone! I love this theme to pieces, but there's one I like even more...
Miror B's Theme
I don't care which you prefer; both of his themes are incredible. Miror B and his dancing pineapples fit both of these themes so well that I can't really, erm, choose. Give me more of my afro-toting dancer, gamefreak! (but seriously. I want Orre remakes)

Gen 4:
Snowpoint City (Night)
Only track I remembered listening to when I played through these games. Something about it is like "Sit back and watch the snow fall. Take a break to watch the small things happen." It's a very relaxing theme that just lets you sit back and unwind.

Gen 5:
Seconding Route 10 - it's a nice look back at what you've just done, and a little uncertanty of what's to come. In honesty, the Smash 4 remix of this song sounds like it comes out of a Professor Layton game (not that it's bad or anything). I prefer the original but maybe after a while the other will grow on me.
Another one I like is the Giant Chasm music - there's an uncertain undertone, then a somewhat mysterious tone, but then moves to one of discovery - maybe something's not right, so let's figure it out and see what could be wrong. It captures the atmosphere of the Giant Chasm.

Gen 6:
Pokeball Factory
Very techno theme that embraces the technology of the pokeball - something that works but you don't know how exactly. If the pokeball itself had a theme, it would be something similar to this theme.

One that I like for BWB2W2 is Unwavering Emotions. You hear it several times, first in the scene where Bianca's father tries to stop Bianca from journeying farther, then again whenever Hugh talks about his sister's Purrloin. You also hear it during the memory link events. A guy in XY (I'm forgetting where) will also play the song for you if you enter his house.
It was in the southern half of Coumarine City in one of the southern most houses.

There is a lot of music I like from all games, picking just three from each entry is hard. I have picked the ones I think I like the best, but it not always easy for all of them.

This became rather long so I put it in a spoiler.

R/B/Y
These were the first games in the series that I played so I should logically have some strong memories regarding the music from them. But I don't. Guess I have forgotten much of it. But there are some I remember at least, though I don't have that much to say about them. Overall, I do remember the soundtrack as being good for its time at least, but hardly the best in the series.
Vermilion City - One of my favorites that I really can remember, a great and powerful energetic track that quickly became my one of my favorites.
Route 24/25 - I just really like the melody here, and it felt like a good closing tune since Route 25 is a dead end and the last Kanto Route going by numbers.
S.S. Anne - Another one I like the melody of, I can get easily attached to bittersweet/melancholic songs if they are done correctly. Like this. I remember how I thought the boat would return if I waited a whole year...

G/S/C
A bit different than last generation as I can remember more this time around as there were a few songs that I really liked. Another good soundtrack for its time, though I feel it is rather overrated by the fandom. Favorites are the following:
Goldenrod City, one of the best city themes, just relaxing in a not too happy way which I liked. I remember spending lots of time in Goldenrod, doing nothing but listening to the music because I liked it so much. However, I didn't like the remake version at all because it ruined the feel of the original for me by being way too happy.
Route 42, 43, 44 & Lake of Rage. Wonderful. Like Goldenrod, I often went to these areas just to hear the music here. This has a kind of epic feel which I like, or something like that. Great melody too.
Raikou/Entei/Suicune Battle Theme. The first time legendaries got their own battle theme, and it was amazing. Suits them perfectly. Really wish I had been able to hear this more often, after catching Suicune I didn't bother that much with Raikou and Entei. Got to hear it more in the remakes at least.

R/S/E
A wonderful soundtrack, overall better quality by modern standards compared to the previous two. Emerald is my favorite game from this generation, and it has several exclusive tracks that R/S lacks, which is why two of them are from Emerald alone. I have better and more recent memories from this generation which is one other reason as for why I like the music better. My favorites would be these:
Abandoned Ship. A mystery ship stranded in the sea... and a mystery tune to go along with it. Suited it just perfectly.
Battle Frontier. The first time I arrived at the Battle Frontier in Emerald, I was amazed at how large it was. And at that moment, I never thought I would spend hundreds of hours there in the future, winning, losing and obtaining Symbols. The music was always with me, and it truly lives up to the epicness of the place.
Frontier Brain Battle. If the Frontier in itself was awesome, the only thing that could compare was when you battled the Frontier Brains. To get a Symbol, to get more BP, or in the worst case, lose and come back later. With great music to go along with it.

Colosseum & XD
Only side games I have played, and they have some awesome music. Obviously higher quality compared to the handheld games at the time, and wonderful melodies to go along with it. I have several favorites, the ones I like the most are the following, three or two depending on how you count.
These games had several interesting characters. Miror B. is one of them, and he had some awesome music. I like his music in both games, even if they are completely different. His theme in Colosseum was different from anything I had expected from the series at that point, and his theme in XD was different from the Colosseum theme but still awesome.
The third one to get my vote here is the Colosseum Credits, an epic piece and one of the best credits tracks in the series. I love it when they make the credits music as epic as possible and this game was one of the best at doing this, another game pair also did it incredibly well but more about that a bit below.

FR/LG
First pair of remakes, I think they did well at remaking the music but they didn't add that many new tracks which is a bit sad. What they did do, they at least did well. To me, the best ones are:
Vermilion City - Mainly for the same reasons as the original, very well remade. Still powerful and still energetic which was all it needed.
Sevault Canyon (and some other areas on the Sevii Islands, don't remember exactly which) - Another remake, but from G/S/C rather than R/B/Y? This is the same theme that plays at Lake of Rage and the surrounding routes. And it is really well done, I actually like this version better than both the original and the second remake in HG/SS.
Credits - As said, FR/LG didn't add much new music, but this was one of them... kind of. The more people who worked on the game, the longer credits. And longer credits means longer credits music. They expanded and improved on the original really well. Not my favorite credits music from the series, but definitely one of the best tracks from these games.

D/P/P
A really great soundtrack this time around. What should I say more? I don't know. Oh yeah, like with Emerald being my favorite from R/S/E, Platinum is my favorite of these three and had some super awesome exclusive music that D/P missed. Best ones:
Sunyshore City. Wonderful track that suits the city perfectly. I was blown away the first time I entered Sunyshore in Pearl and heard this. Really powerful with a bittersweet hint, combining two things I love and making it wonderful.
Giratina Battle Theme. Fantastic theme suiting a great legendary. More importantly, the volume of this really impressed me, I didn't think it was possible to do something this powerful on a DS. Great melody with lots of variation without ever losing the power, love it.
Frontier Brain Battle. While I didn't play the Platinum Frontier when it was new as much as I had played the Emerald Frontier earlier, the Frontier Brains had epic music this time around as well. Really made it enjoyable every time I battled them.

HG/SS
Regardless of what I think of these games, I can't get around the fact that they do have some great music. And they added lots of new music too, unlike FR/LG. As well as remade several tracks from R/B/Y/FR/LG that wasn't in GSC. In fact, my favorites this time around are mostly the newer tracks and the missing remade ones, even if my choices doesn't mirror that completely
Ho-Oh Battle Theme. Another wonderful legendary theme, well done in every aspect and suits the situation well even if I felt the story was rather forced. At least the music was great.
Ecruteak City. Of the two versions of this, I prefer this over Cianwood. It took care of the melody better and made it feel like it was going somewhere while the Cianwood version wasn't as moving to me.
Cinnabar Island. Out of all the missing Kanto songs from G/S/C, this was the one that to me, was remade in the best possible way ever. It was perfect for a damaged and destroyed Island, the melody was the same as in the core Kanto games but slowed down and done with different instruments. Just awesome. Like with Goldenrod City in G/S/C, I often found myself going to Cinnabar Island in HG/SS just to hear the music. Which isn't a compliment seeing how little enjoyment I got out of these games otherwise, but for what it was worth, this track was at least great.

B/W
One of my favorite soundtracks in the series, and I can only pick three songs? Tough. I'll do it though. Everything stood out in some way, but some more than others.
Entralink. Quite odd to make such an epic track for a place where you pick up Pokemon and Items from the Dream World and connect to other games. Nonetheless, it was great. Loved it.
Emotion (also called Unwavering Emotions or An Unwavering Heart, the most loved child has the most names, am I right?) This really lived up to its name. It brings forward emotions. And since I have the most emotions for this generation... this is one of the most special tracks to me, and one of my favorites. I have mentioned that I like bittersweet/melancholic ("sad") music, and this is... perfect in every aspect. I got a whole rush of emotions when I heard this again in X/Y.
Black/White Credits. I mentioned in Colosseum that there was another game pair that did the credits music just really well... and this is it. Just epic. Even better, it was en epic way to end an epic game. Or start it, since the post-game was something I wouldn't have wanted to miss. I don't think the series will ever be able to top this when it comes to credits music.

B2/W2
Another of my favorite soundtracks obviously, adding even more goodness to what B/W already had. Losing some of the songs from the original pair wasn't a problem since there was more than enough new awesome ones to make up for it.
Iris Battle Theme. The most interesting trainer battle theme to me, very varied and at points weird. But in a good way. I'm also biased since she is my favorite Champion.
Black Tower. This was odd as I didn't care much about it first, but it grew on me. Never really expected to hear contemporary music in a Pokemon game, so that was a great surprise. It never really got tiresome either, I still love it even after beating those 1000 trainers in Unova's Challenge. Wish I could go back again, will see what the future brings...
Aspertia City. This is also rather strange since I'm not sure if I like the music or if it just has so many good memories attached to it. A simple and sweet melody for my favorite starting city, carrying both happy and sad tunes which I appreciate.

X/Y
Yet another great soundtrack, albeit not as memorable as the one from last generation... yet. Several good songs though.
Professor Sycamore's Theme. There has been many great character themes in the series, and this is one of my favorites. I love the instrumentation and the melody.
Laverre City. Good theme for a great city, varied enough with a great melody and instruments.
Pokémon League. A wonderful final theme for the final frontier of the game... or something like that. Probably my favorite of all Pokemon League Themes from the series. Makes me want to return there even if I'm not going to battle the E4 again.

Honorable mentions? I'm too tired for that right now and it has no effect on the votes so I skip it.

I hope all the links to the music are correct, in the rare event that someone actually tries all the links, let me know if there are any mistakes and I'll fix them.

If this list allowed anime tunes, I'd probably add "Double Trouble" to my RBY section.
Pokémon Yellow Intro
This song sends me nostalgia every time. I used to turn on my Game Boy Color just so that I could see and listen to this short but highly entertaining intro.

S.S. Anne
This tune made the S.S. Anne a very memorable site, especially once you realize that you never get to return there once the ship has departed.

Cinnabar Island
I always breathe a sigh of relief whenever I make it to this island in-game.
Azalea Town
It's quite a relaxing tune, good for when you need to slow down with the Slowpokes and relax. The GBC version does it better for me more than HGSS.

Johto Gym Battle/Elite 4 Battle
This theme made me feel like I still had a fighting chance, which is a good thing because I'm normally severely underleveled before I face almost everyone.
Hoenn Wild Pokémon
Hoenn Elite 4 Battle
These two battle themes have such infectious rhythms to them that I catch myself humming to them every time I hear them play.

Mt. Pyre, Outer Wall
It slowly grew on me when I went to go catch Chimecho for the Pokédex and is still growing on me today
Battle Mode--Gym Battle Theme
This is my favorite theme whenever I go into "Battle Now" Mode--if I hear it when using the Earthquake-spamming Ultimate-level Doubles team, I get super-hyped. It's also my preferred version of the Hoenn Gym Battle themes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvkYZSrwgjQ
Krabby Club
It's a simple but effective tune, plus it has the saxophone in it, an instrument rather uncommon among those used in Pokémon music.

Normal Battle in Colosseum/Battle with Rider Wille
Sorry, Miror B., I just prefer Willie's battle theme over yours, but if I could, I would have added your XD Battle Theme.
Champion Battle
I'm highly partial to the FireRed/LeafGreen version mainly because it has an overall powerful vibe to it, making the song satisfying and fun to listen to while you're clashing with your rival.

Sevii Islands 6 and 7
...I just noticed that this is the Violet City Olivine City theme. I guess I've just never thought to compare the two together! If I had to choose between versions of that tune, I'd stick with this one.
(Only 3? Gotta pick the ones that matter to me most, then)

Veilstone Game Corner
My absolute favorite Pokémon song! The rhythm is infectious and constantly upbeat, plus it makes a short reference to the original Game Corner Theme, which is quite nice.

Sinnoh Elite 4 Battle
This one, in my opinion, beats the Gym theme because it is played in a better key. As a song, I enjoy it because it sets the mood right for a serious battle.

Route 228/229
This music was what made trips to Stark Mountain less annoying. I think it matched both the sandy Route 228 and the densely grassy Route 229 very well. It becomes even classier when the melody gets removed during the night, too, which was quite the surprise when I first heard the nighttime version.
Vs. Rival
It's quite a step up in instrument variety from the original, and I love it because of it. The fluidity of sound in this version suits it pretty well.

Battle with Lance or Red
Whether you like it or not, this song stands as one of Pokémon's grandest themes, so I think it should get plenty of votes for this Discussion of the Week. The HGSS version is my preferred version, but I can always switch to the GB Sounds if I wanted to.

Raikou Encountered
It was always a welcome sound to just randomly hear this tune and see the (sleeping) roaming Raikou appear before me. I prefer it over Entei's or Suicune's because it sounds very electric, as it should.
BW Trainer Battle
My favorite battle theme. I can't really describe why, I guess it's just that I enjoy each segment of the theme to their fullest. Or maybe it's the use of the synth noises which keep the beat going.

Driftveil City
This melody sure perks me up. It made me stop in my tracks the first time I hear it play.

Decisive Battle with N
That solo moment in the song before it loops always gets me to hum out loud. That and the choirs.
Vs. Hugh
It's quite thrilling to battle while this song is playing. I can feel my momentum in a battle much better thanks to the song's killer beat.

V. Colress
If it wasn't the awesome techno-driven beat that hit me when hearing this song, it was definitely the numbers being called out in the background.

Ending & Credits
I think this one did best what a credits song should do: give you a sense of closure at the end of the main game. It also is a credits song that wants me to stay and enjoy the credits rather than skip over them.
Gate Theme
You have to admit, this is a very nice gate theme. Rather than invite you to sit and relax at the gate like in BW, this one reminds you that this is still just a gate and that you've got places to go.

Kalos Pokémon League
Let the horns and strings invite you into the grandeur that is the Kalos Pokémon League. At the same time, that subtle background beat lets the tune take a mood that makes you want to ponder over your strategy when taking the Elite 4 challenge.

Secret Super Training
The song I enjoy most from XY. If it had a longer version, it could easily double for an important battle theme, maybe somewhere in importance between Gym Leader and Elite 4 Member. The introductory beat, though, always alludes me to the Antasma Battle of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

I haven't played all of the generations (and can't remember hgss although I've played it whoops) so uh, I'll just be doing DPP/BW/XY

DPP: Someone's already mentioned the Dialga/Palkia theme, but I want to second it anyway. It's just such a great theme, gets me really pumped. The Giratina theme deserves a mention too- perhaps it's not as good if you're just listening to it, but when you've just been through the distortion world (or turnback cave) and you're in the Giratina battle, it's wonderfully creepy and epic! Also, the Cyrus theme- feels very space-y and just a little ominous. You can tell he means business. Also had the Ghetis' theme drums before Ghetis did ;)

BW/2: Route 10! If you upped the tempo a little bit, it could totally be a champion's theme, I swear! It's good enough to have made the Smash Bros. soundtrack as well, so there's that too. Someone's mentioned the ending theme, and again, I have to second that (for both BW and BW2). Man, Unova had such good music. The BW Team Plasma grunt theme was also brilliant, just made me want to go and get some bad guys...

XY: Snowbelle city! I taught myself how to play it on the piano and everything, it's just so pretty. Anistar city has a great theme too. It reminds me of the PMD2 temporal tower theme, I think and maybe maplestory's temple of time.
(If spinoff games were included, PMD2 would get all of my nominations, just saying :P)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)