Dog Eat Dog

ss234

bop.

Swag picture of fraxure wrecking druddigon by andrew3391

Dog Eat Dog

Hello. This is a team I built a few months ago with the help of manly user pkblizzard. It has 3 main win conditions in durant, emboar and fraxure, and uses lots of hazards to achieve this goal. The team is based around a bulky dd fraxure that col49 posted about in the ru ccat, and ye the rest of the team supports this is wearing down its checks and counters either through hazards or luring them in and weakening them. This team doesn't have much history or success, but it's beaten some p good ppl and its rlly fun to play with as long as durant doesn't miss. Also, the team is taonu themed because taonu is best.

Team Building

The team started with bulky dd fraxure. I'd always liked fraxure, but couldn't rlly get it to work because it simply wasn't bulky enough. Bulky dd had a much easier time setting up, although it missed out on things like sceptile, scarf pig + swellow at +1. It was also much more of a team player, as it took hits from sceppy and rotom-c etc. so much better with the extra bulk. Next I added durant and qwilfish-ant weakened things like steelix, while qwilfish set-up spikes on offensive teams main answer to fraxure-esca and opposing durant. Then rotom and emboar became team members. Rotom spinblocked, and was a second fighting resist and ground immunity, while emboar handled grass types and took advantage of the holes made by durant + qwilfish. Originally I had torterra in the 6th slot for the fwg core and another ground resist, but I was ridiculously weak to flying types so I changed tort to rhydon, which worked gr8 as it still handled volt switches and is ridiculously bulky on the physical side.

The Team

Imanalt (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 92 Spd / 88 HP / 84 SDef / 244 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn

Imanalt does a few crucial jobs for the team. Firstly, it sets sr which is v good, especially vs. faget moltres. Rhydon is also my main answer to strong mons entei, rotom, manly mon aggron, braviary + swellow and generally any physical mon without se stab's. Even then he checks standard spin tops at +0. The electric immunity is p nice for stopping things like scarf rotom-c volt switching errywhere. The main reason for rhydon over say steelix, apart from dealing with fire types, is the fact that rhydon is actually p scary offensively. STAB eq and rock blast plus megahorn coverage hits the vast amount of the meta fairly hard, bar things like mola and poliwrath. Even then, rhydon can weaken them for a durant / emboar sweep so its all good. The evs are p much standard with a bit of speed creep, because losing out to druddigon sux considering rhydon is a good check to it. Named after alty because rhydon gives him a doraku :]

Trop (Qwilfish) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 Def / 252 HP / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Taunt

Qwilfish is generally a rlly good utility mon. Setting up spikes, tspikes, carrying intimidate and dealing with some physical attackers is rlly useful. The main reason for qwil has got to be hazard related tho. You stop entry hazards from stuff like smeargle / crustle with taunt, absorb tspikes, and lays (t)spikes, which is crucial to wearing down things like slowking for an emboar sweep, getting steelix into kill range for fraxure low kick and getting a 2HKO on mola with tfang. Qwil does other things as well, since otherwise I'd prolly be running garbage man. Defensively, water / poison and intimidate is gr8 for handling things like scarf emboar plus some offensive waters, like sd gatr. Altho you don't counter because no twave, you can intimidate then taunt to stop further set-up. Moveset is bog standard for fast qwil, and as for the reasoning behind fast qwil itself-you stop smeargle and running defensive qwil + scarf emboar is redundant as far as durant + esca goes. Named trop because he looks stupid and qwil too hates druddigon.

Kenny (Rotom) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 148 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Kenny, the general glue of the team. The main reason for rotom over other ghost types, like tomb, is the electric STAB plus extra speed and ground immunity. This makes dealing with tops + moltres core much easier. It also means that rotom threatens out mola / qwil, so they can actually be lured in and broken down by ant / fraxure. The ground immunity stops rhydon and the like from plowing thru everything with eq, even though rotom is a terrible answer to some bulky grounds there coverage is generally a much safer switch in for durant + qwilfish. Also they can be burnt. Rotom's fighting immunity is also rlly handy, as relying on just fast qwil to deal with hari / lee doesn't always work. The normal immunity is cool for blocking spin altho rotom doesn't do particularly well vs. tauros / cinncy etc. The spread survives a +2 aqua jet from tops after sr and lefties, rest is put into spa. SubWisp > subsplit because then you stand a fighting chance against blocking tops, and I like the recovery from lefties and I don't particularly need the extra power. Named after kenny because gormless as shit looking like kenny irl!!!(ily rlly kenny)

Atomicllamas (Durant) @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Fang
- X-Scissor
- Superpower

Band ant is easily durant's best set in the metagame-you just click a STAB and watch things on offense die, as long as you don't miss ofc. Against stall / balanced it gets a bit harder, but usually superpower and thunder fang do p well against the switch ins to ant's STAB's, like aggron and qwilfish. Anyway, durant's main job on the team is to break down walls for a fraxure sweep and emboar clean. And in this regard it does very well, luring and weakening things like misdreavus, steelix and mola and doing large amounts of damage thanks to hustle and band. Another cool thing about band ant is that it nukes uxie with x-scissor, which is nice. Having a poke that can stop uxie paralysing and just being a nuisance is v useful. Thanks to its stellar physical bulk and gr8 typing, durant can check mons like sawsbuck and cinncy, although his lack of special bulk stops him from dealing with too much. Named after llamas because he can be annoying af when he misses, but most of the time he wrecks.

Molk (Fraxure) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 184 Spd / 180 Atk / 120 HP / 24 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Low Kick

Molk :] The main win condition vs. stall / balanced, as well as potential hole puncher for emboar. Thanks to the increased bulk-this set's sub survives a circle throw from poliwrath and 2 waterfalls from mola, and generally makes you a lot bulkier-this set has a much easier time setting up against thing like entei + rotom-c. The speed loss is fairly dramatic over the standard max speed set, but I like being able to nuke stall much better. So yeah as mentioned fraxure is my sweeper, and thanks to entry hazards from rhydon + qwil, wow support from rotom and durant weakening potential checks fraxure does rather well in this regard. Imo the best thing about fraxure as a dd user over say crawdaunt is the typing-resistances to electric, fire, grass and water are amazing as a set-up sweeper in ru-you only have to look at drudd to see this. The evs have kinda been explained-the speed gets the jump on sigi and cryo that aim for sigi at +1. The moveset is fairly simple too-outrage for manly STAB, dd because dd, sub to screw shit like wrath and low kick for steels bar ant and esca, which are weakened heavily by hazards. Named after molk because molk is da best :]

Cherub Agent (Emboar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Sleep Talk

Pig is the obligatory scarfer. Cleans up nicely after durant breaks qwil etc., especially with entry hazards weakening slowking and the like. Pig is also cool defensively-obviously if you play emboar like this then you prolly won't be able to clean successfully tho. But he can be used defensively and is my main lilligant switch in thanks to sleep talk + grass resistance. He also handles esca and durant nicely, and can be used to switch into sceptile once. But pigs main role is to clean teams with his strong STAB's, using head smash now and then to weaken his own standard switch ins, such as doing 50% to offensive slowking iirc. Head Smash also nukes moltres, which is nice as otherwise I would have to sac a poke to kill full health molt. Spread is standard, max speed because sceppy + opposing pig speed tie. Moveset has been explained-head smash for moltres, blitz and spower cos STAB's that hit very hard and have excellent coverage, sleep talk because erryone needs a sleep absorber-having to run it on a scarfer kinda sux but o well. Named after cherub because emboar is a bro but dies too quickly like cherub on irc :[

Threalist

Sceptile: fuk sceppy. Faster than ant, cant' rlly switch in on anything bar qwilfish but ye once it gets in it generally gets a kill. Emboar and fraxure check once, frax can't switch in tho. Ye scary mon :[

Jynx: actually p annoying since it ruins my hazard core + fraxure. Durant and pig can't switch in that well because durant has piss poor spdef and lovely kiss, while emboar is nuked by psyshock. Luckily its rare and hazard weak but still it sux to face.

Conclusion

This has been a rlly fun team to use so yeah rate / steal / hate altho this last one not so much. Shoutout to Hakumen for helping test loads, and thanks to erryone in #taonu and #rarelyused for being bros. See you guys in gen 6 ru! Also this team is better than llamas team js.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Named after llamas because he can be annoying af when he misses, but most of the time he wrecks.
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Also this team is better than llamas team js.
t(-_-t)

Anyways, this is a pretty cool team, although it is 6-0ed by Jynx + anything that can switch into Emboar. I actually think that one thing that could really help your Jynx weakness, and possibly help with your Sceptile problem, is changing sub on Rotom-N to Trick, and lefties to scarf (this is actually a really weird set and probs won't work, lol). This gives you two opportunities to outspeed Sceptile (unburden loses to fish anyways), as well as something else for Jynx, because Jynx could really fuck up this team if it is like LK + Sub + 2 attacks. Also, max jolly Fraxure outspeeds Sceptile after one boost (unlike your current spread), Swellow after one, and scarf Jynx at +2, I'm not sure where you would take the EVs from, but it is something to consider. At the very least you should put in 228 speed EVs for Fraxure, which outspeeds neutral nature Sceptile at +1.

ss234

bop.
Ye jynx is a nig. I have to not let it switch in ez and get hazards up asap-also durant checks jynx so I'm not completely boned by it. I'll give bulky scarf rotom a shot tho because gotta go fast and another sceppy / jynx check is nice. Also 228 speed on fraxure means stall rapes me :[ thx for the rate bad user n_n

Last edited:
nah, that's cool, don't even name me after my set, I didn't wanna be popular in the first place.
:[[[

jk jk, cool team shadownumbersuser n_n Obviously a fan of Fraxure myself, and it's cool to see the best Qwilfish being used (even if I'd prolly be running Custap w/boom or something more fun '-' ). Anyway, this team covers stuff pretty well, and has some really cool synergy imo. However, it does of course encounter some problems with some select, but pertinent, threats. Sceptile and Jynx (Jynx is so strong, oml) are of course issues, as you state, and while you don't address it, specially-based Water-types come across as issues to me as well; neither of your Water resists take strong surfs / pumps well at all (and Fraxure would rather not come in to take hits mid-game anyway), and they're offered a moderate amount of opportunities to come in. The most notable issue here lies in Specs / OTR Slowking, who can come in Qwilfish / Emboar / poorly-locked Durant and either fire off Surfs or set up TR (Fraxure can take a hit from Lefties OTR, but it'd rather not). SS Oma, while not finding as many opps to set up (vs.Emboar and STAB-locked Durant, though Ant still has a 18.75% chance to OHKO after SR) That said, some of my suggestions are somewhat give-and-take, so take'em with a grain of salt haha.

One method of going about this would be through the use of a more specially bulky Druddigon > Rhydon. SR Druddigon is kinda lame 'n "standard" and whatever, but it does provide a really solid sponge for specially-based Water- and Grass-type attacks, while offering some similar advantages Rhydon provides (Fire- and Electric-type buffering, generalized fatmon, etc.). It can also bait Steel-types pretty efficiently and wear them down with hazards, which is neat for Fraxure, if only for Ferroseed. Plus, you were running lame Megahorn over cool SD / RP / Roar / Protect anyway, so it's not even that big of a loss n_n

However, dropping Rhydon does open up the team to fast Normal-types, particularly Tauros and Swellow (+Cincinno and Scarf Braviary I guess, but I don't like them n_n ), which needs to be accounted for. To accommodate, I'd consider the use of a bulky Choice Scarf Rotom over your current set (credit to august, etc. etc.); this offers your team a fairly capable pivot into such Pokemon, while still maintaining momentum nicely and offering similar purpose as your current Rotom. This also makes Jynx a bit more manageable (lack of investment makes it a kinda meh answer to Sceptile, but Drudd+Emboar keep it in check decently atm), as well as offering you some leg room when dealing with SS Oma. It also [sorta] gives Ferroseed one less window to Spike up, which is cool-ish for match-ups against Bird spike-stacking (though those teams kinda hate Rotom in the first place). I can understand the potential "two scarfers=bad" mantra, but honestly I've never been a fan of consolidating revenge-killing to Scarfboar, since it misses out on a bunch of speed-boosting sweepers.

oh, and give durant the extra 4 evs. like, ik it's atomicllamas 'n all, but still '-'

Druddigon @ Leftovers | Rough Skin
Adamant | 232 HP / 96 Atk / 180 SpD
Stealth Rock | Dragon Tail | Earthquake | Protect / Sucker Punch

Speed creep if you want, though it hardly needs it. DTail > Outrage because it capitalizes on your hazards, and locking into Outrage is lame since it compromises it to other Drudd, which is gonna be more beneficial for them than it is you most of the time. Protect because Drudd's a great user of the move (scouts Trick on Rotom(-C)s, Manectrics, makes overloading it harder, etc.) and pseudo ProTox, but priority is decent too.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
Timid | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Volt Switch | Shadow Ball | Trick | Thunderbolt

But yhe, good stuff imo.

edit: oh, scarf rotom already got mentioned. welp, mine has a cute sprite, so that counts as a contribution, right????????

ss234

bop.
drudd isn't as manly as rhydon, and I didn't find king that hard to deal with thanks to mhorn rhydon, durant, head smash pig 2HKO'ing, rotom and fraxure but I guess with tr up and with fraxure weakened it can be an issue. Special, somewhat fast water types like rott can be annoying tho they'll be hard prI'll give it a try if not only because doubl dragon is swag. And bulky scarf rotom I'll be trying out fo sure. Thx for the rate bud :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)