Lifestyle Do you have any goals or themes for this year?

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
(Author's Note: I haven't decided yet, but I could imagine myself or other users coming back to this thread yearly. As such, the title of this thread may be changed accordingly at a later time, should the rules allow it.)

Well, it's 2023 now. Happy belated new year to everyone, first and foremost. It's been a while since I've posted, though I will admit to lurking around and reading other people's posts in various threads when I get bored. Had I not been as busy, I would have gotten this thread earlier than I have, but hey, better late than never, I suppose.

Many people like to open the new year by trying to commit to some form of "New Year's Resolution", as they often call it. Whether or not someone actually sticks to those goals is... honestly none of my business. That being said, this got me thinking about something similar that I've been doing for each year since the beginning of 2020. I figured this could be a nice way to try and get back into discussion posting this year without doing anything too egregious (yes, that is how it's spelled). Since that time frame, I've set it upon myself to work towards a specific theme for each year as opposed to more traditional New Year's Resolutions. The theme I'm working on this year involves friendship building, which could mean one of several different things depending on your perspective. Last year (2022), my chosen theme was about gratitude and appreciation.

...this is the part of the introduction post where I feel like I need to say something else, but I really can't think of anything else I need to go over. The title hopefully speaks for itself, and it's nice to be back posting for at least a little bit before I get busy again. Once more, happy belated New Year's and happy posting!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Great post and Happy New Year!

I think your theme is a good one to build around, I would say if I had a theme for 2023 it would be growth, I've been pretty stagnant for 2022 and I feel like 2023 is the year I can just put my foot down and grow irl when it comes to my job, living situation, and helping my fiancée out while she goes to school full time.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Great post and Happy New Year!

I think your theme is a good one to build around, I would say if I had a theme for 2023 it would be growth, I've been pretty stagnant for 2022 and I feel like 2023 is the year I can just put my foot down and grow irl when it comes to my job, living situation, and helping my fiancée out while she goes to school full time.
First of all, W you for being supportive of both yourself and your fiancé, best wishes to both of you

I had a similar theme of "self-improvement" selected for 2021, looking towards areas including but not limited to: finally learning how to drive, potentially pursuing my first-ever active relationship, and further establishing myself as a successful college student. This definitely isn't the place I would try and explain how this all turned out in practice, so let's just put it this way... 2021 sucked. Sure, I got my driver's license and technically my own car around that time, but it didn't feel worth it at all given everything else that was going on at the time. Plus, my social tendencies were only ever getting worse before they started, and don't even get me started on summer break that year.

I would later see that the problem was I was spending too much time and energy in 2021 trying to force myself to be happy about things I either wasn't ready for yet or didn't need to be worrying about. My advice to you: when thinking about personal growth, try and focus your attention on ways to improve yourself and your appreciation of others, as opposed to long-term goals that are likely going to happen later on in the first place.

Hi, I hope to grow as a person to become more confident in myself again. In addition so well in college so I can take the next step in my life towards financial stability. I think my theme this year is to work towards building back myself.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In terms of 2023, I have a few goals.

1. In late 2022, I decided I needed to lose weight since I was a little overweight, according to BMI. I have been successful so far and am at a healthy weight. However, I still want to lose 5 to 10 more pounds in 2023

2. I will be swamped in 2023; however, I want to read five books from my large book collection while taking in-depth notes to return to them later.

3. I want to meet three new people and form new friendships.

4. During the summer I want to start playing chess more seriously and gain 100-200 elo.

Overall with goals, I find specific goals to be more effective than general goals as it gives me something to go after. I am interested in seeing what other goals people have for 2023.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
this year my biggest goal is focusing on my health, particularly strength and flexibility, as well as practicing some good habits for mental wellness. so far i'm 3 weeks strong on sticking to a routine for the first 2, mentally i'm doing my best to be super strict about drinking the same amount of water and moisturizing my face every single day. so far so good~

edit: oh yeah and i'm running AT LEAST once a week, nothing crazy just like a mile and a half, i wonder if i should be doing this at least twice a week so i dont go so long without some static cardio, but i might amend that habit once the weather warms up a little and the morning run doesn't seem so dreary !!

I have a shit ton of goals.

A few of them are:

-Quadruple my income

-measure more health related metrics such as blood glucose

-gain 30 pounds of lean muscle

-network with extremely ambitious people like myself

-continue to evolve into the best me

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
This is something I've been meaning to work on for a while now and I figured putting it here is a nice way to "commit" to it. My goals for 2023 is to be more consistent in everything I do. I would like to pursue a lot of other hobbies like comedy, singing, and art, as well as my relationships, so working on them more consistently is something I would like to do instead of being more sporadic and random. My inconsistency is probably due to my ADHD, but blaming it on ADHD feels like scapegoating the issue on something that's almost irrelevant and I feel like I can overcome it if I put my mind to it.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Can someone do me a favor? Tell me to stop making late-night posts and actually get some sleep. Okay thanks :)

So, uh, it’s February now. The month of that disgusting that my college friends can’t stop talking about. I believe the word was “love”?

I can count on one hand how many times I’ve ever had feelings for another person, but as the theme I set for this year was friendship, I figured now was as good a time as any to open up about this. I’m not expecting immediate results, of course, but at some point in the near future- maybe this month, maybe later, who knows- I do plan on trying to put myself out there for the first time, and with enough time and learning start thinking about what that aspect of my life is going to look like.

The last time I thought I had feelings for someone, I learned a lesson. Don’t ask my friends for advice. Ever. I remember like it was yesterday- it was over a group Discord call when I broke the news on a day in late May 2021. Wanting advice or even just some moral support, I was met with nothing but straight negativity. It was so bad I never got myself to try and talk to that specific someone ever since out of fear and embarrassment.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
The last time I thought I had feelings for someone, I learned a lesson. Don’t ask my friends for advice. Ever. I remember like it was yesterday- it was over a group Discord call when I broke the news on a day in late May 2021. Wanting advice or even just some moral support, I was met with nothing but straight negativity. It was so bad I never got myself to try and talk to that specific someone ever since out of fear and embarrassment.
If your friends give you nothing but negativity for something you feel strongly about, then they aren't your friends. Romantic pursuits fall in that category- finding a lifelong partner is something that people take to heart. Friends should aim to uplift each other instead of tearing each other down. Casual banter definitely exists, but there should be a well-defined line between straight up negativity and a few laughs here and there.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
Can someone do me a favor? Tell me to stop making late-night posts and actually get some sleep. Okay thanks :)

So, uh, it’s February now. The month of that disgusting that my college friends can’t stop talking about. I believe the word was “love”?

I can count on one hand how many times I’ve ever had feelings for another person, but as the theme I set for this year was friendship, I figured now was as good a time as any to open up about this. I’m not expecting immediate results, of course, but at some point in the near future- maybe this month, maybe later, who knows- I do plan on trying to put myself out there for the first time, and with enough time and learning start thinking about what that aspect of my life is going to look like.

If your friends are not supportive of you having feelings for someone and wanting to approach the situation with care, and respond with flat out negativity, then it brings question to the friends, not you. If being social in that sense doesn't feel natural to you (as it isn't for many, it's the less vocal majority), there is no reason why you wouldn't seek advice from people you think are out there for you. Certain friend groups try to stay hermetic for the wrong reasons. I'm sorry that happened to you.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
This is something I've been meaning to work on for a while now and I figured putting it here is a nice way to "commit" to it. My goals for 2023 is to be more consistent in everything I do. I would like to pursue a lot of other hobbies like comedy, singing, and art, as well as my relationships, so working on them more consistently is something I would like to do instead of being more sporadic and random. My inconsistency is probably due to my ADHD, but blaming it on ADHD feels like scapegoating the issue on something that's almost irrelevant and I feel like I can overcome it if I put my mind to it.
I’m not sure if this helps anything, but if it does, my parents have tried to teach me to view my autism diagnosis in a similar manner. We understand that I have different behaviors that may be a result of something different with my brain, but they also don’t want me to start using my autism as an excuse for various behaviors that may pop up later in life.

If your friends give you nothing but negativity for something you feel strongly about, then they aren't your friends. Romantic pursuits fall in that category- finding a lifelong partner is something that people take to heart. Friends should aim to uplift each other instead of tearing each other down. Casual banter definitely exists, but there should be a well-defined line between straight up negativity and a few laughs here and there.
If your friends are not supportive of you having feelings for someone and wanting to approach the situation with care, and respond with flat out negativity, then it brings question to the friends, not you. If being social in that sense doesn't feel natural to you (as it isn't for many, it's the less vocal majority), there is no reason why you wouldn't seek advice from people you think are out there for you. Certain friend groups try to stay hermetic for the wrong reasons. I'm sorry that happened to you.
First off, I appreciate the feedback. I wouldn’t call this a romantic pursuit by any means, so much as me wanting to try and talk to a specific friend more and maybe end up seeing where it goes. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people my age have at least been in a relationship before, and then there’s me who struggles to even want to talk or text on the phone most days. I would still say I’m on good terms with most of my friends, but I also haven’t forgotten what it’s like to try and open up about something only for these friends to just straight-up tell me “You shouldn’t even bother trying”.

On an unrelated note, the friend I wanted to talk to more might also have been interested in me at the time too, but it’s hard to say, me being Ash Ketchum levels of dense and all. You know something’s up when she manages to invite herself to my high school graduation party during the heat of an ongoing pandemic with a few of the parents in our friend group actually being in on it.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
-graduate college
-make a real effort to get back into dating. Didn't do anything during covid but I had a brief thing while studying abroad (cut off by returning home) that brought some confidence back
-read books for fun again
-have good times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)