Other Discussion: Which Pokemon will Fairy impact the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least Granbull has something to do in intimidating dragons now. Unfortunately Mawile does what he would do better but with MegaMawile existing Granbull might be able to play with the NU dragons.

Another thing about Gengar and mega evolutions in general, is that it is possible to NOT mega evolve and predict a switch to a ground type. The opponent won't know which of your Pokémon carries a Mega Stone, so it might be an idea to run Gengar without it to lure out opposing ground types (especially if your team has a general weakness to them).

I also think Azumarill will become beastly! It is only weak to Grass, Electric and Poison. Its stabs hit Dragon, Dark, Fighting, Fire, Ground and Rock for super effective damage and it is not resisted by any one type. Ferrothorn resist it, every Poison-Grass Pokémon in existence resist it.

Speaking of which, I think the Poison-Grass typing has become a lot better! Before I often felt that the Poison typing just crippled the Grass, but now it is really of good help! I have noticed in-game how extremely useful Poison stab on my Ivysaur is, and I haven't even gotten to the part of the game with the more threatening fairy types.

Anyway, it is important to remember that even though something looks brilliant on paper, doesn't necessarily mean that it will be good.

Another thing about Gengar and mega evolutions in general, is that it is possible to NOT mega evolve and predict a switch to a ground type. The opponent won't know which of your Pokémon carries a Mega Stone, so it might be an idea to run Gengar without it to lure out opposing ground types (especially if your team has a general weakness to them).

I also think Azumarill will become beastly! It is only weak to Grass, Electric and Poison. Its stabs hit Dragon, Dark, Fighting, Fire, Ground and Rock for super effective damage and it is not resisted by any one type. Ferrothorn resist it, every Poison-Grass Pokémon in existence resist it.

Speaking of which, I think the Poison-Grass typing has become a lot better! Before I often felt that the Poison typing just crippled the Grass, but now it is really of good help! I have noticed in-game how extremely useful Poison stab on my Ivysaur is, and I haven't even gotten to the part of the game with the more threatening fairy types.

Anyway, it is important to remember that even though something looks brilliant on paper, doesn't necessarily mean that it will be good.
I don't know about Azumarill. Dragons resist its priority and its slower than they are so won't be surviving to hit them with Fairy.

I don't know about Azumarill. Dragons resist its priority and its slower than they are so won't be surviving to hit them with Fairy.
It's surprisingly bulky enough to take even boosted non-STAB earthquakes though.

At the moment there are not many choices when it comes to OU-viable fairy-types, which is a bit disappointing. Azumarill and Togekiss are the most likely candidates, maybe with Sylveon and Gardevoir coming in second. Still, those two alone are decent enough checks to physical dragons that they will need to start changing up movesets. (Togekiss, for instance, which hard-counters Salamence and Garchomp without Stone Miss and even Dragonite with a few Defence EVs — which hasn't been a realm of possibility until now!)

Funny thing about Hydreigon is, that it went from being uncounterable to being hard-walled by Sylveon. Even LO Flash Cannon can't manage a 2HKO! :(
Keldeo looks pretty sad too, now that Azumarill is getting popular. (And the rain nerf...)

As for Outrage, it's still a big problem to have knocked something out with it, only to face a Fairy-type the next turn. Then, it's a free opportunity to take a Moonblast to the face, or worse, being set up on.

Last edited:
A Swords Dance-boosted Iron head from Aegislash' offensive form will OHKO any fairy type pokemon in the game I'm sure... so yeah, that one will cause the most problems.

edit : sorry I misread the title...

I don't see the 6th gen Fairies making OU except maybe Klefki if its movepool is good enough. Florges and Sylveon are way too physically frail to properly check physical dragons. Slurpuff and Aromatisse good enough stat-wise to be too relevant. Togekiss and Azumarill, on the other hand, seem like they will be solid. Togekiss's 4x resistances to Fighting, Bug, and immunities to Ground and Dragon in particular sound absolutely fantastic. It can find plenty more opportunities to Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts than ever before.

Heracross is gonna get ass raped by these Fairies, most notably Carbink and Klefki, both of which have massive defensive stats that resist Heracross' STAB combo, and it forces Heracross to run Edgequake on all of its sets in order to deal with them.

Even if Heracross runs Earthquake on its most common set (being Scarf Moxiecross), you could just switch in a flyer like Hawlucha and it'll wreck Hera one-on-one and, on a similar note, also resists Hera's STAB combo.

But what if the opponent packs a sleeper like Roserade, Bronzong, or Milotic and they know you're not running Talk? You'll have to switch out to your cleric, who then gets hit by a Toxic or just straight KOed.

But what if you don't have one of your STABs? If you lack Megahorn, you lose to Claydol and Slowbro and if you lack Close Combat, you'll lose to Rhyperior.

Carbink isn't that great in general, though, and since Hera's probably going to be UU he's going to be far to high up for its positives to start shining through. Klefki is a bit more threatening, but can't do anything back really.

I really hope, there are more retcons coming the way. Celebi and the Lake-Trio seem the most fairy-like, and if they get retyped, it would change things up a lot. I have the feeling though, that Gamefreak are reluctant to change legendaries. Even though they did exactly that with Mega-Mewtwo...

Azelf will be a monster if it goes Psychic/Fairy. It'll be Togekiss on crack.

What about Mr. Mime.
It's got Nasty Plot, excellent speed, SpA. I think people really underestimate him.
90 Base Speed is HARDLY excellent. It's quite terrible in OU, actually. And looking at the thing, I don't see much it can do other than Soundproof Baton Pass that Sylveon can't do better. Maybe a Nasty Plot set, but that's it.

I actually think Whimsicott could see some use here as a dragon counter. It's not really very threatening, but encoring a dragon-type into a useless STAB move could have some use, and Whimsicott can have decent physical bulk with the right EV spread. Only problem is the same problem Whimsicott has always had -- once it's done that, it can't really do anything.

But, yeah, really, the 'end of dragons' I think was pretty overblown. Fairy types are good, but dragon types have always carried coverage moves. If anything, fairy-types have just put an end to the Outrage and Draco Meteor spam of gen 5.

I can see Hydreigon drop down to UU then gets banned to BL because Hydreigon is too strong of UU of its 600 BST and wont be as viable in OU anymore due to 4x weak to fairies. Unless it runs Sludge Bomb it should be fine for Hydreigon to stay OU. Garchomp needs to run a different set to make up for its hard hitted state, I don't see the problem with Dragonite, Sal or Tyranitar. I think Megazard X learns Iron Tail to kill fairies (I hope it learns as egg move) Even though Zard is not Weak to fairies even though he is represented as a Welsh or Red Europeon Dragon by Originated Design (found that on youtube) but the Y form Resists Fairies due to Fire/Flying which is good for Zard but not its litter bug stealth rock muppets.

Only Xerneas goes to uber which is obvious. I say Gardevour maybe OU due to better typing and MEvo but in terms of Stats and Movepool, I wont expect top usage but maybe middle usage. I don't know about Sylveon except Gardevour Outclasses it I think so UU for Sylveon but Scrafty will go down to RU but not sure about NU but I only expect like Gardevour to OU, Maybe Mime to UU and Standard Mawile to RU but those are my opinion not what smogon should put. Resistant to Bug, Fighting, Dark and immunity to dragon is good one but Not very Effective against fire was a defensive buff to fire types as well as poison but Poison and Steel are offensively Buffed and I can see some viable poison types go up in usage to counter fairies.

With the Steel Defensive nerf and offense buff I could see risen usage of Lucario, Magnezone and even Scizor to 1st place only magnezone would stay OU but I am not sure Lucario megaform or Scizor both forms go uber but that's what I think but lets see how the 6th gen metagame fares.

I think Sylveon and Gardevoir (Mega) are viable for OU this generation. Gardevoir completely ascends past her current tier because she can now destroy her biggest weakness, Dark. Her Mega Form has a base 100 speed, which isn't fast at all, BUT she can check some slower dragon types. Sylveon has decent bulk actually, and with some proper EV spread, it'll be able to take a couple hits. I just wish Reuniclus would have gotten a Fairy typing, he's bulkier than Gardevoir, and was my favorite Trick Room user in his Tier. He would have been damn near perfect since we could have replaced Focus Miss with Moonblast :O

Hydreigon was OU.

It now has a 4x weakness and something that is immune to one STAB and resists the other. And unlike Steel-types, which it Fire Blasts, it doesn't really have much for Fairies; it might get Sludge Bomb, but otherwise it's resorting to 60 BP Hidden Power Poison or Steel.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I think that Latias is one of the Pokemon that is affected the most, in a negative way, by the introduction of the Fairy type. The big reason why is because Latias' best set, SubCM, relies solely on Dragon Pulse to deal damage. This was excellent in previous gens because there's not type that's immune to it so it could sweep against pretty much any team, except those with a Steel CMer or something similar. Now, it can't touch teams with a Fairy at all which makes it very unreliable. Everyone knows how bad mono attacking is when the type you're using has an immunity. 2 attacks CM Latias is not as effective and it wants to run something like HP Fire anyway which does jackshit to most Fairies that have high Special Defense. Its offensive sets are still going to be good, but in a lot of situations they are outclassed my Latios.

D-Tail shufflers like Dragonite and Kyu-B sure took a hit seeing as their shuffling games can now be brought to a grinding halt. Kyu-B could slide in Iron Head or Flash Cannon to the set, but it really doesn't appreciate losing Substitute, Hone Claws, or Roost, because all of those moves were what made the set work so well in 5th gen. On another note, it's going to be tough to decide what to run on Kyu-B's mixed sets, because a steel move will almost be mandatory.

I think that Latias is one of the Pokemon that is affected the most, in a negative way, by the introduction of the Fairy type. The big reason why is because Latias' best set, SubCM, relies solely on Dragon Pulse to deal damage. This was excellent in previous gens because there's not type that's immune to it so it could sweep against pretty much any team, except those with a Steel CMer or something similar. Now, it can't touch teams with a Fairy at all which makes it very unreliable. Everyone knows how bad mono attacking is when the type you're using has an immunity. 2 attacks CM Latias is not as effective and it wants to run something like HP Fire anyway which does jackshit to most Fairies that have high Special Defense. Its offensive sets are still going to be good, but in a lot of situations they are outclassed my Latios.
Yesssssssss!! Latias is taking a huge slap to the face with the fairy types

The Kyurem formes got off relatively unscathed by the fairy invasion as well. Normal Kyurem barely ever used its dragon STAB, Kyurem-B might have lost the ability to 2HKO the metagame with CB Outrage (or maybe not, it gets Iron Head) but its superior mixed and Substitute sets are still effective and Kyurem-W still has that absurd special attack and can hold boosting items, unlike megas.
They also got a new excellent partner in Aegislash, who resists everything they're weak to, can deal with Kyurem's best checks such as Scizor and greatly benefits from being paired with a strong special or mixed attacker that can eliminate walls like Skarmory and Hippowdown, something the Kyurem formes are great at.
Good for Kyurem. It might be the most unscathed of the new dragon types, assuming B doesn't get Ice Punch and sent to Ubers this gen.

Hydreigon was OU.

It now has a 4x weakness and something that is immune to one STAB and resists the other. And unlike Steel-types, which it Fire Blasts, it doesn't really have much for Fairies; it might get Sludge Bomb, but otherwise it's resorting to 60 BP Hidden Power Poison or Steel.
Coverage doesn't require a super-effective move, though. Quad fairy type weakness hurts, yeah, especially given Hydreigon's multitude of existing weaknesses, but I don't think it'll bump it down a tier at all. It still has Fire Blast for hitting fairies, it still has good speed and great mixed attacking stats.

Coverage doesn't require a super-effective move, though. Quad fairy type weakness hurts, yeah, especially given Hydreigon's multitude of existing weaknesses, but I don't think it'll bump it down a tier at all. It still has Fire Blast for hitting fairies, it still has good speed and great mixed attacking stats.
Unforunately, Fire Blast won't be doing much to Fairy Types in general as most of them have amazing Sp.Def bulk. The fact that Sylveon, Floregess, and even Clefable can all switch into any typical move Hydregion carries and threaten it with that 4x SE Moon Blast really hinders Hydregion. Our Dark/Dragon friend wasn't even a top tier threat at the end of gen 5 so I don't expect it to raise in usage at all.

Wouldn't be just unban Soul Dew? Lati@s would stay afloat in OU at any cost, for with a Soul Dew I don't see many Fairy attacks denting them. Yes, they no longer have Draco-Meteor-spam, but Calm Mind and Soul Dew should make up for that, shouldn't it? Defensively, they'd still be as good as anything. I'm not good at this calculating stuff, but could someone run a few calcs for Lati@s with Soul Dew taking special Fairy hits (wait, are there ANY physical fairy type attacks even?) and hitting them with a +1 or +2 Psychic/Psyshock/Surf?

EDIT: And wait, Torkoal is Fairy-type now?

Forcing them into OU would never be a thing, but Soul Dew may need a chance in OU if/when it finally shows up rather than simply assuming it's broken again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)