ORAS Ubers Divide and Conquer: ΩRAS Balanced-Heavy Offensive team

Hello again, RMT. Cobalt 100π minus remainder is back with another attempt at creating a semi-decent team that is able to effectively, yet barely, hold its own against the majority of the Ubers metagame. In this RMT thread, I will not go into a detailed account of my team-building process, since then I'd have to cover four months worth of successes and failures, and I'd also have to talk about nearly every single Uber Pokémon bar White Kyurem, Palkia, and five of the eighteen Arceus types. Instead, I will fully dedicate my RMT to the analysis of my team, how each member functions, and what this team can handle/what it has trouble taking out. I will list out individual movesets, provide explanation to the moveset choices, and describe the general function of the Pokémon on the team. So, without further ado, well, you know.

Overview of the team and its function:

This team is designed to combat much of what the metagame can throw at it. I've tried to include a Pokémon that counters or at least checks every single threat that exists in Ubers, although I probably missed a few, since you can't account for every possible scenario in teambuilding (as far as we know). Below, each individual Pokémon will receive an in-depth analysis and how it fits together with the team.

Groudon:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 224 HP / 240 Atk / 32 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Primal Groudon is a near must on many teams, and it can be adapted to almost any situation. After I finished constructing my team, I analyzed what my team was lacking, and I decided to go with an offensive Stealth Rock variant for Groudon as my team was severely lacking in entry hazards. Since my Groudon, and my entire team in general bar Lugia, wants to have as high of a damage output as possible, Precipice Blades is the optimal STAB of choice, as even though 85 Accuracy is less than optimal, 120 BP is much higher than 100, and can achieve some notable OH- and 2HKOs that Earthquake cannot. I feel like it's best to be consistent, and for this reason I chose Fire Punch, as it has solid damage output, works off Groudon's high Attack, gets boosted in harsh sunlight, and even has a 10% burn chance that for some reason never occurs. I prefer Stone Edge in the last moveslot because it provides the excellent EdgeQuake (or in this case EdgeBlades) coverage combo, although I've considered Dragon Claw to better deal with the Eon Duo.

I tend to send out the Behemoth in the mid- to late-game, although in rare cases where I don't know how to best lead, I'd start off with him. Since Primal Groudon is the only Pokémon that is capable of setting Stealth Rock, I have to be careful to save it until the opposing Latios, Latias, or Giratina is knocked out, or otherwise in an unfavorable position to Defog, so that my Rocks will get up and stay up. I decided to run offensive Stealth Rock rather than defensive, since there aren't many OHKOs or 2HKOs with this EV spread that would become 2HKOs or 3HKOs, respectively, with a more bulky set, and Pokémon that would have an easier time dealing with this set have a harder time dealing with my other Pokémon, so I think this EV spread is fine as is.

Deoxys:

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

I really enjoy using Deoxys-Attack, as it is able to take out a large portion of the metagame in only one or two hits. For that reason, I decided to use it on my team, and it is the one Pokémon that I must keep on my team. Psycho Boost, Life Orb, STAB, and 252 Special Attack EVs can take out many notable threats in the metagame, including Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Geomancy Xerneas. Knock Off cripples item reliant Pokémon whose items can be Knocked Off, but it also deals considerable damage even to Mega Mewtwo Y and Giratina-O, whose items cannot be knocked off. Extreme Speed is useful for cleaning up weakened threats that Psycho Boost or its other moves failed to completely KO. The choice between Low Kick and Superpower was a difficult one to make, and even now I'm not entirely decided on which one to use. Superpower provides more consistent damage, guarantees a KO against non-sashed Darkrai, and deals much more damage to Klefki, but Low Kick is useful for its lack of stat drop recoil, as well as still being able to deal with a majority of the massive Uber Pokémon.

I consider Deoxys-A to be the glue of my team, punching holes and KOing a lot of threats that the rest of my party needs out of the way. A particularly satisfying combo I enjoy doing greatly is using Psycho Boost on a GeoXern or Extreme Killer that tries to set up on me, and then finishing it off with an Extreme Speed of my own. If I already used Psycho Boost before Geomancy Xerneas was sent out, Knocking off its Power Herb as it sets up, then following up with another Psycho Boost/Extreme Speed is equally satisfying, and probably even more rage-inducing on the opponent's side. I sometimes use Deoxys-A as a decoy lead, baiting an opponent's Taunt as I go for a potentially fatal Psycho Boost.

If you want more information as to how I use Deoxys-A, please check out this page, of which I was the primary contributor: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/deoxys-attack

Arceus:

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Ground Arceus is sort of a bulky setup cleaner-type Pokémon, and so far, He has not let me down. Calm Mind helps boost the damage output of Judgment and Ice Beam, one of which is His main STAB, and the other of which helps deal with Yveltal and Mega Salamence much more easily. Recover helps prolong His lifespan, and the EV spread optimizes bulk and maximizes Speed. Pretty much the standard Calm Mind Arceus-Ground.

I was heavily debating which Arceus to use on my team, trying to find a plate that has team synergy in both typing and moveset. I only considered the Arceus that were present in A- rank and up on the viability rankings, leaving me with Extreme Killer, Dark, Ghost, Rock, and Ground. I then examined what weaknesses I already have, and ruled out Arceus Ghost and Rock, as they add to the Dark- and Ghost-type, and Ground-type, weakness on my team, respectively (I didn't rule out Groundceus due to originally having Primal Kyogre in the slot where I have Lugia now, and thus a smaller Ice-type weakness). I decided not to use Extreme Killer, as it is too common, too easy to use, and too easy to predict on my team. All I had left were Dread Plate Arceus and Earth Plate Arceus. And, like the case of Low Kick vs. Superpower and defensive vs. offensive Primal Groudon, I'm still not sure which Arceus would be better to use on my team. And now that I have discovered that I have an even larger weakness to Ice after making the switch to Lugia, I'm even more inclined to switch to Darkeus. The think that differentiates Ground Arceus from Dark Arceus is its ability to switch into a Thunder Wave, provided Primal Groudon and Mega Diancie are both gone.

Diancie:

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Mega Diancie is a wonderful asset to my team, and I really enjoy having it around. Moonblast, Diamond Storm, and earth Power provide all the coverage Diancie needs. Moonblast and Diamonds Storm are wonderful STABs, and can help reduce damage from the opponent, either by lowering Special Attack or raising Defense, respectively; while Earth Power helps deal with Primal Groudon and other Ground-weak Pokémon. In the last moveslot, I chose to use Protect, as it provides Mega Diancie with a free turn to Mega Evolve and increase its Speed. I chose Naive over Hasty to better deal with Physical Attackers, although I don't think either nature will make a huge difference due to its frail nature.

Mega Diancie is a great Pokémon to use, as it helps reflect Status moves and entry hazards back at the opponent. I often use Diancie as my lead; not only will it help reflect the hazards of suicide leads, but I can help reserve it for later if I ever feel like a status condition will affect me later on in the match. While it is effective by itself, its damage output isn't the highest it could be, and as such, it takes Diancie often two or three hits to take out an opponent. However, it has great utility, and I don't see myself removing this Pokémon from my team anytime soon.

Latios:

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Memento
- Defog

I decided to use Latios as my Defogger, and he works really effectively with my team. Draco Meteor is useful for dealing with Primal Groudon and pre-mega Salamence, while Psyshock helps handle much of the rest of the tier. In the last moveslot, I decided to run Memento, as with Latios's naturally high speed, he can cripple an opponent quickly and efficiently should he ever reach too low a HP to function effectively.

Since Latios is my Defogger, I try to keep him alive in order to clear hazards from the field both safely and efficiently. I've never had to use Memento, or gotten the chance to use it at that, but I feel like if the opportunity ever comes, I can use it to great effect. I was debating between Latios, Latias, and Giratina-O, since all three are viable Ubers Defoggers. The Eon Duo has better Special Bulk and Special Attack, while the Renegade Pokémon has better Physical Bulk and Attack. In the end, I decided that, since my team already has enough of a physically defensive presence, that Latios or Latias would have a more useful purpose on my team. I ended up using Latios for his slightly higher Special Attack.

Lugia:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Aeroblast
- Whirlwind
- Roost

The last slot used to be dedicated to Primal Kyogre, but I ended up switching the Leviathan for a Pokémon that can check Mega Salamence much better. I needed a Pokémon with access to toxic, as with the rising usage of physical sweepers, having a way to spread status is a beneficial asset on my team. I run Aeroblast so that Lugia isn't completely shut down by Taunt. Whirlwind is always useful to have so that I can phaze away opposing setup sweepers like GeoXern, MegaMence, and EKiller. Roost is in the last slot to provide a method of recovering quickly and preserving the Multiscale.

Lugia is my one defensive threat, and for that reason, I need to keep it healthy and in the Multiscale at all times. I always try to send in Latios first and Defog any Rocks the opponent may have set up, so that Lugia will keep its multiscale intact. I don't usually switch it in on an attack, since whatever the opponent may try to do is usually detrimental; however, I do switch it in when I predict a setup on the opponent's side, such as (again) Geomancy Xerneas, or Rock Polish Groudon. Lugia has great synergy with this team, providing a defensive boost that the team greatly needs, but other than these points, not much else needs to be said.

Threats about which I am greatly concerned:

• Mega Salamence
  • Yveltal
  • Rock Polish Primal Groudon
  • Extreme Killer
  • Ice Beam. While Diancie can outspeed many threats that run Ice Beam or the like, I am greatly concerned about Primal Kyogre, whose typing is neutral to Diancie's STABs, takes its attacks with ease, and can easily KO back with Surf, Water Spout, or Origin Pulse. Furthermore, if Diancie is gone, nothing can switch into an Ice Beam from the great Leviathan, and Primal Groudon is 2HKOed by any variant.
So, as you can see, this is my team, and how I usually use it. I you think I should change something, or if you have ideas on anything that I'm undecided on, please let me know below. I will appreciate any and all feedback you may have for me. Let's make this team a great team!

Last edited:
Latias > Latios
W o W Arceus Water
Yveltal > Deoxys A

This is just a Reminder for me because I am on my iPhone. I will give you a full Rate whenever I am on my laptop. Just for the moment: Defensive Yveltal and Waterceus cover your mainweaks Ekiller, Salamence and Groudon, while adding Yveltal over Deoxys-A will make you rather Ho-Oh weak so you will better go for Waterceus which handles all those threads very well.

I hope I was able go help you I will edit it later.

edit: Yeah basically you recieved a good rate from Pistolero while he said some points about my rate. The thing is Diancie does not mean an HO build it means more balanced that is the reason why I suggested Latias, Arceus-Water and Yveltal. It will make your team really solid but it is your decision in the end if you want to go for more offense or balanced.

Last edited:

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Laying down a placeholder for a different kind of rate, I'll post it as soon as Aim/Steelphoenix have finished their SPL match
Fuck the stupid audio drivers on this laptop. Anyway:

I wanted to try a new, interesting way of rating teams that was also supposed to take less long but ended up taking ages RIP. Jirachee I hope this method of rating is OK​

Fuck the stupid audio drivers on this laptop. Anyway:

I wanted to try a new, interesting way of rating teams that was also supposed to take less long but ended up taking ages RIP. Jirachee I hope this method of rating is OK​
Thanks for the rate, Pistolero! I like your ideas, and I've honestly never heard of RestTalk GeoXern, so I'll definitely try it out against my opponents to try and catch them off guard. I like all your suggestions, and I really appreciate you taking your time and going out of your way to make the video rate. It really means a lot. Now, I'm not going to edit the OP, since you have made a lot of changes/suggestions and I don't think I can fit them all in the OP, and also because I still want to see how many different suggestions I can get on my team; however, I will implement most if not all of your changes, and I think that my team will do even better than I hoped. Again, a huge thank you to you! May you continue to rate people's teams, and hopefully Jirachee approves of your method!

Nice team there. I played against you several times on ladder and noticed that your team has a weakness against double Primal teams and getting anti-led by Primal Kyogre against your Diancie since your checks get 2HKOed by +1 or even unboosted PKyogre. I'm not very good with team building so I can only think of either Roost or Healing Wish Latias for your team while you can try to play around it to send I'm Pdon safely. Hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)