DLC2 Crown Tundra Speculation Thread [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything else also lost HP Ice, Grassy Terrain was a thing last gen, and nothing relevant uses an ability that ignores Intimidate. Scorching Sands is also significantly weaker than Earthquake (70 power off 105 SpA vs 100 power off 145 Att) which doesn't play to Landorus's strength as a Pokemon who plays offensive and defensive roles simultaneously.

It's fucking Landorus. It's obviously going to be good.
Grassy glide isn't something that Lando will like switching into, and no hp ice means it walls itself now lol. I mentioned scorching sands because it's a great utility move, having a 30% burn chance would have been worth the power loss from earthquake on defensive sets. I never said it was going to be bad, I just think it won't be an S tier mon this gen. Especially if the strong breakers we're getting now stay in the tier

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If gamefreak doesn't care about singles, why would they
buff rapid spin
buff defog
add heavy-duty boots
add stealth rock
these moves/items have no use in-game or in doubles.

Also, much of the hype surrounding the Crown Tundra was the OP Tapus, and I'm willing to bet Gamefreak knows this. We know that we have no reason to be mad (S&S was a high-quality, effort-and-love filled work with absolutely no flaws), but Gamefreak also had no reason to not give these Tapus the moves. Why? If they don't care about competitive, why care? It's not like the fact that they are returning: Swampert gets Flip Turn via IoA move tutor.
While not prevalent, I am pretty sure these stuff see use. GF doesn't cater to singles, which is why so much doubles orientied shit has happened this gen.

https://pokepast.es/890ebbc0665f6afc

hittin' an absolute lic w/ regieleki right now, shot up to #3 in mere minutes. this shit is so brainless. rising voltage in terrain actually 2hko's blissey !! ridiculous. ohko's 90% of the non-ground type meta. like av mag take 80% smfh. you could use modest nature for even more power but timid is just way too good to pass up. it's faster than scarfkart with timid, 200 fuckin base speed LOL you aint revenge killin timid nature regieleki without at least 2 priority users

use something like blaziken to force in lando-t to take damage. mixed does wonders here. specs tapu koko is there to put your opponent in awkward positions with their ground-types because you either trap them in the gene-koko voltturn core (make volt switch u-turn btw, im nice w/ it so i always double lol) or they take dazzling gleam riskin' eleki/blaziken goin crazy. standard lando-i for rocks. -atk nature but rock slide still gets the job done for moltres which ppl love usin rn. lastly i'm trying that ghost horse and i gotta say its pretty fuckin fire. dark-types shit on it unless you use a wisp hex set but i wanted to use the np sub taunt just because fuck blissey

but man i really gotta say eleki is lookin promisin lowkey, a super matchup based pick for sure but with the right team support it goes crazy. ITS NEAR UNBEATABLE if they don't have a ground type

also in the current meta, genesect is def broken don't see it staying long. honestly i don't think blaziken and pheromosa aren't as bad as people are saying they are but beats me. also those calyrex ghost rider and ice rider designs are sooo nice 10/10

Last edited:
Boots Moltres feels seriously great with how many things it checks, especially if you have other things to keep rocks off the field after taking a knock. Spread I'm using:
Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 36 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Scorching Sands
- Roost
- Defog/Toxic/U-Turn/Sub/Whirlwind/Whatever you want really

Don't be fooled by Ice Rider's bad typing and speed, this thing is going to be an absolute nightmare in OU. With that massive bulk, attack and Moxie it can run Glacial Lance/High Horsepower/Sub/Leech Seed, force switches like crazy break walls and stack atk boosts while you struggle to break its subs.

Now that we have got the stats and movepools of all newcomers, I will finally complete here my segment about the upcoming Pokemon. Also, my expectations about the Tapus are now gone due to not receiving their terrain-boosted moves. Anyways, with the exception of the two Calyrex forms who are as of now in Ubers, I will write about all the new OU-legal Pokemon.

Galarian Slowking: My wish that it should keep Regenerator was granted, and now that it has more offensive presence than regular Slowking, it could have a potential niche in OU as an anti-stall Pokemon with its signature move draining PP. Now with stall expected to rise due to the broken 'mons such as Blaziken and Pheromosa currently residing for now in OU, it would be a good chance for Galarian Slowking to have a valid niche.

Galarian Articuno: Unlike regular Articuno, it has larger offensive presence thanks to an improved 125 Sp. Attack, however it has the same flaw with its Kantonian counterpart, which is lack of coverage. Also, it has a very serious flaw in not having any recovery whatsoever. I don't know where it will end, most likely in UU or RU, but slightly behind its counterpart due to longevity issues.

Galarian Zapdos: Galarian Zapdos has the largest potential out of the three Galarian Birds, due to its offensive typing and strong coverage in Close Combat, Brave Bird and Blaze Kick. In general, we saw from Hawlucha how good Fighting/Flying is as an offensive typing. If it had Roost, it would have been even better, but it has potential as a strong physical attacker and could see the light of OU.

Galarian Moltres: Unfortunately, Galarian Moltres is screwed in many factors, such as not having the same offensive power as its regular and quite hyped counterpart and of course, no recovery which means it will be outclassed by Mandibuzz on the defensive part. Offensively, it has a decent movepool and even Nasty Plot, but I believe that the stat change from regular Moltres leaves something to be desired.

Regieleki: Arguably the best Regi ever made, and as of now the fastest unboosted Pokemon in history. I mean, 200 Speed is out of this world. However, it has a horribly shallow movepool that leaves it neutered by Ground-types and mandating teammates that can deal with them, but under the right circumstances, it can fulfil its enormous potential by Speed alone and find a proper niche as a late-game cleaner in OU.

Regidrago: Sadly, Regidrago is just an epic disappointment. It has 200 base HP, but it can't utilise them properly due to its weak defenses. Also, it is obviously Fairy-type fodder due to its typing and said defensive problems, but luckily its movepool is bigger than Regieleki's. It is essentially Guzzlord 2.0 as stated by other users and will pretty much reside in the lower tiers.

Calyrex: What can I say? I knew from the beginning this Pokemon would be a worse Celebi, but did not expect this to have such a poor stat distribution and shallow movepool. Luckily, its two fused forms can do something well in Ubers, but regular Calyrex will go straight down to the low tiers, most likely NU at best and PU at worst. One of the most underwhelming legendary Pokemon we have ever seen.

Glastrier: A victim of Game Freak's idea about most Ice-types that will not allow it to fulfil its enormous offensive potential. While it hits hard and has some good moves to use, including Close Combat for strong coverage, base 30 speed is awful even by Ice-type standards. Hopefully Trick Room will allow it to have a niche, but I don't see it in OU, most possibly UU due to its awful speed.

Spectrier: Spectrier is pretty much a stronger Gengar but with worse movepool. I don't know why those new legenrdary Pokemon have shallow movepools. The good thing about Spectrier is that with the proper team support and good teammates that can handle Dark-types, is that it can become a good sweeper, especially with Nasty Plot being one of its few good moves. I think it can stay in OU as a decent sweeper.

And that is all I have to say about the new OU-legal Pokemon released, which means my 3-part segment is officialy completed.

Galarian Articuno: Unlike regular Articuno, it has larger offensive presence thanks to an improved 125 Sp. Attack, however it has the same flaw with its Kantonian counterpart, which is lack of coverage. Also, it has a very serious flaw in not having any recovery whatsoever. I don't know where it will end, most likely in UU or RU, but slightly behind its counterpart due to longevity issues.
Articuno is actually the only one of the trio to actually get a recovery move, namely Recover.

I imagine Trick Room is very anti meta with all the HO going around.

New relevant setters
G-Slowking
Magearna
Cresselia
Stakataka

New Abusers
Glastrier
Stakataka
Melmetal

We've already seen how strong Melmetal is under TR in the last meta and even with a few more checks around it's still going to be difficult to switch into. Stakataka got a couple of new toys in the form of Body Press which is insanely strong coming off the highest defence stat in the game and Heat Crash which I guess is nice if you really hate Ferrothorn. Glastrier is honestly terrifying under TR with that 145 Attack stat and surprisingly good coverage with CC and High Horsepower. Not only that but its bulk it so high that it can likely shrug off some super effective hits. Also shoutouts to A-Marowak who'll always be relevant to this playstyle.

As for the setters, G-Slowking is nice as it isn't weak to the very common VoltTurn and has a respectable Special Attack stat and fantastic coverage options. It's a shame that it doesn't get Teleport but I still think it's pretty good. Like with Melmetal, we've seen how good Megearna is already and while the Shift Gear sets are still better, it's still one of if not the best TR setter in the tier. Cress doesn't like all the U-turning going on but TR plus Healing Wish is always useful especially with all that bulk. I'll also mention G-Articuno as an ok setter due to having recovery and U-turn but honestly I feel like Slowbro pulls this off better with Slack Off + Teleport.

Not sure if anyone’s caught this yet, but I noticed that Tail Glow was apparently removed from the game. I was transferring over some mons from Home, and when I was moving a Xurkitree, I saw that Tail Glow still isn’t legal. So uh. RIP Xurk and any other Tail Glow user. Not that Xurk was gonna be much good this gen as it was, but a lack of TG just tanks its viability even further.

Does anyone have a set for Regidrago, even though its shit?

And for battle stadium singles, not this fictional "metagame" you all slave over that GF ignores because it was invented by LITERAL nazis lmao
Oh hi Verlis, didn't know you had an account here.

Anyway:

Regidrago @ Life Orb
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage/Scale Shot
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang

Lucky for you, this set should work in both Smogon singles and BSS. Just don't Dynamax it, it's not a very good Dynamax user.

https://pokepast.es/890ebbc0665f6afc

hittin' an absolute lic w/ regieleki right now, shot up to #3 in mere minutes. this shit is so brainless. rising voltage in terrain actually 2hko's blissey !! ridiculous. ohko's 90% of the non-ground type meta. like av mag take 80% smfh. you could use modest nature for even more power but timid is just way too good to pass up. it's faster than scarfkart with timid, 200 fuckin base speed LOL you aint revenge killin timid nature regieleki without at least 2 priority users

use something like blaziken to force in lando-t to take damage. mixed does wonders here. specs tapu koko is there to put your opponent in awkward positions with their ground-types because you either trap them in the gene-koko voltturn core (make volt switch u-turn btw, im nice w/ it so i always double lol) or they take dazzling gleam riskin' eleki/blaziken goin crazy. standard lando-i for rocks. -atk nature but rock slide still gets the job done for moltres which ppl love usin rn. lastly i'm trying that ghost horse and i gotta say its pretty fuckin fire. dark-types shit on it unless you use a wisp hex set but i wanted to use the np sub taunt just because fuck blissey

but man i really gotta say eleki is lookin promisin lowkey, a super matchup based pick for sure but with the right team support it goes crazy. ITS NEAR UNBEATABLE if they don't have a ground type

also in the current meta, genesect is def broken don't see it staying long. honestly i don't think blaziken and pheromosa aren't as bad as people are saying they are but beats me. also those calyrex ghost rider and ice rider designs are sooo nice 10/10
I'd replace HJK with Close Combat on Blaziken, that's a godsend because you no longer have to worry about it missing and taking recoil damage

Gapdos is busted. Just actually busted.

I have been running calls with a choice band Gapdos set, and the problem is almost none of the tiers current physical walls can actually, you know, wall it. For calcs I used Hawlucha with Gapdos stats, and the Moveset is this:

Hawlucha @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
- U-turn

Alright so lets see some calcs!

Toxapex:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hippowdon:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Clefable:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 250-295 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Slowbro:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 193-228 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

Ferrothorn:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 338-402 (96 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Weezing-Galar:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 181-214 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

About the only good Pokemon with a defensive matchup against this beast is regular Zapdos, just by it's ability to resist the dual stab of Flying/Fighting. You might think Aegislash too, but nope, Gapdos has Throat Chop, which hits for the 2HKO:

252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Throat Chop vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 192-226 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This bird literally overwhelms every single wall except for it's kanto kousin. Yikes.

1LDK

It's never going to get better
is a Top Team Rater
Okay so, im on online class bored and I tried to theorymon, regidragon has 200 hp and sub so i tried to make this a stall breaker

Regidrago @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Thunder Fang
- Rest

Ah yes, sets that only work on week 1, i havent calc anything since showdowns calc doesnt have regi in and the other dragon with 100 attack (Zygarde) doesn't have Dragon Claw nor Thunder Fang

Dragon because rawr attacks
Fang cause toxapex is big oof otherwise
Rest because no recovery and this thing ia weak to status
Sub because yes (no taunt in this mon)
The HP hits 601, self explanatory, max attack and the speed hits 200 so at least outspeeds Azumaril

So lets see if this would work at least in the lower tiers xdd
(I wrote this on cellphone so sorry for grammar and speling errors)

Gapdos is busted. Just actually busted.

I have been running calls with a choice band Gapdos set, and the problem is almost none of the tiers current physical walls can actually, you know, wall it. For calcs I used Hawlucha with Gapdos stats, and the Moveset is this:

Hawlucha @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
- U-turn

Alright so lets see some calcs!

Toxapex:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hippowdon:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Clefable:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 250-295 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Slowbro:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 193-228 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

Ferrothorn:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 338-402 (96 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Weezing-Galar:
252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 181-214 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

About the only good Pokemon with a defensive matchup against this beast is regular Zapdos, just by it's ability to resist the dual stab of Flying/Fighting. You might think Aegislash too, but nope, Gapdos has Throat Chop, which hits for the 2HKO:

252 Atk Choice Band Hawlucha Throat Chop vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 192-226 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This bird literally overwhelms every single wall except for it's kanto kousin. Yikes.
If it's Banded and locked in, you can switch to the appropriate answer, but it's pretty bulk and not very easy to revenge kill (Scarf Lele, Koko, Regi-Electric, Modest Specs Dragapult). Max Defense Skarm is 2HKO'd by Jolly CC (guaranteed with Rocks) too. Yeesh.

It can also uh, U-Turn out pretty freely.

Ironically, if it had Roost, G-Zapdos could check itself if not locked into Flying STAB.

AnimaticLunatic

I COULD BE BANNED!
The biggest winner of this entire thing is Rillaboom. He was not going to let his title as number one terrain setter that easily. Fini must have been accomplice or something. She was probably angry that her 2 brothers and sister got all the nice stuff from Papa GF. So she threw all there new toys over the bridge while flipping them off.

I can understand why Lele and to lesser extent Koko would be to much but Bulu? God damn, I am not sure should I be angry or happy since I like using these mons in OU, but they all got screwed. Especially Bulu.

Oh hi Verlis, didn't know you had an account here.

Anyway:

Regidrago @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage/Scale Shot
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang

Lucky for you, this set should work in both Smogon singles and BSS. Just don't Dynamax it, it's not a very good Dynamax user.
Okay so, im on online class bored and I tried to theorymon, regidragon has 200 hp and sub so i tried to make this a stall breaker

Regidrago @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Thunder Fang
- Rest

Ah yes, sets that only work on week 1, i havent calc anything since showdowns calc doesnt have regi in and the other dragon with 100 attack (Zygarde) doesn't have Dragon Claw nor Thunder Fang

Dragon because rawr attacks
Fang cause toxapex is big oof otherwise
Rest because no recovery and this thing ia weak to status
Sub because yes (no taunt in this mon)
The HP hits 601, self explanatory, max attack and the speed hits 200 so at least outspeeds Azumaril

So lets see if this would work at least in the lower tiers xdd
(I wrote this on cellphone so sorry for grammar and speling errors)
Two Drago sets with Thunder Fang... why? Running it for Toxapex is a mistake, since STAB Dragon Claw is nearly as strong even without factoring in the boost from Dragon's Maw (80*1.5=120, 65*2=130). I guess it hits Water/Fairies...

I feel like it might actually be optimal to run Outrage alongside Dragon Claw or Scale Shot. If Dragon's Maw is indeed a 50% boost like Showdown says, then Outrage does more than Fire Fang against Steels without a double Fire weakness. Once the Fairies are eliminated, just nuke stuff.

Oh yeah, and you don't need to worry about legality in the calc. Put in whatever moves, abilities, stats, and types you want.

okay so the new Regi abilities boost their power by more than 1.3x (which is Adaptability levels) for their STAB, it looks to be a 1.5 times boost

which is actually really REALLY strong

for reference, Regidrago's signature move is a 150 BP (at max power) Special dragon move, and with the ability (not sure how to calc it actually, but using Adaptability as a placeholder, so it's notably weaker) and (Timid) Choice Specs, it's probably 2HKO'ing full SpDef Ferrothorn and Blissey, and certainly 2HKO'ing PhysDef Ferro....Toxapex needs to be SpDef or it just dies

Remember how Specs Dragalge notably outdamaged Latios? Regidrago is stronger in every way-more BP (assuming full health, and even then this thing gets Draco Meteor), more base Special Attack, and a stronger boost to STAB.

even Scarf sets are looking to be dropping the equivalent of Specs Latios Draco Meteors

if it ain't a fairy, it's getting a huge chunk taken out

Two Drago sets with Thunder Fang... why? Running it for Toxapex is a mistake, since STAB Dragon Claw is nearly as strong even without factoring in the boost from Dragon's Maw (80*1.5=120, 65*2=130). I guess it hits Water/Fairies...

I feel like it might actually be optimal to run Outrage alongside Dragon Claw or Scale Shot. If Dragon's Maw is indeed a 50% boost like Showdown says, then Outrage does more than Fire Fang against Steels without a double Fire weakness. Once the Fairies are eliminated, just nuke stuff.

Oh yeah, and you don't need to worry about legality in the calc. Put in whatever moves, abilities, stats, and types you want.
Yeah not sure what the other guy was thinking lol, Dragon/Fire offers much better neutral coverage than Dragon/Electric.

In my case it was mostly filler, but it does stop Fini from stonewalling you so there's that.

Trying to think of a set for Regieleki that could take advantage of Acrobat (so it could have SOME coverage) and I'm coming up blank. I wish there was a one use item that guaranteed the next move you'd hit would land so it could use zap cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)