DLC2 Crown Tundra Speculation Thread [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
:ss/Moltres:

Moltres might have a good niche on stall and maybe bulky balance as it's typing is good defensively save the sr weakness (HDB) as Charizard has shown in ru due to its acces to defog .

:ss/celesteela:

R.I.P Celesteela 2017- 2020 utterly outclassed by Corviknight, better ability, reliable recovery etc

Also cool is we should be able to finally get Flame Body heatran as an option! I think the ubiquity of flash fire will allow some heat teching of Flame Body, similar to Bronzong with levitate. There are certain matchups where having a way to punish U-Turn will come in handy.

OU is going to be overrun with Helmet Garchomps, Tapus and Heatran early on. Can't wait to try All-Out Attacker Stakataka.

Also:

Can someone explain to me how Buzzwole is only considered a Urshifu "check"? It is a full-on counter:

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Buzzwole on a critical hit: 97-114 (23.2 - 27.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Buzzwole: 86-102 (20.6 - 24.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
I think because Urshifu gets Aerial Ace and Acrobatics which is 4x weak to. You would have to replace U-turn on the CB set though.
880.png

Something I haven't seen talked about is how Dracozolt now gets Sand Rush which is a great addition to the sand archetype. Mixed lets it hit bulky ground types with Draco Meteor so that will probably be it's best set.

Some calcs:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 265-312 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 208-247 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 437-515 (124.1 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 286-339 (68 - 80.7%) cannot take 2 unless SpDef
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 354-416 (98 - 115.2%)
0 Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 316-372 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%)

Fun fact the only relevant Pokemon that don't get 2HKOd are Hippowdon and Gastrodon with some spdef investment.

Last edited:

spatula

I LOVE CHIPFLAVOUR
is a Tiering Contributor
It's all theorymon but crobat is a mon that benefits a lot from heavy-duty boots, and it's got a good amount of utility in things like super fang, taunt, uturn, defog, a situationally useful defensive typing (ground immune + grass/fairy/fighting resistance), and reliable recovery. Hard to say if it will cut it in OU since everything's getting a lot stronger, but one of the main weaknesses of crobat in the past was that it was forced to roost a lot more often than it wanted to because of the rocks weakness, so boots should help. Moltres is another mon that might be able to use its defensive traits more effectively due to boots.

Another mon I think could end up being really good is blacephalon. Its frailty is still a weak point, but on volt-turn teams it looks like a scary breaker. We all remember how strong chandelure was pre-dlc, and blace is better in pretty much every way. With the removal of pursuit, you're also not playing 5v6 vs ttar, which is of course a massive buff.

Looking forward to the dlc...it was interesting having to play with some weaker mons over the past year, like sylveon, rhyperior, and toxtricity, but I've been craving my 570+ BST beatstick legendaries

Alright, guess I might as well discuss/speculate about the new mons coming out.
1601484148394.png

Glowking looks to be a rather interesting addition. Between its signature move and its (presumed) access to Regenerator, singles Glowking is designed to be the ultimate anti-stall mon. It probably won't achieve that in practice, but being able to actively deplete the opponent's PP is probably one of the greatest secondary effects ever bestowed upon an attacking move, particularly noteworthy against stall since those mons tend to be centered around PP drainage; anything that screws over Toxapex is a friend of mine. Given what we saw from Glowbro, I doubt Glowking will be an OU staple long term, but it will definitely have a solid anti-stall niche. As for movepool, it'll probably just be what Globro has (minus Shell Side Arm, of course), so we're probably looking at Nasty Plot/Eerie Spell/Sludge Bomb/Fire Blast or something along those lines. Since its signature attack doesn't go physical, I expect its spread to be either 95/70/100/95/100/30 or 95/70/95/100/100/30. I see it being a solid UU mon.

As for Doubles- *extended laughter*. Game Freak, I know you want to people to stop spamming Intimidate in VGC for some reason given other ability buffs, but this ability really isn't that good. Like, you made Dynamax (and stat-boosting Max moves) an essential Doubles strategy, and then made an ability that specifically screws over your own strategy while not effecting the opponents. Yeah, Curious Medicine is kind of crap.
1601484179631.png

Regional form Legendaries- because Legendary still had way too much actual meaning. In seriousness, these birds are pretty cool, even if I wish they had dropped the Flying type instead (0 for 3 on that first Electric/Fighting type). Starting with Garticuno, it's easy to assume the Psychic bird will be going special, combining STABs with some leftover Ice moves (I.e. Ice Beam, maybe Blizzard); I could also see it getting access to the likes of Focus Blast or Dazzling Gleam, but those are considerably less certain. It'll also probably have Calm Mind or Nasty Plot since with what lore we know of it, it would be kind of weird if Garticuno didn't get either of those moves (then again, Game Freak). As for other status moves, the only one I can think of that standard doesn't already get would be Hypnosis. Like standard Articuno, I think it will probably be more defensively oriented than the other two, giving a few points from either Attack or Defense to Special Attack if any stat changes are made. Probably destined for UU or RU.

As for Gapdos, it's needless to say that its stats will probably get a significant reworking given the physical direction Defiant implies. For movepool, it'll probably be STABs (definitely High Jump Kick) with Wild Charge for leftovers Electric moves (plus, WC doesn't seem too unreasonable from a lore perspective). For other coverage, I'm guessing it'll probably get another kicking move or two, most likely Mega Kick, maybe Blaze Kick too(regular Zapdos gets relevant Fire coverage, why not Gapdos?). As for status, this is definitely something I could see using Swords Dance, and probably still gets Thunder Wave. I'm guessing that in addition to Attack, it'll also get more Defense or Speed; assuming it maintains a solid speed tier, I definitely see this thing being OU.

Finally, while Goltres gets the specially oriented Berserk ability, I can also see this thing being the mixed attacker of the trio, the go-between for the physical Gapdos and Special Garticuno; that said, it'll probably still go all special in practice. Again, STAB attacks plus some leftover Fire moves (it's definitely keeping Heat Wave, but Fire Blast and Flamethrower don't seem outside the realm of possibility). Unlike the other two, I'm not sure what other relevant coverage it would get. It also probably has a good chance of getting Nasty Plot and Taunt. I don't think its stat will change that much compared to the regular version, maybe just a 10 point shift here or there. Still, I'd have to say it'll be UU at least.
1601484086301.png

The two new Regis are a bit harder to place considering that not too many details are known about them (watch as a ton of info on them gets leaked within an hour). Starting with stats, I think it's safe to say they'll both have 80 HP and 50 Speed just like the other three (we could see Eleki go a speedier direction, but we already have enough fast Electric types). As for the other stats, I'd like to guess that one will be physically oriented and the other Special, but that's a bit hard since both of their signature attacks seem to be Special. However, I do think that these two will be a little more attack oriented than their peers considering neither type is really known for defensive prowess and their designs just seem more suited to that playstyle; I don't think the stat shift will be too drastic, probably something like 125/175 instead of 100/200. At the very least, I'm guessing Drago will be more physically Defensive (cause crystals are hard) while Eleki will be more Specially Defensive.

As for other specs: we don't know much about their signature Abilities yet (as far as I know), but I'm guessing they'll also get Clear Body at some point down the line just to be more in line with the other Regis. For movepools, I think I can guess a few moves for each; Eleki will definitely have a bevy of other Electric moves, possibly Flash Cannon because it clearly has some metallic influences, maybe a Fire move because overheating circuitry (?)- okay, I don't have much for Eleki. Drago, I have a few more ideas for what we can expect; definitely other Dragon moves, probably a few Cannon/Pulse moves since- duh, Rock moves because it's made of crystals. I also think there's a decent chance of this thing getting Stealth Rocks. Okay, maybe I didn't have that many more ideas, but honestly there's only so much we can put together right now. If I had to guess tiering, I'd say probably UU or RU, maybe Eleki gets NU depending on what it gets access to.
1601484210212.png

Calyrex, the face of this expansion- is easily the biggest question mark of the brand new mons. Other than its typing and ability, we know literally nothing about it- even the Regis gave us one move a piece to work with. The one thing I'm positive about is that this thing will be Specially oriented, both as a complement to the physically oriented Urshifu and because- look at those noodle arms. Do you really think this thing is winning on physical ability? I'd normally guess this thing to have 600 BST, but given Urshifu 550 BST is equally likely. It'll get STAB moves and- maybe Dazzling Gleam? Possibly U-turn? ... I got nothing. As for competitive- I'm honestly doubtful that this thing will be OU- Grass/Psychic is just not a good typing offensively or especially defensively and its only known ability is not particularly good in singles. From what I know of competitive, I'd say whether it gets to shine in OU will be largely dependent on how fast it is.

That's what I can figure. A lot of this will probably be wrong because that's what happens when I guess.

Good Eeveening! Welcome to the first part of Eeveeto Viability Ranking Speculation. In this post I will briefly analize every full evolved returning Mon. Note that in my brain almost everything is D Rank at least, amolst everything is viable. So, lets begin:

Nidoqueen/Nidoking: C+ Rank. Can tear some balanced teams apart and due to the lack of Hidden Power, even offensive ones if they switch into an electric. The moment a Chansey or a bulky water (Gastro or Slowking for example) appear, though, they become almost useless. Swtiching in against some offensive teams can be tough too. However, they are among the best Koko checks, especially Queen. Being rockers that threaten most defoguers is another plus.

Jynx: C- Rank. I made it work on some rain teams last Gen, should be no different here. Benefited from the removal of Pursuit and from Boots existance, however the abundance of Knock hurts it. Still, Lovely Kiss + Dry Skin is a niche.

Omastar: C Rank. Dangerous Rain breaker or sweeper. Unlike Kingdra, it can break Blissey and Chansey. Has Knock, Shell Smash and Meteor Beam for Shell Smash sets. Could also function as a suicide Spiker lead in HO teams... if Mew didn,t exist.

Kabutops: C- Rank. Another dangerous Rain sweeper, but has a much harder time to boost. Unlike Omastar, it breaks Ferrro with Superpower, however Bulu and Boomer are not as hurted when they hard switch into him.

Aerodactyl: C Rank. Suicide lead. Fastest one at that (outside of Accelgor). Can use Taunt and Tailwind to support its team. Has Pressure, but its one of the worst users of that ability.

Articuno: C- Rank. There are many Defoguers with Pressure nowadays, and almost all of them are better. This one, unlike Zapdos and Corviknight, actually threatens Ground rockers when they don,t use Rock moves. Also has utility with Heal Bell and Haze as options. Boots made this Mon kinda viable.

Articuno Galar (asumming similar Stats to the Kanto one): C rank. The only wish I had when they revealed the legendary birds regional forms was to Articuno NOT getting the atrocious Psychic Typing. A Psychic move that can Freeze is good I guess, but for it to be useful, it will have to get moves that threaten the Dark types, especially Tyranitar. Competitive is a good ability, especially in Lando meta. Can also switch into some Defoguers like Fini and Corviknight (needs some move for this one though). Not enough information for this bird for now, but that typing, while better than Kanto one, still SUCKS.

Zapdos: A+ Rank. My favourite Defoguer is back and with Boots! Gained Hurricane and Weatherball too in order to be a threat on Rain teams. Outside of Rain, is a very solid Defoguer that can either Stall out Rocks with Pressure or Paralyze with Static + Discharge. Hurricane is still a good move outside of Rain, making up for the lack of HP Ice. Air Cutter is still fine as a STAB in Stall teams though, it has 40 PPs. One of the best additions for the OU Tier.

Zapdos Galar ( assuming similar Stats to Kanto one, but with Attack and Special Attack flipped, which makes a lot of sense from his desing and his move): B+ Rank. A Hawlucha, but actually good and not restricted to HO. Punishes Defog hard with Defiant and STAB combination, checks Urshifu well and can pivot out with U-Turn (99% sure it will get it) if there is a counter in the opposing team. The main thing that holds it back is the existance of Kanto Zapdos: it both checks/counters (depends if Galarian Zapdos gets SE or not) it and can,t be used in the same team due to Species Clause.

Moltres: B Rank. A nightmare for the Boomer and a good Boots abusser. Another one of the Pressure Defoguers that also has Flame Body to punish U-Turners. Now it has Weather Ball and Scorching Sands, so Heatran and Tyranitar are not reliable switch-ins anymore. In Rain it will be a strong breaker too. Knocking off the Boots will ruin it, though, which is why I put it in B and not higher.

Moltres Galar (assuming similar Stats to the Kanto one): A- Rank. Full list of Mons that resist both STABs is: Tyranitar, Carbink, Diancie, Tapu Koko, Dedenne, Mawile, Klefki, Magearna and Zacian-C. Checking this thing is going to be hard as fuck, especially with U-Turn being a likely move in its movepool. At last there will be a good Berserk user, having also a good defensive value, the same Mandibuzz has nowadays. Threat: detected.

Dragonite: B rank. I don,t think Dual Wingbeats is that much of an improvement, offensive DD sets still won,t be very good. Boots improves them though. What I like Nite for is for checking dangerous Mons such us Heatran, Blaziken, Volcarona, Blacephalon, Kartana, Venusaur and Boomer. With Multiscale and Boots, it will be good at that. Defoguing with Nite is another option, but not a very good one. Sub DD + Fly will probably still be a thing, better that getting credited for.

Crobat: D rank. Very fast Defoguer... but with not many reasons to be used. Has nice resists and decent bulk, but not much more. Boots are good for him. Counters Boomer.

Raikou: D rank. As with many electrics, losing HP Ice sucks hard for him. If its worse than in Advance, its very bad.

Entei: C- Rank. Almost every bulky water stop him but hey, it burns. Boots give some potential for Howl sets, but not expecting much from him anyway.

Suicune: B+ Rank. Solid win condition that cheeses unprepared teams with CM, Scald and Pressure combination.

Lugia: Uber. No explanation needed.

Ho-oh: Uber. Managed to probably be the Uber that improved the most due to Boots.

Sceptile: D rank. Losing an already not very good Mega sucked for him. I guess it can still cheese with some Unburden or Specs sets, but not expecting anything from him.

Blaziken:
A+ rank. Lost BP, lost Mega, lost HP Ice (useful for Lando and Nite), probably lost Lele too so has to use Indeedee to protect itself from Aqua Jet Mons. Checks like Dragonite, Slowbro and Gyarados gained Boots to check it better. I think its enough to prevent the chicken from going to Ubers, but it will still be a huge threat for many OU teams.

Swampert: E rank. Ding dong! Here is the first Mon that I consider totally outclassed and therefore unviable in OU. Gastro, Toad, Quagsire and in some very specific Rain teams even Whiscash outclass the poor mudh fish in OU. I don,t see a single reason to run Swampert as a ground type in OU, which honestly is very sad after what it had been since Gen 3.

Aron: E rank. If anyone is considering to use this at level 1 with Endeavor and Shell Bell in Sand Teams, I shall tell you that Togedemaru fully outclasses it because it has Spiky Shield and Nuzzle. And Togedemaru is already quite bad.

Aggron: C- rank. Tyrantrum outclasses it as Headsmash user... except for the ability to switch into Fairy Types, such as the S Rank Clefable. That is what I call a niche.

Altaria: E rank. Losing Mega sucks. Its now fully outclassed by Dragonite. Having Perish Song and Natural Cure is not enough, Altaria is unfortunately unviable in OU despite being so cute.

Cradily: D rank. Bad, but has a unique typing + ability + movepool combination. Pretty sure it can be made work.

Armaldo: D rank. Non water Rain sweeper. Bad, but not outclassed by anything, so...

Absol: E rank. Terrible. Only 1 STAB, horrible bulk and not very fast. I can name like 5 Dark Types that are better as SD sweepers.

Walrein: D rank. Give back permanet Hail. Or freeze dry! Something, please! Well, it gained Body Press, which is that, something. Could work as some niche Curse user, but there are lots of Mons better than it. Actually it can switch into Kyurem pretty well due to high bulk + Thick Fat, but it still fails to accomplish many things.

Relicanth: D rank. The only niche I see for it is being a suicide Band breaker on Rain teams with Headsmash. You will be better using Kabutops most of the time.

Salamence: C- rank. Intimidate, Moxie and Wish is what distinguish this Mon from Nite. Overall, it has less Bulk, more speed and only slighty more power than Nite, being worse 90% of the time.

Metagross: C rank. Can kill some fairies and Trick some counters I guess, but there are many better Steel types.

Regirock:
D rank. Gained a very strong Body Press, but it already could deal with Ferro using Fire Punch and with other Steels using EQ. Still a very bad Mon that almost no one should use.

Regice: D rank. No Freeze Dry, and no Body Press. Niche TR sweeper at best, altough Boots improve it a little.

Registeel: D rank. Ladder matters. And every single Gen some ladder hero makes it work, even in Tours. You should never underestimate a Registeel.

Latias: C rank. Outclassed by Latios, but has more Bulk, potential for Stored Power and Healing Wish.

Latios: A rank. Really strong, now with Mystical Fire and Aura Sphere. No Z Moves and Megas means Trick sets are better. No Pursuit helps a lot too. Honestly, had it better defensive typing and it might have been too much for OU.

Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza:
Ubers. I am glad the Primal Groudon is gone, maybe we will see some real Weather Wars in Ubers.

Spiritomb: D rank. Pressure is nice, but thats it. No Mega Medicham to counter this gen, although it did gain Poltergeist for Band sets.

Garchomp: A- rank. Lost Mega and lost Z moves too, which did hurt. However, lack of HP Ice means it counters many electrics easily. Still has many sets, such as SD, mixed and Tankchomp, which probably will be the best one. Its A- rank and not higher because while its not exactly outclassed by Zygarde (hits much harder right away and SD give higher boost than DD or Coil), it will share similar checks and Zygarde will also generally be a better Mon. If Zygarde gets banned (hopefully not), it will rise in ranks, when there is a Chomp, there is a way.

And that is for the first part of Eeveeto Viability Ranking Speculation. The second (and probably last one) will be posted this week, maybe tomorrow.

I feel like G-Zapdos is being slept on just a bit, while it has pretty much flat out hard counters in Zapdos hippo and ferro to name a few. It appears to have amazing pivot potential. Defiant+ Thunderous Kick/high jump kick + brave bird/drill peck gives it quite a bit offensive presence without requiring a lot of real investment.

Something like
HDB
Thunderous Kick
Flying move
U-turn
Roost

Thunderous Kick simply by existing is going to force so many double switches on the opponents end you can easily take advantage of them with good partners

View attachment 279242
Something I haven't seen talked about is how Dracozolt now gets Sand Rush which is a great addition to the sand archetype. Mixed lets it hit bulky ground types with Draco Meteor so that will probably be it's best set.

Some calcs:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 265-312 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 208-247 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 437-515 (124.1 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 286-339 (68 - 80.7%) cannot take 2 unless SpDef
252+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 354-416 (98 - 115.2%)
0 Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 316-372 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%)

Fun fact the only relevant Pokemon that don't get 2HKOd are Hippowdon and Gastrodon with some spdef investment.
It's worth noting that Dracozolt also gets Meteor Beam to boost its already huge Dracos. I don't entirely know if that will be more useful than substitute/worth running power herb for, especially considering its Bolt Beaks remain unboosted, but it could function as a nice lure for most hippos:
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 102-120 (24.2 - 28.5%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 331-390 (78.8 - 92.8%)
Total: 103-121.3% - a guaranteed kill on full physdef hippos assuming no lefties/rocks/grassy terrain, and a roll even with both lefties and terrain.
It's also worth noting that with power herb over life orb, Hippo has ~50/50 roll at OHKOing a full zolt when rocks are up even with no investment:
8 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dracozolt: 260-308 (80.9 - 95.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock - becomes guaranteed after life orb chip

Specially defensive hippo becomes an issue:
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Hippowdon: 69-81 (16.4 - 19.2%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Hippowdon: 223-264 (53 - 62.8%)
total: 69.4-82%, and ending with you at -1 SpA
But running fully Spdef will open it up to a 2HKO from your partner Exca:
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hippowdon: 208-247 (49.5 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Some other relevant calcs for bolt beak immunities and bulky resists, maxed out in spdef for demonstration purposes.
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 130-153 (34 - 40%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 210-247 (54.9 - 64.6%)
Total: 88.9-104.6% in 2 turns

+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 62-73 (14.7 - 17.3%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 404-476 (96.1 - 113.3%)
Total: 110.8-130.6% in 2 turns

+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 36-43 (9.9 - 11.9%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 220-260 (60.9 - 72%)
Total: 70.8-83.9% in 2 turns (but this requires a fully defensive excadrill which would be weird)

+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 130-153 (30 - 35.4%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 194-230 (44.9 - 53.2%)
Total: 74.9-88.6% in 2 turns (however if sleep clause is active this can still be a favorable matchup, as sludge bomb doesn't 2HKO)

+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 113-133 (27.9 - 32.9%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 170-200 (42 - 49.5%)
Total: 69.9-82.4% in 2 turns (the viability of AV tangrowth still remains to be seen)

+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 63-75 (14.7 - 17.6%)
+1 252+ SpA Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 205-243 (48.1 - 57%)
total: 62.8-74.6% in 2 turns (Draco will never kill from here at -1)

Obviously, all of these pokemon can switch to avoid the KO, but that creates a dangerous 50/50 where a wrong prediction gives Zolt a free kill, and a right prediction potentially still has a +1 SpA Sand rush Dracozolt staring you down.

While substitute+life orb offers you more raw power and prevents revenge kills from Clef and Exca, I think the Meteor Beam lure set could be more useful for sand teams once it gets Sand Rush, being able to lure and punish Hippos and Lando-Ts that can be problematic for Excadrill, as well as scaring the Corvs and (non-AV) Tangrowths that Exca already struggles with.

Theorymon as hell but that's what this thread is for.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

I think this guy will be at least a little more viable than he was last gen, mainly due to the loss of Z-Moves and the addition of Urshifu. The Urshifu part is obvious- there is no way Urshifu is breaking through something with Buzzwole's absurd physical bulk alongside a resistance both STABs, and no weakness to common coverage moves. As for the loss of Z-Moves part, this is mainly in reference to Z-Fly Lando-T (Buzzwole is now an unconditional counter) and a few other physical attackers that could only break Buzzwole with Z-Moves. Still has a fair amount of issues (no U-Turn, Fight STAB will either be weak or have a major downside, etc) but I can at least see it being slightly more consistent and quite appealing on bulkier teams in need of an Urshifu stop.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'm reasonably hyped up for this upcoming batch of dlc, so i figured i'd drop in my $0.02 usd. as such. given all the powerful returning threats, i wanted to assess some of them and speculate on how they may perform once they return. i won't be assessing the 670+ bst cover legendaries since they're obviously way too good for ou. this is a really hot take, but i don't think any of the returning threats bar the 670+ bst cover legendaries that already start in ubers + zygarde-complete are quick-ban worthy. many will be possibly worthy of suspect tests, but i think that most of these returning threats should have their fair shot at competing in ou before being put on the chopping block.

note: the threats in each category are ordered alphabetically.

amazing: any threat listed here is one that i think at minimum will be metagame-defining and strong enough that i won't be too surprised if a suspect test is called for it.

the blazin' kickin' chicken returns once again, but this time, i don't think it'll be as utterly busted as some people are speculating it to be. baton pass as a whole is banned from ou and 4mss will limit what it gets past. without knock off, slowbro can comfortably come in on anything a +2 blaziken can throw out. same applies to earthquake for the pex. without a boost from swords dance, blaziken struggles to make meaningful progress against the fat cores; without protect, it may struggle to get even one speed boost against more offensive teams. maybe i'm being too optimistic here, but i'd like to see blaziken get a fair shot at ou in this generation rather than having it be quickbanned.

robobug returns with a vengeance, but unlike its glory days back in bw2 ou, there is no arena trap dugtrio or shadow tag gothitelle waiting in the shadows to trap whatever unlucky shmuck it pivoted out on with u-turn. its versatility is still there, but now sets with shift gear, blaze kick, and/or extreme speed won't be nature-locked, further adding to the unpredictability that'll come with it. that being said, they will still be shiny-locked. choiced sets will be as good as ever, while shift gear / rock polish sweeping sets will be nightmarish to deal with in the late game. i'm excited to give genesect a shot once it returns.

a few peeps above covered most of what i think of heatran already. it'll be a consistent defensive bulwark against current threats like dragapult, volcarona, and rotom-heat + "new" threats like naganadel and tapu lele while also easing the burden on its team to set up rocks and switch into special attack. it can even run a pretty neat wallbreaking + trapping set with magma storm + toxic, but the loss of z-crystals means that it'll be slightly less efficient than before. choice scarf sets might pop up here and there, but that's more a relic of the past than anything else at this point. i expect to see this thing up there with clefable, the pex, and tapu bulu in usage.

landorus will be as great a wallbreaker as ever. however, it is worth noting that landorus lost one of its best support measures now that pursuit has been erased from the game. the loss of hp ice also sucks, but it won't matter too much if landorus gets access to hurricane via technical record. we'll just have to wait and see if it ends up being over-bearing for defensive teams again.

speaking of glue mons, landoge returns for yet another stint in ou. the sheer compression it provides is always handy for pretty much every team style out there. the loss of hp ice kinda sucks, but this loss isn't too big for landoge since that means it no longer has to worry about random threats packing heat hp ice against it. its sheer versatility is going to be amazing as ever. there is not much else i can say about it that others haven't touched on already.

with the loss of z moves, naganadel has no real way of busting through heatran unless it wants to give up coverage against other steels by using thunderbolt or dark pulse. it'll still be a strong wallbreaker (remember, by virtue of stat spread, naganadel is faster and slightly stronger than hydreigon!) and potential late game sweeper thanks to beast boost doing its thing, but i think it'll find a good, solid place in ou. on a tangential note, shiny naganadel is no longer locked into being modest woo!

my favorite mon from gen 7 makes her glorious return to ou, where she will once again be the fastest unboosted threat out there. additionally, much like hawlucha, she gets close combat, which in turn means that she won't have to worry about high jump kick's crash damage ruining a potential sweep. that being said, i think that ou is more prepared for her now. aegislash being settled into ou means many teams have an easy way to stuff her (assuming no throat chop) and the common clef + pex defensive core (assuming no poison jab) will stop her from making too much meaningful progress against them. the advent of heavy-duty boots means that defensive teams now get moltres and bulky volcarona as additional pheromosa answers. offensive teams can use aegislash, strong sources of priority, primarina, or unburden hawlucha + a terrain to keep pheromosa in check. speaking of the tapus, pheromosa will really appreciate having tapu lele as a teammate since it can soften up walls and get psychic terrain up to negate priority as a way to revenge kill her. overall, i think she will be a phenomenal pivot, revenge killer, or quiver dance sweeper that can get past one pool of checks but not another with her chosen coverage. that being said, i think there will be good answers to both sets now.

the expanded movepool (including rising voltage, an actual physical fairy stab in play rough, and great coverage in close combat) did tapu koko a world of good, thus making it more unpredictable than before. that being said, both sets have pretty solid answers thanks in no small part to the loss of z moves. hippowdon, amoonguss, and tangrowth do not care about the physical sets at all while special sets will struggle to work past blissey, mixed ferrothorn, calm amoonguss, and rotom-heat, among other threats. rillaboom and tapu bulu itself make for great checks to either variant thanks to grassy surge overriding electric terrain and both having access to grassy glide. of course, listing checks and counters doesn't diminish tapu koko's ability to do work, but i did want to point out that good, relevant answers that are easy to slot in a diverse array of teams exist.

this thing will be a phenomenal wallbreaker with specs + psychic-terrain-boosted expanding force. however, it can't just click on its kill sat (expanding force) mindlessly thanks to the relative abundance of resistances + immunities. as such, a combination of a fat steel (e.g.: corviknight, celesteela, heatran, jirachi) + blissey + skilled play should be sufficient in staving this tapu's assault. without choice specs, it becomes much easier to handle. i don't think tapu lele is as busted as some of the doomsayers are suggesting, but i could be wrong.

bird tornadus is going to be even better than before. it'll still do what it does well all while checking tapu bulu, rillaboom, kartana, and volcarona, and it can even threaten a sweep with nasty plot + a surprisingly wide movepool on top of all that.

the loss of hp ice benefits zygarde quite well, but it also mourns the loss of z moves, which removes one way for zygarde to break past its counters in one fell swoop. its diversity in movesets + great bulk + ability to bypass all ground immunities with thousand arrows, which in turn gives it more freedom to run different moves, will be quite fascinating to witness.

great: any threat listed here is one that i think will perform consistently well in ou at worst. unlike the threats listed in the amazing tier above, i don't see these threats having suspect tests called for them.

i don't have too much to say about dragonite. boots guaranteeing that multiscale will be up when it switches in is phenomenal and its typing means that it'll be a great stopper to volcarona, venusaur, blaziken, landorus, and other strong offensive threats. dragon dance sets will be decent, but the bulky sets are where dragonite will really shine. keep a good eye out for it.

ah chomper, how i missed you so. the loss of z moves kinda sucks, but the loss of hp ice for everything else is a massive boon for the landshark. its respectable speed tier, great attack, and not-so-surprising bulk (even when uninvested) makes it quite nice as a sneaky pebbles setter and early-game wallbreaker. as far as i know, it doesn't get dragon dance, but access to swords dance + scale shot makes it look pretty keen as a late-game sweeper. dragapult will be both a great partner and threat to look out for.

kartana is strong and fast. grassy glide means it'll pair well with tapu bulu and rillaboom. no z moves kinda sucks, but it'll still be fine. choiced sets are going to be solid picks.

the eon twins now have mystical fire and aura sphere as part of their already expansive movepools, which in turn will make them even more unpredictable and difficult to switch into. pursuit being gone is one of the biggest boons they could have asked for, so now they can use their choiced sets with slightly more ease than before. they'll be great, but the choice between latios or latias will now depend on whether their team needs more firepower or bulk.

offensive variants of zapdos were given a gilded ticket with the additions of hurricane and weather ball to its modest movepool, which in turn makes it a potent balance buster for rain teams. the addition of boots also remedies its weakness to pebbles and makes it a sturdier defensive mon. with static, it can also punish the myriad of u-turn users in ou with the threat of paralysis neutering their shenanigans. this thing will be great on bulkier builds.

good: any threat listed here is one that i think will have a solid niche in ou and remain ou by usage.

the existence of heavy-duty boots, the addition of scorching sands to its small movepool, and the complete removal of pursuit benefits this mon a ton. choiced sets don't have to worry as much about tyranitar and heatran while sub + 3 attack sets are now more viable.

MUSCLE BUG FLEX ON PHYSICAL THREATS

jokes aside, buzzwole is probably the single sturdiest check we will have against urshifu unless it chooses to run flying-type coverage over iron head, sucker punch, or poison jab. it also does pretty well against excadrill, rillaboom without acrobatics, dragon dance dragapult + swords dance chomper lacking fire coverage, tyranitar, and kartana, as well as a good smorgasbord of physically-inclined threats.

people are sleeping on suicune. the power seep thanks to the loss of z moves and mega evolutions means that suicune can stand up to more attacks while slowly being able to boost up and eventually overwhelm teams that lack the requisite power to break it down quickly. it won't like the prevalence of tapu koko, tapu bulu, and rillaboom, but those threats can be worked around.

zapdos kinda does thundurus would do for rain offense teams but better since it gets access to hurricane on top of weather ball, but that doesn't make thundurus a bad choice in the slightest. thundurus still has prankster thunder wave, which in conjunction with its firepower will make it a nice dragapult teammate in more offensive builds, as well as nasty plot, which gives it the firepower needed to break past threats that would otherwise wall both of them. additionally, its therian forme will actually make for a solid zapdos check thanks to it naturally outspeeding the thunderbird and packing even more firepower.

niche: any threat listed here is one that i think will have a smaller niche in ou, but may struggle to stay in ou by usage. remember, there's too many great mons out there for all of them to be ou by usage!

boots have given moltres new life in ou as a great volcarona and pheromosa check. some stall teams will get great mileage from the classic firebird. it'll probably be better than niche, but i think at worst it'll still be useful in ou.

nidoking manhandles the common clef + pex defensive cores better than almost anything else out there, but it likely won't be used too much in ou (if at all) while lando's genie forme is legal in ou. nidoqueen provides almost as much power while also having a bit more bulk, which can be handy for bulkier builds. the choice between these two is similar to players choosing between latios and latias for their teams.

ah, how the mighty have fallen. mence's offenses are still killer, which would make it a pretty solid mixed attacker, but it still faces substantial competition from its fellow dragons (most notably chomper, dragonite, and dragapult). however, it still can be useful in the right hands. its access to hurricane makes mixed sets slightly tougher to deal with, but not much else has changed. maybe it can see use in rain teams as a mixed attacker that can get past tyranitar, but i'm not betting on it as long as tornadus-therian is legal in ou.

miscellaneous:

it may be worth re-evaluating these threats once we've reached a small island of stability in terms of metagame developments, melmetal more so than galarian darmanitan and cinderace. new threats and an increased power level may make them more tolerable to play against. only time will tell though.

i didn't cover everything i wanted to cover with one post, but these are my initial speculations. i still stand by what i said at the start of this post (the only threats worthy of being quick-banned are the 670+ bst cover legendaries that already start in ubers + zygarde-complete) and am looking forward to experimenting with the returning threats this next batch of dlc has to offer. big thanks to those of you who actually took the time to read through my massive wall of text and have a great day.

Last edited:
First, most important question:
Should the combo/choice of Rillaboom and Tapu Bulu be RillaBulu, or Tapu Boom? RillaBulu sounds like absolute gibberish to me, an english speaker, but Tapu Boom is kinda cheesy and doesn't roll off the tongue nicely.
Also we totally missed the chance to call Cinderace + Rillaboom CindeRilla, as a slight nod to Cinderella.

Ok actual topic: Grassy spam
At least on my end, there's been a lot of hype about Grassy spam: Base 181 attack choice banded mon with beast boost getting a base 90 priority move? Check me in. There's also been a lot of debate on Bulu vs. Rillaboom, and I've made a choice on Rillaboom. They're both great mons in their own rights, and Grassy spam will probably use both.

:magnezone:
This mon will be of the upmost importance on Grassy spam. Previously, Magnezone was kinda nice for Rillaboom to have, but not mandatory because rilla could knock then U-turn out. Now, though, with Kart + Boom + Rilla + possibly Hawlucha, Magnezone becomes all but mandatory. Most teams will only be packing one sturdy Grass resist in Ferro or Boots Nite or Skarmknight or Tran. While Magnezone has a tougher time breaking through Bootsnite, its can trap and damage the other 3, and most of them get beat out by Fighting coverage from grassy spammers anyways.

:heatran: @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Lefties
Although including this mon has to take up the spot of Lucha/Suicide Rocker, Tran is just such good defensive Glue that having this as a defensive mon + rocker can be very good. Grassy Terrain was custom made for it, as not only does it not care about boosted grass moves because of it's quad resistance, it also takes only x2 damage from Eq rather than 4, and its problems with severe longevity are alleviated by extra lefties. One could even run Heavy-duty Boots to negate rocks and spikes so grassy terrain's lefties can do the work. Plus, let's look at the typing.

What is Tran weak to?
Ground: Eq damage halves, and resisted by Rillabulu
Water: Resisted by the grassy squad, and many are beat by Magnezone
Fighting: Resisted by Tapu Bulu, which will probably run bulky on these teams due to it's better bulk and longevity compared to Boom

What is Grass weak to?
Flying: Tran resists
Poison: Tran is immune
Bug: Tran Quad resists
Fire: Tran is immune
Ice: Tran Quad resists
The only type here that Tran doesn't Quad resist or is immune to is flying (from the likes of Bootsnite, which is a lil problem for this archetype), but zone quad resists flying anyways

As you can see the type synergy and effect synergy 100% exists, and on these teams Tran will probably be Timid + Earth Power to beat other Tran.
Yeah I know, Tran + Bulu + Kart isn't a new idea, just thought i'd rehash it here since now they have a solid HH Excadrill Resist in Rillaboom.

All in all this 6 has a lot of synergy and I will definitely be spamming the ladder with it when DLC day 1 rolls around
I advise that you run High Horsepower until the Hype dies down

Edit: Scratch the Nite thing: Nite will be forced to switch in to a lot of knocks, then get rocks up with tran and voila you have yourself a dead nite

Last edited:
1601494934349.png
personally, I can't see this staying in the tier, especially since last gen it only got buffed with heavy-duty boots for more u-turns, but generally scarf is probably where its still at for the sake of RKing the lati twins or even dragapult. I don't think its playstyle is going to be healthy, and i think its going to probably see the same fate since release (unban thinking what could possibly go wrong, only to be one of the first things to go soon after.), if we do end up testing genesect again, i better see a 'ah shit, here we go again' gif in the OP.

1601495076457.png
I think this deserves some time in OU before being quickbanned/suspect tested. It didn't last long in SM due to how absurd devastating drake was after a +2 nasty plot, on top of not dropping said nasty plot boost so it can obliterate the next victum (or finish the check that got put in a wheel chair switching in to the Z-move), and to make things worse it got a +1 speed boost at a speed tier that not even most scarfers could revenge kill. With Z-moves gone, its going to miss a lot of opportunities to find kills without the extra oomph of DD to get that speed boost, opening more opportunities to revenge kill it or check it. We do have solid defensive checks in blissey, chansey, heatran, and decent offensive checks, such as dragapult, weavile, mamoswine, scarf lando, and various other scarfers. I say fuck it.

1601495762106.png
I'm not sure about this one, tbh I thought the reason we kept this thing banned was due to baton pass before we ever made baton pass clauses, and kinda just forgot about it. I guess 120 base attack, access to sword's dance, speed boost, and semi-perfect neutral coverage with thunderpunch, flare blitz, and HJK (if it doesnt get CC) might be a bit much, but I guess we'll see.

1601505149745.png
not enough changed for zygarde imo. One of the more broken aspects of zygarde was that thousand arrows could be spammed without any real switchins, and i dont really see many new options for that

Last edited:
Everyone talking how Lele 2HKOs Blissey w/ Specs + Expanding Force... Charizard does the same thing with Specs + Sun + Weather Ball right now lol. To be fair, Lele will be much easier to use (doesn't have to pivot around Rocks and set up Sun), but Charizard definitely is not broken in OU now, despite the fact that it can also 2HKO PhyDef Pex (and nearly 2HKO SpDef Pex), with a resistance.

I hope council decides to retest Cinderace and Melmetal when DLC2 drops too; I don't think either will be broken with all of the dangerous mons being released.

Everyone talking how Lele 2HKOs Blissey w/ Specs + Expanding Force... Charizard does the same thing with Specs + Sun + Weather Ball right now lol. To be fair, Lele will be much easier to use (doesn't have to pivot around Rocks and set up Sun), but Charizard definitely is not broken in OU now, despite the fact that it can also 2HKO PhyDef Pex (and nearly 2HKO SpDef Pex), with a resistance.

I hope council decides to retest Cinderace and Melmetal when DLC2 drops too; I don't think either will be broken with all of the dangerous mons being released.
Yeah... Zard is a monster but you said it yourself. It requires huge amounts of team support with a pivoter, Torkoal, and preferrably Mulitple defogs just so it can take 1 mon, then rinse and repeat. God forbid they have a spdef ttar and all of a sudden you're not doing anything but missing focus blasts

romanji

you deserve someone better
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
But then :tapu-koko: :tapu-lele: :tapu-bulu: :tapu-fini: the tapu nation attacked.

With a vengence from being cut from the dex, the tapus training on their respective islands, come back stonger then ever.

:tapu-koko: With access to Close Combat and Play Rough, Choice Band will be a great item, as it can use U-Turn as a pivot while dealing nice damage in return. However, it's main problem still remains those pesky ground types such as :garchomp: and :landorus-therian:, which become even better checks due to the removal of hidden power ice to deal with them. This doesn't mean that the special sets are still bad, because of the new tutor move Rising Voltage, abusing it's own Electric Surge to deal more damage.

:tapu-lele: Tapu Lele has the best chance chance of getting quick banned, due to it's insane amounts of damage, getting 2HKO's on almost every pokemon, and difficulty to revenge kill due to it's psychic terrain. I guess you can just put in your Dark type on the switch, but then it dies to Focus Blast, Maybe Steel types become way better checks do to the removal of HP Fire.

:scizor: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Expanding Force (156 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Scizor in Psychic Terrain: 226-267 (65.8 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
:ferrothorn: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Expanding Force (156 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Psychic Terrain: 177-208 (50.2 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
:heatran: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Expanding Force (156 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran in Psychic Terrain: 188-222 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Oh.....
So the moment this thing should quick banned the moment it arrives

:tapu-bulu: Now we go down on the Tapu tier list with Tapu Bulu. Rillaboom has currently taken it's spot as the grassy terrain setter of this generation. Just like it's Tapu brother, it also recived Close combat and Play Rough. It also got High Horsepower to ignore it's Grassy Terrain. Speaking of it's terrain, it got access to the Isle of Armor tutor move Grassy Glide. The main problem holding it back is it has 4 moveslot syndrome. It would always want to run Grassy Glide and Close Combat, but what would the other 2 moves be. It could run Swords Dance, High Horsepower, Megahorn, Play Rough, and Stone Edge, but has trouble picking the the last 2 moves

Checks:
:Tangrowth: Tangrowth has the bulk to stave off hits and can chip it with Rocky Helmet. It can also OHKO it with Sludge Bomb It has to be careful of Megahorn.
:Zapdos: This is probably the best counter to Bulu, mainly because of Static being able to cripple it with paralysis. It can be able to 2HKO it with Heat Wave. Just like Tangrowth, it has to be careful of a coverage move, this one being Stone Edge.
:Corviknight: :Skarmory: :Celesteela: These steel flying types really can't be hit by any of it's moves super effectively and now that Z-Moves are gone, it can't get that big chip off them, and in the case of Corviknight and Skarmory, they can KO with Brave Bird on the -1 Bulu

:tapu-fini: This is definitely the worst Tapu, but it doesn't mean it's bad. Access to Stored Power and Draining Kiss gives us all PTSD from :magearna: pre-ban. This set can finally be able to deal with :toxapex:, one of it's biggest counters in gen 7, It can still run the physically defensive set to be able to check fire types and not worrying about steel types as much due to water giving it a neutrality. The edition of :Heavy-Duty-Boots: helps it become a better Defogger as it would be able to not take the residual damage from the spikes and rocks.

To round it out, I think that :tapu-koko: and :tapu-lele: will likely be Uber this gen, :tapu-bulu: will be OU and :tapu-fini: will be UUBL.

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
In no particular order:
my-image.png

Thots I mean Thoughts:

1. :Landorus-therian:- Lando is gonna claim its place as the most versatile mon in the tier again with scarf in particular being very good. It's rocks sets are not gonna be as great as last gen due to the loss of z moves, but the helmet set is gonna be just as good especially with no power creep. It'll be the defacto scarfer again.
  2. :Tornadus-therian: Banned to ubers with hdb+regenerater itself, nasty plots a bonus.
  3. :Heatran: Trans probably gonna be the best rocker, with it beating Corviknight rather than being useless against it like Lando and chomp.
  4. :Dragonite: Dnite gonna be good, with its hdb ddance set being great, with roost and EQ outside of dragon stab and dragon dance. Some other sets may pop up too.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/expansionpass/features/#ability-patch

Wanted to briefly bring this up ... it's not gunna make a big deal in light of everything else coming back, but the fossils get Sand Rush (and Slush Rush but who cares lol) as a result of this new item. Basically all hidden abilities are now available and accessible, and a bunch of old incompatibilities are now resolved (looking at Softboiled Unaware Clef!). Dracozolt and sand are the big winners here - Tyranitar is gunna win out a lot with the reintroduction of Psychics like Victini and the Latis, as well as stuff like Zapdos and Blace making a comeback, and having a mon practically built for victimizing Water-types is a great partner for Tar and a huge buff for the archetype in general. AV Tar is probably the only mon in the game that can switch in on Lele too, so there's that for the week it's gunna be legal.

Speaking of Tapus ...

A lot of people itt seem convinced that Rising Voltage turns Koko into immediate quickban material - don't get me wrong, it could still be broken, but I think it deserves a chance in the meta for a couple reasons. Firstly, Rising Voltage is a hugely conditional move - without Electric Terrain, its power is cut considerably, and with so many other Terrains in the meta, Specs Koko could easily find itself discouraged from locking into its best special move by an opposing Bulu or Rillaboom (or even Fini: 252 SpA Tapu Koko Rising Voltage (70 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 114-134 (33.2 - 39%) ). On top of this, the loss of Hidden Power [Ice] and the presence of so many viable Ground-types like Landorus, the Nidos, Zygarde (if it stays...), Hippo, Garchomp etc. makes Rising Voltage a lot harder to spam than I think a lot of people are expecting. Of course, it's an insanely strong move on an incredibly fast mon so it could still be centralising as fuck, but I don't think it should be the first to go ahead of stuff like Genesect, Ultra Beasts, Blaziken, Lele ...

I was doing some Koko calcs for fun though, and I think that a mixed set could be fun to play around with. 4 SpA Rising Voltage actually outdamages 252 Atk Wild Charge on a non-Choiced set, so Koko can keep its nuke to an extent while it takes advantage of all its new and colourful physical moves. Something like this set:

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- U-turn

There's probably a better EV split that gets the most out of Rising Voltage but just a fun thought.

4 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Electric Terrain: 246-290 (60.8 - 71.7%)
252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew in Electric Terrain: 230-270 (56.9 - 66.8%)

robobug returns with a vengeance, but unlike its glory days back in bw2 ou, there is no arena trap dugtrio or shadow tag gothitelle waiting in the shadows to trap whatever unlucky shmuck it pivoted out on with u-turn. its versatility is still there, but now sets with shift gear, blaze kick, and/or extreme speed won't be nature-locked, further adding to the unpredictability that'll come with it. that being said, they will still be shiny-locked. choiced sets will be as good as ever, while shift gear / rock polish sweeping sets will be nightmarish to deal with in the late game. i'm excited to give genesect a shot once it returns.
Actually untrue, and you have GO to thank for making Shiny Genesect be able to do whatever it wants with no reveals upon entry.

Just a minor correction, all other points seem good. :)

:tapu-lele: Tapu Lele has the best chance chance of getting quick banned, due to it's insane amounts of damage, getting 2HKO's on almost every pokemon, and difficulty to revenge kill due to it's psychic terrain. I guess you can just put in your Dark type on the switch, but then it dies to Focus Blast, Maybe Steel types become way better checks do to the removal of HP Fire.

:scizor: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Expanding Force (156 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Scizor in Psychic Terrain: 226-267 (65.8 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
:ferrothorn: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Expanding Force (156 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Psychic Terrain: 177-208 (50.2 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
:heatran: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Expanding Force (156 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran in Psychic Terrain: 188-222 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Oh.....
So the moment this thing should quick banned the moment it arrives
Yeah... Only Specially Defensive Jirachi, Bronzong, Aegislash and Celesteela evade the 2HKO, but barely and only Jirachi has recovery. This thing is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)